New Imperial Guards - 3 Games - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

New Imperial Guards - 3 Games

Recently I played 3 games in 2 days using the new Imperial Guards.

Game 1 was 1500 vs Chaos Space Marines.

Game 2 was 1750 vs Tau.

Game 3 was 1500 vs another Chaos Space Marines.

GAME 1 - 1500

My List

HQ
    Company Command Squad - Camo Cloaks, Lascannon, Master of Ordnance, Chimera

Elite
    Inquisitor - Bolt pistol, CCW, Targeter, Emperor's Tarot, 2x Mysics

Troops
    3x Veteran Squads - Lascannon, 3x Meltaguns, Chimera
    Penal Legion

Heavy
    Medusa
    Leman Russ Executioner - Lascannon, Plasma Cannon sponsoons
    Leman Russ Punisher - Lascannon, Plasma Cannon sponsoons, Knight Commander Pask

Chaos Space Marines

This is going by memory. Some things may be a little off.

HQ
    Chaos Sorcerer - Lash of Submission
    Daemon Prince - Lash of Submission, wings

Troops
    5x Noise Marines - Blastmaster
    6x Noise Marines - Blastmaster
    Chaos Space Marine unit -Rhino, not sure what type, how many, or wargear
    Chaos Space Marine unit -Rhino, not sure what type, how many, or wargear - they never left their rhinos

Heavy
    Predator - Autocannon, Heavy Bolters
    3x Oblits

Annihilation. Pitched Battle. I won initiative.

There wasn't much terrain on the map. He deployed his 2 noise marines behind a crater (I let him use play them as 4+ cover, even though I think that they need to be in the crater to get cover). The rest of his units were mostly behind a ruin, though I did have LOS to some of them.

I deployed mine in a line with the Inquisitor in the middle, the punisher to his left, and the executioner to his right.

Turn 1
    I basically wiped out his 2 noise marine squads behind cover and destroyed the autocannon on his pred. He didn't do anything to me with his shooting (including 3 lascannons from his oblits) and basically moved everything towards me while trying to keep them behind the ruins. Basically he was going after my right flank.

IG: 2 CSM: 0

Turn 2
    I destroyed 1 rhino and immobilised and destroyed the weapon of the 2nd rhino. I also stunned his pred and wounded 1 of the oblits. He moved his disembarked CSM's inside the ruins for cover, and his Daemon Prince charged and exploded my far right chimera.

IG: 3 CSM: 1

Turn 3
    Mr Daemon, I want you to say goodnite to Mr Punisher. It wasn't a pretty sight as his DP failed about 5-6 saves and bit the dust. The Punisher didn't even have to fire its PC's and Lascannon at it.

At this point, seeing that his best chance to do damage just got blown away, and that his remaing troops had to footslog it to certain death, he conceded without finishing his turn.

IG: 4 CSM: 1

Notes
    The key to the Imperial Guards winning is to get 1st turn. That means they get 1 turn of heavy fire before the enemy gets to do anything. It can severely cripple the enemy. And the best kept secret is IMO the Emperor's Tarot (from Daemonhunters).

The Executioner and Punisher, paired with plasma cannons, are expensive but awesome. Pure carnage.

Even though I had a lot of KP's, most enemies won't have enough firepower to take advantage of it, unless they're specifically designed to fight against the guards.

When playing against guards, make sure you pick a table with lots of terrains. And I mean lots of terrains.

To be continued....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    I honestly want to know who came up with this idea... I mean really, what were they thinking? A tank weapon that fires almost two dozen times every round, with a dude inside who not only hits like a space marine, but also gets nice little rerolls against all big nasties.

I pity all Tyranid players and most Daemons who face off against the new guard >.>

Cheers on the victory, though. It's always fun to read a coherent, well-written battlereport. Also apologies for the mini-rant up there, I just sorta had to work that one outta my system

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Sorry for the long wait. This week I've played another 3 games (using 2x Daemonhunters and 1x Space Marines this time). Between that, work and BBQ's, I haven't had the time to write reports until now. Unfortunately, I've forgotten a lot already (I got 6 games in my head) so the next 2 reports will be short.

GAME 2 - 1750

My List (174O)

HQ
    Company Command Squad - Camo Cloaks, Lascannon, Master of Ordnance, Chimera

Elite
    Inquisitor - Bolt pistol, CCW, Targeter, Emperor's Tarot, 2x Mysics

Troops
    3x Veteran Squads - Lascannon, 3x Meltaguns, Chimera

Heavy
    Sqadron 1 - 2x Medusa
    Sqadron 2 - Leman Russ Executioner - Lascannon, Plasma Cannon sponsoons +
    Sqadron 2 - Leman Russ Battle Tank - Lascannon, Heavy Bolter sponsoons

Tau

This is going by memory. Some things may be a little off.

HQ
    Farsight
    5 Bodyguard Crisis - Plasma, Missile Pods, 2x Shield Drones, not sure about the other options

Elites
    3x Crisis Suits - Plasma, Missile Pods, 2x Shield Drones, not sure about the other options
    3x Stealth team - 1x Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, 2x Shield Drones, not sure about the other options

Troops
    12x Fire Warriors
    Devilfish - Smart Missiles, Disruption Pod
    12x Fire Warriors
    Devilfish - Smart Missiles, Disruption Pod

Heavy
    Hammerhead - Railgun, Smart Missile, Disruption Pod
    1x Broadsides - 2x Shield Drones
    1x Broadsides - 2x Shield Drones

Results

I thought this would be an interesting battle between probably the 2 most shooty armies in 40K.

Annihilation. Pitched Battle. I won initiative again.

Turn 1
    I destroyed his Hammerhead and a few of the shield drones with his Broadsides. It was all downhill for him after that. He didn't do anything to me with his shooting.

IG: 1, Tau: 0

Turn 2
    I wiped out half of Farsight's retinue with a big blast (they made it into cover), destroyed a Devilfish, and killed off the rest of the Broadside's shield drones. His Crisis unit deepstriked. His shooting only took out a weapon on one of my chimeras.

IG: 2, Tau: 0

Turn 3
    I took out the Crisis unit that just deepstruck, the unit of Firewarriors that disembarked after I blew up their Devilfish the previous turn, and the rest of Farsight's retinue. He managed to stun one of my chimeras and wrecked another chimera.

IG: 5, Tau: 1

Turn 4
    I kill off Farsight & 1 Broadside. His stealth team arrived from deepstrike. Unfortunately, the mystics with my Inquisitor spotted them and they ate 5 plasma cannon shots from my Executioner.

He then conceded.

IG: 8, Tau: 1

Notes
    I felt kinda bad playing him. He told me he could do 1750, but he actually only had enough models for 1500-1600. He got to 1750 by adding a lot of upgrades and such. If I had known, I'd have just played 1500 instead.

Basically this game, I just outshot him. Because of my mystics, he didn't dare Deepstrike close to my army, but his Stealth team just scattered inwards to where my mystics were able to see him.

Once again, thanks to my Emperor's Tarot, I got 1st turn.

The Executioner proved once again why I think it is the most deadly tank in the IG arsenal.

And once again, the lack of terrains did hurt him, although his tanks still got the 4+ cover because of their disruption pods.
    Last edited by jy2; May 27th, 2009 at 06:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You did get a bit lucky that you scrapped the Hammer head on the first turn...those things are known to hurt IG.

Also I personally would not take a Farsight army into that particular fight. I guess he worked with what he had.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Yeah I got a little lucky in taking out his HH, but then again firing lascannons from my BS4 vets and company command is great! Also, the Leman Russ' lumbering behemoth special rule is great. I get to fire my ordnance weapons, lascannons and plasma/heavy bolter sponsoons at the same time.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

GAME 3 - 1500

My List

Same as in Game 1

Chaos Space Marines

This is going by memory. Some things may be a little off. Also, I don't know all upgrades that his squads took.

