Daemonhunters vs. Necrons (Mark up a win! =][=) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Daemonhunters vs. Necrons (Mark up a win! =][=)

So, I went to a local GW store (Off of hunting ave in Covina [?]) for the first time last night and brought my pieces along just in case. Wouldn't you know it, I got to mark up a win on my personal battle board. Before that day, I had only had four battles, all against Tau, all losses. I play a Daemonhunter Army.

Before I went to the store, I called to make sure of times and if anyone was actually playing. I talked to the manager on the phone and he assured me that I could at the very least come and watch some gameplay. I picked up my pieces and headed down to the store. When I got there, I was greeted by the manager and he introduced me to the 10+ people that were there. I was taken in kindly and started watching some of the games going on. While I was talking to people, they were checking out my fully painted army and they were giving me advice on how to play against certain types of armies. I let them know it would be my first game against anything but Tau if I were able to play.

One of the regulars there came up to me and told me that he had a list for 1000 points that he would love to play against me. I thought it was great. As I said before, I hadn't played anything but Tau and this kid played Necrons. I was fairly weary of the fact that they are a pretty shooty army compared to my slow assaulty army and thought it would be another game vs a tau-like army.

Here's the quick lists before I go on:

Daemonhunters
    BC with 4 Termies and an Inquisitor in Termie armor attached
    2x 5 GK
    1x Land Raider
    1x Callidus Assassin

Necrons(I think)
    necron lord with res orb
    2x 12? necron warriors
    1x heavy destroyer
    1x monolith
    4x necron destroyers
    12x scarabs

We roll and I gain initiative and go first. (I don't remember everything from every turn, so I will just say the highlights. I appologize in advance because I have no idea what his units are called.)

Before the first turn, I use my Callidus assassin's "word in your ear" and move his heavy destroyer 6" closer to me. I move 6" with all of my units, including my Land Raider and was able to fire my TLLC's at him and demolish the destroyer right off the bat. The other units weren't in range of anything else, so I ran, end of my turn.

His turn (1) and my next turn (2), nothing happens (I rolled a 3 to bring in the assassin. fail.). His second turn, he deep strikes his Lord with res orb and some Necron Warriors near me and scatters even closer to me. He takes a shot at my unit that is not in the Land raider and takes out 4/5 Gray Knights (I think).

My turn (3) I pivot my Land Raider and disembark my 5 gray knights. Both squads move up, both squads of Gray Knights fire, I take out 3 of his warriors and have one wound on the lord. I then assault and kill enough of his warriors (and destroy his Lord) that they try to fall back. They failed the test and the entire unit was destroyed. (Wow, I didn't know I could do that!)
    I used my terminators to shoot his scarabs and two of them die. I was able to bring in my assassin but I did not realize that any and every necron has Ld.10. My neural shredder was basically useless. I was able to take out one of his guys out of the 10 that fit under the template. Assault wasn't much different. I believe I only scored two kills. I survived the assault phase and poison blades failed.

His turn (3) he moved his scarabs up into base contact with my Land Raider and with all 30 (?) attacks, he managed to take out two weapons and immobilize it. (Both of the TLLC's were out of commission) Unfortunately, because of the last turns pivot, it left my heavy bolter facing the wrong way. He killed my assassin with his assault, took out two terminators and I believe that's it.

My turn (4) I assaulted his scarabs with my terminators, and both gray knights squads. I believe I wiped them out. Nothing else really happened.

His turns (4 and 5 and my turn's 5 and 6) were basically whittling down my numbers. It was all pretty hazy. At the very end, last turn, I had one terminator left and that's it. I assaulted his last unit (I believe there were 6 left) I killed two (33%), he was running back and failed the test (? I'm still pretty new to this) and that unit was destroyed, which meant I made him phase out (he needed 5 on the board, he only had 4 left in another squad). We were playing annihilation and I don't think we were playing victory points so I won! I think that's how it happened. The other possibility was that he needed 13 on the board and he had 10 necron warriors (and four destroyers), I killed two warriors which left him with 12 necrons all together and then he phased out. I can't remember, there was so much going on and a lot of talking and explaining going on.

I had a bunch of people around helping me out on how to play the game (not my strategies, just the gameplay) and they all said I won! I really appreciate all of their help (If they read this) and I really need to thank the guy I played for helping me out with everything and putting me in my first real game, I really appreciate it! (The one's against Tau were mainly learning games)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Good game. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm not so sure that you won. Let me point out a few things that may or may not have made a difference:

Quote Originally Posted by ntgCleaner View Post
    Before the first turn, I use my Callidus assassin's "word in your ear" and move his heavy destroyer 6" closer to me. I move 6" with all of my units, including my Land Raider and was able to fire my TLLC's at him and demolish the destroyer right off the bat. The other units weren't in range of anything else, so I ran, end of my turn.
    Not sure if this would have made a difference, but WiyE cannot move him past his deployment zone.

My turn (3) I pivot my Land Raider and disembark my 5 gray knights. Both squads move up, both squads of Gray Knights fire, I take out 3 of his warriors and have one wound on the lord. I then assault and kill enough of his warriors (and destroy his Lord) that they try to fall back. They failed the test and the entire unit was destroyed. (Wow, I didn't know I could do that!)
    Did you assault them with your Grey Knight terminators? If they were to only ones to assault, then they cannot do a sweeping advance on the fleeing necrons (the "test" that they failed) unless the regular squad of Grey Knights were also involved in the combat. Models in terminator armor cannot do sweeping advances, but regular grey knights can.

His turns (4 and 5 and my turn's 5 and 6) were basically whittling down my numbers. It was all pretty hazy. At the very end, last turn, I had one terminator left and that's it. I assaulted his last unit (I believe there were 6 left) I killed two (33%), he was running back and failed the test (? I'm still pretty new to this) and that unit was destroyed, which meant I made him phase out (he needed 5 on the board, he only had 4 left in another squad). We were playing annihilation and I don't think we were playing victory points so I won! I think that's how it happened. The other possibility was that he needed 13 on the board and he had 10 necron warriors (and four destroyers), I killed two warriors which left him with 12 necrons all together and then he phased out. I can't remember, there was so much going on and a lot of talking and explaining going on.
    Again, your GKT cannot sweep his fleeing necrons so technically he shouldn't have phased out yet as they are still above the threshold. However, if the game ended after that turn, then you do get a Kill Point for any fleeing units.

Assuming you didn't destroy his Monolith (those things are super tough to destroy) and only had 1 terminator left while he had 10 warriors and 4 destroyers left, the final score should have been:

DH: 4KP's (included the fleeing necrons)
    Necrons: 5KP's

But the best way to learn is to play more and gain experience. Also, I'd recommend you take a look at the Daemonhunters forum for tips and advice on how to better play them. They're a really hard army to play, but when you do win, it is very gratifying. I know, as I play them myself.

Good luck, and once again, good battle report.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Jy2, Thank you for the notes on the game! Here are some things to clear stuff up.

Not sure if this would have made a difference, but WiyE cannot move him past his deployment zone.
    We were playing the second deployment scenario (I forget the name) the one with the circle in the center, he was still well within his zone.

Did you assault them with your Grey Knight terminators? If they were to only ones to assault, then they cannot do a sweeping advance on the fleeing necrons (the "test" that they failed) unless the regular squad of Grey Knights were also involved in the combat. Models in terminator armor cannot do sweeping advances, but regular grey knights can.
    First off, I didn't know Terminators couldn't do a sweeping advance! and Second, yeah, it was my two squads of regular Gray Knights, the Termies were up the board elsewhere.

Again, your GKT cannot sweep his fleeing necrons so technically he shouldn't have phased out yet as they are still above the threshold. However, if the game ended after that turn, then you do get a Kill Point for any fleeing units.
    You are absolutely correct. Since the Terminators can not make sweeping advances, his unit should not have been destroyed. though, yes, it was still fleeing which would have given me the kill point.

So, yes, based on kill points, wouldn't it be 5 to 5? His points would be my BC and retinue (2), assassin (1), 2x PAGK (2), my land raider was not destroyed, so it should not count as a kill point. My points on him would be his Lord (1), his 2x squads (2) -Since those last 10 warriors would have still be fleeing, they count (Right?), his heavy destroyer (1) and his scarabs (1). Is this correct?

Let me know what you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Errr i cant really tell but did you lose the inquistion at all because that is another kill point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

ohhhh yeah... he died. I completely forgot about him, good lookin' out. So, Since his army was fleeing and I was not able to make a sweeping attack, and that was the last move of the last turn, he did not phase out. Therefore, it was his win 6-4. Can one of you guys show me where that sweeping advance rule about terminators is? That's the deciding factor.

EDIT:
    I just read through the rules, the rulebook says there are some cases of disallowed sweeping advances. The Terminator armor entry in the wargear section says ".., models in Terminator Armour that win a close combat may only consolidate; They will not be able to advance". - I used to take it as, they could only group up together, but not move the D6", but then re-reading consolidation, they are allowed to move the D6" and get back into coherency. And I assume "able to advance" is only talking about the sweeping advance? What other kind of advance is there?

EDIT 2:
    This counts as a loss. Man... That's a real downer.

EDIT 3:
    well we all agreed I won at the store... does this still mean I won? haha, I really need a win there.
    Last edited by ntgCleaner; December 12th, 2009 at 00:56.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ntgCleaner View Post
    EDIT:
    I just read through the rules, the rulebook says there are some cases of disallowed sweeping advances. The Terminator armor entry in the wargear section says ".., models in Terminator Armour that win a close combat may only consolidate; They will not be able to advance". - I used to take it as, they could only group up together, but not move the D6", but then re-reading consolidation, they are allowed to move the D6" and get back into coherency. And I assume "able to advance" is only talking about the sweeping advance? What other kind of advance is there?
    Yeah, the DH codex is worded kinda weird. All the other codices say they (terminators) cannot perform a "sweeping advance". The DH codex says will not be able to "advance".

EDIT 2:
    This counts as a loss. Man... That's a real downer.
    Sorry bro. Keep on at it though. You'll get there. If you're still keen on playing the grey knights, I've got 2 words for you: Land Raiders.

But if everyone agrees that you've won, then you've won...unless, of course, someone points out this technicality.

------------------------

BTW, I constantly beat up on Tau with my Grey Knights....though in 1500pts I need 3 LR's to do so. Here's a link to some tips on fighting Tau.
    Last edited by jy2; December 12th, 2009 at 01:05.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

if you had fun, than you accomplished the purpose of the game. i think I would have enjoyed the game too. go play some more and let us know how it goes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

As stated above, as long as you had a good time, that's all that matters. Some of my most memorable fun filled games were losses.

Just keep at it and you'll start getting some wins. GreyKnights are a hard army to play and take some getting used to. I was using my renegade guard against them once, and a squad of 4 GK Termies and Brother whateveritscalled first survived 40 guardsmen using firstline/secondline fire, then charged into combat, and wiped them out in 2 turns of combat, between those damn nemesis force weapons and holocaust just decimating my squads. But then he got to eat a bunch of pieplates that killed him the next shooting phase.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May i just point out that grey knight terminators CAN make sweeping advances. read the codex and wargear section of terminator armour.
    Nothing more funny than 3 inquisitors with sanctify when facing deamons. They cant do anything while you stand in front of them having a tee break.

+ Reply to Thread