2500pts Daemonhunters vs Daemons - 'Ard Boyz style - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

2500pts Daemonhunters vs Daemons - 'Ard Boyz style

This is my first official game against Daemons with my Daemonhunters, and I thought what better way to do it than to do it 'Ard Boyz style as I just missed it this year. And who better to play against than someone who once took home Best General in a tournament with his daemons.

Even with my Daemonhunters, I knew this game would be no cakewalk. But then again, he'd be in for a little surprise if he thought my daemonhunters were going to be a pushover. This time, he brought a different army than what he used in the tournament, but it was an intimidating army nonetheless.

So without further ado...

DAEMONHUNTERS

HQ
    Grandmaster - Destroy Daemons, Grimoire, Icon, Psycannon, Sacred Incense
    6x Grey Knight Terminators retinue - Psycannon

ELITE
    Inquisitor - 2x mystics, Tarot
    Inquisitor - 2x mystics

TROOP
    6x Grey Knights - 2x Incinerators
    6x Grey Knights - 2x Incinerators
    Veteran squad - Lascannon, 3x Meltas, Chimera w/Multi-laser + Hvy Flamer

HEAVY
    Land Raider - EA, Psycannon bolts
    Land Raider - EA, Psycannon bolts
    2x Leman Russ Punishers - 3x Heavy Bolters each

DAEMONS

Note: wargear & quantities may be slightly off.

HQ
    Ku'gath
    Keeper of Secrets - Pavane, Unholy Might

ELITE
    3x Fiends of Slaanesh
    3x Fiends of Slaanesh
    3x Bloodcrushers

TROOP
    15x Plaguebearers - Icon
    15x Plaguebearers - Icon
    20x Daemonettes
    20x Daemonettes
    20x Daemonettes

FAST ATTACK
    10x Seekers of Slaanesh

HEAVY
    Daemon Prince - Iron Hide, MoS, Pavane, Unholy Might, Wings
    Daemon Prince - Iron Hide, MoS, Pavane, Unholy Might
    Daemon Prince - Iron Hide, MoS, Pavane, Unholy Might

Mission: Annihilation
    Deployment: Dawn of War
    Initiative: Daemonhunters

Pre-game
    Uh oh...Dawn of War. Not good. That means my mystics won't be on the table to give me some anti-deepstriking defense, so I chose to go second and left everything off the table.

Terrainwise, there were 1 large terrain piece, 3 areas of jungle terrain and 3 small bunkers. We took turns placing terrain, and I put the large terrain to the side of the map. The only terrain that was really utilized was this jungle that he put in the middle of the table.

Daemon 1
    He dropped Ku'gath, 3 DP's (2 in the front, the winged DP in the back), 2 units of daemonettes & 1 unit of plaguebearers. Ku'gath and 1 daemonettes run in partial cover in the middle of the table and 1 of the DP's run into cover as well. The rest spread out.

Daemonhunter 1
    I come in, from left to right:

GM+retinue...LR (with GK's)...Inq+retinue...LR (with GK's)...2x Punishers...Inq+retinue...2x Chimeras. My GK+ret was close to 2 DP's and the chimeras were near the right corner away from most of the daemons so far.

My shooting put 4 wounds on Ku'gath and slaughters about 7-8 daemonettes (they were in cover).

Daemon 2
    KoS, Bloodcrushers, seekers, & 1 plaguereapers drop in. KoS on the left side of the table with my GM, plagues in the middle, and crushers/seekers on the right with my chimeras. Everyone moves closer except Ku'gath, who stay in cover. 1 DP pavanes my GKT's and brings them forward, but
    none are able to assault yet. Ku'gath fires his necrotic missiles and kills 1 GK Terminator.

Daemonhunter 2
    I advance my GM+ret and my chimeras 6". Everyone else just fires. The Punishers drop Ku'gath only. My GTK's assault the only unit within range, the plaguebearers, killing 7 plus another 1 to No Retreat (damn FNP...he made a lot of them while rolling for No Retreat). I'm beginning to see why people hate FNP so much now. I was hoping to wipe them out, but because of it, my knights are now stuck and within assault range of 1 DP, 1 unit of daemonettes and the KoS next turn!

DH: 1, Daemons: 0

Daemon 3
    Daemonettes and 1 unit of fiends land. Daemonettes land in the back and fiends up front near my GM+ret. Everyone does the daemon shuffle once more. Wounded daemonette unit is within range and assaults the Inq+ret closest to my GM, wiping them out. DP, KoS and daemonettes charge my GM+retinue and wipe them out while losing 3 more plagues to my GM's attack.

DH: 1, Daemons: 4

Daemonhunter 3
    My LR's tank shock the wounded daemonette squad to line them up real nice for my GK incinerators. 1 squad of GK's then disembark and incinerates them, wiping them out. My Punishers drop the winged DP advancing their way. My LR's put a couple of wound on the KoS with their invuln-ignoring heavy bolters (I moved them over 6" so was only able to fire 1 weapon), and 3 chimeras, 6 meltas (3 were not quite in range) and 2 lascannons were only able to kill 1 bloodcrusher.

DH: 3, Daemons: 4

Daemon 4
    His last unit of fiends doesn't come in yet. He shuffles all his daemons. Seekers, with their 12" assault range, charges and wipes out the the Inq+ret close to the chimeras. Squad of 15 plagues just barely manages to assault my disembarked knights, killing 1 while losing 1 and tying them up in combat (only about half were able to assault). His KoS assault 1 LR and the DP's assault the other. They both manage to destroy 1 weapon each (the heavy bolters) and shake them (due to extra armor).

DH: 3, Daemons: 6

Daemonhunter 4
    I disembark 1 of my vet squads to shoot the bloodcrushers, while all 3 chimeras went after the seekers. My LR tank shocks both DP's, making sure to move over 6" and the other tank shocks the KoS, also moving over 6". All 3 monstrous creatures just move out of the way. I believe my LR's put another wound on the KoS with their lascannons. My Punishers wiped out the unit of fiends moving towards them, and I was also able to wipe out the seekers with my 3 chimeras and 1 vet squad shooting. My other 2 vet squads managed to take down another bloodcrusher. My knights remained stuck in cc, killing another plague.

DH: 5, Daemons: 6

Daemon 5
    Finally, his last unit of fiends come in, and he places them near his plagues w/icon. Bloodcrushers charge the disembarked vets. I scared him when my vets rolled 2 6's to wound, but he passed both saves. He wins combat and proceeds to sweep them. His daemonettes are within range and charges my knights locked in combat with his plagues, wiping them out...that's 80 rending attacks on the charge for them! The 2 DP's assault 1 LR, destroying a lascannon, and his KoS manages to explode my other LR with a unit of knights in them. Luckily, none are wounded in the explosion.

DH: 5, Daemons: 9

Daemonhunter 5
    Uh oh...things aren't looking too good with me down 4KP's and with this possibly being the last turn. Luckily, 1 of his squad of 20 daemonettes are bunched up pretty close to each other and my disembarked GK's happened to be very close to them, so I move my knights around his KoS to shoot at them. Between the stormbolter shots and 2 incinerators, I manage to wipe out his entire squad of daemonettes. My Punisher takes down the squad of fiends which just landed, and my vets/chimeras finally managed to shoot down his last bloodcrusher. Talk about resiliency! His BC's lasted through 3 rounds of shooting from 3 vet squads! I also managed to shoot down his KoS, who only had 1 wound left due to previous shootings. Very good shooting for me on this turn.

We roll, and the game continues.

DH: 9, Daemons: 9

Daemon 6
    His last squad of daemonettes are in range and assaults my GK's, wiping them out. Both DP's assault the lone LR, but luckily for me, they don't do anything to it. Plagues are close to my Punishers but can't do anything to them.

DH: 9, Daemons: 10

Daemonhunter 5
    My Punisher shoots at a DP but only deals 3 wounds! Uh oh, I need to kill him or I've lost. Then my LR pulls through for me in the clutch with its last remaining lascannon, wiping out the DP. The vets/chimeras shoot at the plagues, but they don't go down fast enough (meltas weren't within range).

We roll and this time, the game ends.

DH: 10, Daemons: 10

Post-game Summary
    If we were doing the scoring 'Ard Boyz style (HQ = 5KP's, Elites, FA, Hvy = 2KP's), it would have been:

DH: 24, Daemons: 17

But in all fairness, this wouldn't have been his 'Ard Boyz list.

Dawn of War really hurt me, as it didn't let me use my mystics to full effect. Bascially, they were useless in this game...worse than useless as they gave away 4KP's...when they should have been my secret anti-daemon weapons.

I also made a huge mistake. With my Rites of Exorcism, I figured that my GM+ret would attack first if charged by any daemons. What I didn't factor in was slaanesh units having aura of aquiescence, as it was ruled that they do overcome my rites.

My MVP was definitely my Punisher tanks. They dropped Ku'gath, 2 units of fiends and the winged DP and put 3 wounds on another DP, all without so much as a scratch on them.

This time the daemons survived me. Next time, they won't be so lucky. Heh, heh...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Bloody game! Sounds like it was tense and fun to play.

Nice batrep.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like an awesome game but one question!

how did u manage to use veterans? They are not included in our codex unfortunately so ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Monodominant View Post

how did u manage to use veterans? They are not included in our codex unfortunately so ...
    The 'Ard boys actually made an effort to update old rules so allow vets, any LR variant and either type of sentinals.

Sounded like a really fun game! Rematch?

PL
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Monodominant View Post

In the 'Ard Boyz tournaments, DH/WH armies can induct vet squads, 0-1 regular or armoured sentinels and 0-1 leman russ squadron as long as they still follow the rules for induction in their codices (i.e. must take 2 inducted troop choices before they can take inducted fast attack or heavy).

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix Lord View Post
    The 'Ard boys actually made an effort to update old rules so allow vets, any LR variant and either type of sentinals.

Sounded like a really fun game! Rematch?

PL
    Possibly. Not sure what army he will use next time we play, but I'm up to giving his daemons another go.

+ Reply to Thread