2k Necrons Vs. Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2k Necrons Vs. Eldar

So this is my first attempt at doing a battle report and I am doing it from memory from yesterday so forgive me if its not perfect.

At the end of an escalation league using terrain tiles from the Planetary Empires expansion I had 6 Tiles, Space Marines at 5, Eldar at 3, Chaos at 3, and IG at 2. Our store is rather small and the battles where on a Wednesday so not all codex's where represented. Tau had actually been kicked off the Planet the week before but had 3 players. Eldar controlled the main Hive City tile in the middle of the Planet so I had challenged them for the tile.

The battle was a 2k Planet Strike with Necrons assaulting and Eldar defending. We also had only 2 hours to play because the Eldar player could not make it into the store any sooner. So we did have to end the game after only 4 turns vice 5 or 6. This was played on a 4 x 6 table.

My List
    - Necrons -
    HQ - Nightbringer
    Elite - Pariahs 5
    Elite - Immortals 10
    Elite - Flayed Ones 10
    Troop - Warriors 11
    Troop - Warriors 10
    Fast Attack - Wraiths 3
    Fast Attack - Destroyers 5
    Heavy Support - Monolith 1
    Phase out - 12

- Eldar - Estimated because I don't have his list
    HQ - Maugan RA
    HQ - Eldrad Ulthran - Warlock Body Guard 3 / Wave Serpent
    Elite - Striking Scorpions 10
    Elite - Fire Dragons 6 / Wave Serpent
    Troop - Dire Avengers 10
    Troop - Pathfinders 5
    Heavy Support - Dark Reapers - 3
    Heavy Support - Wraith Lord - 1
    Heavy Support - Fire Prism - 1

- Campaign Bonuses from captured territory -
    Necrons:
    1. 11 necron warrior squad at T5
    2. Free Aegis Defense deployment
    3. Monolith boosted to 12" movement (insane I know)
    4. Str 10 Ap 1 Orbital Bombardment - 1
    Note: I had these bonuses from capturing so many tiles.

Eldar:
    1. Dire Avenger Squad at T4

- Setup -
    There were two objectives, one was a bastion and the other was the skyshield landing pad. The bastion was centered and about 14" from my left table edge. The skyshield was also centered but about 14" from my right table edge. There were also two hills centered on each of our table edges with mine having a ruined building and the other having a forest.

Defense - The Eldar setup Maugan RA with Dark Reapers in the Bastion and put the Dire Avengers in the front of the bastion protected by Aegis Defense lines. The skyshield contained the Wave Serpent with Eldrad and the Wraith Lord. Pathfinders setup in the trees near the defenders table edge.

Fire Storms - 1d6 +2. I got very lucky with the fire storms and rolled a 6. Using the first 4 firestorms I was able to destroy the weapons on the wave serpent. I then attempted to at least stun the Dark Reapers inside the bastion with the next 4 but failed to do anything to it. 2 of the storms scattered off into nothing. 1 of them hit but failed to glance. The other scattered forward into the Dire Avengers killing 3 of them, not a total waste.

Necrons Turn 1 - I roll for all of my units with all of them coming in except for the Destroyers, Wraiths, and 10 man warrior squad. I did not want to deep strike anything but decide to outflank with the flayed ones.
    I roll for my outflank and get a 4, exactly on the side I didn't want them to go, the skyshield. They are next to a wraithlord and eldrad on top of the skyshield instead of on the side where they could have wrecked the pathfinders or dire avengers. I now decide to use them as bait. I did run them 6" closer to the skyshield.
    I also deployed my Aegis Defenses about 10" in for plenty of cover for my entering offensive units.

I enter my Necron Warriors on the far left side their full 6" in from the table edge. They could not make it to cover and would not be within range to fire. Parallel to the Bunker I enter my Monolith with the Nightbringer right behind. I also position my Pariahs with the Nightbringer. On the right side of the table I enter my Immortal squad to give cover fire to my Flayed Ones.

Shooting:
    Monolith - Fires at the Bunker and scatters 4 inches diagonally towards the dire avengers. The center eye is still over the corner of the bunker and hits at full strength. I roll a 5 against the bunker and glance it. Rolling a 6 on the table subracting 1 because of the AP 1 boost, the bunker is wrecked. Nice break for me on the first turn. The blast also kills another 3 Dire Avengers leaving that squad near useless at 4.
    Immortals - Fire all shots into the Wraithlord causing 3 wounds with 1 breaking through its armor.

Eldar Turn 1 -

Both the Fire Prism and the Fire Dragons in a Wave Serpent (WS) come into play from the Defenders board edge. The Striking Scorpions fail to come in.

Movement -
    (WS) Dragons move the full 24" next to the bunker. The Fire Prism goes to help the skyshield.
    The Wraithlord climbs down the skyshield to flame the flayed ones. (WS) Eldrad moves to the opposite side of the Skyshield away from the Flayed Ones.
    Eldrad -
    Dooms the Flayed ones and Fortunes the Wraith Lord.

Uses their Planet Strike tactic which is a drop shield that blocks all infantry from crossing. This shield is placed around the front of the bunker and hardly scatters. This will make crossing it impossible unless I walk around or teleport with the monolith.

Shooting -
    Maugan RA and the Reapers shoot at the Necron Warriors taking down 4 of them. Dire Avengers Blade Storm taking down one more. Pathfinders are not in range to shoot.

Fire Prism uses a dispersed blast and kills 4 Flayed ones. Wraithlord flames the flayed ones hitting 6 of them and killing 4 more. I love my saving throws.

No assaults and my units pass their LD tests including Pinning checks.

Necron Turn 2
    My Destroyers, Wraiths, and remaining Necron Warriors all come in.

WBB -
    3 of the 8 Flayed ones stand back up.
    2 of the 5 Warriors stand back up, I am less than pleased.

Movement -

My Monolith moves 12" to the right of the bunker across the shield wall in the middle of the table. I use this to teleport my necron warrior squad across about 6" away from the bunker.
    The Nightbringer advances forward to take out the last of the Dire Avengers.
    Pariahs go onto the hill in the ruins since they cannot cross the shield wall.
    Destroyers move onto the right side of the hill on the right side of the table.
    Wraiths turbo boost right next to the monolith in the middle of the table.
    Warrior squad moves behind Destroyers and Immortal squad advances 3"
    The remaining 5 flayed ones move onto the skyshield.

Shooting -

Monolith unloads flux arcs into the reapers killing none and the avengers killing 1. Out of range of the Pathfinders by 2 inches.
    Warriors rapid fire into the reapers killing 2 out of the 3, no wounds to Maugan RA.
    Pariahs fire into the Reapers killing the last one and wounding Maugan RA once.
    Wrecking the bunker to expose the reapers first turn really helped me kill an important squad.

On the right side of the field the Destroyers fire into the WS Eldrad and penetrate causing an explosion result. No one inside was injured.
    The immortals fire into Eldrad's unprotected squad and with 10 immortals it was not difficult causing 2 wounds per model. All warlocks die leaving Eldrad standing alone.

Assault

Nightbringer assaults the avengers and slaughters them. I know its overkill to use him this way but he was originally going to wreck the bunker and I wanted to use the avengers to move him forward. I keep him out of LOS from the snipers using the bunker.

Eldar Turn 2
    Striking Scorpions enter play and flank on the side of the Skyshield towards the flayed ones. Yes my flanking unit got outflanked, no laughing.

Movement -

WS with Dragons move over near the monolith and warriors, unloads the dragons.
    Scorpions run closer to the shield (I know running is in the shooting phase I just put it here to make it easier)
    Eldrad Fortunes himself and dooms the Flayed ones again.

Shooting -

Pathfinders fire at the warriors next to the monolith with T5 and drop 2 with their AP1 possible shooting.
    The Dragons attempt to glance the monolith and fail miserably.
    Wave Serpent shooting into the the warriors causing another to drop.
    Maugan RA shoots into the Nightbringer but fails to wound.
    Fire Prism shoots a focused blast into the Monolith but also fails to even glance it.
    Wraithlord flames the flayed ones killing 2 and Eldrad kills 1 with Eldritch Storm leaving 2 flayed ones alive.

My warriors fail their LD test and run right into the shield wall dieing instantly.

Assaults -
    Eldrad and the Wraithlord finish the off the Flayed Ones.
    The Dragons charge the Monolith but again fail to do anything to it. The Monolith laughs at Melta.

Necron Turn 3 -
    I activate my Planet Strike ability Sustained Assault and re-enter my previously dead 11 man warrior squad from the portal, yeah I am a jerk.

Movement -
    My wraiths move up next to the path finders for assault range, poor pathfinders.
    Monolith moves closer to the Skyshield so that I can quickly change that side of the battle field in my favor.
    Pariahs move closer to the Skyshield and the Immortals move closer as well.
    Nightbringer moves next to Maugan RA to say hello.

Shooting -

Nightbringer shoots and fails to hit Maugan RA
    Pariahs lay into the Dragon squad killing 2 and the Warriors that I brought back from the dead rapid fire into them for the kill.
    I drop my Orbital Bombardment into the Striking Scorpions but scatters killing only 2.
    Both the Destroyers and Immortals fire everything into the Scorpions killing 2 more plus their Exarch and wounding a character in the squad. I cannot remember who it was. But the squad was down to 6, still deadly but much more manageable.

Assaults -

Wraiths assault the Pathfinders killing 3 and running down the fleeing 2, no surprise there.
    Nightbringer deals 2 wounds into Maugan RA finishing him off since he already had a wound from earlier shooting.

Eldar Turn 3 -

Movement -
    The wave Serpent on the left side moves next to the bunker as a last ditch effort to contest.
    Eldrad holds still and fortunes the scorpions and himself.
    Wraithlord moves off the skyshield to assault the monolith.
    Scorpions run towards the Immortals.

Shooting -
    Not much left now but the Wave Serpent manages to wound the Nightbringer with a Lance Shot.
    Fire Prism fails to even hit the Monolith this turn.
    An Eldritch Storm is casted onto the Immortals and kills one, they pass their Pinning test.

Assault -
    The Wraithlord manages to score two hits onto the monolith but again failed to glance. I love living metal and the Eldar player's lack of Haywire grenades made it easy for me to move the monolith without worry.

Necron Turn 4

Movement -
    The Wraiths and Nightbringer surround the Wave serpent.
    Monolith moves onto the Skyshield
    Warriors move away from the Wraithlord
    Immortals back up away from the advancing scorpions.
    Pariahs move closer to the Immortals

Shooting -
    The Nightbringer fails to hit the wave serpent.
    Destroyers shoot into the Wraithlord causing another wound taking him down to 2.
    Pariahs and Immortals shoot everything into the striking scorpions, with 30 str 5 shots even fortune could only keep 3 alive including the character.
    Monolith Particle whips the Fire Prism penetrating and destroying its weapon.

Assaults -
    Wraiths and Nightbringer assault the Wave Serpent. The wraiths score a glance & a penetrating result. Main weapon is destroyed and crew shaken.
    Nightbringer scores only one penetrating hit but I roll a 6 making it more than enough to take it out. The entire left side of the board is now Necron controlled.

Eldar Turn 4

Movement -
    The Wraithlord moves back onto the skyshield to assault the monolith again. Scorpions move closer to the Immortals and are just out of assault range, not having fleet sucks for them.
    Eldrad uses his fortune on him and the the scorpions, only thing keeping them alive now.

Shooting -
    Scorpions shoot but fail to do any damage to the tough Immortals, pistols suck no matter the army.

Assault -
    The only thing the Eldar player could do was go for the Monolith and attempt a tie by blowing it up since I had nothing else contesting the skyshield.
    Wraithlord gets into assault but again could only score one hit on the Monolith, gets a glance, and destroys a weapon. No big deal. The reason he couldn't hit the Monolith in close combat was because it could move at cruising speed with the campaign special ability and I used this to my advantage the whole match.

Overall the Eldar was not prepared enough to deal with many of my special units including the Nightbringer, Immortals, and most importantly the Monolith. The Wraiths didn't do as much damage as they normally do but what I did use them for in their 2 turns was exactly what I needed them to do. I also tricked the Eldar player into putting a lot of fire into a warrior squad that I put in the way and then brought back to life using my planet strike stratagem. The Eldar would really not have benefited from another turn so my opponent didn't mind us having to end early.

Eldar's remaining forces where
    Eldrad - Unwounded
    Wraithlord - 2 wounds.
    Scorpions - 3 Survivors with the special char taking a wound
    Fire Prism - Main weapon destroyed

My forces where pretty much unharmed except for the lost Flayed squad
    Nightbringer with 4 remaining wounds
    5 Pariahs
    9 Immortals
    11 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    5 Destroyers
    3 Wraiths
    1 Monolith

It was a pretty good game even though it was a pretty decisive victory for the Necrons. He will most likely get revenge against me with his Dark Elf Fantasy army this weekend so we will see.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Pretty easy to read although I kind of skimmed it, Planet Strike bores me to tears. I'd like to see a report of a regular game personally, keep it up.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Eldar list seems very odd, a Phoenix Lord ( maybe two as the scoprions have no models with multiple wouns so it could have been karrandas ( sp?) leading them ), only 3 warlock bodyguards, only 1 prism. Also the monolith is one of the hardest models for eldar to deal with as their only real weapons to deal with AV 13/14 depend on tricks ( melta and lance rules ) that the monolith doesn't allow. Still good job on the win, and was nice and easy to read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Karrandas was indeed the character that was leading the scorpions, I'm almost positive. As for the Fire prisms. I asked him why he didn't use two because a twin-linked str 10 shot would have easily immobilized the monolith at the very least if left alone. He told me he does not have 2 fire prisms and forgot to make points room to give his fire dragons the tank hunter special rule to even have a chance with engaging the Monolith.

He really shot himself in the foot for dealing with the monolith but his wraithlord still had a chance if he had only rolled better. It only takes one good hit more often than not. And personally I think swooping hawks would have also caused some major havoc with their haywire grenades, and make a great alternative for people who do not have multiple fire prisms.

My main complaint with his list was that counting 2 Phoenix Lords and Eldrad, more than 25% of his army was in characters alone, and only Eldrad really did anything in the battle that mattered. Fortune on the Wraithlord to keep it alive and dooming the flayed ones to kill them in 2 turns vice 3 or more. The two Lords at more than 400 points did almost no damage and felt like a major points sink. I only spent 360 with one special character which I utilized a great deal and easily made the points back.

He made several other major mistakes that cost him that battle but one of them was indeed underestimating the damage and support that a single monolith can bring to a Necron force. If he had destroyed it, I am confident I still would have won, but I definitely would have needed more than 4 turns to take the skyshield.

Also thank you for your compliments on my battle report. I tried to make it as easy to read as possible so if people enjoy it I will try to take pictures in the future and include both wins and losses in my games. Any criticism and compliments are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: one ≠ won......I'm an idiot.....Hopefully no one noticed before I changed it
    Last edited by Prouncer; October 3rd, 2009 at 17:21.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    234 (x3)

taking the night bringer was a good idea. i believe it to be one of the best models in the game. good report on the whole though keep it up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see you are leading with your necron army

But really lets take a look at the awfull list of your opponent

HQ - Maugan RA
    Tell the guy to put it in a box, and NEVER EVER take it out again
    Only 3 Warlock body guard? tell him to put it with the fire dragon, and drop the warlock, and the wave for 4 fig
    They are good........but NOT, agaisnt necron, take a full squad of banshee(10), put it in the wave that just free up with eldrad
    make a full 10 man squad, and put them with eldrad, and watch them melt warrior
    Troop - Dire Avengers 10
    Using a save maker agaisnt necron is just bad, even more at this point cost, take a squad of 15 guardian, with a platform(missile launcher) and a warlock with emboldmen and you got yourself a way better squad
    Troop - Pathfinders 5
    Only good thing in the list, tell him to take that instead of dire avanger, he could have taken 3 squad of these and 1 turn that nightbringer(not joking)
    For the point cost, reaper are Not good at all, take 3 platform with D-Cannon, or an other prism, I can tell you, a 12" moving monolith..... will respectfully move sideway, leaving most of your army unharmed
    Can be good, to protect your rear from Deep striking or teleporting stuff, stick him with the 15 guardian
    Take 2 or none.....make jesus cry

So bassicly, This eldar army list is PLAIN wrong from side to side, tried to take some fluff stuff that is just bad. In this list, you have at least 800 point that are plain wasted .... and 1200 point agaisnt a really good 2000 point necron list (exept maybe the pariah ) is a turn 0 win for the necron

But ..... hopefully the game was fun , bare the obvious steamroll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valadeya View Post
    Nice to see you are leading with your necron army
    Thanks I ended up having 7 tiles by the end with Space Marines at 5 coming in 2nd place. I did play more than just Eldar to get those tiles as well.

HQ - Maugan RA
    Tell the guy to put it in a box, and NEVER EVER take it out again
    I was pretty disappointed with the performance of Maugan RA overall. His weapon sucks, his warrior powers are way too weak to make him a Phoenix Lord, and overall he just isn't worth his points cost.

Only 3 Warlock body guard? tell him to put it with the fire dragon, and drop the warlock, and the wave for 4 fig
    Agreed, the 3 warlocks only added to Eldrad's life bar and did nothing else.

They are good........but NOT, agaisnt necron, take a full squad of banshee(10), put it in the wave that just free up with eldrad
    These things can kill Necron pretty damn fast and with their 3+ armor they are tough to take down. If they just were not so damn slow though I wouldn't be able to kite them so easily. Basically, if it doesn't have fleet, don't bring it to a table with crons.

make a full 10 man squad, and put them with eldrad, and watch them melt warrior
    Agreed, I love fire dragons, and I wouldn't bring an army to the table without a full squad against MEQ.

Troop - Dire Avengers 10
    Using a save maker agaisnt necron is just bad, even more at this point cost, take a squad of 15 guardian, with a platform(missile launcher) and a warlock with emboldmen and you got yourself a way better squad
    I've seen Dire Avengers used against crons and made very deadly, but they also had an Autarch and Farseer backing them.

Troop - Pathfinders 5
    Only good thing in the list, tell him to take that instead of dire avanger, he could have taken 3 squad of these and 1 turn that nightbringer(not joking)
    I actually love when people take several squads of these since I kill them so damn quickly. The player I went up against has seen me kill 3 squads of these in just 2 turns and knows not to bring them unless they are well defended.
    Not that Pathfinders are weak, they are one of my favorite units. It's just that I have yet to see anyone in my store put them in a place that they can defend them with stronger units properly.

For the point cost, reaper are Not good at all, take 3 platform with D-Cannon, or an other prism, I can tell you, a 12" moving monolith..... will respectfully move sideway, leaving most of your army unharmed
    Can be good, to protect your rear from Deep striking or teleporting stuff, stick him with the 15 guardian
    Dark Reapers are only good if you can keep them from getting shot at. They can do A LOT of damage hidden in a bunker. But once they are exposed they die way too quickly for their points. They are not useless, just rarely used properly. 3 platforms with D-cannons do pwn though, no argument there.
    Wraith Lords are indeed great for protecting back lines, maybe even to help protect those Pathfinders that seem to die so easily.

Take 2 or none.....make jesus cry
    He didn't have 2, and it showed how weak only 1 can be. Very very weak indeed.....

So bassicly, This eldar army list is PLAIN wrong from side to side, tried to take some fluff stuff that is just bad. In this list, you have at least 800 point that are plain wasted .... and 1200 point agaisnt a really good 2000 point necron list (exept maybe the pariah ) is a turn 0 win for the necron

But ..... hopefully the game was fun , bare the obvious steamroll
    I don't think the Eldar list was completely unplayable, but some modifications where definitely needed. The Striking Scorpions where put in a very bad place and to many of the units where only at 50% size when they should have been full squads. At 2k points, there isn't any excuse why someone shouldn't field larger squads rather than a bunch of small ones.

Pariahs actually did serve a purpose in that list and made their points back. They provided me the same firepower that Immortals give me and they also lower leadership which Eldar is susceptible to. I already had 10 Immortals so I really didn't need 5 more. And the only thing the Pariahs replaced in my standard list was a squad of Heavy Destroyers which I did not need and would have been a points waste in that match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mostly agree with you except about the pathfinder , with infiltrator, and move trough cover, you can make sure to deploy them, or have them first turn in a spot where you will have a good line of sight, and more importantly a 2+cover save ( 4+ from cover go +2 from pathfinder rules, they have a 5+ in open field ....) only problem might be taking leadership test ... so its more a question of deployment than anything and 15 of them ... would cost 360 points, and if you put them with objective, they become very mean

ya, I play eldar myself, and even if they are rarely spoken of, D-Cannon platform are the best artillery in the game, because everything under the template, kill tank, not only the center .... and not talking about AP2, wound on 2+, autokill on 6 and most ppl dont understand that they are god awfully hard to kill from shooting ( read the "hit" repartition rules) I wouldnt leave home without 3 of them....and tell my opponent .... Do you really want to come to my objectives

One other unit that would do better than the dire avanger agaisnt crons are storm guardian (11+1 warlock)..... doom, disembark, triple flame, and charge ..... normally that a dead squad ( 3 flamer plate, 9 pistol shot, charge with 33 attack that reroll to wound...)and take advantage of them being fearless .....(I had such a squad take down a marine + vulcan!!!! squad after the charge)

2 Fire prism would also been a world of pain .... 5"plate str6 ap 3, reroll scatter? (at less cost than the reaper+mogan)

Tell him , for his small squad he could also try falcon .... they are amazing strategic vehicule, when used properly
    (harder than a land raider to take down, 2 shuriken cannon + laser when needed, transport 6... fire dragon.... contest objective extremly fast)

But , my opinion mainly stand , he played a unplayable army, and , made a lot of strategic error(imo) ....

+ Reply to Thread