5/17 - Gastonia 2k RTT battle reports - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

5/17 - Gastonia 2k RTT battle reports

Well, a group of us from Atlanta went out and hit up another tournament. This one was in Gastonia, NC - about a 3 hour drive, but there were 5 of us going, so the time passed pretty quickly. Unfortunately, there were only 10 people at the tournament..... We compromised a full half of the participants. Kinda disappointing. On the bright side, 3 of us were playing with lists we've never really used before, so if/when we got paired up, it would hopefully be a new match-up if not a new opponent.

I decided to try out lash chaos and see how it would work. I've fought against it once, but I hadn't really used it before (only had time for 1 practice game, and that against it's weakness - Eldar). The concept seemed simple enough, though... and wouldn't you know, two days before the tournament was to take place, an FAQ came out saying "Yes, lash really is that broken". I had mixed feelings about that, as sure I was going to be playing Chaos in this tournament, but Chaos isn't really my primary army. Necrons are my primary, and GW's ruling on Lash really doesn't do Necrons any favors. Oh well, I'll try to deal with that with the 'crons when it comes!

So I've got my Chaos force, of which I'm borrowing some models from a friend to complete (my old Chaos was alpha legion, and the new basic CSM kinda suck)... So half of the army is painted pretty well, the other half hurts my eyes to look at. :p

What I used was the following...

HQ:
    - Daemon Prince, MoS, LoS, Wings
    - Chaos Sorceror, MoS, LoS, Wings

Elites:
    - 9 Chosen, Champ, 4 Power Fists, Icon of Khorne (not the best use of points, but extremely amusing with 17 PF attacks on the charge)

Troops:
    - 7 Plague Marines, 2 Plasma Guns, Champ w/ Fist, Rhino

Heavy Support:
    - 3 Oblits
    - 3 Oblits
    - 2 Oblits

So basically a double-lash plasma cannon spam with durable troops who can fight if it comes down to it... and then one infiltrating khorne chosen squad who can really fight.

The people we came with were using the following:
    - Flying circus eldar (tri-holofalcon, tri-harlequins, eldrad, avatar, 2xdires with bladestorm, 7 warp spiders - very good list)
    - Mechanized eldar (eldrad, autarch, holofalcon, vibro cannons, wraithlord, 8 harlequins, 2xdires with bladestorm in serpents, pathfinders, vyper w/BL)
    - Drop pod marines (double-fear/fury terminator libbies with 2 ass can retinues, 3 hvy flamer / AC dreads, 4x7 man tac squads with 2 plasma guns & fisty srg's)
    - Khorne Daemons (4 heralds with icon on chariots, 3x2(?) blood crushers, 6x6-8? bloodletters, 3x?flesh hounds, 3xDaemon princes)
    --- Not sure on exact numbers, nor some of the gifts given... but everything was given Mark of Khorne. Basically, lots and lots of power weapons.

The tables at this place are really random. The first time we came up here, they had almost no terrain on anything. The 2nd, there was a good & proper amount. Not too little, not too much. This time, there was almost more terrain than not on the boards. They were literally overflowing with terrain, and all of it size 3 area. There were almost no firing lines, and every one had a huge piece right in the middle of the board. And by huge, I mean around 24-30" wide and 12-18" deep. Oh well, at least I'm not playing a complete stand and shoot army, I can fight okay.

The missions all had a Primary (15 pts), Secondary (10 pts), and Tertiary (5 pts) objective, with bonus points along the following:
    - 1 pt for killing opponent's general
    - 4 pts for killing opponent's general with yours in HtH (cumulative with the above point)
    - 2 pts for killing any 2 opponent troop choices

Then the first mission (and the first mission only) had bonus points depending on the level of victory:
    - 1 pt for 1-199 vp difference
    - 2 pts for 200-1000 vp difference
    - 3 pts for 1001+ vp difference

So the first mission had a possible 40 bp's while the rest had 37 max.

Round 1:
    Opponent - Chaos Space Marines

Another chaos player, he was using (to the best of my recollection, may not have all the upgrades listed correctly)...

HQ:
    - Chaos Sorceror, MoS, LoS, terminator armor
    - Chaos Lord, MoS, Bliss Giver, Bike
    - Greater Daemon

Elites:
    - 5 Terminators, MoS, 1 Reaper Autocannon, 1 power fist, 1 chain fist?
    - 5 Terminators, MoN, 1 Reaper Autocannon, 1 power fist, 1 chain fist?

Troops:
    - 7 Plague Marines, 2 plasma guns, champion with...?, in a rhino
    - 6 or 7 Noise Marines, all with sonic blasters except for 1 blast master, champion with power weapon, in a rhino

Heavy:
    - 2 Oblits
    - 1 Oblit
    - Pred with TLLC turret, HB sponsons

FA:
    - 5 Bikers, MoN, Power fist champ, not sure of any weapon upgrades

Mission...
    Primary: Destroy all opponents Heavy Support (both players could achieve this)
    Secondary: Most scoring units with a model within 6" of the center of the board
    Tertiary: Table Quarters

Scenario rules:
    No infiltration.
    Funky escalation where you only start with 1 HQ and all your heavies on the board to start. Any reserve roll of a natural "6" means you could come on from any table edge.

Assessment:
    Well, I was pretty confident I could win this one. I had more oblits than he did, and his tank wouldn't stand up to my fire for long. Pretty sure I could keep him from killing mine, too. The only thing that concerned me was whether he would just try to hide his 1-man oblit from me to prevent me from getting points. As for the secondary and tertiary, I was pretty sure I could get secondary with twin-lash vs. one lash, and tertiary would depend on how the game played out in terms of who had what left.

Board:
    See above comment - lots and lots of terrain, huge piece in the center.

Deployment:
    I put all three oblit squads behind a piece of terrain (surprise! heh) near the center of the board, kinda sticking together so I can focus fire. He puts his one man oblit squad opposite me, then the pred and 2 man oblit squad on my left flank. He puts his sorc with the 1 man oblit squad and I put my sorc with the oblits.

He wins the first turn and takes it (not sure why? I had nothing to shoot at in the first turn, and now I get to react to his reserves instead of the other way around).

His Turn 1:
    He sits behind cover and does nothing.

My Turn 1:
    I'm able to move my oblits over and get line of sight to the 2-man oblit squad with 2 of my guys and manage to snipe one.

His Turn 2:
    For reserves, he gets both terminators, the plague marines, and the bikers - none with a 6, though. The lord, noise marines, and the GD don't come in... lucky that, about the GD, since the only eligible model to start on turn 2 was his sorc. Would have been rough to lose him to a GD, especially way in the backfield.

Anyway, he moves his 1-of-2 man oblit shuffles to the side, moves his pred into terrain for obscurement, and the 1 man oblit moves forward. I'm concerned that he's going to try and just move him away from me and block the points, so I start hoping for a reserves 6 with a unit of mine to counter it. The bikes and plague marines move up behind the big terrain piece (the plague marines disembarking from the rhino). Terminators both DS on his half of the board on the right flank supporting his sorc and oblit.

His shooting kills an oblit of mine.

My Turn 2:

I get 2 plagues, one with a "6", and the khorne unit. Daemon prince and third plague don't come in. The plagues that got a "6" come on right near both the sorc and the 1 man oblit squad. My oblits shuffle to the left to try to draw sight on his 1-of-2 man oblit but get abyssmal terrain rolls (1, 2, and 2 respectively) so they can't see. The khorne squad had walked on in the midst of my oblit brick to counter the bikers if they came forward. My lasher hangs back for now. The plague marines that didn't get a 6 come in on the left-half of the center going forward 12" and popping smoke... preparing to go another 12", disembark, and rapid-fire plasma on the 1-of-2 man oblit if their rhino doesn't get killed.

Shooting presents very tempting targets on his DS-formation terminators, but they aren't the primary objective so I ignore them and kill the 1-man oblit squad, leaving the plagues free to assault the sorc, and the rest of the oblits fail to hurt the pred. I assault the sorc, who goes first with his force weapon and 4 attacks, needing 4's and then 5's to hurt me and kills 3! He gets fisted in return, though, and I massacre into one squad of term's, hoping to bring them below scoring before I'm killed by all the power weapon / fist attacks.

His Turn 3:

GD possesses the plague champ, biker lord comes in, noise marines hang back a bit. Nurgle bikers come forward some, staying out of my assault range but now in line of sight. His plagues advance a bit towards the center. His biker lord moves up to support the last oblit. Shooting kills 2 of my oblits and 2 of my chosen squad. He kills 2 of my plague marines and makes both 5+ invul's from my power fist attacks back. I don't take any more casaulties from No Retreat.

My Turn 3:

The daemon prince hangs back, but the third plagues also get a "6". His pred hadn't moved, so I walk on behind that and prepare to fist it in the back. The plagues on the left zoom forward 12" and disembark in cover preparing to shoot the last oblit. My oblits shuffle over to the left a bit more. The lash sorceror moves to get in sight of the nurgle bikers, with the khorne squad moving forward eagerly awaiting their prey.

Lash moves the bikers only 3" (needed 5" to get them into assault range)... so I bunch them up and plasma cannon them to death with one oblit squad (god, that's sick). The other oblit squad had only the pred to shoot at because of some poor planning on my part. They killed it, leaving the new plagues coming in off his back edge with nothing to do. The plagues from before rapid fire and kill the last oblit. Primary achieved.

