Three very different battles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Three very different battles

Hi. Well I thought I might share a couple of battles I fought down at GW last night. Its been a little while since I played WH40K (I played one battle vs a mate a few weeks ago but other than that I haven’t played in about a year and a half).

Anyway I cracked out my Crimson Fists and headed down to Thursday Games night.

Battle One
    Well when I arrived (very early at 3:30 in the afternoon) there were only two people there and they were already into a game which I watched.

It was a varied space marine force (Blood Angels Crimson Fists Ultramarines and Black Templars) Vs Iron Warriors.

The Iron Warriors were trouncing the loyalists. They had disabled the marines two Vindicators and had dug themselves into some ruins and a bunker.

A force of Berserkers and Daemons had completely outflanked the marines.

Unfortunately the Iron warriors chap had to leave for 45 minutes for a driving lesson. He was coming back so left his army there. He asked me if I wanted to take over which I did……

Turn 4
    With loyalist Terminators having deep striked behind my lines in an attempt to oust the Iron warriors in the ruins I moved my thousand sons which were In the bunker to get a better firing line and swept ‘my’ landraider around to completely encircle them.

In the firing phase all but one terminator went down to the combined fire of a rhino landraider and two squads of marines.

Meanwhile in the assault phase the Iron warrior Berserkers and daemons finished off the remaining assault marines and consolidated into a heavily tooled up marine captain……

In the Marines Turn 4 some blood-angel tactical marines ran into the bunker while a combat squad began to move to support the captain.

The final terminator armed with an assault cannon mowed down two thousand sons.

In the assault phase the Marine Captain was reduced to one wound but took a bloody toll on his attackers killing three Berzerkers!

Turn Five

‘My’ landraider blew the bunker to pieces! The resultant explosion killed one of the marines inside.

The rest of my force was unable to follow this success and succeeded in doing nothing more than forcing the terminator to make just two armour saves which he passed easily.

In the assault phase two daemons and a berserker went down to the captain who was left unscathed by the melee. The resultant loss from the No Retreat! Rule meant it was looking like the captain might just hack his way through all of the chaos enemy arrayed against him!.

In the marines turn yet another thousand sons went down to the Terminator. The blood angels who now right behind them couldn’t damage them though.

The other tactical combat squad moved into cover rather than moving to assault the Daemons and Berserkers.

Turn six.

The final terminator is finally killed by the iron warrior squad. Meanwhile the thousand sons, landraider and rhino poured fire into the Blood angels who stood in the midst of the ruined bunker wiping them out to a man.

In the assault phase the blasted captain was finally killed. But not before he killed the last of the Berserkers.

In the marines final turn the Tactical squad turned their attentions on the Daemons leaving but one remaining In the firing phase.

And that was it the game was over with a more or less crushing victory for the Iron warriors.

Conclusion
    Well I can’t really take credit for this game as the guy who left did most of the work. I basically just mopped up what was left. It was a good warm up though.

I was pretty impressed with the efforts of the Space Marine Captain and I think if he had more support things may have turned out differently.

Battle Two.

More people were coming into the store and the manager asked me how many points I had brought. I said in access of 2000pts (in fact I had brought about 4000!)

He arranged a match between my-self and a guy who had 1000pts of elder.

So while I was writing up a 1000pts of space marines the guy immediately arranged the terrain to his liking and started deploying his army…….

I made an attempt to slow him down establish missions find out his name etc…..All I got was a muttered response about it being an annihilation mission. I did say that was a bit boring, how about take and hold. Reluctantly he put a few counters on the board…still muttering to himself with the odd shake and laugh……..not a good start.

Anyway I hastily put my forces down on the table. I had a scout squad, a sternguard squad, a tactical squad a captain a librarian a venerable dreadnought and a land-speeder. It came to somewere around a 1000pts (probably 1050 or so).

My deployment zone consisted of nothing other than a small wooden fence and two craters. My opponent had apparently chosen a dense tangle of ruins. The rest of the board was pretty much blank. I had a bad feeling that I was a fish on a hook but things were going pretty fast and I didn’t want to cause to much agro after all this was a friendly game right?......right?

My sinking feeling went further when I saw my opponents force.

About 15 dire avengers, 10 guardians and an exarch. Don’t ask me what their exact troop organisation or armaments were he kept them tucked up safely against his board edge for the whole battle.

He had about 6 scouts which he kept in his ruins.

He had two walkers which seemed to be armed to the teeth with rockets and lasers and all sorts of the Emperor knows what (he muttered a lot and I discovered had both a lisp and a nervous laugh).

A falcon grav tank again armed with all sorts of nasty weapons and was carrying about 8 fire dragons along with an exarch.

These were deployed in the centre.

On my left opposite my landspeeder he had deployed a viper Jet bike.

Finally he had large block of jet bikes (about 12 I would say) led by a Farseer and a Autarch armed with some kind of ‘Weapon O doom’

Oh and he had 5 warp-spiders and a exarch, but they came on later……

Well I don’t know how many points all that came to but if it was 1000pts I would be kind of surprised. He didn’t even have to use his dire avengers or guardians!

Anyway, he got the first turn and basically proceeded to roll up the battle field blowing away my troops which were basically in the open….I did query a few rules points but got a kind of angry scowl and muttered, lisped response…followed of course by an odd spasm and nervous laugh. Apparently however no elder weapons have any range limitations and they can re-roll any misses……Maybe he had a lot of twin linked stuff, I have no idea……

By turn two I realised I was going to lose so basically charged my tactical marines librarian and captain forward into his jetbikes. To my surprise my captain and tactical marines performed admirably and hacked their way through the lot!

As for the rest my scouts and land-speeder had gone down in turn 1 and my dreadnought had been immobilised and was suffering a slow death.

My stern guard did an admirable job in blasting the warpspiders which appeared a bit later on but unfortunately succumbed to the mass fire of everything else

I did try and make small talk….unfortunately my opponent didn’t seem to make talk of any kind more intent on absolutely decimating my force. Judging by the comment ,‘haha the Crimson fist need to do better than this if they want to rebuild’, he was able to make this comment clear anyway, I think he was enjoying himself.

By about turn 3 I was thoroughly bored of the game…..Now this might sound sour grapes but it wasn’t losing that I minded so much as the fact I literally could only understand about 10% of what my opponent was saying. So basically it became an exercise in dice rolling. I let the guy get on with it and began speaking to the Iron Warriors chap who had returned. Every now and then I was required to throw dice and remove figures.

I was tempted to shrug and give up but I thought the guy was clearly a social recluse and winning at WH40K on a rainy Thursday night probably made up for not having friends (cynical but accurate methinks…..) so I thought I would play on and give him the satisfaction of completely destroying my army. (who says I don’t do charity)

Anyway by the end of the game I only had three tactical marines left……

Conclusion

Well bitterness at wasting 2 ½ hours or so aside I did actually learn something from this battle.

First. Venerable dreadnoughts are hard and a plasma cannon is a pretty nasty armament.

Second Sternguard squad with two lascannons is quite nasty. Two sternguard killed 5 warpspiders. And I very nearly destroyed the falcon grav tank.

Three: Plasma cannons have a blast radius (obvious to everyone else). The game could have gone differently if I had shot at his nicely bunched jet bikes in my first turn with my dreadnought. I had targeted his falcon and a bystander suggested I fire at the jet bikes. I thought in the spirit of fair play I wouldn’t go for the more sensible option but stick to my original decision…(what a dunce huh?)
    The blast hit but the falcon could re-roll damage and shrugged it off.

Four Eldar characters are apparently very very hard……

Five Cover. If I had used (or indeed had had the option of) some decent cover things would have been interesting. For one thing my landspeeder would have had somewhere to hide and so would my scouts.

Six. Librarians are very vulnerable. I like librarians a lot. But I still need a good way of using them. Terminator armour might of the ancients and quickening might be good against elder in future…….

Battle Three.

By now there was only an hour of gaming left at the store so I fought a small skirmish scenario with Iron Warriors bloke (apparently called Rob).

The situation was this.

My captain was Man Down I nsome ruins and was being healed by a apocathary. They were waiting for thunderhawk extraction which would come in turn six.

There was a thin line of defences, barricades and a small defensive emplacement.

Behind this was a squad of sternguard and a dreadnought along with a chaplin and a librarian.

The Iron Warriors had a landraider, a rhino a shed load of Berserkers and a Termiantor squad.

All they needed to do was to get into base to base with the Captain and they would win. I just needed to last six turns.

Even points I don’t know but it looked very cool!

Turn 1
    I opened up at the rhino and land raider but despite two lascannons and a plasman gun no damage was caused.

The Landraider trundled forward and deposited its terminators which charged the defences and swept aside a combat squad of veterans. Before advancing into the perimeter.

On the right flank the rhino bypassed my barricades and disgorged the beserkers.

Turn 2.
    My librarian and Chaplin charged out of the ruins and into the traitor terminators hacking down 4 of them but being pulled down themselves!

On the other flank the Dreadnought charged into the Berserkers killing one but having its power fist blown off by a melta bomb in return.

My veteran combat squad peppered the land raider with fire but did no damage.

The final terminator advanced (including running) through the ruins to within a mere inch of the captain. It looked like the game could be over before it began.

Meanwhile another berserker was killed but the dreadnought was immobilised.

The landraider swept the ruins with fire and killed two veterans.

Turn 3
    My veterans turned their weapons on the terminator. A hellfire round through a vision slit brought down the hulking Iron warrior terminator.

The berserkers were still embroiled in the combat with the deadnought but could not damage it this turn.

In the Iron warriors turn another veteran went down to landraider fire while a single beserker was killed.

Turn 4

I opened up on the landraider with my lascannon but couldn’t kill it. In the Iron warriors turn the final veterans were blasted away.

It now came down to how long it would take for the berserkers to finally kill the Venerable Dreadnought.
    Turn 5-6

In the end they finally killed it in their turn six. Too late unfortunately to prevent the Thunderhawk from arriving and extracting the captain.

Conclusion.

Well this small scenario was very fun. I agreed with Rob that we should come up with another scenario next week to play. Perhaps as a prelude to a larger game.

Maybe the games will link……What secrets does the captain hold that required the sacrifice of many of the first company of the Crimson fists?

"God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Eldar game - ouch
    Looks closer to 1500, though it's hard to tell as equipment can really push the points up on the eldar.
    Guide would give one squad rerolls and a lot of stuff is/can be twin linked, though the jetbikes notably have poor range

How did he deploy second and play first? It's the same roll isn't it? Highest on a d6 can choose to go first or second, first guy picks the edge, deploys first and plays first unless the initiative is siezed. Perhaps that's just how we play it.

At least you got a decent second (well, third) game out of it, and you had credable restraint - I think I might have deep striked 'the rest of my army' in and muttered something under my breath about orbital strikes and forgeworld rules...

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

377 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    Eldar game - ouch
    Looks closer to 1500, though it's hard to tell as equipment can really push the points up on the eldar.
    Guide would give one squad rerolls and a lot of stuff is/can be twin linked, though the jetbikes notably have poor range

How did he deploy second and play first? It's the same roll isn't it? Highest on a d6 can choose to go first or second, first guy picks the edge, deploys first and plays first unless the initiative is siezed. Perhaps that's just how we play it.

At least you got a decent second (well, third) game out of it, and you had credable restraint - I think I might have deep striked 'the rest of my army' in and muttered something under my breath about orbital strikes and forgeworld rules...
    Well he deployed pretty much 2/3rds of his army as I began putting down my army. And then we rolled to see who would go first.

I have been told he never writes roster armies.

The thing is I have absolutly no problem fighting games against much larger forces but the actual objective of the game (i.e the mission) should reflect the difference in points.

Anyway the fact I couldn't understand a word he was saying didn't help.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

Bad luck with that middle game, I agree that even a game you lose by miles can be made much better if your opponent is someone you can have some good banter with (I've most certainly been there).

Sounds like you had some fun playing rest of the Iron Warriors' game, I hope Rob was happy with the result, and the third scenario sounds quite fun, it reminds me of the Rogue Trader rulebook cover - Crimson Fists love desperate last stands after all!

+ Reply to Thread