Kill Team: Vespid vs Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Kill Team: Vespid vs Tau

I have read that a Vespid K-T is considered as a powergamer's K-T and that such teams can spoil the fun of creating a rag-tag bunch of elite commandos. The idea of K-T is to have fun as well, so taking an Uber powerful one can destroy the enjoyment for all concerned. So, being the kind-hearted, beneficent guy I am, I decided "stuff it, I'm taking the Vespid Strain Leader, 8 of his mates and giving them silencers". Aren't I kind.

Now then: this game was going to be played between two Tau armies. 'Ooooh, no way Jose" I hear you say. Well, my friend and I have been promising ourselves a battle royal between our two Tau armies; I am a Farsight player and my friend has decided that he will be one of the Septs which has been sent in pursuit of Farsight. "But Farsight doesn't get Vespid!", I hear you cry. True, but my Farsight army is an offshoot of the main Farsight force, and the commander is a little...errm.....radical, so if he wants Vespid he takes Vespid! So that's why I was up against Gun Drones brute squads.

Ok, so there's the iffy fluff out of the way! Now then: the mission was Escape, with the underlying story being that the Vespid had to reach the other side of the table, activate their "grav chutes" and jump off to safety - in other words, fly off!!

Here's a picture of the Battlefield on Turn One, as set up by my mate JG, with his drones' final positions in relation to my Vespids' "move on + Fleet of Wing" move.

This game was to prove to be one of the quickest I have ever experienced. JG just could not win the Brute Squad control rolls. As a result, the Drones were kept pretty much towards the centre/right side of his table side, leaving the Vespid to do a mad dash for safety straight across the table towards his left corner. It took 3 minutes flat. No shots fired, therefore no possibility of gaining Klaxon Counters. No chance of coming within Spotting Distance except with a very big telescope....we just fell about laughing because it had been so ludicrously easy.

We decided to play a second game, with me coming on from the middle of the table edge this time. We had seen just how fast the Vespid could shift, so JG changed his Boss gear to "Las-Traps". Unfortunately there were gaps left which allowed my Vespid to avoid them without problem . However, JG's command of the Brute Squad rolls was measurably better this time and with my starting centre-edge rather than corner edge like last time, I thought that a little bit of shooting might be in order. After all, the Vespid had spent time and effort cleaning and polishing their silencers so it was only fair that they got a chance to use them.

One unlucky GD Brute Squad got the full brunt of a Delta Force standard of shooting: I rolled 2 sixes, 3 fives and 4 fours to hit. JG just looked at the dice in disbelief. 6 wounding hits later and the Vespid were on their way, having managed to execute the firing without drawing attention to themselves. Unfortunately though, the silencers are only permitted to be used once, so any further shooting would cause Klaxon Counters to be issued.

Well, something must have gotten into the dice, because JG started to roll well for Brute Squad control, and managed to get a bit closer with several squads. Oh well, the Strain Leader was well up for another round of shooting and Delta Force proceeded to perform equally impressively in their second show of shooting. Yet another GD Brute Squad joined the Great Gun Drone unit in the sky. The board edge - I mean, cliff edge - was in sight, but by now JG had amassed a whole two Klaxon Counters and was able to beat my rolls pretty easily. So one of his Brute Squads managed to tag my boys, kill one with gunfire and then lock the unit in combat. This was not good, me thought. As it happened though, the Vespid handled themselves admirably and smacked a GD down in return for losing one of their own.

Fortunately for the gang, the other Brute Squads were too far away still to be able to contribute to the big fight and so the two GDs were walloped to the floor by the Lads. As it was now the Vespid's final turn and they were no longer in CC, all 42 eyes turned towards the cliff. Yes, it was in range of a quick flight.

Vespid win again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Afterthoughts.

Although it was nice to win, and the first game in particular was just pure farce, I can see where some folks might just get a little hot under the collar about a Vespid team being taken for K-T. They are immensely fast and their weapons are MEq-killers. We discussed the differences there would be when taking on Space Marine Brute Squads, but really it all would boil down to the rolls for the control of the brute squads as to whether the Vespid would have a problem or not. Their speed over the ground was phenomenal: my initial arrival move in Game One was 15", my second was 13", the third was another 15" jump into Area Terrain, which produced two 'failed' Dangerous Terrain tests out of 9 dice rolled - both of which were saved by the Skilled Fliers rule - and the fourth was "Tally-ho chaps" off the edge of the table. It was really rather a pointless game in a way, but certainly produced mirth!

I reckoned that the second game would probably go pretty much the same way, so I tried to change that by coming on from the centre, but even though JG positioned his Brute Squads in more commanding positions and also added in the Las-Traps, the agility and speed of the Vespid was just too good again. I could have made it across yet once more without firing a shot, but I thought that that would have been wrong to do. Apart from that, I wanted to see what difference having Klaxon Counters involved would make. That was indeed an eye-opener; the Brute Squads were much harder to keep at bay and showed me that guile and stealth rather than gung-ho "all-gunz-blazin'" is most assuredly the way to go.

However, winning and so on is all very well, but I have to agree very much with the guys from ATT who made the original comments I posted in paragraph one: the Vespid are an extremely powerful K-T and could well be construed as a powergamer's choice by some people. The fluffier K-Ts whose component combatants you make up histories for would be much more fun.

I don't care. I won!!! Yay for me! 8X

E.

"Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Nice win, even though you were an awfully mean guy. :C

I've never really enjoyed Kill Teams, to be honest. Combat wins everything; it's a very boring way to play, at least it has been for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Do you play where flying adds a klaxon counter?

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

No, we didn't. It's perhaps something we overlooked, but at the same time the wings are a natural part of the Vespid so no doubt they would know how not to make too much noise with them!

Actually, you raise a good point. I must check the fluffy bit in the Codex about them to see if it mentions anything about sound.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Yeah, the klaxon may be needed for game balance. I would imagine in is not neccessarily the buzzing wings but maybe they are easier to see visually. Tho they do reroll dangerous terrain rolls for moving THRU the forest.

+ Reply to Thread