He's still got 2 units (his plagues and the GD) near the center of the board, though - with no real mobile units of mine nearby, so I'm going to have to work for that one. The plagues in assault with the term's get killed by pfists, but my pfist gets to swing, too... 3 wounds! All three invul saves made, though.

His Turn 4:

His biker lord moves to assault my plagues, which I don't think will go well for him. His noise marines show up and move on next to my plagues that had prepared to kill the pred. He comes on literally right next to me, which I also think won't go well for him. His GD moves towards my plagues, too, as do his plague marines - away from the center of the board. Good, especially since they're not going to be in assault range, either - just the lord. His term's start coming forward.

He shoots at my plagues and kills 2 with noise marines. His plagues shoot my center ones and kill 1 with plasma. He kills another 2 from the khorne squad with term's and havoc launchers on a rhino.

He assaults the center plagues with the chaos lord and the others with the noise marines. The noise marines kill 2 with a PWeapon (needing 4's and then 5's with 3 attacks), and I kill only 1 back in return. Not really average, but we're both fearless and I pass my no retreat wound. His Lord rolls a 3 with his attacks and kills 2 (he needed 3's and then 5's). My fist swings back and he makes his 5+ invul vs. instant death and we pile in.

Rest of game summary:
    The rest of the game was basic clean-up. My prince finally came on. To prevent terminators from reaching the objective, I lashed them into circles and plasma cannoned them to death. The plagues in combat with the noise marines killed them all, but only after becoming non-scoring. The lord killed off all the plagues after making 4 of 4 5+ invul's vs. power fists. I lashed his GD away from the center objective. I lashed his plague marines out of the center objective and plasma cannoned them to death. The daemon prince took the center, and I was in 3 quarters to his 1.

I ended up with a 39 of 40 points (I won by 600, and not the 1001+ required for the highest vp total).

So after the first round, I was in first place and felt pretty good about the army. I made a few mistakes here and there, especially with blocking my line of sight with a rhino twice (ugh, noob mistake), but nothing that really affected the outcome of the game. My list was more optimized than my opponent's, especially with two mobile lashes instead of just one.

The bad news, though: the other 4 players I travelled with won their games, too. The organizer was cool and gave us all local players in the first round, but now we'd all be playing each other as all of us won our games. Even worse, the person who got the second highest point win was flying circus eldar. Bad news, since eldar tend to prey on lash chaos in general, and the guy I would be playing, despite us liking to tease him about being able to lose with anything, is a good player.

Round 2:
    Opponent - Flying Circus Eldar

A strong eldar list by a good player, but the mission was good for me (to go for a draw, anyway).

HQ:
    - Eldrad

Elites:
    - 6 Harlequins with a shadow seer, all rending

Troops:
    - 10 Dire Avengers with exarch, dual shuriken catapult, bladestorm
    - 10 Dire Avengers with exarch, dual shuriken catapult, bladestorm

Heavy:
    - Falcon, Scatter Laser & Catapult (may have only had a cannon + catapult, dunno), spirit stones, holofields, vectored & star engines
    - Falcon, Scatter Laser & Catapult (may have only had a cannon + catapult, dunno), spirit stones, holofields, vectored & star engines

FA:
    - 7 Warp Spiders, exarch with withdraw and surprise assault.

Mission...
    Primary: Destroy most expensive FA choice (most expensive Elite choice if no FA)
    Secondary: Secure the Center
    Tertiary: Destroy all opponent's troops

Scenario rules:
    No infiltration.
    Funky escalation where you only start with just your Troops and FA. You could attach characters to your troops if you wanted to.
    Deep Strike.

Assessment:
    Unfortunately, you can't lash holofalcons :p And lash in general is dangerous with Eldrad and his Runes of Warding. Only succeed half of the time, taking a perils the other half. And I knew there was absolutely no way to get the secondary, as the holo-falcons will control that one all day long... tank shocking me off of the objective if I was there. I was confident I could get the primary, though... and pretty sure I could get the tertiary, too, if he didn't play the hide and seek game (I'd be too busy chasing the spiders to get those guys, too). I felt confident I could keep plague marines alive, as with blight grenades, they're not a great target for harlequins. Wasn't sure about keeping the chosen alive (I have no FA), would depend on when they came in.

Board:
    Just like the last one - lots and lots of terrain, huge piece in the center.

Deployment:
    It was an "L" shaped deployment with 15" in. No rule about needing to be more than 24" away, either. I won the roll and gave him the side with the least terrain to hide behind. I put my plague rhino's as far forward as possible, he did the same with his dire avengers. He put his warp spiders near his back corner. He gave me the DA's to kill to distract me from the spiders, I think.. which was fine, as I was planning on going after them with DS'ing oblits anyway. I then put my sorceror in a plague squad that started outside of its rhino. He had already put down his spiders and didn't think to put eldrad with the DA's. In response, he used "Divination" to redeploy eldrad out of reserves and join a DA squad. I kinda thought that was a little BS, but I didn't really argue the point... I figured I'd have a shot to kill him / get him to break which I normally wouldn't if he started in reserves.

