My Sept Fluff(first draft - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Sept Fluff(first draft

Title explains it all really. Please be nice as i'm pretty new to tau(so there might be some fluff errors. Sorry if its a bit long. Opinions and suggestions very much welcome...

Sept Name: Bu’shido
    Sphere: Outer Third
    Commander Name: Shas’el Bu’shido Mont’yr referred to as ‘The Blooded One”
    Colour Scheme: That one off Cities of Death (white armour with red cloth)

Sept Background: One of the septs created during the Third Sphere Expansion, Bu’shido was taken primarily by a Force from the septs of D’yanol and Sac’ea. The fight to take the planet from the Imperium was fierce and bloody. Seeing how ruthlessness of the Imperial guard regime only strengthened the Shas’la’s dedication to the ideals of the Greater Good. However, after several exhausting months of hard fighting the planet was eventually taken.
    Less than a year later an Ork Warlord led a WAAAGH! against Bu’shido. The Fire Warriors could not keep the orks at bay and many times they would have to fend them off with primitive weapons like swords and spears. Some Fire Warriors became very skilled with melee weapons and could even match the orks in close combat. The Fire Warriors started to develop their own code of honour. Some Fire Warriors became experts in guerilla warfare and launched a series of surprise attacks against the Orks.
    Slowly the Orks sheer weight of numbers began to tell. The Tau were forced to retreat further and further up the mountains. As their cause seemed lost a large Tau fleet entered the system. The mysterious newcomers swept through the Orks like a divine wind. The leader of this enigmatic force wielded a mighty blade. They made no attempt at communication with the Bu’shido warriors. The Ork force was utterly beaten and not a single one survived. Just as suddenly as they had arrived the newcomers disappeared. A few days after the climax of the battle a second Tau entered the system. The members of this fleet, claiming to be the relief force, had no knowledge of the previous relief force. This event is shrouded in Bu’shido legend. However, as is always the case after a WAAAGH! Bu’shido has been plagued by feral orks ever since.
    Bu’shido is geography is dominated by mountains and valleys. Tau settlements are separated into fiefs and there are over 100 fiefs on the planet. Fiefs are constantly under threat from the feral orks and so each fief is put under the supervision of a Shas’el and his loyal bodyguard of fire warriors though the Shas’el ultimately answers to the Ethereals.
    Bu’shido is considered backwards by other septs and their arcane practices are looked upon with contempt. The planet is dominated by the fire caste, though there are many earth and air caste members as well. Bu’shido culture is dominated by their code of honour with all fire caste members strictly following it. The Ritual of the Ta’lissera is a fundamental aspect of Bu’shido culture with every fire warrior squad, earth caste worker team and air caste fighter squadron undertaking the Ritual.
    Bu’shido has gained notoriety amongst other septs for its creation of the Shas’kan, a military unit that actually seeks to get in close combat with the enemy. When a Shas’la, who has undergone the Ritual of the Ta’lissera, loses his bond mates in battle he will become reclusive and depressed. The Shas’kan fight with minimal armour as it inhibits their movement. They are deadly warriors specializing in use with the katana sword and the pulse bow. A Shas’kan unit does not undertake the Ritual of the Ta’lissera, they merely search for the enemies in packs, they aim only for and honourable death in the name of the Greater Good.

Commander History: Shas’o Bu’shido O’kais was a rising star in the fire caste. He was hand picked by Shadowsun to help take an Imperial Forge World. He gathered some of Bu’shido’s best pilots and warriors and set out. The planet turned out to be fiercely protected and the landing zones were stubbornly contested. The battle turned into a stalemate with neither side able to maintain the upper hand for long. The tide turned in favour of the Imperial guard when reinforcements arrived. In a desperate move he packed explosives onto all his cadres’ piranhas and space fighters and sent them on suicide runs against the enemy. With the guard on the defensive Shas’o Bu’shido O’kais and all the other Tau forces were able to retreat from the system without major loss of life. However, once they had returned to friendly space Shas’o Bu’shido O’kais was brought before the Ethereals by an angry Shadowsun. Though his actions had been in service of the greater good his tactics were considered barbaric and he was demoted to the rank of Shas’el. From that point on he was given the title Mont’yr with the blood of the Tau he had sacrificed on his hands.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Hmmm... Interesting, but there are a few things...

Firstly, a Tau will never be able to beat an Ork in close combat. Period. End of story. Orks are six-nine foot tall masses of moving fungus. They can rip a man's arms off without a thought. And there is never just one. There is a reason why they call it the 'Green Tide'. Space Marines have trouble once Orks actually get that close, and lets not get into just how good Space Marines are.

Commander Farsight is in the Enclaves, if he's even alive. He doesn't care about the Empire, nor the Orks. He hates orks, for sure, but his Enclaves are largely mercenary forces from the information we have. And he set up the Enclaves long before the beginning of the Third Sphere.

And again, Tau are simply not capable of standing up to ANY opponent in close combat. It's just phsically a mis-match. They are shorter, generally weaker, and they have poor eyesight. A unit that seeks to get into close combat is a unit seeking suicide. That's what Kroot are there for.

Please explain a Pulse Bow.

Hope this helped a bit.

-The Professor of all things Curly-
    "My capacity for hard work is immense. It's my willingness to do said work that's lacking..."

Fluffmaster Clan Member

Shas'El A'ava Mont'Ein D'ran O'Kroot - Tau Fluff HERE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly, a Tau will never be able to beat an Ork in close combat. Period. End of story. Orks are six-nine foot tall masses of moving fungus. They can rip a man's arms off without a thought. And there is never just one. There is a reason why they call it the 'Green Tide'. Space Marines have trouble once Orks actually get that close, and lets not get into just how good Space Marines are.
    Never say never. I would pick skill over brute force anyday. I'm not saying that all the Tau could do it, just that some very talented ones could. It would be about 1 in 1000. Also, while there is a lot of Orks it is not always the case after the Tau have done therir shooting. However I admit that the cc abilities in my fluff may have been exaggerated though it wouldn't be the first time someone has exaggerated something in 40k.

Commander Farsight is in the Enclaves, if he's even alive. He doesn't care about the Empire, nor the Orks
    I figure since he was a playable character that he would leave the enclaves. The whole Farsight situation is mysterious so I figured, why not.

He hates orks, for sure, but his Enclaves are largely mercenary forces from the information we have.
    I was not aware of this, could you point to some fluff that supports this theory?

And again, Tau are simply not capable of standing up to ANY opponent in close combat. It's just phsically a mis-match. They are shorter, generally weaker, and they have poor eyesight.
    Things like karate easily make up for lack of strength and height. Also, the Tau have never really focused on cc skills so there exact potenrisl is unknown.

That's what Kroot are there for.
    Yeah but i don't like kroot models and i wanted to have samuri in my army to continue the Japanese theme.

The pulse bow is rulewise the same as a kroot gun. Fluffwise it is a normal bow with arrows made of a lightweight but very strong material.When it hits its target it detonates a small pulse charge which kills the target.

Thankyou for replying. It did indeed help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops double post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I was not aware of this, could you point to some fluff that supports this theory?
    4th ed. Tau Codex.. I'm sure it says it somewhere.

And http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/oshovah/. Last paragraph..

They're mercenaries.. Not only that, they're mercenaries who don't like and want nothing to do with the Tau Empire. They'd be more likely to stand off and laugh than dive in to help..

Things like karate easily make up for lack of strength and height. Also, the Tau have never really focused on cc skills so there exact potenrisl is unknown.
    Tau have subhuman hand eye coordination, and bad depth perception (which I think the helmet compensates for.) While I'm not ixnaying your idea.. I think presenting them as some kind of awesome ninja masters is a bit much.. Why not just give the fire warriors a samurai theme instead. Original samurai generally fought with bows anyway, so fighting at range is perfectly samurai-ish..

Yeah but i don't like kroot models and i wanted to have samuri in my army to continue the Japanese theme.
    Yeah.. About that.. I'm all for it, but sometimes it's a little blatant. Calling your sept 'Bu'shido', for example, is a little too obvious.. in fact, it's almost comedic.

The pulse bow is rulewise the same as a kroot gun. Fluffwise it is a normal bow with arrows made of a lightweight but very strong material.When it hits its target it detonates a small pulse charge which kills the target.
    So you're a high tech race which uses particle accelarator guns.. Yet you equip some troops with bows?

I'd give them some kind of scaled down pulse weapon which is smaller (explaining the lower stats) rather than trying to justify this one..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    So you're a high tech race which uses particle accelarator guns.. Yet you equip some troops with bows?
    I'd give them some kind of scaled down pulse weapon which is smaller (explaining the lower stats) rather than trying to justify this one..
    Or you could model them more like Chewbaca's Bowcaster from star wars if you really wanted the bow looking idea that might give you something, but I pretty much agree with Mantis on every point he made about the Tau here. Especially when it comes to the CC attributes. Even if you just look at their game play stats, they have an appalling INT which doesn't lend itself in my eyes to a race that is going to develop super hand speed and martial arts capabilities, at least not enough to best any Ork.

Good try though.

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4th ed. Tau Codex.. I'm sure it says it somewhere.

And http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/oshovah/. Last paragraph..

They're mercenaries.. Not only that, they're mercenaries who don't like and want nothing to do with the Tau Empire. They'd be more likely to stand off and laugh than dive in to help..
    Well theres no arguing with this.

Tau have subhuman hand eye coordination, and bad depth perception (which I think the helmet compensates for.) While I'm not ixnaying your idea.. I think presenting them as some kind of awesome ninja masters is a bit much..
    I'm not saying they are ninja masters, just that they are capable of doing some damage in CC. I'll be using kroot stats which are by no means the deadly CC masters of the Universe. As you say the helmet can compensate for some of their physical disabilities. Why not use technology to help them do better in CC. You say that Tau getting into CC is suicidal-these guys are just that.

Yeah.. About that.. I'm all for it, but sometimes it's a little blatant. Calling your sept 'Bu'shido', for example, is a little too obvious.. in fact, it's almost comedic.
    I knew even as I wrote it that it was obvious but I'm no good with coming up with names so i just stuck with it.

Well i'll just do that then

Thanks for the feedback guys
    and Thanks for the bowcaster idea aussiedave

+ Reply to Thread