Ard Boyz Qualifiers - 2,500 points CSM (vs. DH, CSM, Orks) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Ard Boyz Qualifiers - 2,500 points CSM (vs. DH, CSM, Orks)

I played in one of the local Ard Boyz qualifiers this weekend. I would have liked to play my daemons as I've been growing tired of my Chaos Space Marines, but the tzeentch daemons just aren't as reliable / strong as the CSM... and since this is Ard Boyz, I figured to bring my best army in the CSM.

My list...

HQ:
    Sorceror - Wings, Mark of Slaanesh, Lash of Submission, Melta Bombs
    Sorceror - Wings, Mark of Slaanesh, Lash of Submission, Melta Bombs

Elites:
    3 terminators, 3 combi-melta, 1 chain fist
    - Land Raider transport, dirge caster (I had 5 points and no dozer blade bits to add to it)

Troops:
    9 zerkers including PF champ (these guys embark in the LR on turn 1)
    9 zerkers including PF champ
    - rhino with combi-melta
    9 zerkers including PF champ
    - rhino with combi-melta
    8 thousand sons including warp time sorc, who also has melta bombs
    - rhino with combi-melta
    5 plague marines with 2 melta guns
    - rhino with combi-melta

Heavy Support:
    Defiler - Extra CCW (in place of reaper auto cannon)
    3 oblits
    3 oblits

I took my normal 2k list and converted the lash prince for a second sorc because of the Kill Points in scenario 2... just too easy to shoot him down when he can't hide in a squad for 5 points. Then I added the thousand sons, terminators, and land raider. I also dropped a few plagues and the rhino for one of the zerkers. That squad will be going in the land raider.

I forgot to keep copies of my opponent's lists, so this is from memory.

Round 1: Daemonhunters

HQ:
    Inquisitor Lord w/ Hood
    - Plasma Cannon
    - 2 Multi-Meltas
    - 2 Mystics?
    Maybe some other stuff

Grand Master w/ some upgrades
    5 terminator retinue, 1 w/TH+SS

Elites:
    5 terminators, one was a brother captain or something, 1 w/TH+SS
    1 Vindicare assassin

Troops:
    4 GK Squads all 7 strong. 1 had 2 psycannons, 1 had two incinerators

Heavy Support
    1 LRC
    1 Land Raider
    1 GK Dread, TLLC + Missile launcher

Assessment:
    I have trouble remembering daemon hunter / witch hunter lists... I've never been able to even read either of the books, I just can't bring myself to do it. I know there are a bunch of upgrades but have no idea what their names are or really even what they do. My opponent could have been lying like crazy when he revealed some special rule, I wouldn't have known better (I don't think he was, I'm just saying...). But it really doesn't matter, because the book is old and just really not that good compared to the current power lists.

Sure, GK would give my tzeentch daemons a trouncing, but they don't compare well to CSM.

He won the roll and took first turn.

Deployment:
    He put one objective right in the center of his DZ, the other on the far right. Mine were both clustered on the left.

He put one GK squad on the objective on the right, and the non-scoring inquisitor + retinue on the one in the center (not sure why). Vindicare off by himself on the far left. The center objective was flanked by LR's with terminators inside. The other three GK squads on foot were around them with the dread to the right.

I castled my vehicles on the left. Oblits on the flanks of the castle.

Game Summary:
    He started advancing to get to the center first, popping the plague marine rhino on turn 1. I immobilized his LR with the regular termi's inside. The plagues moved up and into cover, out of charge range of the regular GK's... but within 12" of his LRC. So he had two choices, back off or charge them with his terminators unless he wanted his LRC to get hit by close range meltas. He took the bait and traded his grand master + grey knights for the plagues. The LRC also got immobilized by oblits in my second turn, effectively killing all his mobility.

I then focused on everything near the center, keeping him off my objectives, since he was only keeping one troop choice back.

His grey knights kept running forward since I had firepower superiority with my LR + two squads of oblits... despite my defiler getting one shot by the first las cannon to look its way. With this, I was able to control the game with rhino mounted zerkers vs. foot mounted GK's.

His LRC ended up surviving since I just couldn't kill it even with close range meltas in the end, so no KP for that. One zerker rhino immobilized itself early putting themselves out of position and so they just sat back on an objective the entire game. The 1k sons also had their rhino immobilize itself and so babysat an objective the entire game as well.

The real work of the game was done simply by 2 zerker squads and the oblits with the plague marines as bait. They killed off both terminator squads, the grand master, 3 of the GK squads, and the dread, with the regular LR dropping to a rhino's combi-melta on the bottom of 6.

He killed off the plagues, 2 zerkers, both lasher sorcs, the defiler, 2 rhinos, and the terminators. One zerker squad and one lasher died to an unfortunate roll with with lash blocked by the P-hood and then rolling snake-eyes for their difficult terrain assault attempt. This allowed them to get shot by both LR's, the inquisitor squad, and the GK's they tried to assault... followed immediately by the GK's charging themselves. Bah.

This put him with a 1 KP lead over me, but I had 2 objectives to his 0 (my land raider moved over to his objective in the end).

Major victory with 1 bonus point (18-3).

Assessment:
    It went about as expected, considering I immobilized two of my own rhinos way back out of position. Had I been able to bring my full force to bear, I think I would have won on KP, too, for a massacre. The boards (all of them), though, just had a ton of terrain. Not big LOS blocking things, but just covered with little ridges and stuff. Made it near impossible to move vehicles without needing a dangerous test.

Round 2: CSM

HQ:
    Daemon Prince - MoN, Wings, Warp time
    Chaos Lord - MoN, Wings, Daemon Weapon, Melta Bombs

Elites:
    4 terminators - 1 heavy flamer, 3 combi-plasma, 1 power fist

Troops:
    7 plague marines - 2x plasma guns
    - rhino with combi-melta
    - rhino with combi-melta
    7 plague marines - 2x flamers
    - rhino with combi-melta

Heavy Support:
    2 oblits
    2 oblits
    Defiler

Assessment:
    CSM almost done right. He needs 2 lashes and to have all his troops in rhinos. The warp time prince is okay if you're not going to have a lasher... but the lord really should have been one. It was a theme list, but this is 'ard boyz. I figure with all of my troops in rhinos and having two lashes, I'll be able to control where the fights happen.

I won the roll and took first turn.

Deployment:
    I put a unit of zerkers on the field about 14" up in the center, waiting for the land raider to pick them up. He put a rhino with a plague squad + lord inside of it opposite me.

Game Summary:
    Nothing really worth talking about here... I brought everything together near the center of the board, he spread his forces out. I shot down his rhinos then charged him on my terms with lash. He didn't have anything he could do to stop it.

I won by massacre with 2 bonus points (22-0).

Round 3: Orks

HQ:
    Warboss on bike - all the fixins
    KFF Big Mech

Elites:
    15 Kommandos including Snikrot, 2 burnas
    12 Lootas
    10 Tankbustas including nob. 2 bomb squigs, 2? tank hammers

Troops:
    7 Nobz including a painboy with orderly. 3 had big choppas (all different), 1 had a choppa, then 2 identical pfist guys
    - Battlewagon transport w/ various upgrades
    20 slugga boyz with pf / boss pole nob
    30 shoota boyz with 3 big shootas and pf / boss pole nob
    12 trukk boyz with pf / boss pole nob
    - trukk
    12 trukk boyz with pf / boss pole nob
    - trukk
    12? grots with a slaver? Squig reroll thing

Heavy Support:
    Looted Wagon for tankbustas
    Looted Wagon with boom gun

Fast Attack:
    15 Stormboyz with pf / boss pole nob

We're on table 3, with two people ahead of us by a few points, and several close behind us.

This is someone I've played 3 times before... The first was a long time ago with my bugs vs. old codex orks, and I won that one. The last two were new codex orks vs. my Necrons. He won both of those, so I'm looking for a little payback now. My CSM matches up against him better then the crons did, so I'm hoping to take this one.. especially since the loser most likely won't be qualifying.

Assessment:
    If I can pop the battlewagons early, I'll win. If I can't, I won't. That's basically how I feel this is going to go. I am a bit concerned, though, with the board. Like all of the others, there is a LOT of terrain the board... at least in what will be my DZ. Now most of it is not very big / line of sight blocking (good for me), but it's everywhere to force dangerous checks on vehicles.

He won the roll and elected to take first turn.

Deployment:
    He chose the quarter with the least terrain, simultaneously giving me the quarter with the most. I literally couldn't deploy all of my vehicles outside of terrain if I had wanted to unless they were to be in the far back corner of my table quarter.

There was also a river practically outlining my DZ, so if I wanted to leave my DZ, I'd be taking 1-2 terrain tests per vehicle. Annoying, and it cost me.

He put his battle wagons front and center, with trukks just behind them. Warboss was hiding in the behind the BW's, too. Looted wagon with the tank bustas was behind the BW's. The boom gun wagon + lootas were on the far left, along with the storm boyz, foot bound squad, and grots. Snikrot + commandos were waiting in reserve.

There was a large terrain piece in the top-center of my DZ, so it blocked a lot of my placement. I deployed one zerker rhino to it's right to secure the objective in the quarter above me. One squad of oblits were there, too, with the other squad of oblits on the left of my DZ. This would allow at least one squad to be shooting side armor of the BW's.

The LR + 1k sons rhino were on the left of my DZ. They could threaten both the center and the objective to my left. The plagues, the last zerkers, and the defiler were in the center of my DZ as much as possible skirting the large ruin.

Here was an interesting choice. To try and Seize or not. I want to get as many shots on his transports as I can before orks are all up in my face, but it's an objective mission. Meh, I decide to try and seize and get it.

Game Summary:
    In the first turn I get some side shots with oblits and the LR on his BW's, but they are KFF'd away. The oblit squad that only sees front armor is able to pop the tankbustas' ride. As it turns out, I probably should have gone second... since he didn't just haul off towards me. He played it cautious, only moving the BW's up 7". Tankbustas immobilize the defiler in the middle of the ruins he was crawling through. He's now a battlecannon platform, but due to the terrain piece, will always be getting & giving cover from where he's at.

In the second turn, I moved my back rhino some with the 1k sons to avoid auto-hits if the kommandos arrived. I was still able to get side shots on his BW's with one oblit squad and popped the KFF/Nob one.

He wants to keep his BW's within the KFF range, so he again doesn't move flat out. A mistake that I hope to make him pay dearly for. Snikrot comes in on my left flank and assaults the 1k sons rhino, immobilizing it.

In my third turn, the oblits next to the kommandos decimate them with 3 twin linked flamers (I had 33 hits on the squad). The terminators also arrived to try and melta one of the trukks, but they scattered & were destroyed due to mishap. The other oblit squad moved within 12" of the remaining BW to multi-melta it. Plagues then jumped out of their rhino (which was the closest one) and moved forward. A lasher left a rhino and joined them to get sight on the KFF/Nob squad. He lashed them away from the BW/Trukks so that he wasn't protecting anything.

The three oblits shot three multi-meltas into the BW but all three missed. Ugh. My terminators had mishapped, too... I did have a rhino to shoot it's combi-melta into the side, but from long range: it missed. Thankfully, the LR got a side shot with a single las cannon (other was blocked by a rhino) and destroyed it.

Well, I was figuring to have all three vehicles destroyed (or at least damaged). It was a bit unlucky that it wasn't with the mishap and triple miss, but at least the BW was destroyed.

He played cautious one last turn with his trukks, I think more to try and get me to not advance than anything else... not too sure. Trukks stayed within range of the move+run of the KFF mech. And attempted to block sight to the squad by their positioning.

Meanwhile, he's moving for the left objective with his grotz squad with the storm boyz protecting them. The shoota squad is also moving slowly kinda towards that objective but not the full movement (and they started a ways back in their DZ, too).

His BW squad charge the oblits, but the oblits survive with 1 left after the klaw goes.

In turn 4, the zerker squad that was deployed next to the oblits disembarks and prepares to charge the ork squad fighting the oblits off the board. Their rhino attempts to move into a position to start tank shocking and being annoying to the trukk boyz when they are dislodged but immobilizes itself.

The LR attempts to start moving towards the left objective now that the deffrollas are down, and it's relatively safe from the ork attacks... but it immobilizes itself. Ugh, that was a big problem. That, plus the rhino immobilized by snikrot were my two squads that were planning on going for the left objective. Now I've lost all that mobility. I start a rhino shuffle with the 1k sons to get to the plague rhino, but it won't be fast enough.

I do manage to get him out of the trukks, though.

His only hope to get me off of the top right objective is his warboss on a bike. He's safe from instant-death in combat with my defiler immobilized, except for the lasher's force weapon. He charges a lasher that jumped on his own to get sight on the KFF again, but the lasher cut him down with the force weapon before he could swing. I did the math afterwards, and it was not quite a 1/5 chance for that to happen... I would have done the same move if I was him, he just got a little unlucky there.

Rest of game summary:
    After that happened, I easily held my top right objective, it was just seeing if I could get him off of his objective. Heh, had I gone second, it would have been easy with two lashers left, but that wasn't the case now.

Anyway... I tried to kill/break the grotz and then wanted to double lash the orks in the last turn. The grotz were very clumped up, but three battle cannon shots all scattered off of them. The oblits scattered two plasma cannons off, too. Then in the last turn, I had my shot. The grotz got out of sight of the defiler, but not the oblits.

Oblits opened with plasma cannons and got 12 hits, all of them wounds. There were only 10 left including the slaver, so he needed a cover save. My opponent didn't think to go to ground... but he made the 4+ anyway. I caused enough to force a morale check with him below half, but he passed that on the reroll. Ugh, hate ork leadership.

I did double-lash the orks too far from the objective, so that would have won the game by objectives for me had the grotz broken.

The end result was a minor victory for me. I had more kill points despite throwing units into the open in the last turn to try and get his grotz. So close to a massacre victory, but it wasn't to be.

The result was 13-8.

It put me at 53 battle points, which was enough to take 3rd place... qualified for the next round, where hopefully I can finish top. Hopefully the semi-final location boards will have more balanced terrain.. I sure would like to be able to move my vehicles without taking a dangerous test every time. :p

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Good job. How many people were there? Also what armies were in the top 5 places?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Thanks! And there were ~16 people there, not sure on the exact numbers. The top three were actually all CSM. I'm not sure who rounded out the top 5, but the Ork player in the third round was up near the top still. He may have been 4th?

Another store in the Atlanta area with 14-16 players had:
    #1 - Necrons (40kenthusiast)
    #2 - Orks
    #3 - Space Marines

There was one other local store hosting it that had 18 people, but I haven't heard who/what qualified there.

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Interesting. No Imperial Guard winners?

It seems like your 'Ard Boys was more well-organized than the store I went to.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280 (x6)

There was only 1 IG player at the store where I played, and he lost in the KP mission to the CSM that took overall. Not sure on the specifics of the game. I don't know how many IG players were at the other locations.

I did expect them to do well, they've a solid new book.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Congrats on the finish! Keep us posted on how you do in the semifinals.

Though I didn't get to play in the tourney this year, I went to my local circuit to watch for a while. There were a bunch of marine playes, 3 CSM's, 2 Daemons, 2 Eldars, 2 Orks, 1 Witch Hunters (illegal as that person had 3 LR's and sisters in 2 of them), and maybe 4-5 IG's. While I didn't stay to the very end, it didn't look like the Guards were doing particularly well in scenario #2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

Jeez that is one brutal looking Chaos list you have. Looks good though
    Im surprised that there very little mention of IG so far in the Ard Boyz reports-maybe people are still trying to find ''the'' tournament list given that the codex is fairly new.

Looking forward to your semi-final report.
    Currently play: 4000+ of Black Legion

+ Reply to Thread