crusaders - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: crusaders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

crusaders

hey there, i was considering starting a type of space marine cursader force.
    i was thinking about giving every squad and leader their own colurs and heraldry, to make every unit as individual as possible. so they would sort of end up looking like space bretionians (if you see where im coming form)

do you guys think this would work in a fluff sense? and if so how would the fluff work?

any and all ideas would be much appreciated

Dont Look Back... Something Might Be Gaining ;-)
    Tau 1500 (in progress) win/draw/loss 3/1/0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

One Vision, One Purpose! X-Slash-X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

A good example of what you're trying to do would be the Black Templars.
    They are a space-borne Chapter that consists exclusively as Crusades around the Imperium. Each of these Crusades has a Marshal, who acts as their Commander. He sometimes also has Captains called Castellans below him to lead the army.
    The Templars were designed after the Knights Templar and the Crusading Knights of old. The good thing about them is that they don't opperate in formally marked Squads. Instead, they band together out of familiarity. They have no Sergeants, and no Templar looks alike.
    They all have the same colour scheme, as a Chapter, but often have different badges and markings to represent their Crusade/Marshal/Castellan, or any of the deeds they have accomplished.
    Many also take Trophies from the enemy, while others mark themselves with Scripture from the Emperor's Word.

As you can see, the Templars are designed to be very individual, with a lot of attention placed in personal honours and achievements, while still retaining loyalty to their Chapter and Crusade.

X-Slash-X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In short, yes, it would work wonderfully.

It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination at all to have your SM (space marine) army themed as crusading knights.

In terms of fluff, there's quite a few SM chapters with no specific homeworld, who are simply kick'n around the Galaxy sticking it to the heretic, the witch, and the Xenos. Black Templars are the big one. Dark Angles are quite similar as well. You could have your army entirely space based, for which there's a few precedents, and have them recruit as they move along, delivering aid where necessary. Their home planet might have been destroyed by chaos, or perhaps they've been designated as a chapter that will be crusading from the off-set. They might be one of the many chapters specifically created to patrol the Maelstrom or the Eye of Terror. They MIGHT be a penitent chapter. Occasionally SMs screw up. I don't recall the name, but there was a chapter in the Badab uprising that essentially picked the wrong side through sheer bad luck. They weren't corrupted per say, and still fought in the name of the emperor. So after they lost, they were ordered to go on a 100 year crusading, revoking their claim to their homeworld, and losing recruiting privileges.

You might even have them designed as the fighters of a specific army, like the Tyranids. They go from world to world fighting them, and destroying Gene-stealer infestations. Or pehaps they're meant to be striking into any of the numerous Orc empires, killing warbosses and generally causing mahem. The Blood Ravens don't know anything about their homeworld or their primarch, so a lot of their time is searching for answers. You've got plenty to work with as far as reasons are concerned.

If you're going for a crusader theme, pehaps sending them to watch over the eye of terror, or crusading into the empire of the emperorless savages (Orcs). All could be written with a nice crusading, "Lets go kill some Saracens" sort of vibe.

The new Dark Angles have some rather lovely miniatures that would fit well. Tabards and armor embellishments abound, all easily painted to see crusader-like.

Good luck with your army, all lights are green.

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

Yeah Nightwing you described Black Templars. They are like space bretionians, since bretionians are like medival europe. And speaking of crusades there was these 2 big ones IRL involving medivial europe. And one of the most known group of crusades were the Knights Templar (Black Templars). If you paint every marine the same color but added different color runes or armor plates I don't think it would make much difference.
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank guys the help is much appreciated. but going back to what slash said about black tamplar familiarity. the army i was thinking of creating would have every squad with totally indiviual squad colours markings and hearldry, just like the original crusaders. what do you think?

One Vision, One Purpose! X-Slash-X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

It would work. I can see it being a highly characterful army to work with. The only problem would be getting into Tournements. Unless all your units have something which makes them look unified, such as their basic colour scheme, I think you may lose army composition points. Besides, it just looks so good when you see the whole army "fit" together.

You could still go with individual markings and colours for each squad. I say just make their primary colour the same for all of them. Give em different shoulders, helmets, markings. Just make sure the base colour or something is the same. With the Black Templars, this is their Black Armour. It can also be said about their Shoulder Pads, but not all have the same. Some have red, gold or even more black. But they all have on thing in common: their black armour.

X-Slash-X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm this may be a problem, but ah screw it if i need unity ill use my storm trooper tau

i think this army may end up as a bit of a show piece

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I personally think it would look really nice, and, as long as their is something to unify them in some way (perhaps one colour which is repeated throughout) wouldn't look too fractured either. Generally, chapters have a single colour scheme which represents the honour of the chapter, but there's no reason why your chapter can't be a little different.

Also, don't be afraid to borrow parts from warhammer fantasy.. I'm betting you could make some nice stuff from parts of the Bretonian knight sprues.

+ Reply to Thread