Inquisitor Torben and Caiden - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inquisitor Torben and Caiden

I have been writing on this for quite a while. I always like help with my writing so I thought I would toss a blurb up. Any C&C is welcome.

“Sir, we are ten minutes out.”
    “Sir?”

“I heard your Sergeant.”

Inquisitor Lord Torben sat in the back of his Chimera, both of his gloved hands resting heavily on the top of his cane. His wrinkled forehead rested lightly on the cuffs of his coat, gently bumping along with the rough hive road.

“So, what do you think we will find?” A rough voice carried over the roar of the engine.
    Torben looked up.
    “We could find anything from a genuine servant of the Emperor like yourself or a genuine servant who only thinks that he is a genuine servant of the Emperor,” Torben replied.
    “Yeah, like the one who had failed to notice the second mouth that he was growing where his stomach used to be?” came a chuckling reply.
    “I doubt that we will find anything like that. This one claims the be the voice of Bartholomew. He is not a saint that the unclean take lightly. Many of the cult leaders we have captured have shown more aversion to him than the Emperor himself,” Torben replied.
    “Well he has to have something wrong with him for us to be making an impromptu visit, right?”
    “Why are people so fascinated by the wholesome leaders of the Imperium being chaos heretics deep down?”
    “Because they have seen one to many holo-flics about it.”
    Inquisitor Torben chuckled.

The Chimera came to a halting stop in a deserted square on a hive sub level 37. The hatch door clanged down even before the occupants had a chance to right themselves from the lurching stop.
    “I will never understand why all Inquisition troopers drive like the universe depended on them getting to their destination in the least possible time,” Torben said in a disgusted manner as he limped down the ramp, his cane clanging loudly as his paced increased away from the vehicle.
    Caiden was forced to jog to catch up with the crippled Inquisitor Lord.
    “Well sir, doesn’t it sometimes? Best if they stayed in practice.”
    “You need to teach your smart mouth to do something useful, like fill out my daily paperwork.” Torben grumpily replied.
    The pair walked down the dimly lit road. The white light that permeated this level of the hive was always either too bright or too dark. It added a pale blue tint to everything it touched. The debris fought with the crumbling walls for dominance of the walkways.
    “This place does have a kind of charm to it, doesn’t it?” commented Caiden.
    He kicked a small chunk of plas-crete wall that was in his path.
    “Yeah, but it’s ruined by our friends back there.” Torben indicated behind him with a tilt of his head.
    The squad of Inquisitorial storm troopers that was following them was far from inconspicious. They were in heavy riot gear. Several had well-worn blast shields and their armor had numerous scars on them. They all looked worn and abused, but carried themselves with a calm air and a professional demeanor.
    “You’d think that they would clean their gear once in a while.” Torben smirked.
    He said this simply to pick at Caiden. He knew that all of the men behind them were the best that Radnar had to offer. Caiden always said that a hallmark of a good trooper was personalization of his equipment and keeping old gear highly functional without worrying too much about how it looked. These were not parade troops.
    “If you wanted the finest toadies, we could have visited the vice magistrate’s house prior to this excursion,” Caiden sharply replied. “These men will see you through a dinner with a patriarch.”
    “ I just wish that they could be a little more subtle.” Torben replied. “I don’t care if they can arm wrestle with servants of khorne, they are going to make our job impossible if we have them twenty feet from us all night.”
    “They will disappear when we need them to. They know what they are doing.”
    Torben started to chuckle but it turned into a grunt as a sharp pain shot up his right leg.

The pair neared the intersection of route 75 and 74 on block 54 of sub-level 37. According to the tip that one of Caiden’s informants had given them, this was supposed to be where the Voice of Bartholomew appeared once a month to preach. They hadn’t been able to get any recordings but the consensus was that this man was beginning to hold sway over much of the sub-level. The reports of his night long rants could easily have gone unnoticed if it hadn’t been for his choice of location. Had it not been that the intersection of route 75 and 74 was being used by the local bureaucrats as shortcut to avoid all of the traffic on the more civil levels of the hive, his sermons would have gone unreported for years. As it was, it interfered with the luxury of the political class, so it obviously warranted the attention of the Inquisition. Torben wasn’t exactly sure why he had chosen to personally investigate this case. He didn’t leave his offices very much anymore. The pain in his leg was growing to a level that made most everyday activities extremely unpleasant. Still, he was 37 sub-levels down, limping along next to a fellow Inquisitor that was more than capable of doing this himself, without his aid.

As they came to the last corner before intersection they could hear the murmur of a large crowd, all being as quiet as they could. No matter how quiet a large group of people tries to be, they cannot help but radiate a hum of being that cannot be suppressed. This hum was a loud hum. Caiden moved forward first and looked around the corner. There was a lectern erected on a large stage, in the middle of the intersection. The crowd that had gathered was in the thousands. All across the stage, open topped lanterns blazed on a set up of crude plasma arc cutters. Their greenish light bathed the four buildings that confined the crossing with a sickly shade.
    “Well, he definitely has a following.” Caiden said as he turned back to Torben.
    “Good, I would hate to see him on a off night.” Torben sarcastically replied.
    Caiden reached out and straightened the heavy black trench coat that Torben was wearing over his earth-colored body glove. Torben always wore his Inquisitorial rosette pinned over his heart, even when he was trying not to draw attention. Caiden, on the other hand, had taken an inordinate amount of time altering his so that it would appear as a simple medallion but when he pressed the two concealed buttons on either side, it would project a holographic image of a real rosette over its casing. Torben thought the only bigger waste of Caiden’s time had been the paperwork he had to fill out and the endless screening he had to go through to get permission from the Inquisition to alter his rosette.
    “There, you look much more like a theologically starved citizen of the emperor.” Caiden smirked as he turned back from Torben to the intersection.
    Torben smiled at Caiden. “So, lets go hear about this Emperor.”

