Dark Eldar at 'Ard Boyz - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Dark Eldar at 'Ard Boyz

As I had missed out on 'Ard Boyz last year, I was determined to make it this year. I signed up at my local shop about a month in advance and started getting my list together. Then a week before the tournament the scenarios come out and by the looks of it the Kill Point rules where going to be very harsh on my list with 4 HQs (Archon and 3 Haemonculi) and a couple of small units. So I re-wrote my list. The night before the tournament GW releases the clarifications for the scenarios and my old list would still have been valid, but the changes turned out to be a good thing.

Heres my List

HW

Archon Punisher, tormentor Helm, trophy rack, combat drugs, plasma nades, hell mask, and animus vitae

Wych Dracite with plasma and haywire nades, trophy rack, and agoniser
    8 wyche retinue w/ succubus with agonizer, x2 blasters and plasma nades
    Raider w/nightshields

Elites

8 Wyches w/ succubus agonizer, x2 blasters, plasma nades, haywire nade on succubus and trophy rack
    Raider w/ nightshields

8 Wyches w/ succubus agonizer, x2 blasters, plasma nades, haywire nade on succubus and trophy rack
    Raider w/ nightshields

Raider w/ nightshields

Troops

9 man Raider Squad w/ Sybarite agonizer, trophy rack, splinter cannon, blaster, plasma and haywire nades on sybarite
    Raider

9 man Raider Squad w/ Sybarite agonizer, trophy rack, splinter cannon, blaster, plasma and haywire nades on sybarite
    Raider

Raider

Raider

10 Warrior Squad x2 dark lances

10 Warrior Sqead x2 dark lances, sybarite with nightmare doll

Heavy Support

Ravager x3 disentegrators, nightshields

With only 20 men and 11 vehicles to deploy, this list was both very fast and easy to deploy.

Round 1 was objective markers with spearhead deployment and my opponent was necrons

His list (as close as I can remember)

Necron Lord destroyer body, warscythe, res orb

Necron Lord warscythe or staff?, veil of darkness

10 Immortals

10 flayed ones

4 squads of 10-13 necron warriors

2 squads of 4-6 destroyers

3 wraiths

3 heavy destroyers

Monolith

I won the roll to go first and against necrons I was taking it, i deployed everything as far up as possible with the wyches taking the lead, only the 2 10 man warrior squads hung back to claim the 2 objectives in my corner. Then he deployed and to my suprise he deployed everything as close as he could to me! When he failed to steal initiative I knew this was going to be quick and bloody.

Turn 1

All my wyches move forward and disembark from their raiders as does the raider squad accompaning my lord (who leaves the squad). Shooting sees my ravagers wipe out the heavy destroyers and knock down about 6-9 warriors from 2 different squads. Then all my fleet rolls come up high, so I assualt with the 4 wych squads and the lord. I manage to assualt 2 warrior squads (1 was pretty far away but my dracites squad had rolled 12" assualt for combat drugs), 1 of the destroyer squads, and the wraith squad the Lord with destroyer body had joined. I was also able to tie all these combats together into one combat using overlapping assualts (dracites squad charged warrior squad A and B, wych squad 1 charges warriors B and Destroyers, etc.) I was able to win combat and run all the squads down and the wraiths with lord off the board.

He took losing 5 squads in the top of turn 1 rather well (all things considered) and continued to play on. But I was able to get him to his phase out # by the top of turn 3, having only lost my Dracite and retinue.

I was able to get 3 out of 4 battle points

23-1 massacre for the Dark Eldar

Game 2 was Annihilation using modified Dawn of War (we could deploy all HQ and Troops or only 2 troops and 1 HQ)

My opponent was Dark Angels Deathwing, he had managed to massacre his space wolf opponent by a similar margin to my first round. He also had few kill points but most of his shooting was short range.

His List (as I remember it)

Master of Deathwing special Character

Grey Knights Grand Master

x2 Venerable Dread assualt cannon, hvy flamer, drop pod

5 terminators, assualt cannon

7-8 assualt terminatorsmix of terminator cc weapons (never came into play)

x2 Vindicator

Land Raider Crusader

I won the roll again and decided to have him go first (I figured between nightfighting and his 24" range and my nightshields I would be ok). He deployed some terminators to my left side in the open and then put another squad on the 2nd lvl of a ruined fort (which had no line of sight into or out of the first lvl, this will be important soon.) I deplyed my 2 10 man dark lance squads and my dracite's raider in the center of my zone with cover.

Turn 1

He deepstrikes a unit of terminators next to the one to my left and deviates into a crater (no deaths). The landraider crusader (with cc termies inside) shows up and hides behind the ruined fort to try and get out of LOS. The 2 vindicators show up on the right side of the same fort (just enough room for them to be side by side) to again hide, they pop smoke). His shooting is non exisitant.

