1850 tournament with nids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

1850 tournament with nids

Here is a report from a 3 round RTT in Dayton Ohio. I have been having some success with my all reserve Tyranid list and decided to throw it into the tournament scene.

My List:
    HQ:
    Tyrant: Wings, Scything Talons x2, Hive Commander
    Elites:
    Zoanthropes x2: Spore Pod
    Zoanthropes x2: Spore Pod
    Deathleaper
    Troops:
    Genestealers x10
    Genestealers x10
    Genestealers x10
    Hormagaunts x20: Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs
    Heavy Support:
    Mawloc
    Mawloc
    Mawloc

Round 1

Opponent:
    HQ:
    Parasite of Mortrex
    Fast Attack:
    Gargoyles x16
    Elites:
    Doom of Malan’tai: Spore Pod
    Zoanthropes x3: Spore Pod
    Troops:
    Termagants x10
    Termagants x10
    Tervigon
    Tervigon...both tervigons have cluster spines but no other upgrades
    Hormagaunts x16: Toxin Sacs
    Genestealers x12: Adrenal Glands, Scything Talons
    Heavy Support:
    Trygon Prime
    Trygon Prime
    Pretty solid Tyranid list with numerous threatening elements. I have met Ronnie before and believe this is his 2nd/3rd attempt at tournament play. I feel a little bad for him as he ended up playing against 3 experiences tournament players.

Mission:
    Primary: 5 objectives
    Secondary: Control Table Quarters
    Tertiary: Victory Points
    Deployment: Table Quarters, I won the roll and let my opponent take turn #1

The objectives are in the standard, one in center while the others are in the table quarters formation. My opponent outflanks his stealers and deepstrikes Trygons, Doom, and the Doom. I place my Mawlocs on the table...they burrow 1st turn, regular reserve my Tyrant and Hormagaunts, and outflank/deepstrike everything else.

Opponents Turn 1+2:
    My opponent advances his forces into the middle and left flank leaving his forces entirely to close to the table edge. He elects not to spawn any gaunts from tervigons, wanting to settle onto objectives first. All of his reserves arrive except one Trygon. The doom and Zoanthropes deepstrike into middle and stealers come in on left flank as well.

My Turn 2:
    Things get real ugly real quick. All of my reserves arrive except one Zoanthrope squad and one Genestealer. Tyrant, one genestealer squad, and the hormagaunts arrive on left flank along with all three mawlocs. The other genestealer squad arrives on the other flank and are eventually torn to shreds by the trygon prime. Mawlocs and zoanthropes combine to kill a hand full of gaunts.
    Then I multi assault his Parasite, gargoyles, and genestealers with the Tyrant, Hormagaunts, and genestealers. Nothings survives to combat resolution though he manages to take 4 genestealers with him.

Turn 3:
    Both of his Tervigons roll doubles for their spawnings, getting 14 and 8 respectively. The Doom saunters over to all the action on the left flank, though not close enough to spirit leach anything. A few models are lost here and there from shooting but nothing terrible. Then his Hormagaunts multi charge the Zoanthropes, Spore Pod, and a Mawloc, resulting in a drawn combat. Two termagaunt squads shoot and charge the other two mawlocs and everyone gets tied in. One Mawloc manages to hit and run.

On my turn the last of my reserves arrive. The genestealers hit the left flank and manage to charge a tervigon, killing it in one round...yikes! The zoanthropes land and wish there was some armor to shoot. Tyrant and hormagaunts charge Doom, only losing one hormagaunt to spirit leech, and murder him. 6 remaining stealers charge in behind his hormagaunts and kill them all, springing my zoanthropes and spore pod free. This is also the turn I charge the trygon prime with my stealers and get cut down.

Turn 4:
    I play mop up with his units near the center and left objectives while he scrambles his last scoring unit over to one of the right ones. Game over.

Result:
    Primary: 3-1 win
    Secondary: No one achieves which is written as a draw
    Tertiary: 1000pt VP difference for the win

Round 2:

Opponent: Everyones favorite IG list...Minus Mystics!

HQ:
    CCS: x4 flamers, in Chimera w/hvy Bolter

Elites:
    Psyker Battle Squad x10, in Chimera w/hvy Bolter

Troops:
    Vets with x3 melta, in Chimera w/hvy Bolter
    Vets with x3 melta, in Chimera w/hvy Bolter
    Vets with x3 flamers, in Chimera w/hvy Bolter
    Vets with x3 flamers, rides in Vendetta
    Vets with x3 flamers, rides in Vendetta
    Fast Attack:
    Vendetta x3 Las
    Vendetta x3 Las
    Heavy Support:
    Hydra Flak Tank x2 w/hvy Bolter
    Manticore
    Leman Russ x2 w/hvy Bolters
    No hood or mystics but there is a lot of anti-infantry in this list. First time playing this gentleman but have seen him around other tournaments. Unfortunately this ended up being a bad map and bad mission for him.

Mission:
    Primary: Kill Points
    Secondary: Kill all troops
    Tertiary: Victory points, I win the roll and let him go first.

I win the roll and let him go first, he elects to reserve his entire army. I put my mawlocs on the table and burrow them turn 1. Everything else deepstrikes or outflanks.

Turn 2:
    Both of his melta vets, both vendettas, and manticore roll onto the board. Everything either smokes, or turbo boosts for survivability. One vendetta and manticore on left flank, both chimeras in center, and the other vendetta on right.

All of my reserves arrive except two genestealer squads. Mawlocs manage to down the left flank vendetta and bounce of the center chimeras. Tyrant Deepstrikes near the center. Genestealers slaughter the vet squad that piled out of the vendetta and deathleaper/hormagaunts manage to stun the manticore. All zoanthrope shots are saved by smoke.
    KP: 2-0

Turn 3:
    Everything arrives except Russes. The only flamer fodder (hormagaunts) are wrapped around the manticore, giving him no clear shot, or way to tank shock them into an ally. Instead he drives on near the center and smokes. The hydras roll onto the right side, away from any of my forces.
    Shooting drops a Mawloc and one or two gaunts.

My turn sees the last of my reserves. One steal squad pops out by his hydras and trash both. The other stealers and gaunts spend the turn running towards the center. One Mawloc burrows. Deathleaper trashes manticore. Zoanthropes combine for the flamer vet chimera. Tyrant and Mawloc tear open the CCS chimera.
    KP: 6-1

Turn 4:
    Russes roll on and drop enough genestealers on the right flank to force a leadership check, psyker squad reduces leadership, and they flee. Other shooting only puts two wounds on tyrant, and leaves 6 gaunts.

Mawloc pops back up but scatters of vendetta. Genestealers are within 6” so keep running. Hormagaunts send the flamer vets packing. Tyrant does the same for CCS. Zoanthropes pop the psyker battle squad chimera and melta vet chimera. Genestealers rip through melta vets. Oh, and the deathleaper disappears.
    KP: ?-2

Turn 5:
    Shooting kills Tyrant and puts some wounds on the mawlocs

I kill some more stuff.

Results:
    Primary: KP win
    Secondary: Again, if neither player achieves draw.
    Tertiary: Victory Points win

Round 3

Opponent: Wolves

HQ:
    Logan Grimnar
    Wolf Lord on wolf with 2 wolves
    Rune Caster: Living lightning, Tempests wrath

Elites:
    Lone wolf: w/2 wolves, chainfist, SS
    Lone wolf: w/2 wolves, chainfist, SS

Troops:
    Wolf Guard x5: One with Terminator armor and Cyclone missile launcher.

Fast Attack:
    Thunderwolves x3 all kitted out different
    Thunderwolves x3 all kitted out different

Heavy Support:
    Long fangs x5: 2x Hvy Bolter, 2x Las Cannon
    Seems like a potent but fun list. My monstrous creatures have reason to be scared for sure.

Mission:
    Primary: Center Objective
    Secondary: Three deepstriking objectives
    Tertiary: Kill Points

Again, I win the role and have him go first. Deployment, think diagonal pitched battle. Everything huddles in the middle with the long fangs, Rune priest, and Logan in a building near the edge. No Mawlocs start on the table this round, the tyrant elects to arrive via table edge.

Turn 2
    Everything shuffles around the middle.

Everything arrives except one genestealer squad and a mawloc. The mawlocs pop up and kill a few wolf guard and fenris wolves. Deathleaper, Tyrant, and thropes all camp out on the 2nd story of a ruin, sticking their tongues out at the cav. The zoanthropes manage to insta-kill a cav model. The hormagaunts arrive on the empty table edge and run towards the action

The big event was one stealer squad charging the long fangs. Logan could not wound worth a damn and only manages to kill one. The priest kills a second and I make 3 armor saves from the fangs. I then put a wound on Logan, and kill three long fangs. They make leadership and we pile in.

Turn 3
    He shuffles around yet again and shooting/assaults decimate one Mawloc and wounds another, while they took another fenris wolf or two with them. Worth note was the deathleaper subtracting move through cover dice on a couple rolls, keeping him from assisting Logan and the long fangs.

It is my turn to fail wound rolls and I do nothing to Logan and the longfangs. Logan gives his squad preferred enemy and they again do a horrible job of wounding...killing only 2. I make my leadership roll.

The rest of my reserves arrive. The mawloc kills two more wolf guard near his table edge, hoping to draw his forces away from the other objectives. My other two squads of stealers jump into the Logan combat and clean house. Of note, he did not know that units joining an existing combat in cover get to strike at initiative. He took it in stride and marketed it as a lesson learned.
    The hormagaunts failed leadership and raged towards the thunderwolves...not getting to combat.

Turn 4
    More shuffling, drawing the majority of his force towards the hormagaunts and back towards the mawloc. Again, the mawloc eats chainfists and dies. The hormagaunts are assaulted by a lone wolf and thunderwolves. They do around 4 wounds but lose combat and flee. There are 10 or so left and thankfully they get away.

I move some zoanthropes over to rally the hormagaunts and they regroup around an objective. Shooting kills more wolf guard, leaving one or two left in each squad. The Tyrant jumps down and finishes one of the thunderwolf units off, jumping behind a mawloc afterwards. The deathleaper debates charging the other cav unit but when the zoanthropes whiff he jumps back into cover.

Turn 5
    My genestealers are getting close and my opponent continues to shy away from them. A mawloc dodges around krak missiles and but takes a lone wolf to the face. Everything else positions for a possible turn 6

I realize that my hormagaunts are the only thing holding an objective and they can easily be charged next turn. Most of my genestealers call off the pursuit and head towards objectives. The tyrant eats a wolf guard squad and consolidates on the center objective. The deathleaper disappears. We roll...on to turn 6.

Turn 6:
    His lord leaves the remaining thunderwolves and charges the tyrant along with the last lone wolf. The tyrant gets splattered while doing no damage. The cavalry charge the hormagaunts and the little bugs represent, killing two and wounding the other who is drug down by combat res.

My genestealers capture one objective and line up a charge on the lone wolf and lord. I manage to kill the lone wolf and fenris wolves but the lord survives and contestes the center objective. Deathleaper pops up next to the one objective controlled by my opponent. We roll and the game ends. One more turn would have sealed the deal...oh well.

Results:
    Primary: Center objective, draw
    Seconday: 2-0 win
    Tertiary: KP draw

My last two games, although against superior opponents, were a ton of fun and I had a great time at the tournament.

Run Down:

Tyrant: B+...I have had a lot of difficulty with him in the past. He accounted for numerous kills and managed to survive more fire than normal. The increase to reserves is the only reason he is in the list though.

Deathleaper: B-...managed to destroy the manticore and messed with a few terrain rolls. Never saw combat. Really wanted to guide mawlocs with him but it never happened. He seems necessary for regular hoods however.

Genestealers: A..Cheap, Killy, Scorring. just as good as they were in the last codex.

Hormagaunts: B...they did their fair share of killing, just not as effective vs. armor and require synapse.

Zoanthropes: B+...Did not see much psychic defense and tore throw armor in the second game. If nothing else, not one of them died in any match.

Mawlocs: B+...I have not run trygons yet but a 170 pt anti-armor upon arrival tool does not make me want to.

Thanks For Reading!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the report, was easy to read and detailed congrats on those victorys.
    BEST ARMY APPEARANCE AND OVERALL WINNER OF A LOCAL GW RTT (29-7-06) GODZILLA/CHOIR 2K ARMY LIST

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Great games. I thought you'd have an especially tough time against the Guards but you managed to pull it off nicely. Space Wolves are a tough army and normally a bad matchup for the Nids, but it's good to see you do well against them also.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

+ Reply to Thread