“Good citizens of the Emperor, bless you for coming to hear one of his greatest servants speak. I know that all of you have heard of the great Bartholomew Bracarius, the saint of our world. Our very own piece of the Emperor. All of you have heard his inspiring words over and over again from the mouth pieces that are siting inside his most holy place, his very cathedral is being run by those that do not believe in his vision, his vision for a better Radnar. No! For a better Imperium.”
    The Voice of Bartholomew Bracarius was in full swing. Caiden and Torben had made their way into the back of the crowd.
    “Isn’t that heresy? Preaching against the Ecclesiarchy, and all?” Caiden murmured under his breath.
    “No, not just preaching. Remember, Caiden, even in the most holy Inquisition we have our differences. Those differences are tolerated, even if they lead to us killing each other. Why shouldn’t we let all the other servants of the Emperor enjoy that same right?” Torben replied.
    Caiden just smiled and turned back to the ranting man on the stage before them. He wasn’t really paying very much attention to what was being said. That wasn’t his job. Torben had a much sharper mind than he did. He was the streetwise one of the two. He had already spotted several people that were on the Inquisitions list of people they wanted to talk to. And by talk, the list meant kill. He knew that there had to be something going on behind the scenes here for them to tolerate the endless praising of the Emperor. The storm troopers that had followed them were all watching very closely. They were out of sight to everyone, including Caiden. He breathed a calm breath at that thought.
    “Bartholomew will reveal to me the wisdom of his infinite intellect this night. Those of you that have come will be amazed at the revelations you will garner from his teachings.”
    The speaker suddenly went rigid. His voice became a whisper and then he fell to the ground. A murmur went through the crowd. None seemed too surprised at the speakers’ antics.
    “This seems to be a normal occurrence.” Torben said as he leaned toward Caiden.
    Caiden wasn’t listening. He was intently watching someone to the side of the stage.
    “See that guy standing on the edge of the crowd on the stages left? He’s bald.” Caiden stated.
    “And my hair may be going also, why does that make him so interesting?” Torben said.
    “None of the gangs in this area shave their heads. His is also way to clean for any razor that could be found down in this dump.”
    “Any chance that he isn’t in a gang? That he might not even care?”
    “He’s to young not to care, if he doesn’t try to fit in he will most likely be viewed as a gang member from another level and be killed as a spy. Gangs are very serious about their territory.” Caiden said in a serious tone.
    “Okay so why are you so interested in him, maybe he was sent to see what this guy had to say. Even gang members believe in something.”
    “Unless he is a Magus.”
    Torben stopped. “I didn’t feel any psychic presence. He would have to be very powerful to mask his presence that much. If he is, I am not sure I am prepared to tangle with him tonight.”
    “There is only one way to find out.” Caiden said with a jovial smile.
    Caiden made his way through the crowd toward the front. He passed all manners of people. Most were the typical hive dwellers one would find this far down in the hive. One or two of them were upper class. They had tried to dress themselves down so they wouldn’t stick out but they couldn’t replicate the demeanor of someone who had lived in the deep hive. Caiden didn’t understand why they thought that they would find a deeper meaning to life down here. He had managed to work his way too within a couple rows of the speaker when he ran into a wall. Not a literal wall but the people in front of him weren’t letting him through. He had suspected that this would happen. No one with this kind of charisma just got up in front of a lot of people and started preaching. He would have a core of followers that would act as a shield. What Caiden wanted to know, is if they would protect the bald man to. As he neared the man, he slowed his pace. Watching intently out of the corner of his eye he saw the man straighten. On the stage, the Voice of Bartholomew had come out of his stupor and was once again ranting on. Caiden was about to take another step toward his target when the man turned and looked right at him. It was only Caiden’s will power that kept him from reacting. Even with his peripheral vision Caiden could see this man’s eyes. Those eyes. They were as black as night and yet at the same time they glowed with some light that he couldn’t quite put his finger on. Caiden kept his eyes on the speaker. The man slowly turned back to face the speaker also. After several minutes, Caiden slowly moved back toward Torben.
    “He is, isn’t he.” Torben stated as Caiden walked back up to him.
    With a truly disturbed look on his face, Caiden simply nodded and walked toward the back of the crowd.
    Torben was worried. Caiden never got intimidated. He was the only human he had ever seen kill a brood lord with his shotgun from two feet away without flinching. He had never seen him so shaken. Torben turned and followed him back down the road.
    When they were safely around the bend in the street, Caiden turned and faced Torben.
    “I haven’t seen anything like that in a very long time. No, not ever.” Caiden’s light purple eyes were shaky. They darted slightly, back and forth.
    “I have never seen you quite like this friend. So it was a Magus. We have dealt with their kind before, many times.”
    “This one was different. He knew that I was watching him, I know he did. He turned and looked right at me. The only thing that kept me from reacting was the fact that I was scared. Scared. No, not scared, horrified. I couldn’t move.”
    The Storm Troopers were starting to come out from the buildings on either side of the road. They gave respectful distance to the pair.
    “How well do you know this area of the hive, Caiden?”
    “Well enough.”
    “If this thing is enough to scare you, then it terrifies me. We need to end it tonight while we have a chance.”
    Caiden stretched his arms out and slapped them against his sides.
    “Magus dies just like maggots.”
    Torben had heard that saying repeated only during training of the Radnar PDF. It didn’t reassure him.
    Torben led them back around the corner. Caiden stayed behind him and to the right. There was a noticeable bulge across his back now. The old combat shotgun that he refused to replace was now slung in its usual place. The speaker was starting to dabble in self flagellation when they reached the back of the crowd. Several of the observers were joining him in their zeal. Caiden looked over the crowd quickly trying to spot the Magus, but he was no where to be seen. He did notice that his Storm Troopers were no where to be seen. He tried to find some comfort in that.
    “Let me attempt to confront the speaker first. We should only use force if it is necessary.” Torben whispered to Caiden.
    “Necessary or not, if I see that Magus, I’m killing him.” Caiden’s tone was completely blank. Torben wasn’t sure if he liked that.
    The crowd reluctantly parted for Torben as he made his way to the front. He hadn’t had to use his will yet, he was hoping he wouldn’t have to with the possibility of the Magus being near.
    “Look! My friends! Another lost soul comes forward to receive the blessing of Bartholomew. You will not regret coming forward, my brother,” boomed the speaker.
    Torben hoped that he would not. He struggled intentionally to get on the stage. Truth be told; he was more than capable of walking without his cane. All it did was relieve the pain that the weight on his leg caused. He had chosen to start walking with a cane instead of getting a bionic replacement for the lost nerve structure in his thigh. He had found that an old man with a cane is less than no threat at all. He was depending on that assumption to gain him an advantage tonight.
    “Come! Someone, help the man up! He is clearly struggling!”
    “Thank you, prophet. I am not the man I used to be.” Torben said in his the feeblest voice he could manage.
    “You are to kind my brother, for I am no prophet. I merely heard the call of our most revered saint Bartholomew Bracarius.”
    “You must have excellent hearing. That man has been dead for quite some time now.” Torben was still using his best helpless old man voice. Otherwise, this might have been taken as sarcasm.
    “My hearing is no better than yours, I hear with my heart instead of my ears.”
    “Well, then show this old man how to hear with his heart instead of his ears.”
    “It is simple. Those, which are pure of heart and mind, hear the saints talking. They try to reach us and tell us of the wisdom and grace of the Emperor.”
    “Forgive my heretical soul, then, Great Prophet, for I cannot hear them.”
    “You are not heretical my son. You just have to listen to your heart and the saints will speak to you, also, someday.” The speaker was now resting his hand on Torben’s stooped shoulder.
    “Son, is it now? What happened to brother? You are young enough to be my grandson!”
    The speaker gave a hearty laugh. “I am truly sorry if I have given you offense. It is merely a term used by those in my profession. May the Emperor, rest his soul, grant me forgiveness.”
    “Rest his soul? He is still alive, isn’t he, sitting on his golden throne and all.”
    “Now it is truly my son, you have been deceived by those that want you to remain where you are. Downtrodden and destitute. They have been lying to us for millennia upon millennia.”
    “So, the Emperor is dead.” Torben muttered to himself.
    “Yes my dearest son, with time you will come to deal with this loss.” The speaker had a look of profound regret upon his face.
    “Then who guides our ships through the empyrean and provides the beacon for our astropaths?”
    “Those things are not needed. They are merely more lies that we are told to keep us from becoming more than what we are now.”
    No old man who lived in the hives all his life would have had any clue about how star ships travel through the warp. But this slipped past the speaker. It didn’t get past Torben.
    “Are you preaching against the Emperor?”
    The bluntness of Torben’s question caught the speaker off guard. So off guard that he didn’t notice that the old man was completely gone from Torben’s voice.
    “No, I worship the Emperor just as you do.”
    “But you say that he is dead.”
    “And he is my dear son.”
    “No, he isn’t. He sits on the Golden Throne as he has done for a millennium, guiding humanity through his divine light.”
