Combi-weapons, reloads? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Combi-weapons, reloads?

This is a question regarding the fluff surrounding combi-weapons. obviously, in the tabletop game, you get one shooting phase of use out of the secondary weapon in question.

edit: By combi-weapon, I'm referring to bolter-flamers, bolter-meltaguns, etc.

But fluff-wise, how do they work? These are my four theories.

a) They get multiple shots, but very limited, so they only get used once per battle, roughly? (Unlikely, IMO)

b) They're similar to a M203 grenade launcher in the US military. You shoot it once, then you have to remove the spent ammunition shell/charge/tank and replace it with a fresh one, then you're good to go.

c) They utilize some kinda of specialized rechargeable cell or tank or something. Due to the design of the weapon, it's impossible to swap out ammunition, so instead, after use they have to be brought somewhere to be recharged using the proper rituals and obeisances, etc.

d) One shot. That's it.

Any other ideas? How do you think they work? Personally, I lean towards B, because it just makes the most sense, but the Imperium is so backwards in their views of technology, it could be otherwise.

Last edited by Thenlar; June 23rd, 2007 at 21:42. Reason: Clarification

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I think of it there are two ammo suplies, one for the bolter and one for the other weapon. When they shoot the other weapon they'd need to reload it but because of its short range they cant of they'll get killed by the enemy and that there veterans of war and have very precise aim and only need one shot to kill a squad and a bolter to finish of the runners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One shot is definetly not true. That's to ensure that you don't get IC's spamming out plasma death every turn at BS5.

In the 4th ed DA codex, there is a picture of a combi-plasma gun. It shows (and draws attention to) the single, slightly undersized plasma ammunition contained underneath. Normal plasma guns have 2. So I'd say that combi weapons would have something around 25% of the normal "clip" capacity of the weapon. This probably doesn't equate to many shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Game-wise it's only one "shot," but a shot in the game equates to a solid burst of fire. So one turn of shooting from a bolter is actually firing like, three or six bolts.

The average plasma cartridge holds ten to twelve plasma shots. Since it's just an attachment, and combi-weapons are tricky to begin with, I can't imagine the combi-plasma's ammunition capacity being too huge, so game-wise it comes up as one round of shooting - about three plasma bolts. In the fluff, you could probably stretch this, or even have your character reloading the attachment at some point. It's implied to be difficult or at least time-consuming to do so, which is why they can't do so in between shooting phases.

Option ( is the most sensible, really.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread