[1000] 4th Ed. CSM vs Tyranids Annihilation - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

[1000] 4th Ed. CSM vs Tyranids Annihilation

*note* This was actually played with 5th edition rules, The thread title has a typo, sorry for the inconvenience.

A few days ago I had the pleasure of my first ever use of the Tyranids army. Let's see what happened:

Tyranids:

HQ:
    Hive Tyrant - Wings, twin Scything Talons, Warp Field, Toxin Sacs

Troops:
    8x Genestealers - Scything Talons, Scuttlers, Flesh Hooks

8x Genestealers - Scything Talons, Scuttlers, Flesh Hooks

12x Hormagaunts - Toxin Sacs, Adrenal Glands (I, WS)

10x Termagaunts - Spinefist

9x Termagaunts - Spinefist

Fast Attack:
    3x Warriors - Wings, Scything Talons, Rending Claws, Toxin Sacs, Adrenal Glands (I, WS)

Chaos Space Marines:

HQ:
    Khorne Lord - Khornate Demon Weapon, MoK

Troops:
    10x Khorne Berzerkers with Skull Champion - Powerfist
    Rhino

10x Thousand Sons with Aspiring Sorceror - Bolt of Change
    Rhino

Fast Attack:
    6x Raptors with Raptor Champion - Powerfist

Heavy Support:
    Defiler - 2 DCCW

Setup:
    The table was cover heavy with few impassable pieces of terrain. On his side there were 2 forests directly in front of his deployment zone with tank traps bridging the gap between them. On the left side of his board there was also some rubble. On my side there was rubble strewn in front of my deployment zone, leaving the center of the board pretty much open.

Deployment:
    He won deployment and gave me first turn. I deployed my hive tyrant behind some rubble on my left, Kept the genestealers in reserves for outflank, and deployed the ball of gaunts on the right with the warrior squad to provide synapse.

He deployed his defiler on the left toward the table edge, both rhino's dead center, and the raptors on the right.

He chose not to seize the initiative.

Turn 1
    :
    Tyranids:
    I have no shooting my list, so I basically moved everything forward, screening the horms with my spine gaunts. Everything that could fleet, did.

CSM:
    My opponent moved both his rhinos right between a gap in the terrain on his side, putting them close together so the hive tyrant wouldnt be able to assault the defiler. The 1k sons disembarked and managed to wound the tyrant with a well placed bolt of change. The defiler threw a pie plate on the gaunt ball* but only managed 4 dead spinegaunts after cover saves. The raptors hopped over the forest to assault the warriors, but the warriors instead ate the raptors only losing 1 model in return.

*(My gaunts were moving in a mass, but I was not gaunt wrapping. To clarify, I was using my spine gaunts to screen the hormagaunts.)

Turn 2:
    Tyranids:
    I rolled for both genestealer squads in reserve and they both appeared, both on the table edge I specified. Both genestealer squads made a beeline for the 1k sons and with fleet both squads were in range to assault. The gaunt ball moved up again, this time some spine gaunts fleeting far enough to block the side hatch of the rhino with the berzerkers still inside. The winged warriors hopped to the rear hatch and prepared to assault. The hive tyrant, who couldnt make it past the rhino wall was forced to assault the berzerker's rhino but blocked off the final side hatch. In assault the tyrant managed to destroy the rhino causing the berzerkers to emergency disembark which meant they would be able to do nothing on their following turn. Both genestealer squads charged the 1k sons, killing every member in the squad on the charge. The tyrant consolidated towards the defiler, and the stealers consolidated toward the wrecked rhino.

CSM:
    Not having much to do, my opponent dropped another pie plate on the gaunt horde, but it scattered off of them. The Khorne Berzerkers stood around and picked their noses in disgust.

Turn 3:
    Tyranids:
    The final push began. My hive tyrant moved to engage the defiler in some cc fiestiness While my genestealers moved to engage the zerkers mired on top of their destroyed rhino. The spine gaunts moved broadside the wreck and the hormagaunts also got into assault range. In shooting 2 zerkers bit it to s3 spinefist fire. The warriors, and 1 squad of genestealers assaulted the zerkers, but the horms were blocked by a tide of gaunts so they couldnt make it into base to base. Similarly the other squad of genestealers didn't have enough room to make the assault and I decided to throw them into the rear armor of the other rhino just to see what would happen. The stealers assaulting the rhino managed to blow it up with some good rending rolls leaving it a wreckage. The hive tyrant managed to immobilize the defiler but took 2 wounds for his trouble. The genestealer and warrior combat saw 4 zerkers drop, but 4 stealers also died and thus combat was drawn.

CSM:
    Feeling their impending doom, the khorne berzerkers lashed out at the squads around them dropping a warrior and 2 more genestealers but losing 3 more berzerkers leaving them only the skull champion and the khorne lord (who had wounded himself twice on his own demon weapon at this point). The defiler was asploded when the tyrant decided he had had enough of DCCW's.

Turn 4:
    Tyranids:
    Now with the killzone for the zerkers somewhat clearer, the hormagaunts, second genestealer squad, and hive tyrant charged into combat. The tyrant was cut down, but so were both remaining skullheads. Table for the Tyranids.

Closing Remarks:

My opponent had just recieved the models he used in the mail (hes working on a 1500 pt list for chaos) so I don't think he intended to play such a serious game. I felt like my list was a lot more competetive than his, and the results were obvious. Also my opponent was rolling very poorly, while I was rolling extremely well (except for rending rolls for the genestealers which averaged 2 rends on the charge .)

Last edited by Amishcellphone; September 28th, 2008 at 22:12.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left" Bertrand Russell

We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

W/D/L
    Eldar: 3-3-1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Awesome battle report!

you can see that his list was no good for fighting - just much too small and too little to capture objectives or fend off certain types of lists

your list also could do with some modding I think - you seem stuck in the middle - half horde, half elite - I suggest you go one way or another- your GS's are a little too tooled up perhaps and if they ide early theres not much you can do against tougher stuff

but I'm just guessing - lt

once again, nice report

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

Like I said, it was my first attempt with the nids. I figured at 1k pts I wouldnt be seeing too many vehicles so I went with a more hordish approach. The outflanking genestealers are really nasty, flesh hooks make them probably the best shock troops in the game always striking with their ridiculous initiative. I will have to play that list against a more competitive one in the future, to see how it turns out. Thanks for the reply.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left" Bertrand Russell

We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

W/D/L
    Eldar: 3-3-1

+ Reply to Thread