2K Necrons vs Space Marines Take and Hold - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2K Necrons vs Space Marines Take and Hold

Okay, so I had my first battle in a long time today, and feel like writing a battle report. Here goes:

Necrons:

HQ

Lord
    -Destroyer Body
    -Phase Shifter
    -Resurrection Orb
    -Warscythe
    Lord
    -Destroyer Body
    -Phase Shifter
    -Resurrection Orb
    -Warscythe

Troop

Warriors x14
    Warriors x14

Elite

Flayed Ones x10

Fast Attack

Wraiths x2
    Wraiths x2
    Destroyers x5

Heavy Support

Monolith
    Heavy Destroyer x2
    Tomb Spyder x2

Space Marines (as best I remember)

HQ

Captain
    -Terminator Armour
    -Power Sword
    -5 other Terminators, assault cannon, power sword, storm bolters and powerfists

Troop

Tactical Marines x10
    Tactical Marines x10
    Tactical Marines x10
    Scouts x5

Elite

Venerable Dreadnought
    -Assault Cannon
    Devastator Squad x5
    -Missle Launcher, Lascannon, Plasma Cannon, Heavy Bolter

Fast Attack
    Assault Marines x9

Heavy Support

Vindicator
    Dreadnought
    -Twin-linked Lascannon
    Dreadnought
    -Twin-linked Lascannon

The marines had a bunch of rocket launchers, the scouts bolt pistols and CCWs

The board was a jungle, with an Ork village at the center (it was the most objective-y thing we had...) Each DZ was about 24" or so from the center of the table, so we were bound to have a bunch of close fighting. Yay.

Setup:

Necrons:
    Destroyers on left flank, Heavy Destroyers behind them. Warriors in two clumps in front of objective, each with a Tomb Spyder. Lords and accompanying Wraiths on right flank. Flayed Ones lost infiltrate roll and ended up in some bushes just in front of and between the Warriors and Destroyers. Monolith in reserve.

Marines:
    Tactical Squad 'A' and Devastators on right flank opposite Destroyers in cover. Tac Squad 'B' to their right. Vindicator in front of objective with Assault Marines, with Terminators and the collection of Dreadnoughts milling about on the left flank opposite the pair of lords. Tac Squad 'C' behind/amongst dreadnoughts. Scouts ended up inside the village at the center.

Necrons win first turn.

Turn One:

Necrons:
    Lords and Wraiths blast forward and stop behind some trees. Warriors and Spyders advance. Flayed Ones crawl through some bushes. Destroyers jump forward and to the left to shoot at squad A. Six of the Emperor's Finest go down. Heavy Destroyers meet up alongside their lighter brethren to get a bead on the Vindicator's side. They take out it's big gun, and stun it. Tomb Spyders forget they can make Scarabs.

Marines:
    Squad A sits with the Devastators. Assault Marines jump into back of village. Vindicator putters forward under power from it's Machine Spirit. Squad B also moves up in the tank's wake. Scouts run forward to kill some 'bots. Scouts don't kill any 'bots. Vindicator doesn't kill anything either. Devastators take down the pair of Heavy Destroyers. A Flayed One dies, I don't recall how. What's left of Squad A takes out a Destroyer. One of the Dreadnoughts shoots a Warrior, who is luckily next to the Tomb Spyder. Terminators shoot at one of the Lords, along with part of Squad C. One Wraith falls. More stuff shoots at the other group, wraith makes more saves than he really should. But I'm not complaining.

Turn Two:

Necrons:
    No Monolith. Nobody makes their We'll Be Back rolls. Warriors advance, Flayed One's beeline for the scouts. Destroyers move center, take down 5 Assault Marines. One Spyder weakens the scout squad by 0. Fabulous. Warriors on left try to shoot at Assault Marines, fail leadership, and decide to rip the scouts to shreds, leaving the Flayed Ones in the open with nowhere to go. Other warriors miss Assault Squad. Lords and company charge Terminators and Company Captain. Wraiths take down a termie, and his friends fail to avenge him. Combined effort of two Necron Lords overkills Captain. Combat continues, and Tomb Spyders still do not remember they can make Scarabs.

Marines:
    Assault Marines jump and end up in front of Warriors and Flayed Ones. Venerable Dreadnought starts to make its way around the village to confront Warriors on right. Other Dreadnoughts move toward Lords. Squad B advances and fires upon Flayed Ones, along with Venerable Dreadnought, together felling all but one. Devastators and Squad A take down all the Derstroyers. Assault Marines charge warriors, inflicting no casualties, but are lose a member for their troubles.

Turn Three:

Necrons:
    Still no monolith, about 5 flayed ones get back up, some warriors that were felled by Dreadnought storm bolters. Warriors on right move up a tad, their Tomb Spyder scuttles toward the imminently approaching Dreadnought.Flayed Ones make for Squad B, accompanied by the combated Warriors' Spyder, which shoots and kills two of them. Warriors shoot at Dreadnought, but to no avail. Combated Warriors kill a pair of Assault Marines, taking a single casualty. Spyder and Flayed Ones charge Squad B, while other Spyder charges the Venerable Dreadnought, only to shortly meet its demise. Flayed Ones fare better, killing around 3 marines with minimal help from the Spyder. Lords and company take out a couple more terminators, making invulnerable saves all the way. Spyders remember they can make Scarabs when out of combat. Whoops.

Marines:
    Dreadnoughts and Squad C move closer to combat. Their venerable cousin moves closer to Warriors. Squad A and Devastators shoot at only non-entangled enemy, the Warriors on the right side of the village. They kill one, who is within range of one of the Resurrection Orbs.
    Some more warriors go down to assorted Dreadnought weaponry. One Dreadnought makes it into combat with the Warriors, and kills two. Assault squad is finished off, and Squad B fights Flayed Ones to an almost standstill. Lords and company finish off terminators, and get excellent consolidation rolls, with one (Wraith Lord) and two Wraiths intercepting the Venerable Dreadnought, and the other (Destroyer Lord) taking a single Wraith into Squad C.

Turn Four:

Necrons:
    Monolith still floating around in atmosphere, about 70% of the downed warriors are restored though. Warriors on left move behind the Flayed Ones' combat, shielding themselves from the Devastator Squad. They shoot at the Vindicator, which has been running about accomplishing not very much, but to no avail. Wraith Lord and Wraiths prove ineffective against Venerable Dreadnought, which proves equally ineffective against them. Destroyer Lord and Wraith kill a marine, maybe two, but the Wraith also goes down. Another Warrior is lost to the Dreadnought, and Flayed Ones kill a marine or two while the Tomb Spyder fails utterly.

Marines:
    Squad A and Devastators break cover to get an angle on Warriors, while Vindicator doesn't do much. Free Dreadnought moves up to join in the Warrior kill-fest, and the pair still manages to only kill two, which are still in range of a Resurrection Orb. Destroyer Lord mostly fails, but doesn't take any wounds. Wraith Lord and company glance, kill, are forced to reroll, and stun. Bleh. But they're still good to go. Flayed Ones chase off Squad B, after being reduced to 5. They follow their prey toward the recently exposed Devastators.

Turn Five:

Necrons:
    Monolith arrives, ends up between Lords' conflicts, next to Warriors and Dreadnoughts. All but the Destroyer Lord and C are within scoring distance of the center. Warriors come back, and are pulled out of Dreadnought conflict. Flayed Ones and Spyder head toward Devastators Monolith shakes one Dreadnought with its Gauss Flux Arc, and prevents movement, and Warriors manage to stun the other and take out its Lascannon. Other group of Warriors finally puts the Vindicator out of its misery. Lords don't do much, Flayed Ones kill a Devastator, Tomb Spyder kills another.

Marines:
    Squads A and B move up to shoot at Warriors next to destroyed Vindicator, inflicting a couple casualties. Dreadnoughts shoot at Monolith and Warriors, killing, again, a Warrior or two. Flayed Ones and Spyder kill another two Devastators, while loosing one themselves. Wraith Lord finally ends the Venerable Dreadnought, and consolidates into one of the other nearby Dreadnoughts. Destroyer Lord kills two Marines, a new record for him this game.

Turn Six:

Necrons:
    The Monolith moves over to make room, and pulls the Destroyer Lord out of his fray with Squad C. The Lord beelines toward the only non-embattled Dreadnought, while the Warriors move to block squad C from the objective, while staying within the 12" radius. The Warriors on the left thin down Squad A some more with their gauss fire. The final Devastator is finished off through a combined effort from the Flayed Ones and Tomb Spyder, and each Lord kills his Dreadnought in a single round of combat, although one is lost as he strikes the blow.

The Space Marines are left with one scoring unit on the table (Squad C), and it has most of the Necron army between itself and the objective. The Necrons had 4 scoring units within 12" (Warriors, Warriors, Wraiths, Monolith), and one outside(Tomb Spyder).

I learned quite a bit from this game, cheifly to not forget about the Tomb Spyders' ability to make Scarabs. I think it would have saved the one who got torn apart by the Dreadnought, at least. I also should probably keep my Destroyers better protected. It's good to know I don't rely too much upon the Monolith, it did arrive at just the right time though, those Warriors were getting nothing done in the Dreadnought combat. That's all that comes to my mind now, I apologize for the round-about style I have of writing, this is all from memory, and I didn't plan to write a battle report until about an hour ago. I really like the two Lord combination I have going though, even though it is over a quarter of my army list. Thanks for reading!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necron player, here. I loved the CC army. Those two D Lords look hard to handle. One note on the Spyders. Keep in mind that the second you make one Scarab base you get the majority toughness, which means the scarab's toughness. In close combat the scarabs soak up wounds, but if he has any plasma you're in trouble at long range. He does two wounds, instakills the scarab, and wraps to the Spyder. That part is rough. I see what you mean about the Dread, though, and he probably isn't too worried about Tomb Spyders with two lords and a bunch of Wraiths coming for him.

One other question: How on earth did those assault marines kill so little? Did he have a power weapon in the group? If not, shame on him. Everyone I play loads up on the armor save and WBB denying stuff.

Weaf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll keep the majority toughness in mind, thanks.

As for the Assault Squad, he had them kitted out with melta-bombs. Beyond that just bolt pistols and chainswords. And I didn't mention it, but I made a lot of saves, especially for the Warriors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Cool game. I like the idea of CC necrons. I've toyed with the idea myself, but never wanted to make the army.

I believe your list is illegal though. Only one lord is allowed the phase-shifter upgrade. I'd also rework your lord upgrades. Sythe is sweet for both, but 2 res orbs is overkill. Just give one lord res orb and phase shifter. Take wounds on him against power weapons when you can so as to gain the benefit of the inv. Give the other guy phylactery. Take most of your wounds to him, so when he dies he has a good chance of coming back strong. No need for them to both have res, use the points you save on gaze of flame or nightmare shroud. Send them with the wraiths like you did and wreak havoc.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd also add more flayed ones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanchadith View Post
    I believe your list is illegal though. Only one lord is allowed the phase-shifter upgrade.
    Correct.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? Dammit. Oh well, it'll be good for me to try out some other wargear anyway. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread