Possible solution to strength discrepancies. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible solution to strength discrepancies.

This is just a thought, but I think it makes more sense to think of the strength scale as an exponential function. It makes rules and fluff more in line in my mind. Think about the Ork/IG/SM arguements. If the scale was exponential in say, base five, that would mean that an SM would be 5X as strong as IG. As Orks are only, say 3X as strong as a human, they still have strength 3.

It also makes sense in terms of other weapon strengths. A heavy bolter is 5X as strong as a standard bolt gun and 25X as powerful as a lasgun. A lascannon is 5X a meltagun and 15625X a bolter. As a Tau railgun can (supposedly) pass straight through a landraider, this kind of scale makes more sense than a straight-up sliding scale where each point of strength adds the same amount. If the increment between a lasgun and a bolter were applied all the way up the strength scale, then the fluff power of weapons falls more in line with rules, or the other way around, however you prefer.

People can say that rules and fluff don't mix, but I think that using an exponential scale makes more sense than a straight scale. As I said in the beginning, just a thought.

-TDP

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with your reasoning, but this kind of analysis is best computed. A video game would handle this type of thing much better than a d6 vs d6 chart.
    I read your book!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Awesome idea, and yes it does make sense. However, I think base 5 is a bit much. Maybe base 3 would be more realistic?
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I chose base five as it has nice computable values. I think three seems a little low. Bolter only three times as strong as a human with a plain sword/fist/knife/pointy stick? I think my system needs tweaking but it works much better for about STR 2-7. After that, it gets kinda out of hand. In a sense, STR 8 enters a whole new realm, as barring melta/lance/rending/tankhunter, STR 8 is the minimum needed to have any effect on AV 14. I can't think of a better system, but you could argue the rediculous numbers are actually reflective of just how powerful STR 8+ really is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

But then you get into the game breaking realm of rending=( With the assault cannon easily passing bullets through armour 14 and troops alike despite it being much much much weaker (625 or so) than a rail gun.

While I like the notion, the old second edition stats give you a much better system to start and compare with. Just something to think about. And with the old save modifiers this helped emensly too, seeing as different weapons had different range modifiers and save mods vs different armours.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

I think it's a little confusing. I didn't do well in maths, so exponential functions = not a huge fan.

Give me a reference chart any day.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread