1500pts Grey Knights vs Eldar - "Battle For The Turnip Farm" - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

1500pts Grey Knights vs Eldar - "Battle For The Turnip Farm"

"Turnip Tempest" - Seize Ground/ Pitched Battle (4 objectives)
    Table is a big old 6x4 set up in the likeness of a farm, I got the north long table edge, the Eldar the south. A road runs from centre-west to the middle of the table and then turns off south to the middle of the Eldar table edge, the curvature surrounding a little farmhouse (ruins, 4+ cover save for models standing by the windows) with a freshly-ploughed turnip field (difficult terrain, turnips are difficult to negotiate and present a tripping hazard) surrounded by little picket fences that are painted a lovely shade of white. An area terrain forest dominates the east edge of the table with a little shrine next to it, the ruins of an old barn (4+ cover save, difficult terrain for Walkers) lie at the bottom of a little hill in the centre, and in the south-east a little runestone-looking thing stood on it's own for some reason. The farmhouse, barn ruins, runestone and western edge of the forest were our objectives.

GKs - 1500pts
    Brother-Captain w/ Psycannon & psychic hood, 4x GKT retinue w/ psycannon & Holocaust
    PAGK x7, Justicar w/ Targeter (Justicar Fred's Squad)
    PAGK x7, Justicar w/ Targeter (Justicar Paul's Squad)
    PAGK x7, Justicar w/ Targeter (Justicar Alf's Squad)
    PAGK x7, Justicar w/ Targeter (Justicar Dave's Squad)
    Dread w/ Plasma Cannon, Incinerator, extra armour & smoke ("Plasma Jim")
    Dread w/ Plasma Cannon, Incinerator, extra armour & smoke ("Hobo Bob")

Hobo Bob is Hobo Bob because I only have one Dreadnought plasmacannon, and so Hobo Bob's was hastily improvised with a big matchbox. He looked absolutely stunning.

Jetbike Eldar - 1502pts
    Two jetbike Farseers w/ Runes, Stones, Fortune, Mind War, Doom
    3 Guardian Jetbike squads (7 bikes & 2 shuriken cannons in each) led by Concealing jetbike Warlocks
    3 Vypers with Starcannons
    2 Warwalkers with 2 Bright Lances each

His Farseers joined a Biker squad each.

Everything deploys. The Eldar set up around the farmhouse, the War Walkers sitting behind the turnip field, the Vypers setting up on the road with the Farseer bike squads whilst the third tucks itself away near the runestone objective.
    I left both Dreads sitting with Justicar Fred's squad on the shrine objective and threw my Terminators and the other 3 PAGK squads as close to the barn as possible.
    The Eldar got first turn, but I stole the initiative.

GK Turn 1 - Bro-Cap McGonnigle led Dave, Paul and Alf into the barn, the Knights taking up window positions to unleash the Spam Of Doom upon the space elfs. The Terminators' six bolter shots bounced off the Vypers with no effect, but thanks to some seriously spanky shooting from Bro-Cap McGonnigle and his Psycannon-toting friend one Vyper loses it's Starcannon and another one ends up Wrecked. The PAGKs spammed and spammed as hard as their little storm-bolters would allow at the closest Guardian Biker squad; 48 shots, 30 hits, 12 wounds.... 3 casualties, a poor return, and the Farseer kept them from zooming off the table. Hobo Bob and Plasma Jim had more success; Bob's template killed two Guardians and the Warlock whilst Jim's wombled onto the crippled Vyper squadron, blowing the Starcannon off the unmolested vehicle.

Eldar Turn 1 - The Farseer in the ripped-up squad attempts to Fortune the full biker squad and is Psychic Hooded, though the second manages to get the power off, and the bikes zip towards the forest objective, turning to draw a bead on the barn squads. Much Shuriken Cannon fire is directed at Justicar Dave's squad, but the Knights stand firm despite taking a casualty. The War Walkers stride forward and open up with the Bright Lances on Hobo Jim; three shots hit him square in the face, the first and second merely wobble him, but the third.... the third destroys his mtachbox plasma cannon. Tears were shed.

GK Turn 2 - With the silly space-elfs having moved their silly space-elf bikes the shooting was not likely to go so well, so Bro-Cap McGonnigle left Alf and Paul's squads to hold the barn and led his Terminators and Justicar Dave's Grey Knights squad towards the farmhouse. The Terminators let their Psycannons go against the War Walkers, Stunning one and blowing off a Bright Lance, while Plasma Jim attempts to avenge the destruction of the matchbox but the template scatters harmlessly wide of the mark.

Eldar Turn 2 - Yet more Psychic Hooding prevents Justicar Paul's squad being Doomed, though once again the double-teaming ensures that the full biker squad get their Fortune. The Eldar zoom towards the barn and lay down a withering hail of shuriken fire upon Paul's boys from the catapult's maximum range, taking two of them down. The single functional Bright Lance took a shot at Plasma Jim, it's beam landing dead-on and blowing up my last remaining plasma cannon.

GK Turn 3 - McGonnigle and Justicar Dave continued to lead their men against the farmhouse, cautiously skirting the edge of the treacherous turnip field. Dave's lads pumped more fire into the War Walkers; five glancing hits from the bolters were enough to take off the damaged one's last Bright Lance and Stun the other (repeatedly..). The psycannons did much better, two penetrating hits enough to finally destroy the gun-less Walker and Immobilise his Stunned friend. Alf and Paul led their lads from the safety of the barn and Fred took a step away from the objective to add a few more shots to the bolter spam; to say it was ineffective would be an understatement, 44 bolter shots returning only five dead Guardians, though it thinned the numbers enough to make charging a good idea. Paul's depleted squad piled into the Farseer and his Guardian friend, wiping them out and consolidating back towards the objective. Alf's squad hit the larger squad with all they had but just couldn't get enough wounds past the Fortunate bikers to get rid, killing two Guardians but losing two Knights in the process.

Eldar Turn 3 - The last unmolested Guardian squad came roaring towards the barn in the vain hope of dislodging the Knights but were too far away to open fire. The Vyper's shuriken cannons put a wound into Paul's squad, and the Farseer's unit were wiped out in the ensuing combat phase.

GK Turn 4 - Bro-Cap McGonigle and Justicar Dave continued their implaccable advance towards the farmhouse and blew the last War Walker to hell with concerted bolter and psycannon spam. Paul and Alf stepped back into their barn.

Eldar Turn 4 - Alf's squad took a casualty from the Vypers and another two from the Guardians.

GK Turn 5 - Bro-Cap McGonnigle and Justicar Dave claimed the farmhouse and the game was called.

I'm not sure what would be worse for me; using a non-Fearless army, or using a BS3 one. Rolling fistfuls of dice for each squad and knowing you've only got a 50-50 chance to get any hits back must be a nightmare. Makes you appreciate the BS4 Stormbolters all the more.
    On the whole it was a fun game; I've never played jetbikes before and to be honest I was expecting to struggle far more than I actually did, and would probably have struggled if I hadn't been able to shoot his forces to bits without them getting their movement bonuses.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

is they grey knight list 1500? if so, then i commend your list building skills, that's one packed list!!
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

I do wonder about the list for the grey knights, even a few tanks would have really caused some problems with only 2 strength 7 shots and 3 str 6 shots in the list. The eldar list also seems a bit odd. brightlance walkers are expensive and fragile, and the farseers have large amounts of points invested in them that might have been better put into more units. It doesn't sound like the board had much in the way of LoS blocking terrain.

Stealing the initiative let you do some damage before fortune got up and running and get shots on targets in general ( the vypers come to mind ) as the eldar list can often times stay behind cover and move into shooting positions if they are not going first.

Still you kept your units in support of each other and kept your target priorites. It seems like the eldar tried to fight your whole army instead of using their speed to swamp parts of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

The first turn certainly helped a lot, as did his leaving a full squad of bikers siting in the middle of nowhere to hold the little runestone; had they gone to the barn with the rest of their mates it'd probably have gone a lot differently. Letting me assault the Farseer was probably not a good idea either, even with the rerolls he was never going to walk out of combat with a squad of Grey Knights; not much in the Eldar army list does

Quote Originally Posted by AlbinoAlien View Post
    is they grey knight list 1500? if so, then i commend your list building skills, that's one packed list!!
    Yeah, it's surprising how many Grey Knights you can fit on the table when you don't take Land Raiders. I had a whole 39 models on the table, which is, like, unheard of; my normal list has a lot less Grey Knights and 2 Land Raiders, but I was figuring on Shining Spears and Bright Lances so I thought I'd be as well just taking the Dreads.

+ Reply to Thread