Librarium Online Forums banner

ANIMATED! 500 pt. guard vs eldar

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  MVBrandt 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
that eldar list was an absolute push over. not take any credit away from you but an autarch even in a small scale game is pretty poor, the fire dragons are for anti tank and its pretty obvious that you werent gonna take one. also they're only good mounted which wont do him any good in terms of points. rangers are for monstrous creatures and small elite squads. dire avengers are much better than guardians in this edition. sorry but your opponent didnt take a good list (i think so anyways) also failing 2 pinning tests would've been funny i imagine.

#4 ·
That was a pretty cool bat rep. As StKilda said it wasn't the best list to take against IG, but it wasn't that bad. I don't think there would have been much he could have done differently at any rate.
Mortars are fun, no? Everyone disparages them, and then they turn around and pin their most expensive units. I love them - I usually run a similar set up with my guard - I remember when they single handidly killed a jetbike squad, pinned avengers for 2 turns, killed the otherwise untouchable rangers and then beat down a farseer in close combat - they got MVU that game and a swag of trophies to boot!

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Eldar player is a 10yr old kid. He's playing WITH WHAT HE'S GOT.

of course, at the 500pt lvl for the Esc. League, the max armor was 32combined (front + side + rear), so he couldn't take his Falcon. He does pretty good when he's got his falcons on the board.

the rules we're using for 500pts are very similar to combat patrol rules.

For a lot of the younger guys who show up at our shop to play, the game is about having fun. This kids learning. He's gotten better in the last few months, and his older brother has gotten mean with 'nid swarms.

It's nice to see new blood coming in to learn the game. Do you show them good sportsmanship,

#8 ·
nice batrep. though i couldn't get it to load properly on this damned PC. i had to read it in the alternat version, which is always nice to have ;Y

of course, at the 500pt lvl for the Esc. League, the max armor was 32combined (front + side + rear), so he couldn't take his Falcon. He does pretty good when he's got his falcons on the board.

the rules we're using for 500pts are very similar to combat patrol rules.
whoa. i thought the combined values of a vehicle's AV's were no more than 33 to participate in CP-type games.

For a lot of the younger guys who show up at our shop to play, the game is about having fun. This kids learning. He's gotten better in the last few months, and his older brother has gotten mean with 'nid swarms.
I know what you mean on that front, my brother's 11yrs old and occaisionally plays WHFB with me versus his dwarves. he's a nasty player when it comes to guessing ranges ;o.

p.s. That crazy Guardsman with the huge chainsword is great! i don't know anything about the Guard's Codex but, are certain member allowed Eviserators? It's huge!

-Kai-Itza-

#7 ·
dude you have no reason to apologize...IT WAS A BAD LIST!!! and no offense but if your only 12, then that 33 yo guy has no right telling you not to be a jerk when he was one in the first place. You gave him feedback which was what he wanted regardless of who the opponent was. How were you to know that he was only 10? I think that he overreacted and i apologize if i aswell am doing so but that was a bit over the edge, should my opinion be warrented. Thanks.:?

#9 ·
From what I've been reading in his reports, their store has their own CP ruleset.

I loved the report. The animation didn't work for me from the web page but snagged the flash and was able to play it from my desktop.

Win XP SP2, IE 6 SP2.

#10 ·
Animation wouldnt work for me either, but loved the report, nicely presented Ailaros

Farm punk, there was no need for that. Kelda is right, the eldar list is appalingly bad, your eplanation makes sense so a degree but that information was not available

Personnaly when we get a 10 year old kid at my local store I take the time to discuss his army and encourage him to get a decent list

#11 ·
I apologize if I came off too strongly. I meant no offense to St. Kilda, or anyone else.

I believe several other of the players at our local shop have asked that player level be expressed when it's a younger player in a batrep. We've also had many talks about sportsmanship. (mostly due to some rowdy teens)

I walked into the shop that night to see a full grown man snickering and pointing at a good natured kid because the kid was getting pummeled from out of LoS, and failed a pinning check.
From what the kid said, there was no explanation of rules, no help with strategy.

I talked with the kid about strategy changes, and what he might have been able to do differently, and outfit his troops different. He doesn't like the idea of proxy, but admitted that a scatter laser on his vyper would have been good, and that warp spiders instead of fire dragons would have been good as well. He's excited because he can use his falcons at the 750pt level.

I sincerely apologize again for any offense I might have caused.

for those who are interested, the rules for the Armored Gopher escalation league are as follows:

First Month (October)
1. 500 pts.
2. You must have at least one troop choice.
3. You may have no more than 1 HQ choice.
4. No single model may have more than 3 wounds.
5. No vehicle can have a combined armor value of 33 or higher.
6. No special characters.
7. No model may have a save of 2+ by any means.

Second Month (November)
1. 750 pts.
2. You must have at least one troop and one HQ choice.
3. No single model may have more than 3 wounds.
4. No vehicle can have a combined armor value of 35 or higher.
5. No special characters.

Third Month (December)
1. 1,000
2. Standard rules

#14 ·
I walked into the shop that night to see a full grown man snickering and pointing at a good natured kid because the kid was getting pummeled from out of LoS, and failed a pinning check.
From what the kid said, there was no explanation of rules, no help with strategy.
Hey, come now! I went over my list and told him what every unit would be doing at the beginning of the game. Just because I didn't tell him how to beat me didn't mean I was being unhelpful.

I'm glad that everyone has liked the animation. If you troll around through the archives, you can find the other couple of ones that I've made so far.

As well, for those of you who can't get the flash to work (which is sad, as like half of the people can't get it to work. Flash simply isn't as platform independent as I would have hoped...) you can download the .swf file here:

www.wizardhat.com/ailarian/archive/14/articles/NDBatrep-14.swf

#13 · (Edited)
A few discrepansies(that spelt right?:
1) The list wasn't the best, judging from the colour schemes, he either hadn't finshed painting or had borrowed some models. If the later was the case couldn't yuo have encouraged him to take some better ones? I'm not trying to insult him, but you don't learn better unless you know that what you are currntly doing isn't good enough.

2) The "Scatter Laser" platform was actually a missle launcher. Proxying is all right if your young but I would have stuck with the missle launcher. And proxied the scatter laser onto the the vyper. If you already have AT then you don't put a brightlance onto a vyper, it's BS isn't good enough to effectively use a single shot weapon(Cheredanine has me learning;)).

And yeah Mate, Cloudstrike would dominate at 750pts.

#16 ·
Yeah, gotta love those firewalls on the office network...quite frankly I'm surprised I can still get on this - they seem to have blocked everything else to do with games (except ctrl alt del - thank god)

#17 ·
Liked the battle report.

And the 10 year olds have to learn somewhere. He did get to kill some stuff. As long as he has fun it's OK. You can help them out with strategy afterward, I like to do that, though usually they're on a budget and I really try to avoid telling them the models they have are wasted cash.

Looks like in the next game the kid can add a falcon. He could then mount the dragons. Maybe go double shuris on the vyper. I think I could have an OK list.

#20 ·
Word for the animation.

As a shooty 'Nid player, I can't stand escalation leagues that prohibit multi-wound models in smaller games ... gotta love it when all you have to even try and ding skimmer lists is an 18" range zoanthrope or a few fragile and pricey warriors.

Glad things settled down on the 10 y/o front, was about to sarcastically say something relating to how pissed off people were getting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.