On my turn the 3 wych squads come out on my left and move 24" towards the termies in the open, 3 of my raider squads move to take shoots at his vindicators and my ravagers move in centrally to shoot at the termies in the open. My shooting drops a few terminators from 2 squads but nightfighting hurts alot.

Turn 2

He deepstrikes both his remaing termie squad and grey night gm into the ruined fort?! He said he was hiding them from me and wanted me to come through the 1 door at him? Not much movement on his side. He shoots down 1 of my wych raiders and only 3 survive (but both blasters live) and his vindicator wrecks one of my raider squads.

My wyches move up and disembark and my raider squads move in to attack the vindicators and my dracite's raider moves up to take a obscured shot at the LRC. My ravagers kill all but 1 termitor from 1 squad (who the downed wyches finish off with blasters), the raider squads manage to stun 1 vindicator and blow the other and the dracite's raider manages to wreck the LRC despite its cover. In the assualt the 2 wych squads wipe out the remaining terminator squad in the open.

Turn 3

Both his Venerable Dreads show up and drop infront of the ruined fort. His only movment is to move the disembarked termin cc squad towards the ruined fort? His dreads shooting forces the disembarked raider squad to flee and stunns a ravager.

I remount my 2 wych squads that still have raiders and move them towards the other side of the field. I bump alot of dark lance, blaster and dissintegrator shots into the vindicator and 2 dreads but only manage to stun the vindicator and one dread and immobilize the other one.

Turn 4-7

He manages to blow up the ravager he stunned early, then i blow up both dreads and vindicator. His cc termies hide in the ruins with the rest and only 1 squad eventually tries to go back to the 2nd lvl and shoot at me with no success, only to be decimated by AP 2 shots. And all 7 turns took less then 1 hour

Massacre with all 4 battle points for the Dark Eldar

24-1 (i didnt have any fast attack so he auto got that point)

The 3rd round would have 2 objectives and use kill points (only mattered if someone didnt control both objectives) using modified Dawn of War (we could deploy all HQ and Troops or only 2 troops and 1 HQ)

My opponent was Eldar and we where playing for 1st place.

His list (as best I can remember)

Yriel

Howling Banshee Phoenix Lord

x3 6-7 Guardian jetbike squad with warlock and shuricken cannon

8-10 Pathfinders

7 Dire Avengers

7-8 Harlequins kisses, shadow seer, troop master

9-10 howling banshees with exarch
    wave serpent w/ tl shuricken cannon

6-8 Fire Dragons with exarch
    Wave serpent w/ tl star cannon

x2 Fire Prisms holo fields

Falconbright lance, pulse laser, shuriken cannon

He won the roll off and made me go first. I deployed all my raider squads and dracite w/ retinue as far forward as I could and deployed my 10 man dark lance squads in cover and 1 on the objective.

He deployed the phonex lord behind a ruined bunker in the center, which the pathfinders occupied, the dire's deployed on my left in a ruined building and the bikes hid as best they could.

Turn 1

With little choice I speed all my raiders 24 forward, I used 2 of my raiders squads to block most line of sight to my dracite's raider. The wych raiders also speed across the table 24". The ravagers couldn't do much as nightfight was in affect. I then held my breath as his turn started.

Everything moved onto the table, he moved both wave serpents flat out. The guardian bikers moved out to engage my raiders. I weathered his shooting better then I could have hoped with only 2 raiders wrecked (though both squads where pinned). What happened next changed the game and both stunned me and made me very happy, he assualted the two pinned units with his bikes! I fought 1 to a draw but was run down in the other, though he only massacred 1 inch away!

Turn 2

Feeling much more confident at the thought of another mass assault I began my turn by moving forward all my wych raiders and disembarking them along with my dracite's squad and my archons squad. My remaing embarked raider squad moved to his table edge and disembarked with the intention of point blank shooting the harlequins. In my shooting phase I kill 3 harlequins and a few dire avengers, but completely unable to do anything to his vehicles but stun a wave serpent. However, now its time for my army to shine, in an assualt reminisent of my first game against the necrons my wych squads, dracite's squad and archon's raider squad all charge in. In all I bring all 3 of his bike squads and his harlequins into combat and again manage to make it 1 giant assault that leaves all the target units dead of having fled off the table. I then do my best to sweeping advance into cover.

He starts by disembarking Yriel and the banshees from their wave serpent, Yriel heads off on his own and the wyches go towards a wyche squad and the disembarked raider squad and the phoenix lord goes after a wych squad. In his shooting phase his prisms miss once and the other kills a wych squad down to 1. Yriel charges one wych squad, the phoenix lord another, and the banshees charge the last and the raider squad. The wyches fighting Yriel are wiped out with his Eye thing, they tie against the phoenix lord and they beat the banshees who hold.

Turn 3

Limited movement on my part (save the for last surviving wych who jumps in his raider and flies off!). My shooting sees yriel lanced to death, a fire prim stunned and a few more dires killed. My dracites squad assualts the phoenix lord and my lord assualts the pathfinders. The dracite and succubus's agonizer the phoenix lord to death, my lord wipes out the pathfinders and the banshees are run off. Both objectives are mine at this point.

His turn, the fire dragons move over and deploy next to the ruined bunker and fire at the raider squad on the objective and with the help of the falcon and wave serpents would have wiped them out but for some amazing cover saves on my part.

Turn 4

My lord moves out to take out the fire dragons and raiders and ravagers start really focusing on vehicle destruction.....And only manage to blow the fire prisms main weapon off.... However the ravager finally gets rid of the dires and my lord kills all of the fire dragons in the assualt!

He shoots what he can but my guys grab cover and hide, but not before he moves to try and contest both objectives which leads to 1 wave serpent crashing into the cover my dark lance squad was hiding in.

Turn 5 wrapup

My lord assualts the falcon that didnt move and everything else tries to kill the skimmers, but to no avail. He manages to contest both objectives, but as i have numberous squads with 1 or 2 members still alive i beat him handedly in Kill points.

Minor victory for Dark Eldar and 3 kill points

18-6

That gave me 65 points for a solid first place, 2nd went to the deathwing player i played in the 2nd round with 47 points and there was a 3 way tie for 3rd at 45 points, with the invitation for the semi-finals going to an eldar player.

This was my first tournament using this many raiders and I have to say I am VERY happy with the results. I am aware that my opponents made some serious mistakes that let me capitalise in a way that left them unable to recover. But I had a great time none-the-less.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

congratulations on your victory also, nice battle report.
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Gardeth, excellent job - it looks as if you found "harmony" with your play style and 5th edition. I wish I could have said the same with me as I had a lousy time at the 'Ard Boyz tournament (which was my first time as well) but I did end up 7th out of 24 - oh well!

I was wondering with the insight that you have now on your list choices how you feel about the following:

Raider Rush - it looks as if you started everything on the table when you could, you find this strategy good all the time? Even when you move 2nd?

Hell mask, did it ever work?

Haywires, I do not see them working much for me but would you take them again?

Nightmare Doll - what did they say when you tried to use it? Did you use it?

Nightshields - did they ever cause the opponent to miss or did they ever discourage your opponent from shooting at them?

Lastly, how did your tables look with all the terrain? Did you have the right amount of terrain? Was it decent for 5th edition? Did you get to move it?

Excellent job on winning, I hope you do well in your next set of games!
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by KwiKwag View Post
    Gardeth, excellent job - it looks as if you found "harmony" with your play style and 5th edition. I wish I could have said the same with me as I had a lousy time at the 'Ard Boyz tournament (which was my first time as well) but I did end up 7th out of 24 - oh well!

I was wondering with the insight that you have now on your list choices how you feel about the following:

Raider Rush - it looks as if you started everything on the table when you could, you find this strategy good all the time? Even when you move 2nd?

This strategy tends to work most of the time as I tend to go first have nightfighting to help cover me. When I don;t have either I use the Warrior raiders to block line of sight to my wytch and HQ raiders, with a few exceptions there is just to many targets for them to shoot at.

Hell mask, did it ever work?

Never came up as the squad he attacked was always wiped out on the assault

Haywires, I do not see them working much for me but would you take them again?

Didnt do much this tournament but they give me an extra chance to destroy vehicles, after the squads blaster fails. I will keep bringing them.

Nightmare Doll - what did they say when you tried to use it? Did you use it?

Only used it once and it failed, but no one made any contention about it when I explained it, as one guy said, it says what it says and if it wouldn't work anymore then GW would have killed it in the FAQ like they did the Gruesome Talisman.

Nightshields - did they ever cause the opponent to miss or did they ever discourage your opponent from shooting at them?

Even better, my opponents knew what they did and so ignored the raiders with them completely, even with weapons that where probably in range. And it also had a hand in making my deathwing opponent hide his army as nothing of his had greater then a 24" in range!

Lastly, how did your tables look with all the terrain? Did you have the right amount of terrain? Was it decent for 5th edition? Did you get to move it?

All the table had the right amount of terrain and even a few pieces a skimmer could hide behind. So no issues there.

Excellent job on winning, I hope you do well in your next set of games!
    Thanks, I have had a great amount of success with DE in 5th ed, once I figured it out that is. I used to play a WWP army, but with the new line of sight rules I couldn't make it competative. I just can't say enough about the new survivability of raiders between the new damage chart and 4+ cover for going flat out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

nice reports, awesome ownage.
    Avatar's Arena #3 let the games begin!
    The Outsider And Kae'Tyr-necron fluff

+ Reply to Thread