Part II - 2500pts Space Wolves vs Ravenguards - 'Ard Boyz Style - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think would be the outcome of this battle?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • The more balanced Space Wolves will dominate.

13 35.14%
  • The more balanced Space Wolves will barely squeak by with a win.

15 40.54%
  • It will be a draw.

2 5.41%
  • The terminator-heavy Space Marines will barely squeak by with a win.

4 10.81%
  • The terminator-heavy Space Marines will dominate.

3 8.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Part II - 2500pts Space Wolves vs Ravenguards - 'Ard Boyz Style

This is the second battle in a series of 4 battles that I'm having with my friend. Basically, we are doing an experiment over which is more dominant - a balanced list or a cheese one. The batrep for the 1st one, involving Chaos Space Marines and super-heavies, can be found here (2500pts Space Wolves vs Chaos Marines w/Super-heavies!!!).

For the second battle, my friend used my Assault Terminator-heavy Ravenguards list.

My list:

2500pts

SPACE WOLVES

Ragnar Blackmane
    Rune Priest Blackheart - Chooser, Wolftooth Necklace, Jaws, Living Lightning
    Rune Priest Loki - Chooser, Meltabombs, Wolftooth Necklace, Hurricane, Living Lightning
    Rune Priest Goldmoon - Wolftooth Necklace, Hurricane, Jaws

5x Wolf Guards - 5x Combi-meltas, 5x Powerfists (attached to Grey Hunters)
    Land Raider Crusader - Extra Armor, Multi-melta (Ragnar + 10 GH's here)

10x Grey Hunters - 2x Meltaguns, Power weapon, Wolf Standard (Ragnar here)
    8x Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Power weapon, Wolf Standard, Rhino (RP here)
    9x Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Power weapon, Wolf Standard, Rhino

6x Long Fangs Alpha - 2x Lascannons, 3x Missile Launchers
    6x Long Fangs Beta - 2x Lascannons, 3x Missile Launchers
    5x Long Fangs Gamma - 2x Plasma Cannons, 2x Missile Launchers

My friend used the list that I was thinking of using for an 'Ard Boyz 2500pt tourney.

SPACE MARINES

Shrike
    Librarian - Terminator Armor, Storm Shield, Might of the Ancient, Null Zone

10x Assault Terminators - 8x TH/SS, 2x LC's (Shrike here)
    10x Assault Terminators - 8x TH/SS, 2x LC's (Librarian here)
    9x Assault Terminators - 7x TH/SS, 2x LC's

10x Scouts - 10x Camo Cloaks, Power Weapon + 4 CCW+BP's, Missile Launcher + 4 Snipers (Combat squadded)
    5x Scouts - 5x Camo Cloaks, Power Weapon + CCW+BP's
    5x Scouts - 5x Camo Cloaks, Power Weapon + CCW+BP's

Land Speeder Storm - Multi-melta

Predator - TL-lascannon, 2x Lascannon sponsoons
    Vindicator #1
    Vindicator #2

Before I get to the report, I'm interested in seeing what you guys think so I'll put in a little poll.

TO BE CONTINUED....

Last edited by jy2; January 27th, 2010 at 21:18. Reason: Had 1 extra scout squad on Ravenguards list
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x3)

Seems like two good lists.

Just looking at the list i would say that it's going to be even and highly depended on the players, dice rolls (and mission).

Missions/objects are unknowned. They bouth have a lot of kill points.The SM has some squishy troops if it is objects and not only kill point.

The SM has some hard CC- choices, but they are foot slogging ( with fleet though). The one squad with Shrike should normally be at SW lines fast, but will be delayed a little by the Choosers.

The SM player lack long-range fire power and will have to move up.

If the SM reserve the 3 LS-storm, each with one scout squad, the SW-player deploying way back should have a few rounds to shoot at the assault termies. Some clever use of rhinos to force the movement of the termies, or make them wast a turn attacking a rhino. LR for counter assault. Focus on one squad a time.

Since i'm a SW fan i'm going to vote for the wolfs, but I think they will have a hard time.

Looking forward to this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the wolves will pull out a victory, but i agree with Tyfus that it depends a lot on the mission type. While Shrike lists are good, I'm not so sure how CC scouts will survive very long against just about anything in the Wolf list.

Also, quit teasing us and upload the report already!
    How Did This Get Here I Am Not Good With Computer

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Let the Battle Begin....

Pre-game Thoughts:

It's going to be a tough battle if it is a Kill Point game and maybe even Capture and Control as I'm going to have my hands full. However, I believe I have a chance in Seize Ground as my troop choice is fairly strong compared to his. Also, Dawn of War and table quarters favor me, as his terminators will have a longer trek allowing me more chances to shoot and Jaws him. Pitched battle would favor him as he may make it into assault maybe by turn 2.

Thank goodness my Choosers should give me some type of protection from an infiltrating Shrike+termie squad. My game plan is to concentrate fire/assault at one unit at time and overwhelm him with sheer numbers. I also have a very evil plan. I plan to outflank his terminators with my 2 Rune Priests with Jaws. If it works out right, each Jaws will probably go through a lot of terminators and hopefully his HQ's.

We then roll for mission and deployment and I get what I wanted.

Mission: Seize Ground, 4 objectives
    Deployment: Dawn of War
    First Turn: He wins initiative, but lets me go first (I think it was a mistake on his part to do so).

Deployment
    We basically use the same map that we used in our previous battle (Space Wolves vs Chaos marines).

There is a large 12"x12" ruins on my left in the middle, 2 area terrains in each deployment zone and a smaller impassable terrain near the center of the board.

4 objectives were scattered throughout the middles of the board, though none were placed in area terrain. I think this was another mistake on his part. I felt his scouts, with camo cloaks, could hold his objectives better while in terrain. He probably didn't put it in terrain because he didn't want his LC terminators assaulting my guys through cover.

I deployed Rune Priest Blackheart + squad just behind the center impassable terrain. He deploys nothing but infiltrates his combat-squadded sniper scouts in the 2nd level of the ruins. Oops...I forgot about my chooser which I also deployed on the ruins (enemy cannot infiltrate within 18" of it). Oh well...I probably would've remembered it if he had infiltrated Shrike & co., but of course since it was just scouts...

Space Wolves Turn 1
    Everything comes in, from my left to right: Land Raider Crusader (this time Ragnar's squad deployed outside of it and embarks into it), Rune Priest Loki (with squad), Grey Hunters and Rune Priest Goldmoon. Rune Priest Blackheart doubles back to give some cover to my other rhinos and pop smoke. My Long Fangs run forwards. LF Alpha (w/lascannons) doesn't quite make it into area terrain to the left (near the LRC). LF Beta (w/lascannons) make it into the area terrain on the right, and the plasma-LF's is out in the open between the other 2 LF squads but hidden behind my rhinos. Only Blackheart is able to see the sniper scouts and uses Living Lightning to shoot 1 down.

Space Marines Turn 1
    He reserves his scouts in landspeeders. Shrike's termies comes in from the center with the Librarian's termies to the left (from my perspective) and the 9-termie squad to the right. That's another mistake on his part. He should have deployed the libbie in the middle. Now the right termie squad and possibly Shrike's unit will not have the protection of the libbie's psychic hood when I use my powers on them (especially when I use my RP's to outflank them). Vindicators #1 & #2 comes in behind the ruins and vindie #1 pops smoke after going 12". The predator comes in behind the middle area terrain and is partially obscured. His guys fail to see anything so he runs his termies forward.

Sorry, it is getting late so I will continue tomorrow.

To be continued...
    Last edited by jy2; January 27th, 2010 at 21:21. Reason: Oops...it was DoW deployment, not Pitched Battle.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

I've voted Space Wolves win. You've got quite a lot of low-AP high-S fire, so dealing with footslogging Termies and a few vehicles should be too much of an issue.
    Necron Army Building Maxima: Beware of Phase Out
    Tervigon Conversion

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Space Wolves Turn 2
    I move most of my transports 12", making sure to keep my rhinos out of the 18" charge range of his terminators but within range to use Jaws (except RP#1 which only moves 6"). The LF's stay still so that they can fire. I disembark Loki & Goldmoon (+ squads) from their transports. Hurricane was out of range, but 2 Jaws (his librarian's psychic hood couldn't block Blackheart and was out of range against Goldmoon) and some limited LF fire (my plasma-LF's didn't have LOS because of my rhinos) managed to only take out 2 terminators from the Librarian's unit and 2 more from the 9-man termie squad. Despite his smoke, my LF Alpha wrecks his vindicator #1.

Space Marines Turn 2
    The land speeders don't come in from reserves yet. His terminators advances and runs forward, though are still out of assault range. Because Shrikes' unit and the 7-man squad had to squeeze between 2 area terrains, they were clumped up together real nicely (perfect for my plasma cannon shots next turn). I think he took this risk to avoid moving through difficult terrain so that he can get to me quicker. His vindie #2 moves past the wreckage that was vindie #1 and gets cover from the ruins while still having LOS to my Crusader. He then lets go a big one and immobilises my LRC despite my smoke. His pred only manages to shake a rhino, and he forgets to shoot with his snipers.

Space Wolves Turn 3
    Now I had a perfect opportunity. He had 2 squads of termies bottle-necked and clumped up in the middle between 2 terrains he had tried to avoid in the hopes of reaching me faster. Did he make the right choice?

Ragnar and friends stay in the LRC but I reposition my other units to have better firing angles, including moving my rhinos so that my plasma-LF's had LOS to his termies (was that intentional or planned....hmmmm). Both Jaws go off (again he failed to block Blackheart) as does Murderous Hurricane from Loki. Also, 1 plasma cannon hits directly and gets 6 while the other scatters but still manages to hit 3. Between all those along with some Long Fang fire, I must've taken out about 10-12 terminators mainly from the libbie's unit and the formerly 7-man squad. Jaws also claimed another IC - his Librarian (though I didn't get Shrike). The rest of my fire (I split fire with my LF's) shakes his vindie #2 and destroys the turreted lascannon on his pred.

Space Marines Turn 3
    He's already lost about half of all his terminators and his only psychic defense. It'll be interesting to see if he can recover at all. 2 land speeders come in and hide to the side of the ruins. His vindie also moves back behind the ruins to get out of the LOS of my Long Fangs. His pred fires but doesn't do anything due to cover. The right termie squad (I think it's only about 4-5-strong now) doesn't quite make it to assault Goldmoon & Loki's squads due to Hurricane (they had to move as if they were in dangerous & difficult terrain). He failed about 3-4 dangerous terrain tests from moving and fleeting, but fortunately for him made all his invulns. The left termies (formerly with the libbie), now only 4-strong, has no one to assault so moves towards my rhinos and ignores my immobilised LRC. Shrike's unit could only make it to assault Blackheart's rhino. They do so and manages to wreck it. Problem is, now they're clumped up and in danger of my plasma cannons again.

Space Wolves Turn 4
    Now I get apply my strategy of gangbanging them. Ragnar's unit disembarks from the LRC and moves straight towards Shrike's 9-man unit, ignoring the left termies along the way. I also disembark my the 10-man GH (the unit without a Rune Priest) to go after Shrike's unit. On the right side of the map, Goldmoon and Loki's units get ready to double-team the right terminators. LF Alpha and plasma-LF's both open fire on Shrike's unit. Both plasma cannons score direct hits, which came out to 18 AP2 hits. I also let loose Jaws, melta+combi-meltas, missile launchers, lascannons and bolt pistols, killing all but Shrike and maybe 2-3 termies. A furious assault by Ragnar's unit, RP#1 and 10-man GH unit wipes out the rest, with Ragnar personally besting Shrike in cc. On the other side, Jaws, Hurricane, melta+combi-meltas, bolt pistols and LF Beta eradicates the right termies without them even needing to assault.

Space Marines Turn 4
    He doesn't have a prayer now, but he decides to move towards the objectives, hoping against all odds that the game ends next turn and his scouts can somehow survive. The last land speeder comes in and moves flat-out towards an objective. His sniper scouts runs towards another objective. The 2 hidden land speeders move towards a 3rd objective but only 12" so that they could multi-melta my Crusader. Then the vindie #2 comes out to play. Good thing I spread out Ragnar's squad a little with my consolidation moves, otherwise they might have been wiped out. The vindie scores a direct hit and kills 6 from Ragnar's squad. The LSS multi-meltas doesn't do anything of significance to my LRC.

Space Wolves Turn 5
    My wolves move towards the objectives. I take out all 3 land speeders and all 3 squads of scouts. Only 1 scout squad survived, pinned and out of claiming range of the objective. He concedes at this point with my wolves on 3 objectives and him none. The only thing he had left was 1 scout squad and a damaged predator.

Total domination by the Space Wolves.

Post Game Assessment

I just overwhelmed him with my firepower and psychic abilities this game. I was lucky to get the mission and deployment types I wanted. I felt he made a few tactical mistakes, but overall he took a big gamble by trying to ignore the terrain with his terminators and ended up paying for it big time.

The Rune Priests were nasty here, Ragnar and his unit was a beast in combat, the Grey Hunters were solid and Long Fangs did outstanding this game. Not much the opponent can do when my forces were clicking like they were today.

Next up, the Space Wolves battle an Inquisition force w/6 Land Raiders!
    Last edited by jy2; January 27th, 2010 at 21:30.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x6)

the # before nearly every squad is really really annoying, sorry but i don't feel i can read the batrep with them hanging around. Hope that my comment wasn't too harsh mate.
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by antique_nova View Post
    the # before nearly every squad is really really annoying, sorry but i don't feel i can read the batrep with them hanging around. Hope that my comment wasn't too harsh mate.
    Ok, changed. I thought the numbers might have made it easily to follow, but I guess not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104 (x4)

I loved the batrep, and congratulations on your victory. I understand his gamble, after all his invulnerable save is only slightly worse than the cover save he could have gained. But clumping was a really bad idea.
    Necron Army Building Maxima: Beware of Phase Out
    Tervigon Conversion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't you say this was balanced list vs. a cheesy list. He may have had the Terminators but your list is what I've seen for pretty much every competetive SW army. 3 Rune Priests, Ragnar, all the Wolf Guard. It seems that Ragnar is fairly tired now a-days, fighting in every single engagement the SW are in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast