Tau vs. Tyranids 750 11-1-09 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau vs. Tyranids 750 11-1-09

Being our first "official" battle with scenery and everything, my friend and I decided to play a quick game.

For rolling with deployment setup etc... we got capture and control and pitched battle. I won the roll to go first. Here are the lists

Tau

HQ
    Shas'o
    TL Fusion blaster
    Plasma rifle
    HW multi
    HW drone controller w/ shield
    Stimulant injector

Elites
    Crisis monat
    TL missile pod
    Flamer

Stealth team
    2x shas'ui
    1x team leader
    HW drone controller w/ gun drone

Troops
    11x shas'la
    1x shas'ui
    bonding knife

11x shas'la
    1x shas'ui
    bonding knife
    HW multi tracker
    HW target lock
    markerlight.

Heavy support
    Hammerhead
    Railgun
    burst cannons
    Disruption pods
    Multitracker.

Tyranids

HQ
    Hive Tyrant
    Winged
    TL devourers
    Scything talons
    Warp field
    The horror
    +str
    +int
    +WS
    +toughness

3 Warriors
    All with scything talons
    one with barbed strangler one with rending claws and one with like a venom cannon or something.
    +str
    +BS
    +WS
    +SV
    ?

Troops

8 Gaunts
    WON
    8 Hormaguants
    +SV
    +str

8 Genestealers
    +SV
    Feeder tendrils
    +str
    scything talons and rending claws

Carnifex
    2x scything talons
    +SV
    Extra wound
    Toughness 7
    +WS
    Tusked
    Mace tail

He probably had a bit more stuff but that sounds right.

Onto the battle!

Before the battle he wanted to try and steal the initiative and rolled a 6. Luckily I placed most of my guys in cover.

For a general idea of where we placed stuff relative to where I was sitting, on the left my friend had a group of gaunts and a squad of warriors, in the middle he had a carnifex and genestealers and on the right his objective a hive tyrant and hormagaunts.

On the other hand I had my stealth squad and the deathrain suit on the left, my commander and firewarriors guarding the objective in the middle, and on the right the other squad of fire warriors and a hammerhead.

Tyranid turn one: First turn he moved stuff up getting ready to assault next turn with the hive tyrant and hormagaunts. The warriors also tried to shoot at my stealth squad, and rolled a 5 total, out of spotting distance whew. the tyrants decided to run instead of shooting everything else ran. No assault.

Tau turn one: moved everything to get better line of sight hammerhead moved up as did the firewarriors who targeted the tyrant. Commandertried to get LOS to the tyrant. The other fire warriors stayed put. One crisis suit moved up to try and flame the stealers. In the shooting phase I had the crisis suit, fire warriors, and hammerhead target the stealers and when the dust cleared there were still 5 left WTF? The stealth team put two wounds on the warriors and the fire warriors and the right side were out of rapid fire range. In the assault phase my deathrain tried to get atop the landing pad and took a wound due to dangerous terrain. The steath team went into a forest and the commander hid behind a rock.

Tyranid turn two: everything moved up and the termagaunts were now in range. The tyrant could now assault the hammerhead with five attacks. the genestealers were one turn away from attacking the fire warriors and the carnifex moved up a bit. The hormagaunts would be in assault next turn. The termagaunts rolled to see if they could spot the stealth team and made it, the could shoot with only 3... and every one of them missed. The warriors tried to spot the stealth team again but couldn't with a roll of 4. the tyrant ran and stopped one inch away from the hammerhead. The hormagaunts then assaulted the firewarriors.(Stupid 12 in. charge range) the genestealers also charged the commander.
    In assault the tyrant rolled two 6's to hit and blew the hammerhead up killing two hormagaunts and one fire warrior. the hormagaunts then took out 4 fire warriors and the fire warriors killed 1 in retaliation.the genestealers ended up killing the shield drone and put on wound on my commander, my commander ened up killing two.

Tau turn two: The stealth team jumped out and with the combined firepower of the deathrain suit, killed the warriors. the squad of fire warriors stayed put and tried to wound the carnifex, they succeded! In assault the Genestealers didn't do anything and my commander killed one, only three left. the fire warriors had another round of combat killed maybe one on each side.

Tyranid turn three: The tyrant started to move over to try and get over to the middle to help shoot but nothing eventful happened. The genestealers put one more wound on the commander. The gaunts failing their leadership ran towards the Tyrant. The carnifex was one turn away from attacking the fire warriors

Tau turn three: The fire warrior team on the right passed their leadership and consolidated into rapid fire range of the hormagaunts. The stealth team came closer to the carnifex and tried to shoot but was out of range. the fire warriors decided it was time to help their commander and charged into the three genestealers. The deathrain suit started making its way towards the open tyranid objective. The fire warrior team on the right then killed every hormagaunt. During the assault phase the genestealers killed a couple fire warriors and the combined efforts of the fire warriors and commander killed the genestealers, but the carnifex was now in charge range of the fire warriors.the stealth team moved towards the commander ready to take the carnifex out, the deathrain suit stayed put.

Tyranid turn four: the tyrant ended up moving towards the fire warriors on the right about 3 inches away. The carnifex charged forward into the firewarriors. In the tyrants comabt every fire warrior died, but two survived the carnifex assault, still fleeing, and luckily not sweeped.

Tau turn four: Everyone moved up to try and target the carnifex and in the shooting phase the carnifex was reduced to one wound. The tyrant tried to move back towards the objective, and next turn if he rolled a 6 the objective would be contested.

Tyranid turn five: The tyrant moved at full speed toward the objective and is 6 inches away from contesting. The carnifex played it smart and tried to contest the objective, and the termaguants, failing synapse, moved towards the tyrant.

Tau turn five: figuring an easy kill my commander moved forward 6 inches as did the stealth team, along with the fire warriors. The deathrain suit moved towards the objective already contesting. It was all up to the fire warriors to hold the objective. During the shooting phase the commander rolled a one for the fusion blaster and one of the plasma rifle shots luckily I got to rerol the fusioin blaster shot, due to being twin linked. The badnews was when I rolled a one and a two for wounding. it was all up the stealth team now because the fire warriors had ran already. Hitting with five shots and wounding with three. My friend rolled a 5, 6, and miraculously a 1!

Rolling for the game to continue it stopped thankfully.

A victory for the tau contesting one objective and holding another.

Being our first "real" battle some of the rules we probably got wrong but it was fun.

asdf

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

wow your mates nid list is - horrific, its points are milies out.

Tyrant - This cant take a tougness upgrade in the first place, and why oh why does it have devourers, ANd tallons? also i make this 201 without the tougness upgrade, and its likly to have + BS so its going to be - 211

warriors - he cant take a strangler and venom cannon in the same squad. Also why is it upgraded so heavily?

Stealers - should cost 224. Again far too heavily upgraded.

Question on the guants, the 72 points means they had dewvourers, was it a funny cone like gun?

hormagauants were too few in number

Fex needs to be 180 points.

Adding this up he has 920 points, putting you at a major disadvantage. This could be you just getting some of the bits wrong, but next time, get him to check his list.

on another note, this means your victory is all sweeter and congratulations on a battle well won
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heirodule View Post

Tyrant - This cant take a tougness upgrade in the first place, and why oh why does it have devourers, ANd tallons? also i make this 201 without the tougness upgrade, and its likly to have + BS so its going to be - 211

warriors - he cant take a strangler and venom cannon in the same squad. Also why is it upgraded so heavily?

Question on the guants, the 72 points means they had dewvourers, was it a funny cone like gun?

Adding this up he has 920 points, putting you at a major disadvantage. This could be you just getting some of the bits wrong, but next time, get him to check his list.

on another note, this means your victory is all sweeter and congratulations on a battle well won
    Honestly I don't know too much of what he had, but he just pretty much upgraded everything as much as possible. The gaunts had fleshborers I'm certain on that because they saved my stealth team.

I wasn't really sure what the warriors had I though the venom cannon sounded right, all I really know is that the had a blast template weapon and a one shot weapon at 36" and 24" respectively

Thanks for the reply, and I hope you enjoyed the report!
    asdf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Heirodule View Post

Agreed. I can see straight away without doing the math that he has way more points then you. The Tyrant itself is over 180 for sure, the carnifex definate not 130 with all of those upgrades, but the warriors might of had a venom cannon and death spitter. (I don't have my codex with me but if I remember correctly it is also a blast weapon... for now )
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Thanks for posting the write up, I always like to see more reports. You need to thumb through the 'Nid Codex for sure though, he's out and out cheating in some ways. I say cheating because some of those things.....well it's hard to make those mistakes.

Maybe have a chat with him and have a re-match, cheers for posting.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

+ Reply to Thread