hive Fleet Makareth - story and background - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

hive Fleet Makareth - story and background

G'day everyone, I just though that I'd post up a short story and some back ground stuff on my tyranid army. It was done for a tournament and I got best army for it. My army centres around the use of larger tyranids and faster ones.

Just wanted to know what you all think??

Here it is:

Abalienate

A sombre mist caressed the war torn citadel and the coveted fortress as it waited atop the temple ruins. An eerie calm infiltrated the pale evening sky, and the ancient surrounding jungles sighed expectantly, awaiting yet more bloodstains to macabrely decorate their primeval undergrowth.
    Captain Vaal removed his helmet in order to wipe once more at the clean visor, a ritualistic distraction. The aliens had been attacking steadily but unthreateningly all night, and as one of the planet’s moons rose above the forbidden horizon, his Imperial Fists’ thin air of calm remained as they dispassionately exterminated the packs of gaunts which had made any misguided attempt to approach the fortress. Vaal was satisfied with the clinical efficiency of his siege troops, but his mind belied him any professional contentment with which any such execution would normally reward him.

He remembered the parting words of an old mentor.
    Never trust an alien.
    Far from being mindless animals, Vaal knew the creatures to have a conscious disregard for the basic rules of engagement observed by most civilised races, born of an insatiable bloodlust for the sadistic and to some, unthinkable.
    Vaal, however, was no neophyte when it came to combat. He shouldered his plasma pistol and felt its companionable weight against his shoulder, feeling reassurance and at the same time wondering what force must reduce a man so that he called his weapon companionable. A blur shot through the ferns some half a league to the North, rippling his rarely light-hearted reverie, as would a stone in a lake.

They were attacking more frequently now.

A Space Marine to Vaal’s left fired a bolt of plasma into the twilight, inflaming the sentient creature swiftly. Replacing his helmet, the Captain gestured to his Marines to reform their defence lines, an action which elevated the pre-battle anticipation of his men to an excruciating level.

Captain Vaal’s misgivings about the intentions of this seemingly awkward alien invasion were entrenched by the uncertainty with which his seasoned troops were now intoxicated. He scanned the horizon for the thousandth time that hour.

Suddenly, to the East, a flock of birds fled for the open skies. The jungle fractured.
    A swarm of gaunts leapt through the outer defences of the crumbling citadel to the West, prompting a hurried reaction from the momentarily distracted Space Marines.

The rupture in the forest bled towards them. An unidentifiable force birthed a fresh tremor, tearing groves of foliage in foreign imposition.
    An unearthly roar that would have induced in any mere human a terrified psychosis instantly tore apart any of the atmosphere’s lingering composure.
    Vaal braced himself, yelling instructions to the troops.

Something larger was coming.

And an Inquisitorial Report:

History of Imperial Contact with Hive Fleet Makareth

From the Notes of High Inquisitor Harl Kiren

The fifth known incursion of the xenos known as Tyranids occurred in Imperial Fist held space. The Fifth Company had stationed in a large fortified Chapter outpost on the central planet of Taron system, Taron 4.
    Much of the Chapters main recruiting was conducted in the Taron system and therefore the security of the planet was of paramount importance to the Imperial Fists.
    Initially it appeared that the Tyranid invasion was of little consequence. A small genestealer incursion was discovered and purged while a number of creatures of the Lictor genus were also killed.

When the first waves of gaunts and small leader beasts arrived and began assault against the largest Hive, the Imperial Fists appeared to have been preparing for quite some time. The battle barge Titan’s Wrath had arrived and begun resupply of Godwyn Bolter 0.75 and 0.9 calibre ammunition and missile stores. The outer walls of the hive had been heavily braced and fortified with auto turrets and promethium rigs.
    Therefore it would have been expected that the Imperial fists could easily hold their fortified position for quite some time against what appeared to be a minor incursion.

After approximately one month of sporadic assault, it appears that the Norn Queens of Hive Fleet Makareth began to counter this heavy, high-ammunition suppression with larger, more resilient creatures. Emergency transmissions timed toward the end of the siege support this.
    At this point, there is a sudden break in communications and the presumed destruction of the Imperial Fists stronghold.

It appeared that the Tyranids had developed larger, stronger creatures as well as faster elite beasts adept at infiltrating the strong fortifications of the Imperial Fists. This was a major contributing factor to the Fall of Taron. After the large creatures broke through the fortifications, the beleaguered Imperial Fists were soon overrun.

This fact, added to the small amount of very high strength weaponry that the Imperial Fists had and the large amount of lower strength weaponry available was unable to halt the advance of the large creatures.

Therefore it appears that Hive Fleet Makareth has developed heavier siege animals of the general designation Carnifex.

=I=

Future contact by Imperial forces with Makareth should exercise caution as this Hive Fleet does not follow normally understood Tyranid swarm battle convention. Be prepared for heavy assault by large Carnifex Genus Creatures.

But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

I liked how the story cut off at a suspenceful moment and was then followed by the Inquisitorial report. Unconventional but effective.

Just out of curiousity, is your army a Monsterous creature army?
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very strong, I can see why you got best army. Only thing that seems odd is that there was a ship in orbit but it made no effort to take down the nornquean directly. Just seems a tad inconsistant.
    Quote Originally Posted by RecklessFable View Post
    Thought for the Day: Armylists are a three-edged sword. The list your backstory wants. The list that is optimal. The list of models you actually own.
    And HOW.

(\_/)
    (X.X)
    (><) This is Dead Bunny.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MyArmys: Points: W/L/D

Imperial Guard: 2250: In Progress.
    Necron: 500: 2/1/1

Join the Imperium today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Yeah, a small oversight on my part. It was done the night before the tournament

Pleased you guys like it.
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

+ Reply to Thread