The Imperium and non-breathable planets - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Imperium and non-breathable planets

What does the IG do when there is a planet that the Imperium wants but the planet doesn't support breathing?

From what I understand of the 40k fluff the SM come and break the enemy at critial locations then the IG come and smash the enemy. But what about planets that is not suitable to breath? Maybe there isn't oxygen, or their is toxic fumes or there is literally no atmosphere because the planet is so small? Most races have a form of breather, the only races that don't are Orks, bugs and most of the IG. So what does the IG do? The SM can't hold an entire planet, that's the job for the IG to do.

Black Templars 3000 points
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Hordes of Chaos *Coming soon*

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

They send in Space Marines and they kill everything hostile on the planet. Then they begin the process of terraforming.

I mean...inhabitable environments is what the Space Marines are for. They don't have to hold the planet, just kill everything on it so the AdMech can set up biospheres and habitations and eventually make it habitable. Otherwise it's just a dead world, and therefore is of no tactical importance - it doesn't make food, it doesn't make tanks, it doesn't have any monuments or sacred sites, it can't be used by the enemy if it can't be used by you, so there's no reason to hold it.

Even heretics need to breathe, you know.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

The other alternative is to have the Imperial Fleet bomb the hell out of it, send down Titans to finish off whats left, and then begin terraforming.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

I don't actually think sci-fi staples like terraforming exist in 40k. Otherwise, certain planets would have undergone it centuries ago.

And guard can fight in unbreathable atmospheres. Armaggedon technically has an unbreathable atmosphere (hence the gasmasks) due to centuries of pollution. They're just supplied with rebreathers. There are models available from forgeworld I think which show Cadians in their rebreather helmets.

If a planet has no atmosphere, however, then I'd guess you need marines, or possibly special space-fighting guard regiments with pressure suits.

Why colonize uninhabitable planets? Resources, of course.. Savlar is only barely inhabitable and yet it was colonized because of lucrative mining opportunities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Terraforming is a sience from before the dark age of technology. (reffering to 'tales from a dark millinum' the first shortstory in the book.)
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Mars and Luna have both been terraformed, if I recall correctly.

It really depends on the planet in question. Several planets only have inhabitants that live in biospheres or under the ground in caves, and so on.
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Atma View Post
    Mars and Luna have both been terraformed, if I recall correctly.
    Yup, Mars was the first to undergo it, in the late... 22nd or 23rd century if my memory of Codex Imperialis serves. Mars since went back to being inhospitable after it became the first hive world and polluted itself. At least, I think that's it. Much of my information on that is speculative.

It's also something the Eldar did to worlds, their process being better but taking longer, which resulted in the Maiden Worlds.

As for what the Imperium do, I'd guess that the guard are equipped with breathing apparatus if need be (look at the uniforms for Krieg and the Steel Legion). But generally marines are the ticket for dealing with hard to reach problems (like the Steel Cobras).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought that the IG with the breathing gear was under the chemical high thingy. Like the "Chem dogs" I think they're called? And that it wasn't designed for no-atmosphere conditions.

Just because a planet is a dead planet doesn't mean it can't be used. It may have mineral/ ore deposits.

And terra-forming a planet? Now why didn't I think of that???!! *smacks head*
    Black Templars 3000 points
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Hordes of Chaos *Coming soon*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

Im sure the Guard could set up a outpost on a planet as a kind of staging area for the rest of the troopers so that the range that they could operate would be far larger then if they had to fight it out and then have to pull out. Even so im sure the navy could just send bombers down to nuke anything down their so that the guard would only need to mop up anything left.
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

IIRC the Imperium don't terraform anymore... Either the tech has been lost or they don't bother (since they can just set up a small outpost with a working enviroment in it) anymore because it takes to long to do (and the Imperium want the resources NOW!).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast