The new battle missions book - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

The new battle missions book

Yesterday My friend Mat(forum tag Matus) and i played missions from this.
    I was tau, he was IG
    skip to bottom for summary of the book

We started with a kill team game.
    We thought this was a very good idea but tau just destroys on this.
    I had to kill 7 of his and he had to kill 8 to force the leadership test at the start of each turn. Well in this it was quite even with kills for kills but that didn't include my battlesuit. being city fight it had so much cover that it was jumping out shooting and then jumping back not to covert but so it couldn't be seen. Missile pod killing each turn or if he tried to come close the TL flamer destroyed.
    So i won with the Battlesuit getting about 1/2 my kills.

With this win we moved to the right of the sheet my friend made. fighting one of the tau missions and one of the other 2 depending on who won the first.

I forget the name of the missions (i'm sure Matus will add them) but with IG not allowed to have reserves and i automatically have first turn it was very in my favour, and thats not including the other special rule i never used.
    Any the way this game was set out i should have happily won but i lost 4-3 on kill points (all tau missions are kill points) thanks to Matus' (very anti troop with 29 S5 shots a turn) Leman Russ. It survived the whole 5 turns (matus roled a 1 to end it (opposite of normal game ending roles)) i had 2 hammerheads and a broadside in a 1250 point game firing at it and in all that time i destroyed one weapon on it even firing at its rear at points- at one point i used marker lights and had two BS5 hammerheads firing only to role 2 lots of 1.
    This tank also got 3 of his kill points and whats anoying is one of his teams was running off the board for 2 turns but never made it so i didn't get the kill point. Had this gone another turn the final result would have been different as i would had finished of the 2 teams i was killing and the other team would have ran off the table (on a 3+)
    But star of the day was the anti troop Leman Russ taking out a broadside (both shield drones didn't die but had to be removed) a kroot/hound squad and a pathfinder squad.

So 3rd game was another tau mission with the idea that the tau army pulling back. Counter attack was its name.

Well this game was decided at the being. Another friend set up the table but with a small focus of one corner to another but i then took the other diagonal which left the IG with little to no buildings and only small blockaides on the floor for cover for some of his troops. Again IG was allowed no reserves and tau had first turn.
    I was only allowed to have troops and HS start on the board with all others coming on from any edge but the small corner matus had.

Anyway, game beginnings with my HQ sitting right back in the corner with very good LOS to the board - Leman Russ (plasma cannons and S10 pie plate weapons) did not to so well this time with Tau having 3 braods and a hammer, it was dead first turn. Again both sentinals (with las) were taken out/ made useless at the being of the game and with all my HQ, Elite and FA coming on in the corner next to the IG corner - it was very much an ambush. The game went all 7 turns and IG were tabled with all units destroyed in a 1500 point game (tau only losing 2 battlesuits and 3 firewarrors). game ends 14 - 0 (if im correct)
    Anyway although the way the table was set up really didn't help the rules were so in tau favour that we knew tau would win the whole game.

Well from what my friend set up that left me with a minor victory but since i tabled him in the last game we dicided it was unfair so we played another kill team
    I win, i get a major victory - he wins its a draw.
    The setting for it was again city (as its meant to be) and the last surviving IG were on their way to the bunker to destroy the planet defences to stop tau using them against SM when they arrive.
    For the first time Mat won the dice off and choose the corner he wanted.

Both learning from the first one we had different teams making the 200 points.
    His missile launcher team was placed up high to see the whole field.

With this i hid everything from sight as he had first turn (however most of my stuff could see parts of the board) so i covered the whole board but his corner meaning if he wanted to shoot anything he had to attack me.

Seeing how good my battle suits were i had 2 in the 200 points (allowed 1 elite, 2 troop and 1 FA) then everything in units acts as singe models.

being able to jump out shoot and then jump back to allow his no shots meant that mat had to come out and ended in me killing lots without losing anything. even when he decided to fall back into a building my battlesuits pushed forward shotting but he was never able to shoot back.

Some confussing bits were if units were seeable and the firer had more than one shot he would split it between them - we weren't so sure by this and played they had to be in unit coherency - (2")

So my views on the new battle mission book.
    • All games are heavily in favour for the team their for eccept one or 2 which seemed to be a suicide mission (one of the SM missions)
    • The kill team needs better rule - no 2 wound models and nothing with a weapons over strengh 7 could help too. - battle suits destroy everything in this game cos of the cover (but then they did in all of the games we played - in the 3rd game i had 7 battle suits using marker tokens against his remaining 3 units on the table (part of his command squad) - was funny)
    • Planetary missions - the games in here would be great for that with 3 home tiles/planets for each player and on their tiles one of their missions are played (decided before the game) on all other tiles that don't belong to any player a normal TT game would be played.

I hope mat will add some more info.

Last edited by Rafici; March 21st, 2010 at 13:42.
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So would you recommend buying the book?
    Fear is of the unknown...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

What's with the MASSIVE text?
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x3)

They were enjoyable missions so yes i would
    and it goes best with the planetary missions

but just be warned that you may wanna change some of the rules and add some especailly to the kill team mission to make them a fair battle.
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    What's with the MASSIVE text?
    haha it is really big. And blue.
    Hope, is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x3)

because it makes it stand out

i see now i went a little bit to big

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Bold or italics usually do me fine
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems fair...

The Battle Missions book is cool! If you're sick of playing the same 9 missions (ie 3 missions and 3 deployments), this is the book for you.
    Me and a buddy just played CSM vs Space Wolves and rolled off for the mission. We got the Prepared Assault (I think, it's the second Space Marines mission) mission. It involved making me deploy first in the center of the board, not less than 12" from the edges, with my units 6" or more apart.
    After doing so, he go to go first and roll his stuff in off of any table edge.
    To make up for this, I got the Stubborn and Move Through Cover special rules.
    To make a long story short, in no way did Stubborn and Move Through Cover even come close to making up for the advantage that the Space Wolves player got for this battle mission. The ability to pick which units fight where and when is an amazing advantage, which the player used to completely crush me.
    It was a bloody slaughter in which I only managed to amass 2 kill points while my whole army was wiped out. Was it fair? Not really, but I easily could have rolled a different mission that was much more fair or even favored me.
    Or better yet, I could have won against impossible odds.
    Either way, I had fun. This is the point of the game, no? And that being said, I'm sure there will be Battle Mission tournaments at game stores across the country. Will it become the norm? No way, Jose. This is a strictly fun and casual book made to add more flavor and variety to the Warhammer 40k universe.
    Not to make a more balanced and competitive one.
    "Men attract not what they want but instead what they are."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

403 (x8)

Yeah I've played that game twice, as both SM and IG - and both games was a win for the SM (although in it's defence, it was the PERFECT mission for my SM list and I did almost manage to get a win as IG)
    My Deathwatch Campaign

jboweruk

Well, in the couple of months since it came out, it has almost become the defacto way of playing at our club now. Far more interesting to just not know how you're going to play.

+ Reply to Thread