[Battle Rep][1500 pts][Nids vs. Eldar] - Quick Rep - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

[Battle Rep][1500 pts][Nids vs. Eldar] - Quick Rep

Hive Commanders

I wanted to post a quick report on a game that I had yesterday versus a tough Eldar Army. Its not as comprehensive as my usual reports, but I did want to point out a few things in hopes I can get some advice, because I lost the game. The only diagram I was able to make was what I remember during the deployment phase. This diagram is NOT to scale, but was played on a standard 6' x 4' table playing the mission: Seek And Destroy.

---------------------
    ARMY LISTS
    Eldar Units
    Eldrad
    1 Avatar
    1 Warlock (attached to the Eldar Guardians)
    1 unit of Harelquins (approx 7 models)
    1 unit of Eldar Guardians with Starcannon (approx 10 models)
    1 unit of Dire Avengers (approx 10 models)
    1 unit of Fire Warriors with Wave Serpent Transport (approx. 6 models)
    1 unit of Dark Reapers (approx 5 models; no Exarch)
    1 Wraithlord

Tyranid Units
    HQ
    Hive Tyrant - Bone Sword/Lash Whip – Scything Talons – Winged – Toxin Sacs – Adrenal Gland (+1 WS, +1 I) – Implant Attack

Hive Tyrant - Venom Cannon - TL Devourer - Enhanced Senses - Toxin Sacs - Catalyst - 2 Tyrant Guard

ELITES
    Devilfex – 2 Twin-linked Devourers – Enhanced Senses

TROOPS
    6 Genestealers – Extended Carapiece
    6 Genestealers – Extended Carapiece
    12 Spinegaunts
    12 Hormagaunts

HEAVY SUPPORT
    2 Zoanthropes – Warp Blast – Synapse
    Sniperfex – Venom Cannon – Barbed Strangler – Enhanced Senses

FAST ATTACK
    1 Ravener – Rending Claws – Scything Talons
    1 Ravener – Rending Claws – Scything Talons
    12 Gargoyles

--------------------
    DEPLOYMENT REMARKS
    I originally wanted to deploy on the far southeast quadrant, using a weighted/refused flank. However, with Eldrad, I know he can re-deploy 1-4 units. So I thought it was best to keep the army together, near the center. With 2 terrain pieces blocking LOS in the middle, I didn't think it was a bad deployment.

--------------------
    OVERALL BATTLE REMARKS/REFLECTIONS

1) I thought the 3 target priority units to destroy (in order of preference) are
    a) Harlequins - Due to their speed and rending ability
    b) Avatar - Since he makes everyone nearby fearless
    c) Eldrad - Psychic Abilities
    The other units are important, but if given a choice, I'd attack these units. Right now, my mindset is to try to elimiate his units one-by-one, instead of trying to spread my attacks around. So these are my priorities. This is one of the errors I think I'm making. But to be honest I don't know if I'm prioritizing correctly.

2) With mindset 1 above, for some reason I opted to try to take the combat on the east, thinking it was best to get into combat with Eldar Guardians, Avatar, and Harelquins. I won initiative and opted to go first. So essentially all battles usually centered near or in terrain piece #4, located on the east side of the board. In hindsight I think it would have been better to move in west or northwest. My reasoning is that although he has units that can fleet, the avatar would take longer to get into combat if I headed west. In addition, I could potentially reduce my shooting targets by using terrain pieces #3 and #4 to block LOS. Just by manuvering differently, I think I could have performed better

3) Although remark 2 above could have led to the loss, I made some distinct tactical errors that also sealed my fate
    a) Trying to use my Zoanthrope to make a psychic test near Eldrad (dooh!)
    b) Shooting at an Avatar that was Fortuned, instead of an Eldar Guardian unit
    c) Not trying to use both my genestealer units and Hive Tyrant to finish off the Avatar. In this battle I assumed that 6 genestealers and 1 Hive Tyrant (with Implant Attack) could kill the Avatar.
    d) Sending all my gaunts/gargoyles/hormagaunts through terrain to attack the Harelequin unit. Giving them initative 10 and forgetting they had hit and run.

4) There were a couple of wierd events, relating to dice rolling, that I thought was worth noting
    a) My Zoanthrope making 3 Invulnerable saves (6+), two of them coming in one set (I rolled box cars)
    b) The Avatar making 5 invulnerable saves against genestealer rending attacks.

Any constructive comments/comments would be highly appreciated

Rudy Wilfred Picardo
    Tyranid Player
    Current Record (W/L/D) 143/112/60
    Recent Battle - 1500 pt draw vs. IG player (mission: Seek And Destroy)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Already responded on SWC mate
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by RudyPicardo View Post
    Tyranid Units
    HQ
    Hive Tyrant - Bone Sword/Lash Whip – Scything Talons – Winged – Toxin Sacs – Adrenal Gland (+1 WS, +1 I) – Implant Attack
    Catalyst - 2 Tyrant Guard
    You can't take Tyrant Guard with a flying Hive Tyrant, I'm afraid.

Also, I'm curious why you chose to use the Bone Sword / Lash Whip? General concensus (and something I personally believe) is that the BS/LW is poor choice. There are very few units in your army that Catalyst would seem to benefit. Implant Attack is also generally skipped (although there are situations where's it's useful) due to a lack of multi-wound models in most armies.

I also think you're perhaps a little low on numbers for fighting Eldar, Tau, and other shooty and mobile armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja View Post
    You can't take Tyrant Guard with a flying Hive Tyrant, I'm afraid.

Also, I'm curious why you chose to use the Bone Sword / Lash Whip? General concensus (and something I personally believe) is that the BS/LW is poor choice. There are very few units in your army that Catalyst would seem to benefit. Implant Attack is also generally skipped (although there are situations where's it's useful) due to a lack of multi-wound models in most armies.

I also think you're perhaps a little low on numbers for fighting Eldar, Tau, and other shooty and mobile armies.
    Hive Commander PoptartsNinja

There was actually another shooting Hive Tyrant in this battle. I copied this battle report from another one that I made. I accidentally truncated that unit during copying. My apologies for the confusion there. This shooting Tyrant should address your concerns about shooty and mobile armies, since I have my Devilfex/Sniperfex/Zoanthrope and Winged HT/Gargoyles/Hormagaunts/Raveners to deal with shooty and mobile armies respectively.

Again my sincere apologies to the readers for this confusion.

My Winged Hive Tyrant is meant to seek out Independent Character units or those with multiple wounds. I choose the Bone Sword/Lash Whip combo because I like to be able to Catalyze units within 6" with the Bone Sword, so it does save me from adding flesh hooks to all my units. Its a more defensive mindset. In hindsight I would prefer 2 scything talons. As far as implant attack is concerned, I like it. Against the Eldar I wanted to take out the Avatar then Eldrad, but just couldn't do it with the Winged Hive Tyrant. The Hive Tyrant has a more difficult time scoring wounds with the Avatar's high WS, so the Implant attack gives more weight with each failed wound - I put the pressure on my opponent to make his invulnerable saves.
    Rudy Wilfred Picardo
    Tyranid Player
    Current Record (W/L/D) 143/112/60
    Recent Battle - 1500 pt draw vs. IG player (mission: Seek And Destroy)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

From the info you provide my best guess is that you played to his strengths. What I mean is that it looks like you got into cc with his close combat units and mostly let his shooty units shoot. That's not the way to do things.

Since Harlies and the avatar have invul saves with re-rolls thanks to Eldrad they can be very hard units in CC.

The correct move against the Harlies is definitly to focus on shooting them down. While doing that I would have tried to get fast units into squads like the guardians and especially the reapers to silence those guns a while.

You are correct that you should have slid west. Delaying contact with the avatar is a good thing. Especially if you can somehow got to Eldrad before you try and fight the avatar. But just getting a little while to lay into the dragons and other units over there is worth it.

On the dice rolling. Remember a 4+ invul with a re-roll is better than a 3+ invul. That bit where the avatar shrugged off five rending attacks wasn't that much of a fluke. It'll happen about a quarter of the time. In such a situation you should only expect to get one wound through out of the five, and you shouldn't rely on even that happening.

+ Reply to Thread