1500 SMs vs SMs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1500 SMs vs SMs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 SMs vs SMs

Trying out a drop list I posted a few weeks back, with minor changes. My opponent is my cousin who doesnt have enough models to make his own army so he used my extra SM models to create the Spare Parts chapter for this one.

I saw a few people who used screens from vassal for reports and it looked good, so I did it too

Deathstalkers (me)
    HQ - Librarian, Smite power (drops with sternguard)
    Elite - Sternguard (9), powerfist, 2x combi melta, drop pod
    Dreadnought, assaultcannon, flamer, xarmor, drop pod
    Dreadnought, multimelta, storm bolter, xarmor, drop pod
    Troop - Tactical x10, powerfist, melta, multimelta
    Tactical x10, powerfist, melta, multimelta
    Tactical x10, powerfist, plasma, missile
    Fast - Landspeeder, multimelta

Spare Parts
    HQ - Chaplain, jump pack
    Troops - Tactical x10, powerfist, melta, missile, rhino w/xarmor
    Tactical x10, powerfist, plasma, missile, rhino w/xarmor
    Tactical x10, powerweapon, flamer, missile, rhino w/xarmor
    Fast - Attk Bike, multimelta
    Vanguard x5, powerfist, relic blade, power weapon, jump packs
    Assault Squad x10, powerfist, 2x plasma, jump packs
    Heavy - Predator, auto cannon, lascannons

Annihilation, Pitched Battle, he wins inital roll and takes the first turn

The field has several wooded sections, rubble of a building, a low stone wall, and a grain-type silo. Vassal's silo graphic is massive, so I used a watch tower instead.

At setup he places the whole army in the left corner. Tacticals are mounted, vanguard in reserve.

Turn 1, Spare Parts

Basically pops smoke and sits in place. The attack bike rockets off at max speed out to the middle of the board.

Turn 1, 'stalkers

I picked two tactical squads and the melta dread to pod assault. I wanted to try and fold up the right part of his army (pred and rhino), while staying out of the assault squad range.

Dread lands on target. First tactical scatters up tight against the dread's pod. Second tactical scatters wildly out into the middle of the board.

In shooting the predator lost its right side lascannon and the rhino on the end was destroyed. The attack bike lost a wound. Not a very effective round....

Turn 2, Spare Parts

Vanguards arrive via deepstrike.

The extreme left rhino rounds the silo and its squad stays mounted. The middle rhino deposits is squad facing the pod squad in the center. The assault squad moves up behind their rhino. Vanguards attempt to land next to the other pod squad with heroic intervention. They scatter slightly, but not enough to take them out of charge range. Predator turns to face the dread. Attack bike rolls around behind the pod, out of sight of the squad.

Shooting sees the dread vanish in combination fire from the predator and tactical squad behind it. Newly dismounted tactical kills three pod marines. The attack bike pops the drop pod in the center.

Vanguards charge the pod squad closest to the table edge and only manage to kill 4 while losing 3.

Turn 2, 'stalkers

Sternguards, the remaining tactical, and the assault cannon dread show up this turn.

Sternguard land on target, lining up to hit the assault squad. The second tactical also lands on target to support them. The dreadnought scatters 12" (was intended to help with the vanguards) and ends up right by the attack bike.

Dread shoots at the attack bike and does nothing. Sternguard, librarian and new tacical kill everyone in the assault group except the chaplain and sergeant. The drop squad in the center manages one kill.

Vanguards kill another two drop marines and lose none.

Turn 3, Spare Parts

Right side rhino moves behind the sternguard and drops the squad. Center rhino retreats. Predator faces the sternguard. Tactical squad near the table edge moves up behind the predator. Attack bike runs circles around the dread, looking for a rear shot.

The only flame unit in the list lights up pretty much the whole sternguard squad. The predator and tactical squad in the center also unload on them, leaving the librarian and two marines standing. A frag missle scatters into the flamer tactical, but unfortunately for me, it doesnt kill any of them. Another drop pod is melta'd and the attack bike misses the dread.

Vanguards and the drop squad continue CC, each squad losing one model. The chaplain and remaining assault marine charge the sternguards. Sternguards (and librarian) get wiped in CC.

Turn 3, 'stalkers

Landspeeder arrives. I try land in position to attack the predator, but scatter and almost crash into the woods. I move a tactical squad into cover of the destroyed building. Dread faces the attack bike.

The dreadnought finally finishes the attack bike. My two drop squads in the center whittle down the middle tactical squad and lose a plasma gunner in the process. Landspeeder fires at the rhino (only vehicle within 12") and imobilizes it.

Vanguard continues its fight with the drop squad as another tactical marine goes down.

Battle appears to be almost decided at this point...

Turn 4, Spare Parts

Flamer squad moves up behind my tactical in cover. Squad at the table edge moves toward the middle.

Predator smokes the landspeeder. I lose a few marines in the destroyed building to the flame squad and the other that moved up from the table edge.

Chaplain, assault marine, and the middle tactical charge whats left of the drop squad in the open. Drop squad loses a few. The remaining vanguard powerfists his opponents, but is also killed by a return powerfist attack.

Turn 4 and the rest of the game

I gather the rest of my army and charge it into the combat going in the center. This combat continues and I eventually end up with 2 marines left when turns run out. A few more pods get destroyed through shooting.

Results: I think I ended up with 5 kp and he got 11.

Any advice?

Maybe the HQ needs to be swapped out with something more useful. The sternguards did a lot of damage (compared to a regular tactical) on their arrival turn, but were wiped almost immediately. Anyway, I hope I get better at manipulating things in vassal... the report took longer then the game.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems to me that his army was more mobile in his rhinos and was able to deal with your drop pods.
    You may want to consider taking the attack bike over the land speeder in future battles too. You also seem to lack an effective close combat unit, where as he had 2. Consider an assault squad of your own.
    But nice report, though the vassal pics are a bit small.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was looking at the "preview post" they came up much larger. Now they are like postage stamps. Odd.

You're right about the CC Hades. Maybe a pod assault squad or CC command squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, if you have a chaplian model, maybe drop them with an assault squad and leave out the Librarian or something; unless you think the Librarian will be more useful.
    I've never used one so I can't say how effective they would be in a drop army.

+ Reply to Thread