Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hello and welcome to my first battlereport for years (the last ones I did were about Dark Eldar and got pruned on the forum software change it seems).
My goal for this battle was to create a list that might challenge the Eldar I was about to face, most important to me was to playtest the new codex though. If I would have to play his Eldar again I would most certainly take a complete different list, it was good to playtest the new daemons, the sorcerer and the new rhino squads with Chaos Glory Mark and Mark of Khorne though. I hope by reading this you can all gain some insight on what might work and what not (I sure learned a lot).
Anyway, on with the battle report.
The Chaos forces:
- Sorcerer (MoS, Wings, LoS)
- Greater Daemon
- 6x Lesser Daemons
- 9x Chaos Space Marine (Chaos Glory, 2x PlasmaGun), Champ (CG, PowerWeapon), Rhino
- 9x CSM (MoK, 2x PlasmaGun), Champ (MoK, PW), Rhino
- 5x Termies (MoK, Heavy Flamer, PowerFist), Landraider with Dozwerblades
- 6x Chosen (CG, 2x PlasmaGun)
- 4x Raptors (Mark of Slaneesh, 2x MeltaGun), Champ (Twin Lignting Claws)
- 2x Obliterator
The Eldar forces as I remember them, might be a bit off here and there:
- Seer Council with Witchblades
- IC with Psi Powers (Has a staff with all powers and forces opponent to use 3d6 for Psi)
- Wave Serpant with weapon upgrades
- Full Guardian Squad with Bright Lance and a Warlock with Singing Spear
- 5x Rangers
- 8x Warp Spider, one of them an Exarch
- 8x Striking Scorpions, one of them an Exarch with PW
- 6x Dark Reapers, one of them an Exarch
- Wraithlord with Bright Lance
- Falcon with Bright Lance
Battlefield: 48 x 48, roughly 20% to 25% of cover on the board, the middle of the board was free of obstacles.
Mission: Hold Quarters, 6 Rounds, Reserves and Infiltration
Deplyoment: I won the role and chose Q3 with 2 ruins on the sides, the path to the center of board was free. The Eldar got Q2 with a big mountain in the back of his zone and a ruin on his right side. As I won quarters he could deploy first.
He deployed his Wraithlord 6 away from the center, forcing me back into my quarter. Behind his Wraith followed the Guardians, next to him was the Seer Council with the Independant Character and the Avatar. The Rangers deployed in cover to the Q1 side, the Warpspiders deplyoed to the Q4 side. The Wave Serpant and Falcon deployed behind the mountain.
I deployed my two Rhinos and the Landraider in the center, to Q4 where the two Oblits, to Q1 was Typhus, the Sorcerer and the Raptors.
My Chosen infiltrated between two forests into Q1 first, he infiltrated his Striking Scorpions to Q4 behind some cover.
I won the role for first turn and decided to take it.
- The Chosen advanced towards the Eldar flank on Q2, the Raptors and the Sorcerer flew behind the chosen. The Oblits moved a bit to gain better LoS (Line of sight). Everything else stood still.
- The Rhinos and the LW popped smoke. The LandRaider fired at the Wraithlord and did one wound, the Oblits took one wound off the Wraith, the two Rhino crews each fired a plasma, one of them killed the Wraithlord (I wanted that T8 beast gone as I lacked high Streangth CloseCombat). Typhus cast Wind of Chaos on the Warpspiders, it scattered and only killed one (this was going to be a trend). My Sorcerer tried to lash the Dark Reapers, roled 13 with 3d6 and lost a wound to the warp attack.
- No CC.
- Falcon and Serpant moved out of cover to gain LoS to the LR, Guardians, Council, Avatar, Warpsiders and Striking Scorpions moved forward.
- The Dark Reapers wiped my Raptors out (man, I hate those, they hurt so much), the Warpspiders rapid fire my Rhino and pop it, no passengers get killed but they are pinned. All other units fire at my LR, nothing happens though (good news). The rangers kill one chosen, thats it. The Council and the Avatar get luck.
- No CC.
- The Greater Daemon comes out of reserve, I deploy him as the pinned CSM champ. Unfortunately he is not allowed to move this turn. The LR moves towards the Warpsiders, the Termies disembark. The Khorne Marines disembark and leg it towards the council, their Rhino moves forward to cover the pinned CSM and GD and to allow Typhus to gain LoS on the Striking Scorpions. The Chosen move forward, the Sorcerer flys towards the council.
- The LR pops a shot at the Avatar but it saves. The sorcerer lashes the Dark Reapers out of cover towards the chosen (into charge range, yay, go Lash), the Chosen don´t wound any with their pistols though. Typhus tries to WoC the SS, he scatters again, killing one (see a trend there?). The Khorne Marines rapid fire the council, killing one. The Termies use their Heavy Flamer on the Avatar (which is of course immune, doh me), the flamer covers 3 from the council though, killing one. The Oblits shoot their Plasmaguns on the SS, one misses, the other hits 4 and wounds only 1 (3x 1 for wounds, go me).
- The Chosen assault the Dark Reapers,they kill one and the Chosen kill one. The Sorcerer charges the council and kills none (my dice were horrible there), they hit back and inflict one wound. The Khorme Marines charge the council, one Marine dies, they kill one (at this time I was close to burnng my dice). The Termies charge the Avatar, it kills one, I inflict no wounds though (ok, this was definately not going as planned, the WS 10 on the Avatar hurt, I only hit on 5 and wound on 6).
- The SS move towards my Oblits, the Warpsiders move towards the Termies, the Guardians move to gain LoS on the LR
- Shooting is uneventful. The Rangers shoot a Rhino, nothing happens. The SS shoot the oblits, they save everything. The Serpant and Falcon can not scratch the LR.
- The Chosen and Dark Reapers kill none, it s a draw again. My Sorcerer kills one from the council, they hit back and no dothing. The Avatar kills one Termie, they wound it twice, he saves all (rerolling +4 saves are no fun). The Council kills one Marine, they kill one in return. The Warpsiders attack the termies and kill none (yay, go +2 Armor). The SS charge the Oblits and inflict several wounds, all bar one are saved. The Oblits in return hit only 2 times, wounding none (I hate snake eyes).
- The Lesser Daemons come out of reserve and DeepStrike close to the council and sorcer. The CSM are no longer pinned and move into the cover where the Oblits and SS are fighting (note that I had to keep more then 1 away from them in the movment, this will be important in the assault phase). Tyhpus moves towards the center and gains LoS on the Guardians. The GDeamon moves towards the center
- Typhus tries to WoC the Guardians, he scatters and kills 1 (wow). The LR tries to shoot the Falcon, nothing happens. The Rhino kills one Guardian.
- The CSM try to assault the SS, they role snake eyes for charge in difficult terrain and are not allowed to engage (since they had to be more then 1 away in movement.. this cost me my Oblits really). The SS Exarch kills the Oblits with his PW, they advance towards the CSM. The Chosen kill a Reaper, they hold though. The GD charges the Warpspiders and kills them all, the Avatar kills all Termies. The Lesser Deamons charge the council, kill none, the sorcerer kills none, the Marines kill 2, in return 2 Marines are killed.
- The SS move close to the CSM, the Vehicles move to gain LoS on my lone Rhino and Typhus.
- The Rangers destroy my Rhino, Typhus is now the closest Model since everything else is in CC. The Falcon opens fire on Typhus and insta kill him with a Str 8 hit. That hurt... The Serpant hits the LR, rols a 1 and has it stunned.
- In CC the sorcers and the Lesser Daemons kill the last councilman (finally), the CSM are reduced by the Eldar IC, there is only one and the champ standing. The GDemon starts his epic battle with the Avatar, it is a draw though. The SS charge and kill two CSM, the CSM kill two. The Dark Reapers finally fall victim to my Chosen.
- The Chosen move towards the Rangers.
- The chosen shoot the rangers, nothing happens.
- In CC the Avatar inflicts no wound on the Gdemon, he manages to wound twice and only one wound is saved (no more luck on the Avatar). The IC kills the Sorcerer wich is in btb (base to base), the Marines and Lesser Daemons inflict one unsafed wound on the IC. The CSM Champ manages to kill the remaining SS as he hits before the exarch (nice one).
- Guards move to the LR, Rangers move to the chosen.
- No shooting.
- The Guards charge the LR, the spear pierces it but destroys only one Laser. The Avatat inflicts one unsaved wound on the GDeamon, he inflicts one back. The IC kills the last marine and falls victim to the Lesser Daemons. The Rangers charge the chosen but kill none, one is killed in return.
The CC in the middle was won by GD and LD, the LR was shot down by the Guards and Vehicles. The Guards charged the Daemons and tried to kill enough to reduce them to below 50%, but get wiped out (hahaha). I have no AV (Anti Vehicles) left so his vehicles are save and kill my last two chosen after they finished the rangers off (sob).
End: We both had around 450 pts left, his quarter was contested, mine was free, he had Q1 and I had Q4. It is a draw.
Conclusion:The CC in the middle was really the most important part of the game. I was unlucky with my roling (especially with the sorcerer and his force weapon), the real problem was the sheer number of saves the council and Avatar have though (luck on them is awesome). Next time the Avatar has to die quicker (he makes all troups in 12 fearless) altough with WS10 and T6 this is not easy. The Dark Reapers are a real pain in the a**** and I need to find out how to negate them asap (as soon as possible). I really learned that champs with PF are still a must have, the Chosen would have won their CC far quicker.
All in all it was a learned lesson and a fun game. The point about my CSM not able to charge because they had to stay back more then 1 in movement and then roling snake eyes for charge range was really dissapointing for me and i would like to know if this was really in the spirit of the rules.
I would be happy about comments, thank you for reading this wall of text
Last edited by Hoelli; September 25th, 2007 at 11:07. Reason: Copy Paste killed the paragraph formation, changed the wording of a***, changed or explained some abreviations.
I'm shocked! Another eldar army lead by Eldrad and the Avatar. I think I have played 1 game against an eldar player which wasn't led by these two since the new codex, and that was at 1250 points.
I'm surprised the GD did so well against the Avatar as I usualy have a really tough time with it.
The raptor squad seems really small with a lot of costly upgrades. Having power armour in LOS of dark reapers is never fun, but it's really not fun when they are expensive.
I'm happy to see how the new army works, I just got the new book myself and am currentaly making and tossing out lists in antisipation for my first game with it later this week.
Congrats on what sounds like a fun game!
Great report. Your strategy was quite sound, but as in many cases the dice failed you.
You commented that you would take a different list. What do you see as the good and bad in the new codex now that you have a game under your belt?
40K: Tyranid, Necron, Space Wolves
Fantasy: Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarves
Enjoyed the report.
Couple of tips:
Gifts of Chaos doesn’t scatter.
While Greater Daemons can’t move the turn they come into play, the can, however, assault. I wasn't sure if you were playing by this rule, as it was difficult to know by your battle report.
Spambot kill tally. . .337
@Romulus: Against Eldar I would try to field two Sorcerers with Force Weapons and Warptime just to show him what a bad idea it is to have these in CC with the Council. I would also need more Powerfists just to make sure Ihavesomething to attack the Wraithlord with, so that I could shoot the Avatar (hopefully in round one before it is lucky).
I would not field the Lesser Daemons, the GDeamon did well though. The Chosen definately need a champ and I am not sure if 400 pts of Termies in a LR are really a good idea. Usually I am a huge fan of Standards
@Rabbit: The rules for Wind of Chaos say "this is resolved as firing a template weapon". This maybe a translation error in my case since we use the german rulebook, but is the big template (ordanance) or the flamer template meant? If it is the latter, it would of course not scatter We used the big template and a scatte dice as if I would fire a Battlecanon directly.
I removed the Champ of the pinned CSM for the GDemon, as that he was out of charge range for anything.
I believe Gift of Chaos is a flamer template weapon, and as such doesn't scatter.Originally Posted by Hoelli
Sonded like a fun game! I personally can't wait to get my first official 4Ed game in!
Originally Posted by Brett on Quidditch[ 1500pt. Chaos List, C&C! ]
-=W: 2 -D: 0- L: 3=-
Ummm...it's generally a bad idea to assault the really special eldar characters. Both Eldrad and Prince Yriel wound on a 2+ are are equipped with power weapons. I actually take that back, get into CC with eldrad, otherwise he'll just empower the Eldar army or completely screw you over.
Future Tip: Don't take LRs vs Eldar and DE. They both eat them for breakfast, though you did have some luck there, it lasting until turn 5 or 6. I'd personally advise something like teleport homers.
Good battle though. i have a friend who survives off of GoC, so it can't be horrible.
Eldrad Ulthran has 1 attack, he is not good for cc mate.
Also wind of chaos is flamer template, it automatically hits wherever you put it. No scatter and not even ballistic skill involved.
Ordnance or Large Blast=Large Blast
Also dark reapers have a maximum squad size of 5.
Otherwise good report, the best tactic against eldar is simply experience. You need to know about them.
Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!
If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.
#good report, well fought, observations - the report would be a little easier to read if you use less abreviations. The Eldar list and how he used them is not brilliant, but congratualations all the same
Everything you have been told is a lie!
In the words of Borat, Very Niiiice. I agree with the last post though- Abrevs. are Awes. 4 shur, but it is helpful for those who may be new or unfamiliar with certain units/armies to use the full wording for the first time you mention the unit, weapon, whatever, and then abrev. for the rest of the post.