He won the roll to go first and gave it to me. He wanted to have as many turns as possible after my chosen squad came on to go after them.

My Turn 1:
    My sorc left the plagues and jumped into terrain to try his luck at lashing eldrad's squad forward. I zoomed the rhino's forward 12" and disembarked the two plagues that started in the rhino. I embarked with the third plague squad and attempted to go through terrain and immobilized myself.

Shooting saw 8 of the DA's in eldrad's squad die, but he passed his morale check (I was hoping for a failure, so that he'd be unable to rally!). I had tried to lash them, too, but took a perils for my trouble.

His Turn 1:
    Spiders stayed hidden... they were in a great spot, on a board edge kinda clustered around a little lip in the terrain... so it'd be hard to get sight on them. And they weren't clustered enough so that a plasma cannon would wipe them out.

Eldrad fortuned himself, doomed a plague squad, and guided the full DA squad. Eldrad left the DA's and both he and them advanced on the closest plague unit. He bladestormed with both DA's. The first one caused 3 wounds (the exarch and one guy) and I failed 2 saves & FNP's. The second squad caused 9 wounds and torrent of fired my fisty-champ successfully (huh?), but none of the other wounds got through the armor + FNP. Eldrad and the 2-man dires charged. Combat was a draw with 1 plague and 1 DA dying. There were 3 plagues left, eldrad, and 1 dire avenger.

My Turn 2:
    All three oblits came in, but not the Chosen or the Prince. The oblits basically were going to sacrifice themselves by DS'ing near the warp spiders to try and kill them, knowing the harlequins / avatar would walk on the board and wipe them out shortly thereafter. First one tried to land in the terrain near them and scattered deeper into the terrain (more than 6" away). The second one tried to land outside the terrain and scattered such that they had no sight because of said terrain. My last hope was the third oblit squad who got a direct hit (yay!) in sight of them, about 8" away.

The plague squad in the immoblized rhino disembarked and tried to go counter assault the DA / Eldrad fight, but rolled a 3 for terrain and were going to fall short. This meant that the other plagues were going to have to join the fight instead of going after the unharmed DA's. The sorc would also join the fight to finish the DA and let everyone swing on Eldrad, also add more weight for outnumber wounds if it came to it.

Shooting saw the oblits who could see the warp spiders kill 6 of 7. Best I could hope for - now he'll be checking morale and then Last Man Standing. The other oblits could see the full dire squad and shot there. Between them and the rhino's, the DA's were reduced to just the exarch. I counter assaulted eldrad and the DA and surprisingly killed him outright. He rolled really bad with his fortuned 3+ invul and just died. Huh.

He passed both morale checks.

His Turn 2:
    He passed both LMS tests. Two harlequins squads and the Avatar also came on, along with 1 falcon. One harlequin squad and two falcons were still in reserve. He moved a falcon up to the last spider intending to embark and say "ha-ha, you can't kill me" before he remembered they couldn't embark. Would have worked for the DA exarch, though, and saved the tertiary. He (DA exarch) went to go hide behind terrain but didn't make it.

The two 3-man oblit teams each got assaulted by a harlequin squad while the 2-man team got assaulted by the Avatar... who was also now within 12" of the spider, and so he wouldn't need LMS tests anymore. Doh! The avatar killed one oblit and took no wounds in return. One harlequin team rended an oblit squad to death. The other got only 1 rend, which I made my invul against... then caused 12 regular wounds and I got six 1's to lose them all. Doh! I was now quite concerned by achieving the primary.

My Turn 3:
    Neither the prince nor khorne squad came in. Heh, I started hoping that the khorne squad didn't come in until 5/6 and could survive. It would be a long shot, though. I really didn't have much to do. I kinda just started castling my plagues together for support, hid the sorc back behind terrain, and finished off the DA for the tertiary. The Avatar finished off the oblit.

His Turn 3:
    He got in the rest of his reserves. He started advancing on me, loading up the harlequins in the falcons all. His Avatar advanced towards the center, too, intent on more destruction. And to my great pleasure and his big mistake of the game: the warp spider followed him, staying in his fearless bubble. Not only that, but very close to him, too (and not too far away from me).

Shooting killed off the wounded plague marine squad from pulse lasers.

My Turn 4:
    Khorne squad showed up. The khorne squad had a choice: try to stick by the plagues and their rhino's to hide from assault. With the star engines, I figured there was nowhere I could go to get away from his assault, not when he'll have 3 more turns, so I elected to stay near my main forces. A rhino moved over to get near the khorne squad and try to block movement lanes. The other non-immobilized rhino moved 6" through terrain and was still inside it after moving. Sorc stayed hidden.

I had no real shooting other than a pair of plasma guns in a plague squad at a falcon - doing no damage other than killing a plague marine.

His Turn 4:
    He moves into position with falcons to disembark to assault my khorne squad with two harlequin squads next turn. He lined them up in such a way that I wouldn't be able to block both falcons' access points, either... with the butt of one lined up against the side of the other. This way, even if I could block the exposed rear of one, he could just move that one and then unload the other into the now vacated falcon's space. This isn't his first rodeo, heh. :p It was, unfortunately, a good move else I could have tried blocking one with a rhino and the other with the prince that had yet to come on the board.

My Turn 5:
    My Prince finally shows his face to try and claim the primary. The prince flew on the board edge and the sorc moved over, too, both getting as close as they could to the warp spider... and I was confident they were both within 24" of him. A plague squad got in a rhino and tried to move out of terrain to go stay near the khorne squad, but I rolled a 1 and immoblized him. Hm, problem. Unfortunately, I was going to need two rhinos to do block assault lanes effectively... and I have immoblized 2 of my 3. Oh well, looks like we'll both get primary if I can lash successfull! So I try first with the prince and succeed (eldrad being dead helped bigtime for no more warding) and pull him 5" forward. The sorc then lashes him another 10"! Now in assault range of the sorc.

Shooting has 3 plasma guns shoot at a falcon, but does nothing. Assault sees the the sorc get the primary by killing the last spider.

His Turn 5:
    Goes as expected, harlequins disembark. One goes for the lash prince, one for the khorne squad. Avatar moves so that the sorc is the closest model and prepares to make him pay for killing the spider. Falcons move to shoot plagues. The third falcon (one with harlequins still) moves so that the clowns will be able to assault plagues on turn 6 to try and get the tertiary for killing all my troops.

Assault sees the prince and harlequins each do 2 wounds. The other clowns fight the khorne squad and wipe them out.

My Turn 6:
    Okay, so primary and tertiary achieved for me, primary and secondary for him... just comes down to whether or not I can keep him from getting the tertiary, too. A judge decides that he doesn't have to kill my rhinos to claim the tertiary, because they're not scoring (wtf? some normal troop choices aren't scoring, either, but oh well - that's what the judge says)... so it becomes a bit harder to acheive. I board one squad in my mobile rhino and move 12" away from things and pop smoke. The last one tries to board its immobilized rhino, or at least get away from the squad of clowns that killed the khorne squad (which is right now about 13" away from them). Difficult terrain roll: 1. Ugh, well, they move 1" away from the closest clowns and hope they roll a 1 for fleet.

Assault sees the prince die to harlequins.

His Turn 6:
    He moves harlequins and falcons around. He's got 2 falcons that can shoot at the smoking rhino (5 guys inside), with harlequins right near them to assault if it gets popped. One falcon and avatar can shoot at the other, with two harlequin squads closing in on it (full squad).

The harlequin squad that killed the khorne guys rolls a 1 (yay!), too... so their assault is very very questionable. He chooses to shoot at the squad they were approaching with the avatar and a falcon and kill 2 guys, so I remove the closest ones to the clowns and they are definitely now out of assault. One squad (of 4 guys) is still around there, though.

The first falcon to shoot at the smoking rhino gets two glances and rolls double-6's, heh.... so it's destroyed. One dies to disembarkation damage, but I disembark out of sight of the second falcon. I've got 6 clowns about to assault my 4 guys, though. At least I have blight grenades to lessen the attacks.

So now both plagues get charged by clowns. The 4 man by 6 clowns and the 5 man by 4 clowns. The 6 clowns get only 2 rends and do no other damage, I hit back and kill two... drawn combat, so tertiary is denied. For s**** & giggles, we do the other combat and the 4 clowns rend 7 times on 12 dice to wipe out the 5 man squad, heh.

End result was pretty much exactly as I expected:
    Primary - both
    Secondary - him
    Tertiary - me (though it was a lot closer for both of us to get it than I expected)

We both killed our opponent's general, but not with our general in HtH
    We both killed 2 troop choices

He got 28 to my 23, a draw in the grand scheme of things for points vs. each other, but really the points were equal to a win each.

So after two rounds, He had a 64 and I had a 62, with us remaining 1 and 2 (but our positions were now swapped). The two other ATL players who went against each other got draws, but not as high... something like 18 to 17 [primary for one, secondary & tertiary for the other]. And the last one, who played against one of the locals, got a middle draw, too (his opponent had no FA and his most expensive elite was the Death Company! He didn't get that for the primary, but got secondary & tertiary).

We weren't sure who was going to play who, but we were still the top 5 even after playing against each other in the second round... The 3rd and 4th players (who my previous opponent and I would split since 1 & 2 had already played) were the khorne daemons and the other eldar player. The khorne player wanted to fight me, and ditto back at him... It would be a tough game for both of us, but one that would be pretty fun. I just didn't want to play the other eldar player.. Anything but both eldar players while using lash chaos!

Round 3:
    Opponent - Mechanized Eldar

Ughhh. Why am I not playing my necrons again? :p

HQ:
    - Eldrad
    - Autarch with fusion gun, power weapon, banshee mask

Elites:
    - 8 Harlequins with a shadow seer & troop master, all rending
    - 6 Fire Dragons with exarch, not sure what powers he had

Troops:
    - 10 Dire Avengers with exarch, dual shuriken catapult, bladestorm, wave serpent with stones, eldar missile launcher, shuriken cannon, vectored engines
    - 10 Dire Avengers with exarch, dual shuriken catapult, bladestorm, wave serpent with stones, eldar missile launcher, shuriken cannon, vectored engines
    - 7 Pathfinders

Heavy:
    - Falcon, Scatter Laser & Shuriken Cannons, spirit stones, holofields, vectored engines (not sure about star engines)
    - Wraithlord, Bright Lance, and Missile Launcher
    - Support Platform with 2 vibro cannons

FA:
    - Vyper with Bright Lance and Shuriken Cannon, spirit stones

Mission...
    Primary: Victory Points. You can earn another 8 points if you table your opponent
    Secondary: Table Quarters
    Tertiary: Have a vehicle in your opponent's DZ.

Scenario rules:
    Infiltration, finally
    No escalation, finally
    Deep Strike.
    Dusk & Dawn.
    Prelim Bombardment (did nothing to either of us)

Assessment:
    More Runes of Warding, yuck. Well, at least this list is more balanced in terms of composition. My big concern is the 8 man harlequin squad. If I can funnel them into my plagues, I should be able to handle them. They won't be able to wipe out a squad on the charge, then I can counter assault and hopefully do enough wounds to really hurt them / maybe even make them break. Otherwise, nothing else is really standing out as a big threat to me.

Board:
    Just like the last one - lots and lots of terrain, huge piece in the center.

Deployment:
    I figure I need to brick up my plague marines and keep them together to be able to support each other, and so deploy them all up in the center of my DZ, right up against the edge of the huge center terrain piece. I put an oblit squad on each flank and keep the third in reserve for deep strike. The lashers sit behind the plagues. Now the sorc isn't as safe as normal, since the vibro cannons don't need sight to hit him... I'll have to rely on his armor to help him there.

He puts the falcon with fire dragons on the right flank. The vibro's go behind terrain in the middle, the vyper and both DA squads also go in the center opposite me on the other side of terrain. Eldrad goes in one and the Autarch goes in the other wave serpents. The harlequins go just left of center. The wraithlord just right of center. So it looks like a big showdown will be happening in the center terrain piece - fine with me, only problem will be the harlequins.

I infiltrate my khorne squad just more than 6" into the center terrain piece, a few inches ahead of my DZ. I hope to lure out his DA's with them... forcing them to get into the terrain piece to shoot me (cause I'm too far in otherwise), which will put them in potential assault range of my troops. His pathfinders go on the right flank.

Dusk & Dawn = First turn Night Fight.

He wins the roll to go first and takes it.

His Turn 1:
    He takes the bait and comes forward 12" with both of the wave serpents and dumps their loads into the terrain. This is perfect - they are now only around 10-11" away from my whole battle line. Even closer to my khorne chosen squad. Even better, he makes a huge mistake by putting the Autarch and Eldrad as the closest guys after disembarkation. This means I can assault them directly. Wraithlord moves up, as do the harlequins... but they're both still on the other side of the terrain, so no chance to shoot them at all.

He double bladestorms, but he makes another mistake by doing it in the wrong order.... he shoots the closest squad (who can see everyone) first and kills a few. He then shoots the further squad next and gets a lot of casualties... but is limited by the sight distance. I end up with 3 surviving, including a power fist. Unfortunately, I lost the champion and icon bearer, so they're no longer khornish. I pass my morale check.

I lose an oblit to an eldar missile launcher, but otherwise shooting doesn't do anything with night fight in effect.

My Turn 1:
    I jump on the chance to crush some dire avengers with my plague marines but roll no higher than a 4 on my three difficult terrain rolls. This means I'll need lash to go off. My chosen move to assault the autarch's squad, and line up in such a way that he's the closest model and the others are as far back as possible while maintaining coherency. Basically, I'll need a 3+ to assault the squad, but a 6 on the diff. terrain roll to touch anyone but the autarch. The daemon prince lands in terrain and wounds himself from it, but lands close to Eldrad. The sorc also jumps in terrain but doesn't hurt himself.

I then try to lash Eldrad's squad twice and take two perils, with the sorc getting hurt (prince didn't take a wound). Oh well, so much for that big assault, at least the prince can still take on Eldrad. Shooting sees one of the wave serpents lose both weapons and get immobilized (it had vectored, so it wasn't destroyed). Nothing else happens there.

The prince assaults eldrad and puts 2 wounds on him, one in return. Eldrad & co. pass their morale check. The Autarch swings first and kills one of the khorne squad. The fist then insta-kills him. The DA's pass their morale check.

His Turn 2:
    Eldrad does his powers: doom the daemon prince (why?), doom the plague marines (okay..?), and something else - can't remember... but he didn't fortune himself. Why, I don't know, but that's good for me as my daemon prince will be able to take him out.

Harlequins move forward to join the melee. He shuffles around his tanks some, fire dragons still hanging back inside the falcon. Wraithlord moves up to try and help out the DA's. Shooting kills an oblit. Vibro cannon causes 1 wound to the sorc and he fails his save (down to 1 remaining). Harlequins dual-charge a plague squad and put one guy on the nearby sorc. He puts one regular wound on the sorc (no rends) but he fails his save again and dies. He also rends 4 plagues. I kill one guy in return. He piles in, with us being fearless.

Daemon prince kills the non-fortuned Eldrad, but the DA's pass their morale check. The other DA squad fighting the chosen kill nothing and take one wound in return, but pass their morale check. The wraithlord was out of assault range.

My Turn 2:
    Okay, so other than losing the lash sorcerer (who would have been really handy now that Eldrad was dead), everything is going just as I hoped it would. His DA's were all locked in combats that they would lose, especially since my right-most plague squad was going to help out the chosen, and I had another plague squad free to counter assault the harlequins. I'm feeling pretty good.

My oblit squad in reserve fails to come in.

My rhinos are moving forward to go sit in his deployment zone for the tertiary. My plagues move to make their assaults.

Oblits fail to hurt any vehicles.

Plagues counter assault. The one assaulting the DA's fighting the chosen barely make it and can only touch one guy. The chosen kill one and he gets taken, so they don't get to fight... but I win the combat, he makes his morale again, though. I pile-in in such a way that the fisty-champ in the plague squad can't make it into base-to-base... so that he can attack the wraithlord when he joins the combat.

The other plagues launch a dual assault to charge harlequins and the dire avengers, making it one big combat. I do this to get the extra kills from the daemon prince involved in the fight, so I'm even that much more likely to win the combat. And hopefully get some outnumbering in there, too. The harlequins get 3 kills. The prince kills only 2 DA's, and the DA's put a wound back on the prince.. Uh? The DA's were pulled from base with the plagues, so the plagues all attack harlequins - which I wanted to do anyway. 1 plague marine is out of the combat. So I've got 2 non-charging plagues, and 4 charging plagues at the clowns. That's 16 attacks needing 4's and 3's... and do 2 wounds. He fails both saves and so we draw combat. Ugh, that's game there. That was my chance to take down the harlequins, or at least lower them to a point where they wouldn't be as combat effective, but I couldn't get it done.

He hit & runs but only goes 3". My charging plagues pile in in such a way that the smaller plague squad can't make it into the DA's with a pile-in, so they get a consolidation and lock up the harlequins for his turn.

His Turn 3:
    Fire Dragons come out and wipe out an oblit squad. The Wraithlord joins the big chosen / plague / DA combat. He kills 1, plague champ wounds him back. His DA's finally break and get away. Pile-ins keep the chosen squad from reaching the wraithlord and they are free. They consolidate towards the fire dragons.

The plague marines and daemon prince win combat, but those DA stick yet again (ugghh). The harlequins crush the two plagues that consolidated into them, and they roll a 6 for the massacre and join in on the DP / DA / plague fight.

My Turn 3:
    Oblits still don't come in. The chosen move to assault the fire dragons. Oblits shake the falcon. The two remaining chosen (one normal and one fist) assault the 6 fire dragons and are killed before they can swing. Wraithlord gets one hit but fails to wound, the plague champ whiffs.

Harlequins don't get many kills, so I'm able to win combat against the DA's, but both pass their morale check again. Harlequins H&R to re-charge.

His Turn 4:
    Broken DA's are within 6" of the prince and keep running. Wraithlord fails wraithsight check. Falcon goes to hide while shaken, but doesn't pick up the fire dragons first..? They just move sideways, with nothing to shoot considering everything around them is in combat. Harlequins re-charge, with 4 touching the 1-wound remaining prince and 1 touching the plagues.

He kills 1 plague and finishes off the prince. The plague champ kills 3 with his fist (finishing off the DA's), winning the combat single-handedly. He passes the morale check again with the harlequins. Plagues finish off the wraithlord. They prepare to go help out the other combat.

My Turn 4:
    Oblits finally drop, and land near the fire dragons. The plagues get a 1 for their difficult terrain roll and decide that they don't want to help out the other fight.

Oblits kill 5 of 6 fire dragons. Plagues rapid fire the broken DA squad and exchange 1 plasma gunner overheating to kill 1 dire avenger. Not a good trade, imo... especially because those DA's are now still exactly at half. The plagues fighting the clowns are killed.

The rest of the game is about clean-up. He fails to table me, I have one oblit left, I manage to keep 2 plagues alive when he sends the harlequins after the freshly dropped oblits instead of the rest of my troops. I get a rhino into his DZ. He forgets about the tertiary and doesn't put a skimmer in my DZ, but gets me on VP's handily (by about 700), and has 2 quarters to 1.

Result:
    Primary - Him
    Secondary - Him
    Tertiary - Me

We both get a couple of bonus points.

I was a bit disappointed with the result. I had a plan and playing out perfectly in the first few turns, but it just didn't work. :p Not sure what else I could have done, to be honest, with the way the dice fell. I had literally no chance to shoot at the harlequins before they were assaulting me with the huge terrain piece in the center (it was literally around 30"x16"). My opponent even made some significant mistakes that I was able to capitalize on in the first couple of turns, but it didn't seem to help much in the end. Hell, it was a huge melee combat starting on turn 1, which you would think favors Chaos, but I just couldn't follow through.

As a whole, the list worked amazingly in the first game when I could actually lash without runes of warding, then I got stuck up against the army that I knew would give me the most trouble for the remaining two games. It wasn't a really good test of the list, but with the popularity of Eldar in the tournament scene, I guess it's not that out of the norm. Though I was wishing hard for my Necrons in those last two games - they like to fight against Eldar. :p

The final results were:
    Flying Circus player won overall (he tabled the khorne daemon player)
    The above eldar army won best painted (it was gorgeous)
    I won best general (1 massacre, 1 very high draw, and 1 loss doesn't feel like best general!)
    One of the locals won best sportsman

I've got another tournament next week at Dicehead in Cleveland, TN. It's 1,850, and I'll most likely be playing my 'Crons. We'll see how that one goes! I'll try and post a batrep about that, too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was the opponent on the 2nd game there. It was an instructive lesson on paying attention to the objectives. At the end of the game, I had 3 fully operational Falcons, 3 above-half squads of Harlequins, and the Avatar, to his 2 plague marines (in combat with 'quins), 1 ok Rhino, and 1 immobilized Rhino... but the battle points were very close to each other.

Sending a Falcon over to pick up the DA exarch would have saved the Tertiary objective, and just castling both the Avatar and the last Warp Spider way in the back would have saved the primary too, and my closest competition at that point in the tournament would have ended up with 22 less battle points, getting none of the objectives and basically being skunked instead of ending up only 2 points away from me. It could have easily ended up giving him the tournament, as even though I got full points on round 3, I was significantly hurting in painting scores for the race for Overall. I basically gave up on the DA Exarch when he was out there alone facing down all that plasma, without even thinking about the fact that he accounted for 7 battle points. And nothing the Avatar could possibly have accomplished would be more useful than hiding the Spider somewhere out of sight and in a Fearless bubble, denying another 15 points. The Harlequins had the Primary objective in hand easily, the Falcons covered the secondary, and even the addition of the Avatar was not likely to get me the tertiary objective.

Luckily, the pairings were very favorable for me in the third round, and those mistakes didn't give away the top spot, but it could easily have ended up that way if I'd gotten the Eldar and moob got the Daemons. The moral of the story is always pay attention to the objectives, every round and every phase!

Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x5)

Great Bat Reps! You either took good notes or have a pretty impressive memory for detals.

Repped!
    "Is Archon Braigh-Dee going to have to choke a Wych?

Courtesy of Wicky: D.C.S.S.E.P.C.I.C.B.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Yeah, my only option if you hung back with the Avatar and the spider would have been to try and DS the Daemon Prince and try to get sight to lash you that way. Would have been much riskier.. Congrats on the tourney win, btw, if I didn't mention it before.

And thanks Psyan. Yeah, no notes... just going off of memory, but games just tend to stick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

No Necrons ?? . I could'nt read it through but I will do that tonight after school, thank you for giving everyone a little taste of they're own medicine! *walks off grumbling about two lash lists.*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

I've just started using lash myself (I was avoiding it in my chaos army as too silly). It is really disgustingly broken in some games, while in others it doesn't really do anything. As far as Eldar go, I have real issues with them with any of my chaos army lists.

+ Reply to Thread