HQ
    Chaos Lord - Mark of Khorne, Daemon weapon

Troops
    15x Nurgle Marines - Mark of Nurgle, Lascannon
    10x Beserkers - Rhino (or maybe CSM w/MoK)
    10x Beserkers - Rhino (or maybe CSM w/MoK)
    10+ Lesser Daemons (I thought he was using Bloodletters

Heavy
    5x Havoc squad - not sure what weapons
    Dreadnought - close combat
    Defiler - Battle Cannon, TL-Lascannon, DCCW

Annihilation again. Dawn of War. I won initiative again (thank you Emperor's Tarot).

Turn 1
    He only deployed his Nurgle marines and in cover on a multi-level terrain. We both forget about night fighting rules. I was only able to kill 3-4 marines. He didn't do anything with his shooting.

Turn 2
    I advanced 2 chimeras and my shooting wrecked a rhino, killed some more Nurgle marines, and stunned his dread. I rolled for my penal legionnaires and got fleet, furious charge, and counter-attack. They come in from reserves, outflanks, and just manages to assault his Havoc squad. They kill his havocs before they could even fire a single shot, while losing only 1 in the assault (yeah! 80pt guards wipe out 200pt+ marines!).

He wrecked my advancing chimera with his Defiler's battle cannon.

IG: 2, CSM: 1

Turn 3
    Things start getting bad for him. I wipe out his disembarked beserkers, his second rhino (with lord on it), and immobilise his dread. I also kill some beserkers from his 2nd squad. So far, I haven't been able to do anything to his Defiler.

His lesser daemons arrive and lands near his 2nd unit of beserkers. He runs his beserkers w/lord. He immobilises one of my chimeras and wipes my disembarked vet squad to just the lascannon heavy weapon team. They break.

IG: 4, CSM: 1

Turn 4
    When it rains, it pours. I wipe out his beserkers, chaos lord and daemons with my Executioner, Punisher and Medusa. Also, one of my lascannons finally takes out his Defiler. A very good round of shooting for me.

I also issue my very 1st order in all 3 games. Get Back in the Fight! prevents my lone lascannon guy from fleeing, thus preventing him from getting his 2nd KP.

As he can't really do anything, he concedes.

IG: 8, CSM: 1

Notes
    Plague marines in cover are really tough. I couldn't take them out with my whole army on the first turn and then with my executioner firing at them again the next turn.

So far I've been lucky to get annihilation games. So I just have to sit back as far from the enemy as I can and keep shooting. I wonder how my list would be in an objectives game.

I love the Executioner. Now I need to try to convert one of my tanks (I already got 3 plasma cannons for my sentinels) or buy the forgeworld model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

You are one lucky guy -- whats the secret?
    For get your Mr T, John Mayer leaks pure awesomeness with every note he plays.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

A few things contributed to my domination:

1) Sparse terrain. The less the better.

2) Annihilation. I don't have to move around as much so I could just concentrate on firing all my heavy weapons.

3) Mechanized. All my KP troops protected.

4) Going first.

5) I just played random people at my local GW stores (I actually went to 2 different ones - played 2 in 1 and 1 in the other). They brought their standard all-comers armies. IMO you kinda have to optimize your lists against the guards to stand a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

All hail with trumpeting! The age of guard hath cometh...and we shall know only doom
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    A few things contributed to my domination:

1) Sparse terrain. The less the better.

2) Annihilation. I don't have to move around as much so I could just concentrate on firing all my heavy weapons.

3) Mechanized. All my KP troops protected.

4) Going first.

5) I just played random people at my local GW stores (I actually went to 2 different ones - played 2 in 1 and 1 in the other). They brought their standard all-comers armies. IMO you kinda have to optimize your lists against the guards to stand a chance.

6) My opponents armies were utter crap, seriously who plays farsight tau, Double lash, and my last opponents army was so randomly full of crap to even begin.
    Edited for truth.
    Last edited by Tyrius; May 28th, 2009 at 02:22.
    My upcoming blog in the works:
    http://plasticrackminis.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast