Where's the Animation??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's the Animation???

40k rocks. The intro to dawn of war was sweet. Are their any movies or comics?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

No movies.. but there's at least one comic. Check out the black library webpage and look for graphic novels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damnation Crusade is a recent 40k comic, I believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, when I said comic I meant cartoons. You know, turn on the TV and get your warhammer 40k thing on.

I find it strange that this universe has nothing in the way of motion media. If I was rich I'd think about producing something myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Well.. GW is a pretty small company with a minority audience. I doubt they could afford to make a full length commercially successful film or TV series.

Also, this isn't Japan.. Animation is for kids, and CGI is still prohibitively expensive. While I think a 40k based animation would be beautiful if done in a very gritty style (perhaps kind of like 'the second renaissance' from the animatrix) it would be a big commercial risk, at least here in the UK. If warhammer really catches on globally and becomes a little more mainstream, I can see something happening there..

Actually.. I have a trailer on my hardrive for an in production film called 'Damnatus.' I believe it's being made on an unofficial basis by a German amateur production group and looks.. well.. not too dreadful, even if the production values seem a bit crude. But hey, these people don't have the Hollywood budgets we're all used to..

Here we are.. Check out the revised trailer..

http://www.damnatus.com/seite.php?file=film

It seems a lot more based on the Inquisitor setting than on 40k.. Which is fine by me, 2 hours of space marines fighting would be pretty boring and cost intensive and Inquisitor is way more atmospheric.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

415 (x8)

Problem is that Damnatus will be all in German, and looks like the sets were made from cheap cardboard soaked in cow spit.

Plus they'll take about five years to finish it. I've seen really, really good-looking and polished fan films for things like Batman vs. Superman, Superman V (before the Bryan Singer reboot) and so on that must have never gotten past the trailer, despite looking pretty damn awesome. You can't find those films anywhere. Even if they were made, they weren't distributed. The only company that could disseminate a 40k film is Games Workshop, and they definitely aren't interesting in risking their fortunes on a venture like that when they can make perfectly reliable piles of gold selling and re-selling codices and models to us suckers.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ze_poodle View Post
    Problem is that Damnatus will be all in German, and looks like the sets were made from cheap cardboard soaked in cow spit.
    You're kidding me.. The sets are amazingly well chosen considering they're just real bunkers and abandoned industrial areas in southern Germany, it's the props, effects and occasionally hammy acting which seem to be letting them down.

And hey, what's wrong with films in German? Though it must admit, some of the names sound off when they're embedded in a wave of German dialogue..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

415 (x8)

Ah, it's an alright film. I just have a thing for comedic hyperbole. I still remain skeptical of its ability to reach post-production, though.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ze_poodle View Post
    Ah, it's an alright film. I just have a thing for comedic hyperbole. I still remain skeptical of its ability to reach post-production, though.
    Meh.. I'm not sure that's the point. I doubt they're going to market and sell it as anything serious. It's not even produced by a production company, Spharentor is a web forum..

Given that, even coming out with a trailer is quite an achievement in my eyes. Your standard film in the cinema which runs for a couple of weeks will automatically cost more than most of us will earn in our lifetimes just to market.. That's the world we live in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    Animation is for kids, and CGI is still prohibitively expensive.
    The computer graphics used in the opening to Dawn of War were so damn cool that we used to watch it before gaming. I believe a producer could take any one of the awesome stories/themes of 40k and build a nice 90 minute movie.

If I had it my way, the movie would be made by the same team that made 300. Just imagine the ferocity of that film-making within the 40k universe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast