My new DIY chapter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

My new DIY chapter

Okay... I'm reworking the entire old one, because I was just trying to come up with explainations on why they had loads of Dreadnought... which I realise is not the way to go about it (though I would loave to field 6 Dreads... *drool*). So I'm starting to work on the whole thing again.

I know I want loads of Bionics, just because I love the conversion possibilities, as well as close ties to the Adeptus Mechanicus, and each marine, in a minor way, to be a techmarine. And the theme of the chapter is simple; the fear of death. But then I was asking myself how they could be stricken with such fear. I came up with ideas like a harsh homeworld or a geneseed mutation, but they tasted odd. But then I was thinking back to a former ideas of corruption in the highest ranks, before it was to show their downfall and then them fighting to overcome it, but that seemed odd... So I'm now thinking something allong the lines of they prospered for a decent period of time, but slowly things in the upper ranks turned sour, they continued to follow their commander, however one day he ordered them to do something drastic (as of yet I'm not sure), which his men refused to do and realised the taint in their command. Many of the marines would fight on the side of the commanders, however most would fight against it, in the end the ones who fought against the commanders won, however their numbers were extremely low. Due to this they altered themselves drastically, and went on a Penitent Crusade to beg the Emperor for forgiveness of the chapter's misdeeds.

So, as such they are constantly at war and afraid for the chapter's continued existance, forming their fear of death. And due to the constant war they are forced to be in they must be able to preform quick fixes to their vehicles, and themselves. That's where bionics come in, they are the fastest way to repair injury, none of that 3 hours of a marine's super fast healing, no siree, we want that 10 hour process of cutting off limbs and replacing them. But, yeah...

And actually just while writing this I kind of figured out how they would have ties to the AdMech, as well as that extreme thing they were forced to do... Their commanders could tell them to destroy some relic of technology, or tell them to attack an AdMech ship. If the first one they could return it, if the second one they could have already had ties to the AdMech, and this would cause them to realise how insane their commanders had become.

I'm thinking I should go for the second one as messing around with relics or STC tech can be tricky.

EDIT

So, what do you guys think?

Also, about drop pods, do they have parachutes or reverse thrusters? Or do they just slam into the ground?

Last edited by archonofdeath; April 16th, 2007 at 03:09.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Regarding the drop pods, they slam into the ground. Watch the way it works in DoW; as much as it may not be 100% accurate, it seems very plausible and funky.

The fear of death thing is a difficult one to engineer, so long as they're dying for the Emperor they're not bothered in the least. However, take that away and they will presumably worry about their lives/deaths being pointless, and so you hmay have a way in there. This works with the corruption idea, which could tie in with the hatred of the flesh if Slaanesh was involved in the original corruption. However, there's a debate about how much marines can actually feel fear, and I'll leave others to comment in detail on that as I'm not overly up on the subject myself.

The notion of creating their own tech... again I'm a bit iffy about it. Yes, the Mentors may do it, but they're a minor chapter with very little that's official. Particularly if you want ties to the AdMech, things need to be done "properly", which means no tinkering, as it would offend the Machine Spirit of whatever you're trying to fix.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

No, no, I erased that from the reworking. They aren't going to make their own stuff, or mess with heavy duty bionics. They're just all, in some way, a Techy... fluff reasons being that they need to be able to quickly and effectively make battlefield repairs, but the real reason being that that's always been a big part in my idea for my bionic techmarine based army. I could always say that every marine is inflicted with the fear from induction and hint towards it being because of a flaw in the geneseed (due to being like 20th generation Iron Hands), without explicitly stating it as such.

And as for the Drop Pods, thanks. That will help with the modeling of them, though I don't have and can't get DoW (my good computer got stolen by my lousy sister and I got her boyfriend's crumby 2000 one), but I just needed to know to find out whether I should have them set up as partially underground or not.

Well, here's a quickly writen rundown of the chapter:

A new chapter is born in an early founding using the Iron Hands geneseed.
    As time goes by it is found that older marines tend to become paranoid, for no explicit reason, mainly feeling apprehension for their oncoming death
    The High Command begins to search desperately for ways of prolonging their lives, and then the taint of chaos slowly seeps in, offering them extended lifetimes, and security.
    This begins to trickle down, and the First Company begins to fall to the whims of Chaos.
    The chapter begins to go astray due to corrupted orders and this begins to escalate until finally they are ordered to attack members of the Adeptus Mechanicus who they were protecting on a mission to recover lost technologies.
    Realizing what was happening the members of the chapter began to strike back against their commanders.
    They realize what’s going on and send a message to still loyal members of the Chapter and a civil war breaks loose ending in the outright destruction of their homeworld, but final elimination of the chaos taint.
    They are brought before the High Lords and commanded to go on a Penitent Crusade for a thousand years. The chapter’s numbers are horribly low but they do as they are commanded.
    And for a thousand years they go on their crusade, due to their low manpower they tend to be heavily mechanized, and what little squads they do use they will stop at nothing to assure their safety.
    As a protection against their corruption happening again they prolong their lives through the use of the machines which have become so heavily a part of their chapter, using bionics to lengthen their lives instead of chaos corruption. This has lead to heavy use of bionics.
    Due to them being constantly at war and being heavily mechanized every member has been forced into knowing how to make swift battlefield repairs, and this has run deep into their core making many members into Techmarines.
    The Adeptus Mechanicus who they were originally ordered to murder have become (through the heavy use or techmarines) strong allies, and were the first to introduce the use of bionics into the chapter.
    This combat doctrine has run through to the present, even though their crusade is long over.
    Last edited by archonofdeath; April 16th, 2007 at 21:47.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

+ Reply to Thread