Dundracon 1850 RTT 2/13 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How will my Space Wolves do at Dundracon's 1850 40K tournament?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st place

5 50.00%
  • 2nd place

1 10.00%
  • 3rd place

1 10.00%
  • 4-5th place

1 10.00%
  • Not in the top 5

2 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Dundracon 1850 RTT 2/13

I've finally decided which list I'm going to bring to Dundracon RTT on Sat 2/13. It's an 1850pt 40K tournament maxing out at 32 players (though it's got a lot of other events, including a 2250 WHFB tourney which I was thinking about but won't be making). On my last tourney, I place 1st with my Space Wolves (batrep here (1250 Tournament - Space Wolves)) but that was a much smaller 1250pt tournament. I expect a lot more challenging battles this time around.

My list:

1850 Space Wolves 7th Company

Ragnar Blackmane
    Rune Priest Loki - Chooser, Meltabombs, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane
    Rune Priest Goldmoon - Chooser, Living Lightning, Jaws of the World Wolf

3x Wolf Guards - Combi-meltas, Power Fists (attached to Grey Hunters)

8x Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Power Weapon, Wolf Standard
    Rhino
    Rhino
    Rhino
    10x Grey Hunters - 2x Meltaguns, Power Weapon, Wolf Standard
    Rhino

Land Speeder - Heavy Flamer, Multi-melta

5x Long Fangs - 4x Missile Launchers
    Vindicator

How do you guys think I'll do? I'll post the results after the tourney.

Last edited by jy2; February 10th, 2010 at 18:32.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted your going to be 1st, just because I want you to win!
    No, serious, I think its a very good all-round list, and with some tactics and (not the very least) good dice-rolling you can own them. This seems logical, but you won the first tournament, so I think you can do that again.

It's hard to say which place you get, can tell us what armies you're facing? That would add more usefull-ness to this poll.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

There's a lot of good players here in California. I'd expect a lot of different space marine armies and mechanized guards. I also think I'll see mechdar, Chaos Space Marines and Orks. One of my friends will be bringing Chaos Marines and another the new Nids. It's going to be a variety, that's why my list has been designed to take on all comers hopefully. My main concern would be mechdar. I normally have problems with them.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I actually gave you first too.The list is just really well balanced and has an answer for anything someone can throw at you. Its similar to mine though I don't use Ragnar and the armies that gave me trouble at my last tournament were some VERY luck tau rolls so I never even had a chance to get close to him and a mech Orks. I have faith in you though! lol

Cant wait for the Betrep!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

i gave you second, because i don't think that it's the strongest that i has seen from SW at 1850. but your very smart and you know 40k well. so that's why second. and good luck!
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
    I actually gave you first too.The list is just really well balanced and has an answer for anything someone can throw at you. Its similar to mine though I don't use Ragnar and the armies that gave me trouble at my last tournament were some VERY luck tau rolls so I never even had a chance to get close to him and a mech Orks. I have faith in you though! lol

Cant wait for the Betrep!
    Orks took first! I, apparently, took 4th with the nids and no clue how his/your wolves did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Darn, if the wolves didn't get it I would have been happy if at least the hive got it. Do you know what kind of list the orks were?

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Honestly, I'm not sure how I did yet. I didn't do as well as I'd like. I'm still waiting for them to post the results. 1st was Speed Freaks Orks. 2nd was Space Wolves (my friend's army). Congrats girlhunter on your 4th place finish. I've been busy of late so batrep will come out later this week.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I modified my list slightly and bulked up on my RP's to make them more survivable.

My list:

1850 Space Wolves 7th Company

Ragnar Blackmane
    Rune Priest Loki - Artificer Armor, Chooser, Meltabombs, Wolftooth Necklace, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane
    Rune Priest Goldmoon - Artificer Armor, Chooser, Wolftooth Necklace, Living Lightning, Jaws of the World Wolf

3x Wolf Guards - Combi-meltas, Power Fists (attached to Grey Hunters)

8x Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Power Weapon, Wolf Guard, Wolf Standard, Rhino (Ragnar here)
    6x Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Power Weapon, Wolf Guard, Wolf Standard, Rhino (RP here)
    6x Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Power Weapon, Wolf Guard, Wolf Standard, Rhino (RP here)
    10x Grey Hunters - 2x Meltaguns, Power Weapon, Wolf Standard, Rhino

Vindicator

This is how the scoring system went:

Win = 15pts
    Draw = 10pts
    Loss = 5pts

Bonus Points (there are more depending on Mission):

+1pt per objective controlled
    +1pt if you destroy all your opponent's Troop choices
    +1pt if you have at least 1 HQ alive and your opponent has none

There were I believe 30-32 players and including the following armies:

Several Marines
    4-5 Space Wolves
    4 Tyranids
    4-5 Orks
    4-5 Chaos Marines
    2-3 Eldars
    2 Imperial Guards
    1 Witchhunters
    1 Necron
    1 Dark Angels
    1 Blood Angels

Missing were Chaos Daemons, Daemonhunters, Dark Eldar and Tau.

GAME 1

Played against Dark Angels. His list:

Belial
    5x Deathwing - Assault Cannon, Chainfist
    10x Tact Squad - Flamer/ML, Rhino (combat squadded)
    10x Tact Squad - Flamer/ML, Razorback (illegal formation, I thought they were combat squadded but they weren't...5 was in the Razorback and the other 5 were footsloggin behind it but it was 1 10-man squad)

10x Scouts
    Predator - Trip-lascannons
    Vindicator

Additional Bonus Points:
    +1pt if you control objectives in both table quarters
    +1pt if you control all the objectives

Mission: Seize Ground (4 objectives - you have to control at least 2 objectives to win)
    Deployment: Spearhead
    Initiative: Dark Angels

Summary: Ken was one of the organizers and an alternate. He didn't seem to have played for a while as he was still playing using a lot of the 4th edition rules, of which I had to correct him a few times, but he was very cool and laid-back person. I was a little concerned as I didn't really have a lot of shooting besides my meltas that negate his Deathwing saves. Also, he blew up my vindicator on turn 1 before it could even do anything with just 1 lascannon shot from his pred. Due to terrain blocking LOS and some poor rolling, my Long Fangs didn't do much all game. Finally, both of my land speeders didn't come in until turn 5 (the last turn).

Despite all that, my psychic powers and assault carried me through. Jaws took out Belial and 2 terminators. Hurricane took out a couple also, but it was in assault that I wiped out all but 2 troop units (1 contesting). The game ended abruptly on turn 5 with me on 1 objective and locked in combat with his tact squad on another. His remaining combat squad (w/ML) was in a corner and would not have been able to do anything.

Objectives: SW - 1, DA - 0

Results: DRAW
    I got 12pts.

So close, had the game went on for 1 more turn, I would have probably wiped out his tact squad and reach the other 2 objectives to go up 4-0 and got almost full points. Alas, it ended early as a draw because I didn't get 2 objectives. Not a very good start. I could have easily gotten 20pts max had the game continued.

GAME 2

Played against the new Nids:

Hive Tyrant - Heavy Venom Cannon, Armored Shell, Hive Commander
    Tyranid Prime

2x Zoanthropes

Tervigon - Catalyst
    20x Hormagaunts (outflanked)
    20x Hormagaunts
    15x Termagaunts
    10x Genestealers - Broodlord

10x Gargoyles

Mawloc
    Trygon Prime

Additional Bonus Points:
    +1pt if you destroy your opponent's most expensive unit
    +1pt if you control all the objectives

Each objective = 1KP
    You had to win by 3 or more KP's than your opponent.

Mission: Modified Annihilation
    Deployment: Pitched Battle
    Initiative: Space Wolves

Summary: I thought this would be an easy game for me. It ended up to be a hard-fought battle. On turn 1, I moved my rhinos w/my RP's both 12" and disembarked just the RP's in order to use their powers. 1 suffers perils on snake-eyes. The other fails his psychic test with 11. I jaws his Tervigon but it passes with a 1. On his turn, I underestimated the charge range of his hormagaunts and after rolling for difficult terrain, they make it into assault with both my RP's. 1 dies but the other remains locked in cc.

On his turn 2, I take out his Tyranid Prime and hormagaunts locked in cc with my RP. I didn't actually wound the Prime, but because I killed 17 hormagaunts, No Retreat killed off the Prime in as well (I multi-charged). On his turn, hormagaunts and genestealers both outflank and come in. Hormagaunts reaches and assaults 1 squad of Long Fangs. Luckily, they survive with just the sergeant remaining and he passes his LD (I believe he rolled a 3).

His Mawloc and Trygon both came in on turn 3 (he actually forgot, but I let him do it even though it was the shooting phase). The Mawloc kills 7-8 from Ragnar's unit. I take out his Mawloc on the following turn but had a lot of problems against his Trygon Prime. It took 4 turns of assault with Ragnar, 1 Power Fist wolf guard (the only survivor from Ragnar's unit) and a 10-man Grey Hunter unit to finish it off, but not before it kills Ragnar and the lone wolf guard. On the bright side, I pfist his Tyrant to death in cc after it kills off 3 from a GH unit.

In the end (the game went to turn 7), I wiped out everything except 2 squads of termagaunts (only one squad of 7 termagaunts was spawned by his Tervigon before he rolled doubles). I also had 2 objectives and contested the 2 objectives that his gaunts were on.

Results: WIN for Space Wolves.

I got 18pts. He killed all my HQ (actually, the last RP died from perils).

To be continued....
    Last edited by jy2; February 17th, 2010 at 00:54.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

GAME 3

Played against a footsloggin Dual-lash Chaos list. This is also the opponent my friend Mike, another fellow Space Wolf player, played to a draw on his game 2 (Mike ended up 2nd best general).

Lash Sorcerer on Bike
    Daemon Prince - Lash, Wings
    Summoned Greater Daemon

5x Chosen - 4x Meltas (infiltrated)

10x CSM - Lascannon, Plasmagun, Power Fist
    10x CSM - Lascannon, Plasmagun, Power Fist

6-7 Chaos Bikers - Power Fist

Defiler
    Defiler
    3x Obliterators

Additional Bonus Points:
    +1pt if you destroy your opponent's most expensive unit
    +1pt if you have more KP's than you opponent

Mission: Special - see victory conditions
    Deployment: Pitched Battle
    Initiative: Chaos Space Marines

This scenario is kind of strange. It is both objectives (6) and Kill Points. There are several Victory Conditions that need to be met in order to get a win, and you need to meet at least 2 more than your opponent. Somehow, I get the feeling this may turn out to be a draw. On the bright side, he's only got 2 scoring units in which to claim objectives and the conditions mostly involve objectives.

Summary: He deploys on the side with a large trench that provides 3+ cover to his footsloggers. I deploy on the side that gives none of my vehicles cover. Ughh. I make a huge mistake on my deployment. I put both Long Fangs on my left behind a forest to give them cover saves. Unfortunately, they are also exposed to his Lash sorcerer on bike without the protection of my Runic weapons. Double-ughh. Let me state that throughout the game, I just couldn't stop his Lash. I maybe only stopped 1 Lash out of 7-8 attempts, though he did fail twice and suffer perils once. Not good at all.

He makes me pay for it. On his first turn, he moves his bikers, lash 1 squad of LF's and assaults them. To add insult to injury, 1 Long Fang had to survive so they are locked in combat and I am unable to shoot them on my turn. Then on his 2nd turn, he repeats this against my 2nd Long Fangs, they don't break yet again and his unit is protected once again during my shooting phase. Ouch. To my relief, his shooting is horrendous and he only manages to shake my vindicator and blow up 1 rhino in 2 rounds of shooting. Unfortunately, it is Ragnar's rhino.

On turn 3 I was able to make it into assault with 3 units. These were the only highlights of the game as I destroyed his oblits, 10-man CSM squad on an objective and bike squad in assault. After that, he just had his way with me using Lash. Damn impotent Rune Priests. It turned out that those 3 squads were the only Kill Points I could get the whole game. In the end, I only had 1 objective and he had 2.

Results: DRAW
    I got 12pts.

Despite all my misfortunes, I actually beat him on the victory conditions. Though he had 2 objectives, only the 1 on my deployment counted towards the victory condition. I got 1 objective on his deployment zone to fulfill 1 victory condition, and I also killed his highest point unit (his bikers) to fulfill another victory condition. So the game ended with Space Wolves 2 vs Chaos 1. Unfortunately, I needed to meet another victory condition for the win.

Overall I got 1 win and 2 draws. I'm not sure what the final results are yet, but I doubt I made it to the top5. Best general (and 1st Overall) went to Scott's Orks. Ironically he was my partner in a doubles tournament I had (my very 1st tourney). 2nd best overall went to my friend, Mike's Space Wolves. It appears my other friend, girlhunter2012, might have taken 4th with his nids despite going 1-1-1 (W-L-D), so maybe there is hope for me afterall. I'll find out in a few days when they post the results (hopefully they will post them).
    Last edited by jy2; February 17th, 2010 at 03:09.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast