Tyranids Vs. New Orks, 1750 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Tyranids Vs. New Orks, 1750

This is just a friendly game between myself and the local store owner. He has played orks for a Very long time and even proxied his Big Meks with old orks holding plasma cannons from several codexes ago. Anyway, this is his first shot at playing with the new orks and though things don't go so well for him in this game I did watch him wipe a choas force off of the table in 4 turns right afterwards.

The Lists~
    Me: Same list…To see the prior exploits of Grendel and Ymir see…Tyranids vs. Ultramarines from 2 weeks agohttp://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=156335.0.
    HQ:
    Tyrant- Devourers x2, +S, +Bs Grendel
    Tyrant Guard
    Tyrant- Devourers, Venom Cannon, +S, +Bs Ymir
    Elites:
    Dakkafex- Devourers x2, +Bs
    Troops:
    Genestealers x6- +Sv
    Genestealers x6- +Sv
    Genestealers x6- +Sv
    Hormagaunts x12- +I
    Hormagaunts x12- +I
    Ripper Swarms x8
    Fast Attack:
    Ravener- Scything Talons, Rending Claws
    Heavy Support:
    Sniperfex- Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, +Bs, +W
    Sniperfex- Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, +Bs, +W
    Zoanthropes x3- Warp Blast, One w/Synapse

Him: From memory…and I don’t own the ork codex
    HQ:
    Big Mek- Shokk Attack Gun…or the one where you roll for strength, ordinance
    Big Mek- Shokk Attack Gun
    Troops:
    11 boyz w/ Power Klaw Nob,
    Trukk w/ red paint job
    Trukk w/ red paint job
    Trukk w/ red paint job
    Trukk w/ red paint job
    Trukk w/ red paint job
    Trukk w/ red paint job
    Fast Attack:
    2 Buggies w/ TL Rokkit Launcha
    Heavy Support:
    3 Killer Kans w/ Rokkit Launcha…Freakin amazing cheap unit
    3 Killer Kans w/ Rokkit Launcha
    3 Killer Kans w/ Rokkit Launcha

I will lead this battle report off with a note. My opponent hit like crazy but probably rolled 1’s 50% of the time to wound my Carnifexes and Zoanthropes or I would make my Zoanthropes 6up Invuln save from his PKs. With that said, I believe that the game would have been closer with average rolls.

We decided to play a ‘just kill em’ game, I chose the side with a long building to hide behind and won the roll for first turn. Here is a pic of deployment. The brown rectangles are 4up cover and tan circles are 5up hills

Ymir could hear the coming Wagg before they were even within sight. The unnatural rumble of engines with the occasional backfire arrived well ahead of the rabble producing it. The massive tyrants had already arranged the lesser broods into defensive positions before the vehicles had even cresset the hill. The defense of their hive took top priority without the support of a hive fleet in orbit; their small force had just returned from a raid and had only just processed the captured biomass into fresh broods. The inorganic juggernaughts before them paused for a moment as the green tide came face to face with this new foe. This was the opening that Ymir had prepared. As its massive frame crashed forward into the ruins of an old preys nest the psychic order was given to shower this new threat with living death.

Turn 1~Nids~
    Movement: My plan was to let him advance on me so the only movement was to let my Carnies and Tyrant move into covered firing positions. The only movement of note is my dakkafex moving forward about 5 inches into the building and my left flank peeling around to the right to refuse that side.
    Shooting: Sniper 1 peels a TL rokkit off of Buggie 1
    Sniper 2 Stuns and peels both rokkits off of buggie 2
    Ymir Destroys Truk 6 and the boyz disembark un-entangled with no losses
    Not to productive but its not like I am Tau or anything.

Turn 1~Orks~
    Movement: Everything moves forward except the Mekks. Truk 5 disgorges boys in an attempt to charge my dakkafex in cover. Everything else gets ready for turn 2 charge.
    Shooting: First let me say that the Shokk Attack gun rules are amazing. My opponents opens with ineffective shooting that puts one wound on two separate ripper bases(different squads firing with different line of sight.) and a wound on the dakkafex. I deployed pretty far back so two squads of Kans were out of range.

Now the first Mekk rolled double for the strength of the shokk attack gun and was instantly sucked into the warp to hang out with demons. The second ALSO rolled doubles and the blast was moved to the nearest unit of hormagaunts…he rolled a hit and three hormagaunts are wiped off of the board. 8X

Assault: The boyz from truk 5 roll 5” to assault my dakkafex in cover and are a half inch short. Sucks for them.

Turn 2~Tyranids~
    Movement: My units shuffle around to get better shooting positions. I continue to shift to my right flank and set up my hormaguants and stealers to charge the two units of trukless boyz.
    Shooting: Grendel showers the truk 5 boyz with living ammunition an kills 7.
    Ymir blows up truk 4 and I roll zero wounds on the boyz…needing 5’s with 12 dice. They exit un-entangled and undamaged.
    The dakkafex kills 5 boyz from truk 6.
    Zoanthropes take pot shots at Kans and do no damage.
    Sniper 2 destroys both buggies in squad 3
    Sniper one drops a template on boyz 6 and kills 7…the break and flee off the board.

Assault: Stealers 3 assaults what is left of truk 5’s boys and clears their kill zone…the boyz flee and are run down by the hungry bugs.
    Horma 1 assaults the boyz from truk 4 and combat is tied at 3 kills each. A bit disappointing.

Turn 2~Orks~ Where things get brutal.
    Movement: Everything moves forward yet again. Truks 2+3 disembark and prepare to charge. The once stunned/weaponless buggies try to screen stealer brood 3 to keep them from reaching the horma/boy combat next turn.
    Shooting: Once again, ork shooting is abysmal. Two ripper bases are cleared of the board along with one wound being inflicted to Grendels guard and two more wound placed on my dakkafex.
    The remaining mekk tries to target my genestealers and fails his target priority, he must shoot the rippers. He then rolls doubles AGAIN and is launched into base contact with the rippers as though he charged them. WOW!
    Assault: Two truks of boyz charge into my rippers, Grendel and a zoanthrope. Grendel and the guard kill five boyz and the zoanthrope kills 2 more…score. The rippers are decimated down to one base and a PK kills Grendel’s guard and puts a wound on the Tyrant. The boyz then consolidate into my other two zoanthropes and the other hormagaunt brood. He is pretty liberal with his movement but I don’t say anything.
    My other hormagaunts then fail to wound a single ork in their combat and are butchered down to one gaunt who manages to flee the combat…not having synapse just saved me sixty VPs.

Turn 3~Tyranids~ Lots of blood has been spilled in 3 turns…Hurray for two CC armies.
    Movement: I continue to shift to my right…keeping sniperfex 1 out of charge range of his last truk of boyz.
    Shooting: Sniper one manages to completely miss his last full truk.
    Sniper 2 immobalizes a Kan from Kan 3.
    Ymir peels a rokkit off of a Kan from Kan 2 and immobilizes another.
    Dakkafex destroys an empty truk
    Everything else is in combat.
    Assault: A unit of stealers and 2 raveners line up a charge on the boyz that just slaughtered my hormagaunts They clear the kill zones and the orkz pile in.
    I charge one ravener and a stealer squad into the existing combat. The orks manage to kill three hormagaunts but are killed down to the mekk that was teleported in and one nob who fails to wound Grendel. The nob flees and is run down while the Mekk stays put. I consolidate in so that my Hormagaunts surround him and free the rest of my units from the combat.

Turn 3~Orks~
    Movement: He drops his last available boyz in front of a zoanthrope and ravevner.
    He also uses his two weaponless buggies to block sniperfex 2’s line of sight. He is a very experienced player and uses the old buggies and truks that only sit about an inch off of the ground yet still count as size 3. Anyway, I did not realize this and failed to move my carnifex around them on my turn so kudos to him.
    Everything else shuffles around.
    Shooting: He manages to kill the dakkafex and put a wound on one of the snipers.
    Assault: He charges his boyz into the zoanthrope and ravener. The ravener manages to kill 2 boyz before being chopped to bits and the thrope kills one more. The PK only wound the thrope once and I make the Invuln save…some of those ones I was talking about.
    Meanwhile the stealers and raveners finish snacking on the other boyz and are free for next turn and the hormagaunts make short work of his Mekk.

Turn 4~Tyrnids~
    Movement: I bring a stealer brood around to charge the boyz surrounding my Zoanthrope and position everything else to fire around all of his wrecks.

Shooting: My two free Thropes Decimate two Kans with concentrated warp blasts.
    My one sniperfex is reduced to destroying one already mangled buggie and stunning another while the other sniper combines with Grendel to destroy the other two functional buggies.
    Ymir peels a CC weapon off of one Kan from group 3.

Assault: The stealers and two raveners from before charge into the Kans from group 3 and do not manage a singe rend off of 16 hits. For their effort both of the Raveners and two stealers are turned into paste. The remaining stealers actually flee from the fight and consolidate in synapse range.
    The other combat does not go any better as the charging stealers and remaining thrope only kill 5 boyz and suffer 3 casualties…just from the boyz. The nob finally manages to wound the zoanthrope, though I make one more invuln. The boyz lose combat however, and are run down once again.

Turn 4~Orks~
    Movement: A bit more shuffling and movement of truks to block my LOS.
    Shooting: Two of the stealers that just fled from the Kans eat rokkits from the victors.
    One more wound is put on Grendel and two hormagaunts drop from truk mounted big shootas. At this point he is just trying to get a few point out of my injured broods.
    Assault: Nada.

Turn 5~Tyranids~
    After I retreated my remaining stealers and hormagaunts behind cover I opened up once again with my Monstrous Creatures and zoanthropes. After the dust settles he only has one truk and 2 Kans left on the board. At this point he concedes.

We did not bother counting points but it looked at least like a solid victory at that point with another turn to go.
    I killed:
    Both HQs…well one just kinda disappeared.
    All of his boyz and their truks besides one.
    7 Killer Kans
    6 buggies
    He Killed:
    One Dakka fex
    3 raveners
    And receives half points for:
    2 hormagaunt broods
    2 genestealer broods
    Grendel + the guard
    8 Ripper swarms

Notable Items:
    One Stealer brood of mine never even saw combat, or moved from behind the building for that matter. They stayed ready to counter attack but were never needed.
    Both of his HQs basically gave me their VPs. They cost less that 200 points together and have the ability to do a lot of damage. In my opponents next game vs. chaos I watched them destroy a Land Raider, and kill about 200 points worth of chaos marines in 4 turns.
    The refused flank is the way to go vs. orks. I also deployed 2or3 inches back from my line and this gave him a 2nd turn charge on my terms. AKA into rippers.
    Hormagaunts are awful against the new orks. I get 3 attacks on the charge needing 4s to hit and 5s to wound. He gets 3 attacks back needing 4s to hit and 4s to wound and then gets his Nob. Its even worse when he charges me!

My MVP would have to go to the rippers. They sucked a charge from two truks, ate heavy shoota and rokkit fire and only gave the opponent 40 vps. Just Awsome.

Ymir called the rippers forth to feast on this new foe as the last of the enemies engines came to a hiccupping stop. In their short time on this planet this small brood has never encountered such fearsome and savage prey. The green skin’s movements were unpredictable and their resilience was impressive but to fight the hive collective in defense of their nesting grounds was to throw themselves to their deaths. None of the hives previous patrols had encountered this prey before and Ymir and Grendel were already working together to formulate plans of attack for their future meetings.

Last edited by Sniperfex215; February 29th, 2008 at 04:29.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice report.

That is an interesting Ork List. My buddy has New orks and I seen them at a tourny. That is a really low ork count list. I would never expect to see less than 120 orks at 1750, even with a lot of add ones. I do not like GS against the new orks prefering to go with +str guants and CC warriors. Though your GS did well against the small truck units, they have performed badly when the orks are in there 30 man blocks. Look to replace your Homoguants with some Warriors with the vital upgrades so they hit and wound on 3+ and get lots of attacks each. a small unit will leave nothing left in base to base for him to attack, think 3-4 man unit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x4)

Cool report, fun to read. A couple of things stuck out for me, though.

"My opponents opens with ineffective shooting that puts one wound on two separate ripper bases(different squads firing with different line of sight.)"
    Shouldn't all wounds go on to one ripper swarm, regardless of who is shooting from what LOS?

"He also uses his two weaponless buggies to block sniperfex 2’s line of sight. He is a very experienced player and uses the old buggies and truks that only sit about an inch off of the ground yet still count as size 3."
    Unless you're in CC or area terrain, size doesn't matter for LOS.

EDIT: Welcome aboard!
    Put the box on the table by the window in the kitchen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

The general atmosphere at the store I play at is that we always play with 'take all comers' lists. We almost never edit a list based on who were are facing that perticular night.

Both my opponent and I agree that the large blocks of orks are probably the most effective ork boy unit. However, he does not own enough orks to field them nor does he want to have to deal with over one hundred models. His other army is gun line IG that takes forever to deploy. I have watched his boyz masacre two marine forces since our encounter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Nice batrep!

Wow! This is the second new user I've seen today that has made a great contribution. Welcome to LO.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Welcome to LO and thanks for posting this bat rep. I play Orks just about every week against a similar list (trukks and buggies with a Big Mek SAG) also using the old trukk and buggy models so it was interesting to see similar tactics being used.
    It sounds like a couple of rules were followed incorrectly though, or perhaps they are in house rules?
    Turn 1 Ork Shooting - did you have two ripper swarms? Otherwise wounds are allocated to whole models (regardless of range/los)
    Turn 3 Tyranid Assault - if the Nob was in the same combat as the Mek he could not have been run down, but he would have fled off the table with no chance to consolidate
    Turn 3 Ork Movement - vehicles do not cound as Size X, you use model's eye view. This makes being up high somewhat more strategic.

I'm also surprised he didn't Waagh. And I wish my Ork skumgrod's SAG would roll so many doubles, or even any doubles.
    War Record Since Sept 2005
    Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
    New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar

+ Reply to Thread