Ambush Upon Arrival- Chaos vs. Chaos, Chaos vs. Daemons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

Ambush Upon Arrival- Chaos vs. Chaos, Chaos vs. Daemons

Within a valley of untold riches, Katherra Ska stood at the forefront of her small band. Mountains of treasures surrounded her. Rivers of wine flooded plains of white marble hills. Statues of once great heroes littered the field, long since taken from their home. For too long had the forces of her patron gone unnoticed. It was time to announce a new power, a new god. Her lord was Aurzhul, the wyrm king, the grand reaper, the bartering god. He embodied greed, the desire for wealth and status.
    With a sweep of her cloak she motioned for a rift to open between the warp and the galaxy. Follow by her army, she stepped through.

All right, my first battle with the forces of Aurzhul, my Chaos army. My first battle was against a pretty cool guy. He was also Chaos Marines. Although only about half of his army was painted, the painted half was really good (well, better than mine at least). His beserkers were a nice deep read, and his other marines were a dark purple (very menacing). Points were set at 1000 points.

My list
    Daemon Priness Katherra Ska- Flight, warptime
    Dreadnought Stromboli w/ missile launcher
    Dreadnought Monstro w/ extra close combat arm
    Squad Garnet 10 Marines, Champ w/ fist, 2 plasma guns, rhino
    Squad Sapphire 10 Marines, Champ w/ fist, 2 plasma guns, rhino
    Predator w/ autocannon and lascannon sponsons

His list (I think I remember it all)
    Daemon Prince w/ icon of tzeentch, warptime, bolt of change
    5 Termintors w/ heavy flamer, multi-melta, powerfist, chainfist
    8 Beserkers w/ 1 plasma pistol
    9 Chaos Marines w/ icon of tzeentch
    Predator w/ autocannon, lascannon sponsons, havoc launcher

Not going to be an easy fight.

Katherra looked across the horizon. She could see figures in the distance. They were Chaos marines wearing purple armor. Far to the left she could see Squads Sapphire and Garnet staring down more of their welcomers. How had they known of their arrival though?
    “Shall we kill them?” The dark, bellowing voice of Stromboli the Slaver resonated through his dreadnought hull.
    “Of course not Stromboli. They have welcomed us into the galaxy. Most likely they have offered themselves to Auzhul and seek our approval.”

Set Up
    There were a couple pieces of terrain on my left which separated about one foot from the rest of the battlefield. I had Monstro (close combat dreadnought), and squad Garnet there, facing down his terminators who were screening his beserkers. On the other side of that terrain, I had Squad Sapphire up against his marines with the icon of Tzeentch. To the far right it was Stromboli the dreadnought, Katherra, and my predator against his daemon prince and Predator.

I opted to give him the first turn, thinking that he couldn’t hurt me too bad the first turn. It was a mistake that cost me.

Katherra watched as the enemy Predator turned and fired on Squad Sapphire’s rhino. Lascannon and autocannon shots penetrated is hull, engulfing it in a fiery blaze. Golden warrior poured out from the smoke, stumbling over the wreckage. Many were trapped in the burning wreck. Katherra turned her attention to their leader. It was swathed in shadow. With an unearthly roar it swept forward upon its wings. A fiery blue blast emitted from is eyes, covering her in flames.
    Turn 1- Him
    First turn, he blows up one rhino, I lose a few marines and the squad in pinned. Everything else moved forward. Daemon Prince bolt of changed Katherra.

“Die!” Stromboli charged towards the daemon prince, rushing into a complex.
    “Stromboli, stop! Katherra tried to rush after her dreadnought.
    Stromboli could not reach the Prince, nor Katherra. However, the mighty predator of Aurzhul, turned the corner and fire. The mighty warrior slowed lsightly as two large holes punctured through his chest.

Turn 1- Me
    Stromboli loses his mind and charges towards the daemon prince. My daemon princess follows hoping for a double charge but I am just out of range. I wanted to have my predator fire at his predator, but I didn’t think I could get a line of sight, so instead I went for his daemon prince, getting two wounds.

Far to the left the terminators advanced slowly, laying fire down on squad Garnet, cutting their numbers down. Behind them cries for the Blood God were lost in the gunfire.
    The mighty daemon prince leaped upon the predator ripping into its top. He tossed the turret aside and stabbed repeatedly into the predator, killing its crew.
    Katherra found herself under heavy fire. The enemy predator had turned its attention to taking her head.

Turn 2-Him
    Terminators shoot a few marines from Garnet. His predator knocks two wounds off Katherra, leaving her with one. His daemon prince blows up my predator.

Stromboli, seeing his enemy fly away turned his attention to their predator. His missile launcher fired away, hitting its front. As the dust cleared, the damage was minimal. Katherra demanded answers. How dare they ambush her! How dare they attack her personally. Worse of all, their leader dared burn her and then ignore her. She flew away from the incoming fire. Calling upon the powers of the warp she intended to slow time. She was ignored. Laughing, her adversary called out to the warp to do the same. He was not as lucky for a daemon lashed out at him. Blood ran done his eyes and nostrils. Katherra took this opportunity to attack her foe. The two mighty beasts dueled. Her elegant sweeps were matched by his vicious hacks and slashes. Neither one would get the advantage.
    Turn 2- Me
    Not much to speak of for shooting. No one died to my attacks. What was a lot more interesting (and the highlight of the game) was when our leaders clashed. I tried to use warptime, but failed on an 11. He tried to do the same, rolled sixes. So, he failed and lost a wound. I charged in with each of us having one wound now. They took each other out.

The enemy predator turned and fired all its weapons at Stromboli, distracted by the fight of his leader. For a moment he felt a sense of numbing as his body detached from his legs and rolled a few feet upside down. On the other side of the battle, the enemy terminators fired and charged at Squad Garnet. The terminators outclassed the golden warriors taking three more down.

Turn 3- Him
    Well, now he just started to clean things up. My left flank was about to collapse, my right flank was gone. I had Squad Sapphire out in the middle of nowhere trying to get a bead on his purple marines with the icon of Tzeentch. The battle was really over by this point, but I was going to try to get a few more shots in before I went down.

Monstro bellowed his challenge and plowed into the terminators. He picked the first terminator up by his head. The thrashing marine could do little as the dreadnought crushed his skull. The second raised up his arms to block the dreadnoughts power scourge which tore through his, and made a bloody pretzel of him. It was not enough as squad Garnet fell to the power weapons of the terminators, their power weapons cleaving chunks out of them.
    Turn 3- Me
    All right, so I got two of his terminators down. Their 4+ ward saves didn’t help as much this time. However, I lost the rest of Squad Garnet. His terminators were now out of combat from Monstro and consolidated to his side.

The terminators sprinted behind Monstro. One marine opened up with his combi-melta. Monstro blew into tiny bits. The terminator could hardly celebrate his kill because Monstro’s power claw blew straight into the marine’s chest, felling the fallen warrior. Squad Sapphire was finding themselves surrounded now. The predator was shooting them down, one by one. They were outclassed by the marines with Tzeentch’s favor, and even the beserkers were approaching. If they could have run, they would, but it would have been futile. Now was the time to die with honor.
    Turn 4- Him
    His terminators moved behind Monstro the dreadnought and fire a melta shot into his back, blowing him up. Lucky for me the blast took out the very terminator who killed him. I kept losing marines from Squad Sapphire.

Garnets rhino, trying to avenge his brothers charged for the terminators who dove out of the way. Squad Sapphire fired wildly all around, panic getting the best of them.
    Turn 4- Me
    Failed tank shock. No shots killed his people.

It was over. The enemy terminators ran up behind the rhino and grabbed it back. The might of two terminators carrying powerfists and the drive of the rhino’s engine split the vehicle in half. Bolt pistols from beserkers, bolter fire from the purple marines, and the predator turned Squad Sapphire location into dust. No one emerged.
    Turn 5- Him
    The terminators finished off my second rhino. Everything else fired at my squad. The beserkers managed to finish me off, finally getting to do something.

Katherra and the enemy daemon prince stared down each other. “Who are you and why have you killed my men. I demand an answer!”
    The daemon prince smiled and said, “She wants you to herself. I have done all that has been asked of me.” With that the daemon prince and his forces left the battlefield, leaving Katherra, two dismantled dreadnoughts, and a handful of survivors left.

Time for the second battle. There was a guy who was friendly enough to take me on. This was his first time playing with the new Chaos Daemons (Yeah, I know. I’m Chaos, then I fight Chaos, then I fight a different kind of Chaos). It was late, and he recommended a 500 point battle.

My List

Daemon Princess Katherra w/ doombolt
    Dreadnought Stromboli w/ missile launcher
    Dreadnought Monstro w/ 2 close combat arms
    Squad Garnet 6 Marines
    Squad Sapphire 6 Marines

His List

Masque
    10 Daemonettes
    10 Daemonettes
    4 Horrors
    3 Horrors

Katherra watched as her surviving men put the two dreadnoughts back together. They were not in the best shape, but they would be able to move. She was weak. She could no longer fly. All she could do was create small flickers of golden flames with her free hand. What had happened? Who were those marines, and why had they known of her arrival? Who was this “she” that her adversary had referred to. Something was horribly wrong. She started walking away in thought. No doubt it was one of the four major godss that was responsible. Of the four, she knew which one she did not want it to be.
    Set Up
    We scattered small terrain everywhere. It looked pretty decent. I put Katherra off to the far right, hoping that she would draw some attention away from the main force. I set up Squad Garnet along with both dreadnoughts on the far left. Squad Sapphire was to the right of that force.

“Whore of Aurzhul, your master will be consumed. Your riches shall be ours. Your petty followers will be food for the flies. You my sweet little girl will dance with me.” The Masque appeared right before Katherra. The main force saw as ten daemonettes appeared in front of them. Even Squad Sapphire felt the presence of the warp, but it scattered away.
    Turn 1- Him
    I opted to give him the first turn. (This time it was the right choice). The Masque was supposed to appear a bit away from Katherra, but scattered to right in front of her. The daemonettes landed on target, across from Garnet and the dreadnoughts. His unit of three horrors scattered right into Squad Sapphire and were destroyed.

Stromboli launched a frag missile into the heart of the daemonettes. He had had enough from the last battle. Monstro and Squad Garnet joined in. The creatures of Slaanesh would not find them easy prey.
    Katherra was in no mood. She had been mocked once, it would not happen again. With warp fires burning in her eyes she cast out a bolt of lightning at the Masque. She charged the daemon. Though the Masque anticipated this move, she could not stop the blows of the furious immortal and turned to mist as Katherra cleaved her in two.

Turn 1- Me
    Big turnaround from the last game so far. Shooting saw seven daemonettes out of ten killed (the frag missile was perfect for the deep striking daemonettes.) Katherra put one wound on the Masque with doombolt and the other on the assault. She took no wounds in return.

More daemons appeared from the warp. Ten more daemonettes appeared across from Squad Sapphire. Unlike the nude ones from before, these were clad in colorful armor. Their brilliant rainbow hair glowed eerily. Horrors appeared behind the nude daemonettes and cast fires down upon Garnet. Two of the marines were immolated, their armor crumbling to the earth. The three surviving daemonettes charged Stromboli, but the slim limbs were not enough to carve into the war machine. With an up thrust, one of the daemonettes was sent soaring into the air as she dissipated.
    Turn 2- Him
    First blood for him. His four horrors (who each had three shooting attacks) managed to fell two of my marines. His three daemonettes charged Stromboli. They failed to kill him and lost one of their own.

Garnet fired back as they moved forward, but the horrors only smiled as they bolt shells fell short due to some warp magics. Squad Sapphire, upon seeing the daemonettes ran for it. They went for their leader. Katherra could stop them. Monstro joined to help Stromboli. He did not make it before one of the daemonettes carved up the front of Stromboli, crippling the behemoth. Monstro stomped on one daemonette and pounded the other into the ground with his claw.
    Turn 2- Me
    I decided to try to get Sapphire away from his new daemonettes because they had no chance. I was hoping to get to Katherra so the two units together could take them down, or at least kill some of them. Monstro charged in to kill the last two original daemonettes, but not before they killed Stromboli.

The horrors tried once again to burn Squad Garnet, but this time Tzeentch did not guide their fires. The daemonettes however moved faster than Squad Sapphire could have imagined. Though only two marines fell to the sharp claws, they were scarred out of their minds. Rather than fight, they fled away from the daemons.
    Turn 3- Him
    The horrors failed to kill any marines this time. The daemonettes with a fleet of five moved in to attack. Seven were close enough to attack. Amazingly, only two of my guys fell. Unfortunately, I killed none in return. My guys did manage to escape though.

Monstro and Squad Garnet fired into the four horrors and charge into them. One horror is riddled with bullets. Another is hacked down by chainswords. The last two are kicked aside by Monstro and are no more. Squad Sapphire turned to fire into their pursuers. Three daemonettes turned to dust. Knowing they could never outrun the savage beauties, they took the initiative. Katherra watched as the fools were lost to a flurry of strikes.
    Turn 3- Me
    I finish the horrors off with fire and assault from my surviving dreadnought and Garnet. Squad Sapphire fired into the daemonettes and killed three. I decided to charge because it was either now or the next turn. They all died to rending.

The daemonettes turned the hungry gazes to Katherra. They licked their lips and charged her. She readied herself for their attacks. They clawed at her, stabbed her, slashed her, cut her, and bit her. One daemonette rose its claw to decapitate Katherra, but another shook its head. “This one is supposed to be kept alive… for now.” The daemonete searched her. Finding nothing, she turned to the rest of the Aurzhulen force.
    Turn 4- Him
    Daemonettes charge Katherra and take her down before she can swing. I6 is just killing me.

As the daemonettes turn and charge, Monstro and the four marines open fire. It was not enough to stop their charge. Three daemonettes descended upon Monstro and cut the dreadnaught down. The marines counter fired into the daemonettes, blowing one of their heads off.
    Turn 4- Me
    I just get ready for them to charge as they are out of range.
    Turn 5- Him
    He charges to my lines
    Turn 5- Me
    Fire kills four daemonettes
    Turn 6- Him
    Charges into my dreadnaught and kill it.
    Turn 6- Me
    Fire kills one more daemonette.

At this point I “officially” won as Squad Garnet was still over half strong. However, in the sprit of the game we rolled to see what would happen.

Garimel turned to his brothers. “They are searching for this.” He revealed a map with changing runes dancing across the parchment. Lines intertwined and mixed with one another. It was a map to find Aurzhul. Katherra had entrusted it to him, knowing that she was much more likely to be targeted. He tore the map in two, and its fizzled away into the wind.
    The daemonettes, seeing this charged straight for them in vengeance, knowing their mission had failed.
    Quethos turned to Garimel and chuckled. “A good day to die. Too bad though, I had always wanted to bathe in the rivers of gold, and live within a mighty castl…” Quethos lost his head. Garimel turned to find a claw in his gut. The third marine lost both arms, one to each daemon. The last marine tried to fight, but tripped over the wreckage. He heard the daemonetted laugh above him. Then all went dark.

It took two turns (first his, then mine) to kill the four marines. He still had two daemonettes left. Although I won on turn 6 officially, in any “real” 40k battle those two daemonettes would have finished me off.

Things I learned from the first game.
    -I should have taken the first turn.
    -I was outgunned to begin with. His icons of tzeentch made his army a lot tougher than mine.
    -Dreadnaughts with two close combat weapons can be effective. However, they are counter-charge units. He was the only model that made his points back during the game. --Lucky for me, he came to me. Had he had a shooty force, then my Monstro would not have been useful.
    -Rhinos aren’t so useful when there is not a lot of armor around them. They were easy targets.
    Things I learned from the second game.
    -Three is the number it seems with daemons. Three cc attacks for daemonettes, three shooting attacks from horrors. Three is also the number I could not hit. So many times I failed to wound. My rolling to hit was exceptional, but it was more than evened out with my dismal to wound rolls.
    -Never fight against daemonettes. Even my dreadnaughts were having trouble with them. -Every time he got a penetrating and/ or glancing hit blew them up.
    -I’m not sure what the Masque does as I do not have the rulebook, but I should find out. She fell pretty easy to my leader, but I think I got a little lucky there.
    *Only the brave deserve to win. I should have fired with Squad Sapphire to begin with. I was hoping that the daemonette fleet move would not catch them. I depended on dice and it did not work. Best not to make strategies based on luck. Base strategies on what I can depend on.

Katherra faded away, back to the realm of Aurzhul. Upon her arrival an army of servants started to mend her wounds. They carried off her bloodied and torn clothes. They brought her a simple white robe to put on. She turned and faced her husband looking down on her.
    “Deneste, the Masque was there. She sent mercenaries to weaken us. They tried to get the map.”
    “I know Love. It appears that Slaanesh is not pleased with our presence. It is no surprise though. We are infringing on her territory.”
    “We are nothing like the perverse servants of She Who Thirsts!”
    “No, we are not. It defiles everything it touches while we are preservers. That is the difference between us.” In his hand appeared a glass of wine. “You see this glass Love. The wine in it is worth quite a fortune on Darreth III. It comes from the blood of their Pit Lions. If I were a servant of Slaanesh, I would drink this glass up and lose myself in its hypnotic properties. However, rumors say that the Pit Lions are almost extinct. When this happens, this glass of wine will become invaluable as no more will ever be made again. So I will keep it and watch as its value rises.” The glass disappeared. He leaned dwon and kissed his wife. “Slaanesh will pay for this insult. We will prepare for the oncoming war immediately.”

I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Good reports. I really liked the fluffy story and descriptions, they were short but well done.
    What is dis signature nonsence?! dem stupid human zoggers are always trien to confuze us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

Thanks for the feedback Gathrog!I was curious to what people thought, it being my first battle report (excluding a kill team mission or two). Next time (whenever I can get the time to play), I'll try to remember to bring a camera, and to lengthen some of descriptions.
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Some pictures would be great, and as long as you keep up with your fluffy descriptions it will only make your reports better. I'm especially curious to see what your demon princess looks like. So if you're a decent painter and want to show off a little show us a close up of her! =)
    What is dis signature nonsence?! dem stupid human zoggers are always trien to confuze us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really enjoyed this hope you do a few more thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

254 (x5)

Yeah, I'm hoping to get a few more battles in as well. Right now though, my internship is taking up all of my time, so it may be a few weeks. In the meantime, here are some pics of my army. (Not all the models are crystal clear, but I think it gives the general just of it).

Pictures of my Army

+ Reply to Thread