The fluff of 40k! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fluff of 40k!

Hey all!

Im curious, what do you think is the coolest "fluff" in the universe of 40k?

I look at some races and think...ahh their fluff sucks! I want to be proven wrong. Lets try and get a range of races, im not saying dont post yours, i just dont want this to lead to 7 Dark Eldar stories.

Happy Times!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about the coolest, but some of the worst seems to be the orks. To compensate, I wrote some ork fluff and submitted it to the black library for their short story competition. If they don't publish it, I'll post it here for flamage.
    I read your book!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Dark eldar by a country mile. Just check this out: GW Online : Warhammer 40,000 : Dark Eldar : The Torturer's Tale - Best fluff ever.

And then:

Games Workshop Australia: Medusa V Campaign

Hell YES! Esspecially since we organised that coup with no'akei, we all hated the character and banded together, getting GW to let us overthrow her and keep Vect.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know about coolest but id have to say the SM have the largest variety being the largest played race in 40K. Plus have the Horus Heresy being one of the major compenants to the 40k fluff development id say theres takes the cake. But as for coolest id have to agree that Dark Eldar have got some pretty insane fluff to go with there crazy race. Lets just hope GW gets to updating them sometime in the future. Also the Orks need new fluff. Cool race, bad fluff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

As has been said the Torturer's Tale is one of the best bits of fluff around. The stuff surrounding the Fall of the Eldar and much of the stuff about the War in Heaven is very, very nicely done. Eldar mythology utterly rocks.

I don't understand how the orks can be said to have bad fluff in the least. These people are obviously not reading the research of Genator-Major Lukas Anzion. This man has written much about ork genetics, and painted a really interesting picture of the orks as a self-regulating social organism. It's a beautiful way to think about it all.

And, going back to the Eldar theme, the harlies also have a special place in my heart. The story of Cergorach and his Eldar that're out to save the Eldar race has got to be some of the neatest ideas that GW has ever had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

I enjoy most of the fluff for most of the races; it's just in my nature to do so. But it's not what GW does with the fluff that I enjoy the most but what the players try to do with it. I've seen people come up with rousing Space Marine and Imperial Guard stories of comradeship in the line of fire, grim tales of terror from the oncoming Tyranid Horde, the mysterious manipulations of Necron raiders, and of course who could forget the Eldar? Out of official GW fluff, I actually like the Tau quite a lot for the layer of misdirection that surrounds their society. They are unshakeable in the belief that their cause is just and they seem to be a foil for the Imperium in the sense that they have been able to achieve peace and prosperity without all the oppression but if you think about it, they are oppressed just as much. In addition, they present a good "face" to the rest of the galaxy but who knows what is going on behind the scenes? I remember a story I worked on once about a human who chose to live under the Tau Empire as a Gue'vesa'la but then realised that the Earth Caste was conducting hideous experiments on humans as well as other alien species in order to simulate the creation of Space Marines. He, of course, has to be silenced but...it's just good fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO the Eldar have the best fluff. Their Mythology is just awesome. Second would be Chaos and things to do with the warp as it is interesting and raises some philosophical questions.

I do not like the ork fluff with its 'I think it happens so it does' thing. I'm not a fan of the dark eldar fluff where they have no real reason for the battles they get into (theres a lot of easier ways to gets slaves). But thats just my opinion and is not intended to offend anyone.

-Andy Out-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

It's a tough question, because part of me kinda wants to pick something vaguely original, and a lot of things in 40k aren't very original.

I like the elements of the ork fluff which aren't too zany, fortunately a lot of that's been written out now. I like the idea that orks can be born with skills which would take a human years of training to master, but as a result just tend to bludgeon their way along on instinct rather than thinking things through, and that this is actually how they're designed to work. They're also interesting in that they're kind of the white blood cells of the galaxy..

And Andy, it's not 'I think it happens so it does.' Orks can't do magic at will. It's just little things, like the fact that red painted vehicles run faster, and weapons which should jam constantly somehow don't.

Considering that space marine librarians can shoot angry unicorns at people and eldar psykers can throw tanks, I don't think that's too wierd..

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

I've always enjoyed inquisition fluff. Theres a sense of sinister overwatching and intrigue that always appealed to me. No one is clear cut good or evil, or right or wrong. It's just a playground to mess with morality and stretching the limits of what is possible.

I sound like an advertiser, don't I?

+ Reply to Thread