Do Tech priests preach? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do Tech priests preach?

I got a question after read this: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...tml#post952591

Are the adeptus mechanius a branch of the Ecclesiarchy? or totally seperate?

They call themselves priest afterall, but do that name just another word for enginner to most other citizens of the Imperium or they actually do spiritual preaching? (the Ommnisia(sp) aspect of the Emperor ofcouse) I find the idea of fanatic tech priest in battlefield interesting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure..."Thow shalt useith thine holy spark plug"....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Record with my Necrons
    W:2 D:0 L:0
    2st game: vs Chaos result: Win :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Techpriests believe that all machines have spirits. Prayers are huge in the world of 40k, Space Marines will pray before battle to ensure that they will not miss with their divine bolter or that their armour will not fail them. Marauder pilots pray so that their spirits will become one with the spirit of their plane and they will be able to fly better. Techpriests communicate with the spirits enshrined in all machines, from Power Armour to Titans. They say prayers while they're doing practically everything, saying liturgies of proper binding and rites of non-corrosion.

They aren't priests as you would normally think. They don't stand at the altar and give out sermons to the masses. Instead, think of them as maintainers of Holy Works, perhaps spiritual guards if you will. Still a job of the faith, but preaching to a different choir.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

King of France techmarine Rannon Zriker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This looks like a job for, Do da do! Me!

techpriest don't preach, they're just priest of the machine god, and frankly most of them don't even know what preaching is. thats what happens when you spend your live going to battle to fix a tank that's bound to get blown up again....

and techmarines don't preach either, we just look cool!
    Create flames for a galaxy and it will be warm. Put a galaxy in flames and it will be warm for the rest of it's existence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

The way I see it, they're kind of like the old mystery cults in Greece and Rome rather than modern evangelical religions.. It's not about mass preaching, it's about imparting special secret techniques and theological tools to an elite minority. I'd imagine elder tech priests 'preach' to novices, but they're probably more like technical lectures. All the rituals and spiritual techniques of the Mechanicus are based around machines. Such lectures probably wouldn't be remotely comprehensible to the uninitiated.

Think of medieval alchemists vs scientific chemists. Both pretty much do the same thing, in fact, alchemists laid the groundwork for chemistry. But for them the substances they were working with weren't just substances, they had spiritual meanings and occult significance. That's kind of like tech priests. Physically, they're repairing machines, they're connecting different components together and replacing damaged parts, but for them the physical component is only part of the higher spiritual meaning.

They're not a branch of the Ecclesiarchy.. In fact, they predate the ecclesiarchy by a long way. They already ruled Mars at the time the Emperor unified the different warring factions on earth and started to reexplore the solar system.

The tech priests revere a being called the machine god, and like most religions there's lots of complex theology (some of the Inquisitor suppliments touch on it.) In order to become part of the Imperium they had to accept a new doctrine which regarded the Emperor and the machine god as the same being. The deity worshipped by the Mechanicus is thus called the Omnisiah, and the Emperor and the Machine God are both different 'faces' of the same deity. This is really only a technicality to ensure they can be tollerated though, they're not part of the Imperial Cult or the Ecclesiarchy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I guess the idea of the fanatic cybrog tech-priest reveal arco-tech plasma pistol as holy relic (and shoot with it), and leading a large swam of Penitent Engines to trample over the enemy line while swinging giant laser cutter as evasiator(sp) is out of the window.
    THAT is what I call mechanise. {goofy}
    Last edited by Chow; June 21st, 2007 at 23:21.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

If you want a particular Tech Priest that does preach thats fine. But its not the norm but then there are millions, maybe billions of tech priests in the Imperium I am sure one or two are more vocal.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    .. It's not about mass preaching, it's about imparting special secret techniques and theological tools to an elite minority. ..
    This is true. Techpriests work with the idea of "knowledge is power guard it well". The power base of the Techpriests is based on the fact that they alone know how to build and maintain many very important machines. If everybody in the Imperium knew how to do this or had even some of thier knowledge the Techpriests would lose much of thier influence and ability to do what they want much of the time instead of being told what to do. People of the Imperium are also a superstitous lot, wary of machines and science, the Techpriest encourage this so that people won't start learning what they know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    142 (x5)

And that encouragement could be a preaching of sorts. I'd imagine there have to be techpriest mouthpieces to the rest of the Imperium, otherwise they wouldn't be able to maintain their particular version of mechanical reality the way they do. I'd guess that there are numerous unofficial spinoffs of the Cult Mechanicus in the same way there are of the Ecclesiarchy, but aren't part of the AdMech itself. But as for preaching to the masses in the way that the preachers and confessors of the Ecclesiarchy do, I doubt it.

King of France techmarine Rannon Zriker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    If you want a particular Tech Priest that does preach thats fine. But its not the norm but then there are millions, maybe billions of tech priests in the Imperium I am sure one or two are more vocal.
    that's why I had to kill them...
    Create flames for a galaxy and it will be warm. Put a galaxy in flames and it will be warm for the rest of it's existence.

+ Reply to Thread