    “Yes he is, you are merely repeating lies told to us by the Inquisition and the many others that claim to have the ear of the Emperor.”
    “Bartholomew Bracarius believed that the Emperor was alive. Did he not tell you that yet?”
    The tone of Torben’s voice finally seeped into the Speaker’s head. His eyes grew wide as he turned to where the Magus had been standing.
    “Look at me!” Torben said, using his will.
    The Speaker straightened but did not turn quickly, instead he slowly turned and Torben could feel his mind being assaulted.
    “I am a great prophet old man. You should not have come here tonight.”
    With that a sharp pain seared across Torben’s mind. The Speaker started to smile as he saw a flash of pain come across his adversaries face. That smile quickly turned to shock when Torben smiled back. This was not some old man. This was an Inquisitor Lord of Ordo Xenos. And this Inquisitor Lord was now very angry.
    Torben lashed out with the full power of his mind. The Speaker was blasted flat onto his back. The wave of raw psychic energy knocked the crowd back several steps. The Speaker struggled to rise but everything felt numb. It was as if someone had wrapped him in a hundred blankets. It was stifling and impossible to move. He managed to turn his head toward the crowd, looking for his supporters. Several had already recovered and were rushing toward him. Another had recovered even quicker however. Caiden jumped onto the stage with his shotgun out.
    “Do not come any further. This person is now a prisoner of his most holy Inquisition.” Caiden barked.
    Several stopped at the mention of the Inquisition. The real cult members didn’t. One pulled out a small stub pistol but before he could fire a sharp crack of an auto gun came from above the stage. Torben looked up and saw the outline of a Storm Trooper standing above him on a roof. He knew that before he even saw him. That familiar crack made Torben feel more comfortable about their situation. All of the storm troopers that Caiden chose to be in his personal unit used autoguns. He said that it was a sign of a good soldier. The less dependent they were on technology the better in Caiden’s eyes. They were also excellent shots. Several more shots rang out and several more of the crowd members dropped. In answer there was a hail of assorted small arms fire from the outlying buildings. Caiden grunted as a round hit him in the left shoulder. Out of the buildings several dozen cultists slowly moved out. Thier weapons up and firing. Torben was crouched on the stage with his archaic six round bolt pistol out. He hadn’t fired yet. He was to busy looking for the bald headed Magus. Caiden was standing with his feet spread evenly calmly blasting away. Torben’s mind was frantically searching the area. Trying to find a hint of where the Magus could have gotten to. If they didn’t catch him, this would be a wasted effort. The Magus would just find someone else to do his dirty work for him.
    Torben found what he was looking for in a doorway several building down. There he was. Standing hunched, hood drawn far over his head. Behind him stood two very large, very alien forms. Before Torben could do anything serveral storm troopers moved toward the Magus. The Magus stepped out into the street. With a wave of his hand one of the troopers crumpled up and fell to the ground in a hideous shape. Without any fear the other open fired. Not on the Magus, but on the two alien forms that were now emerging from the building. The autogun slugs caught one of the Genestealers in the torso, knocking him back but hardly hurting it. The other was on him impossibly fast. It’s feeder tendrils locked firmly onto the troopers shoulder. Torben didn’t even hear the soldier cry out. He simply pulled out a knife and jabbed it as deep as he could into one the the Genestealers four arms. He kept stabbing as he went down.
    “I see him Caiden! He brought a couple friends with him too!” Torben shouted over the gun fire.
    Caiden looked up from his aim for a second, and just as fast returned his attention to his target. A stumbling misshapen cross between a human and a Genestealer. A smooth pull of the trigger ended that threat.
    “I see them but we aren’t going to get across this crowd in time to stop them!” Caiden shouted back.
    Torben raised his pistol and squeezed off two quick rounds. He was a good shot. Not as good as Caiden, but he could hit targets at range. His bolt pistol was a excellent weapon. That didn’t hurt. The shots punched into the stealer that was busy feeding on the remains of the trooper. The blew clean threw the stealer’s thick carapace and knocked the still lodged knife to the ground.
    Caiden had jumped off of the stage and was fighting threw the cultists, attempting to get through. He managed to break through and catch the wounded stealer before it managed to crawl back into the building it came from. He quickly put a shotgun shell through the back of it’s head. He didn’t follow the Magus and stealer into the building. They knew the hive better than anyone. He knew it would be foolish to chase them on their terms. The other members of his squad joined him. They had either killed or chased off the rest of the cultists. Torben was standing over the Speaker. He looked irritated.

<(^^)> <(^^<) (>^^)> ^(^^)^ Dance Kirby! Dance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow... just wow. This, and I am not kidding, was like reading a novel from Sandy Mitchell (Ciaphas Cain stuff)this was totally amazing reading...now I need more...give me more and I won't lock you up in a jail cell with a type writer. :shifty:
    http://brunsvillegame.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html
    PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    Rep people if they help you!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was good, for fan fiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by RecklessFable View Post
    Thought for the Day: Armylists are a three-edged sword. The list your backstory wants. The list that is optimal. The list of models you actually own.
    And HOW.

(\_/)
    (X.X)
    (><) This is Dead Bunny.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MyArmys: Points: W/L/D

Imperial Guard: 2250: In Progress.
    Necron: 500: 2/1/1

Join the Imperium today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very good! I'm glad to see the Genestealer Cults are alive and well ;)

The final paragraph sort of degenerated into a lot of sentences with the same structure, but until that point the writing was quite smooth. Excellent work, and I hope to read more soon!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Nugz View Post
    Wow... just wow. This, and I am not kidding, was like reading a novel from Sandy Mitchell (Ciaphas Cain stuff)this was totally amazing reading...now I need more...give me more and I won't lock you up in a jail cell with a type writer. :shifty:
    You better at least give me a computer. I hate type writers. I will toss more up tomorrow. Still don't like the rest of it yet.

Cincinnati, Oh over summer; West Lafayette, IN for school
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I am thoroughly Impressed. I would love to see more of this and I await your next post with enthusiasm. Thank you for posting this and keep writing.
    I peered down the hill, and realized Kharn had arranged the bodies to make out words, so many killed to form:
    On your drop ship hull
    I planted a melta bomb
    Blood for the Blood God
    It was at that point the drop-ship overhead erupted in a violent plume, and crashed down on top of the haiku.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will post another blurb this weekend. I say blurb because I think LO would frown on a 150 page post. Anyway I am babysitting my brother in law all week so I am away from my computer. Thank you all for your thoughts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is another blurb. This one isn't continuous with the first one but it picks up a little later. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Caiden was acting very out of character. His usual boyish attitude was gone and it was replaced by a stern serious look that had permeated his features since his encounter with the Magus earlier that night. He was actually starting to act like the Cadian he was.,Torben thought to himself. The Chimera poured through several more turns and then came to a sudden, screeching halt as they came to the gates of the Inquisiton fortress.
    Its tall black spires reached up to compete even with the tallest of the hive spires. On most planets that were fortunate enough, well most would say fortunate enough to have a Inquisition fortress, nothing on the planet competed with it. It was the tallest, biggest, grandest building on the planet. And they were all the same. They were sharp buildings, seeming to sport jagged edges on all of its surfaces. The jet black didn't reflect any light at all. The structure seemed to be a shadow that absorbed all light that touched it. The grimness of the towering structure might seem over dramatic but it served its purpose, as a grim reminder of the shadow that moves among the Imperium. Of the servants that will not hesitate to carry out the Emperor's will. The one on Radnar wasn't the biggest building on the planet. It had been at one time but there had been other, grander building projects since then. Normally the local Inquisitor Lord would order planet funds to be spent on expanding the fortress so that it was still the grandest, but Torben wasn't as concerned with that as most of his peers were. He always spent the funds on things that would help his quest of exterminating the genestealer cults more immediately than making his “house” bigger. It had taken a while for the business types of Radnar to build something that stood taller and grander. Most were afraid of being declared heretics and hunted down for it. Many men have been killed for much less. But there is a limit as to how long a business man can wait. His “undying” loyalty to the Emperor will keep his expantionistic business needs at bay only so long.
    Even though the gurads knew who it was they checked ID slates and their mission log against the occupants of the vehicle. They did so quickly and respectfully. They knew that nothing was wrong but Torben had ordered that every vehicle be checked at the gate. Even if it was his own. Despite being raised a civiallian Torben was very military minded when it came to running the Inquisition's forces on Radnar. That may have rubbed off on him from Caiden was was from Caida. The most militarized planet in the Imperium. Torben looked up at Caiden again as the passed through the four gates that protected the outer courtyard. Caiden's purple eyes seemed to lack some of their luster. His sandy colored hair was matted and messed up from the intense scuffle that had happened tonight. After missions he usually was in good spirits, especially if it had gone well. Even though the night hadn't been very successful it wasn't a total scrub. They had managed to capture the Speaker, he would undoubtedly have some information for them. Even if they had to interpret what the meaning behind it was. Most prisnoners that were associated with Genestealer cults weren't of much use. They were either to indoctrinated or they were 2nd or 3rd generation stealers which were of no use at all.
    The Chimera came to a screeching halt again and the occupants shifted visible toward the front of the vehicle. Every on accept for the Speaker. Torben didn't know how he did it but he managed not to slide into the bodies of fallen Storm Troopers. Maybe it was Caiden's ominous shotgun that he was holding loosely in his hands with the barrel pointed lazily down in the direction of the speaker. The door clanged as the clamps let loose and slammed into the paved square that sat in front of the Inquisition fortress.
    “On your feet Speaker.” Caiden ordered.
    The Speaker scrambled to his feet and began to stagger down the ramp. He was stooped under the weight of a null ring that was latched around his neck to completely contain his rudimentary pshycic powers.
    “Stop. I didn't tell you to move yet.” Caiden stated in a flat tone.
    Immeidiately the Speaker froze, mid step, with one foot hanging in the air.
    “You sure have a way with people.” Torben said to Caiden
    There was no reply from Caiden.
    Torben just shook his head as he limped down the ramp and off towards his office.

“ Lord Strutgar I assure you we didn't anticipate the level of cult activity that we encounterd tonight. Had we, you would have been informed before our leaving this facility and cordially invited to join in our little frolic.” Said Torben while over using his hands to get his point across.
    “You may not have had the foresight to think that there would be a Magus there this night but I would have if you had informed me about it in the first place!” Lord Strutgar yelled at Torben from across the desk his hands were resting on.
    Torben didn't show any signs of fear or aggression. Despited the fact he wanted to blast the idiot in front of him back through the door he had so unceremoniously burst through several minutes ago. Strutgar was a formidable human. He was bionically enhanced internally, but had no outward signs of it. He was 6'9 and well over 250 pounds of muscle. The massive power sword he wore everywhere was in its customary place, strapped across his back. He was in informal wear, which constituted a heavily armored bodyglove that had quotes from the Emperor and saints alike inscribed on its bright white surface. He usually wore a suit of power armor that had been gifted him by the Lords of the Segmentum. His shaven head always gleamed , even, it seemed, when there shouldn't have been enough light for it to do so.
    “I am sorry Lord Strutgar, I didn't mean any offense, I have acted in this way innumerable times in the past and it didn't upset you. I mearly assumed that I had the same liberties to act that I always have.” Torben said as calmly as he could.
    “You have always taken your liberties to far, Torben. Your are lucky that I haven't had your authority curtailed. I am the one in charge of this operation and you will not take any more actions without first informing me.” Strutgar commaned while leaning in closer to intimidate Torben.
    Torben came up out of his chair, ignoring the shooting pains that shot up his leg.
    “You will not order me to do anything Strutgar, the Inquisition sent us here as equals and you will respect that. I do not have to inform you of anything that I do, or any actions that I order. I have, up to now, told either you or your aides myself of what operations I had coming up. If anything was to short notice you always had a report on your desk the next morning. Furthermore if you ever speak to me in that tone again I will send you back through that door with enough force that your aids will have to dig you out of sub-level twenty!” Torben evenly said back.
    “You've informed me of everything? Have you really Torben? Then why did I have to resort to sending one of my own men into your holding cells to find out that you took a prisoner this night!?” smiled Strutgart.
    “Because we have been back two hours and I have not had time to complete a report on our operation since you stormed into my office!” Torben's voice was starting to show some of his agitation.
    “Now, now kids, don't make me call the Emperor on you.” Caiden scolded from the doorway. He was leaning on the doorframe. He was still in his heavy overcoat and armored bodyglove.
    “Your insolence will also not be tolerated, Caiden. The holy work of the Inquisition is not something to make light of. Your attitude puts your commitment to our, no your work in question.” Strutgart sneared.
    Torben saw Caiden's eyes go slightly flatter. He knew that was on of the very few subtle signs that he was about to do something rash. Torben also noted that, unfortunealty Caiden was still wearing his shotgun.
    “Lord Strutgart, Caiden didn't mean anything by that, we both are tired and more than a little on edge after our encounter tonight. Why don't we take this back up in the morning. After a good nights rest this problem will be easier to resolve.” Torben managed to say before Caiden made a already unpleasant conversation even more so.
    “I see no point in continuing this discussion until you both start showing your good faith and seriousness that this holy work requires. I will expect you to start adjusting your attitudes.” This last statement was directed at Caiden. Strutgart walked calmly past Caiden. Not even looking at him. After he was down the hall and around the corner Caiden moved up to Torben's desk.
    “So did you get all your stuff hidden before he showed up?” Caiden's smile asked.
    “Yes, there wasn't much to hide. I haven't had time to do much studying lately. The Cults have been to active.” Torben said with a regretful tone.
    “Yeah, things have been hoppin lately haven't they.” Caiden somberly agreed. He smiled. “If Strutgart saw your chart-o-heresy that conversation would have gone much worse.”
    “Yes it would have.” Torben agreed with a chuckle. “That mono-dominant would have me ceremoniously killed in the name of the Emperor.”
    “Even though your studies on the Cults have helped us imeasureably over the years. If it wasn't for your studies we wouldn't have the knowledge about how these cults work. And without that we would be no better than a regular bunch of Guardsmen running around in the underhive getting eaten.”
    “But Strutgart will never be able to see the value of the research that I do.” Resigned Torben.
    “Yep, that one doesn't read no books well.” Caiden said.
    “One day your mouth is going to get you in a lot of trouble.” Torben laughed.
    “Everyone keeps telling me that but I still haven't gotten more than I can handle.” Shrugged Caiden.
    “Seriously though we need to somehow mollify Strugart. He may be a thick headed mono-dominant that sees heresy everywhere he looks but he is not only a experienced Inquisitor, he could make our lives very difficult.
    “If he goes running to the Segmentum Lords I guess they could censor us or place us under investigation. I've had that happen to me before.” Smiled Caiden.
    “That's hard to believe.” Torben said dryly. “How are you Caiden, you seemed very out of character during the trip back. Have you had your wound looked at?”
    “Oh that?” Caiden looks at his right shoulder. It was smeared with dried blood and his coat had a circular burn mark through it. “I've had a lot worse. I'll dress it myself later when I clean up.”
    After a short pause Torben reiterated, “But are you feeling ok, you seemed very shook up. I talked to Sergeant Brinous. He was genuinely worried about you. He says the rest of the men were a bit rattled by how you reacted tonight.”
    “Sergeant Brinous? Remind me to demote him for that.” Caiden teased. “I don't know Torben, I just got scared is all. Well that isn't really all. But it is I guess. I am not used to being scared. I grew up on Cadia, fought for twenty years with the PDF before joining you as a Interigator. In those twenty years I saw more of chaos than many senior Inquisitors do. None of that rattled me as much as tonight did. Looking into those eyes I felt like I was falling. No, wait I never looked directly at them. I was to scared to even move my eyes.” Caiden softly said as he crossed the room to stand before a painting of the Bartholomue Braccarius cathedral that Torben had hung there fifteen years ago.
    Torben had risen and slowly moved to stand next to Caiden. He reached up and put a hand on his shoulder.
    “We all get scared sometimes Caiden, tonight was frightening. Not just because we were in a brief fire fight but because of the level of enemies that were there. We don't often encounter Maguses. They are some of the most potent enemies we have. That one tonight could have easily beaten me in a psychic battle. I was not properly prepared to deal with one of his power. But he didn't. I don't know why but he didn't.”
    “If this gets anymore sappy I am going to use my shotgun to shut your mouth Torben.” Caiden interrupted.
    “Torben gave a hearty laugh. “I am sorry if I offened your tough man sensibilities Caiden. But if you ever do need to talk you know you can always come to me.”
    “Yes daddy, Caiden said mockingly.
    “If I was your daddy I would have beaten the smartness out of your mouth years ago.” Torben stated.
    Caiden just smiled. “So are you going to sleep anytime soon?
    “Its only four in the morning, and after what happened tonight, proably not.” Said Torben as he looked up from his wrist chrono.
    “You want to go visit our prisoner?” Caiden said with a hopeful smile.
    “Why not. We need to get done with him quick anyway before Strutgart gets tired of waiting in about, twenty minutes.” Torben said sarcastically.

If people show intrest I will post further blurbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need a certain...'flair' to write inquisition tales, and you sir, have it!

Very well done, despite the odd mistake in grammar and the likes. I liked it. You should write more.

-The God of all Machines
    W/D/L
    -Imperial:50/2/10
    -Non-Imperial:10/1/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my proposition: you write enough blurbs... I copy and paste them (with your permission) I print out a dozen copies and I circulate them around myschool getting peoples' comments and I tell you? We would have o wait for September though.
    http://brunsvillegame.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html
    PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    Rep people if they help you!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast