A Trio of Tyranid reports - 1000 point tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

A Trio of Tyranid reports - 1000 point tournament

These reports are from a local tournament that was made up of the couple of gaming groups in the area. Rules are simple enough with 3 rounds. First round is 3 games each to decide who gets to the last 8 (we only had about 16 but they're all good players), then another 3 knockout games to get to the finals, which is at 2500 points. These reports will form the first round, and then I hope to have the knockouts up next Wednesday(ish)

Games were played on 4X4 tables with an hour time limit. All missions were 3 objectives in a triangle in the centre of the board, with kill points used encase of a draw.

Notable lists included a blood angel’s force complete with 2 Baals and razorbacks, a very nasty guard list with 2 vendettas, 3 hydras and a manticore, with melta vets in the valks. There was also a lash/vindicator with Bezerkers and a white scars army, and a very nice looking black templar force, but I have no idea what was in it.

So my list:

Tyrant - 2 sets of talons
    Acid blood
    Hive Commander
    Wings
    Paroxysm and leech essence

3 Zoanthropes in a mycetic spore armed with a venom cannon

20 Hormaguants with toxin sacs

20 guants armed with fleshboarers

Trygon Prime with adrenal glands

Plan was to reserve everything and knock out the hardest units in one swoop, leaving one of the MCs to clean up where needed. Hormaguants were to outflank and the standard guants walked on.

GAME 1

I get the Blood angels list for my first game. It’s a mate of mine who I played with Orks recently and tabled very quickly and he’s using the same list. However since then he’s learned the codex a bit better so this should be a good game.

His list:

Reclusiarch (chaplain type guy)

2 lascannon razorbacks

A rhino

A 5 man assault squad with sanguinary priest and a melta

8 man tactical squad.

5 man tactical squad with a melta (chaplain went here)

2 assault cannon and heavy bolter Baal predators.

Analysis

If I can get rid of those razorbacks quickly enough, I think the Trygon and tyrant can carry the day. The Baals I shall leave to the Zoanthropes.

Deployment - dawn of war

Neither of us deploys, and he takes first turn. Objectives form a triangle of sorts, 1 point towards him in cover, and the other 2 towards me in the open. Not much terrain, a ruin on his objective and a couple of wooded hills on mine are the only notable cover. Theres a small group of craters though, near the 3rd objective.

Turn 1

All his vehicles come on 18"; a razorback drops the priest on an objective in cover toward the top left hand corner and only moves 12. Crucially we decide that, as there is a clear path through the cover, walking between would not require a terrain check, whilst going through a wall or under the walkways would. The Baals form up in the centre, opposite my objectives. The razorbacks and rhinos stick to the far left hand edge. The right is empty.

In my turn I simply open a can of tango. He is very surprised when I don’t bring anything on (I did declare but I don’t think he realised what I meant) but carries on anyway.

SCORE IS 0-1

Turn 2

The transports again move up on the left, they are now halfway down the board, as are the Baals.

In my turn, everything except the Tyrant arrives. The Hormaguants outflank to the left and head towards the priest and co. The Zoanthropes come in to the right of the Baals, and the Trygon drops in near the convoy, but scatters and ends up right in front of the empty razorback. The guants I have a plan for, and they arrive well out of synapse, but run forward as fast as they can, towards the objective to my right, near the Zoanthropes.

The Trygon fails to dent the razorback with its shooting, and one of the Zoanthropes gets perils, but saves itself. The other 2 powers go off, but miss completely.

However in the assault things go much better, and using a good fleet and that corridor of terrain check free ruin, the Hormaguants assault the priest and assault squad. They go first, and despite feel no pain from the priest, wound allocation sees him and the sergeant die. The remaining 3 marines hit twice, but fail to wound with a double 2. A failed LD check later and a no retreat save from being swept (And they shall know no fear meaning they simply now count as fearless) and a 3rd marine falls

SCORE 0-0

Turn 3

This turn marks some very bad decisions by my opponent. Instead of disembarking from his transports and assaulting the Trygon, he moves the Rhino and razorback first, to get out of harms way. This means he loses the re-rolls to hit from the chaplain, not to mention the extra attacks. The Baals both spin to face the Trygon, and the priest razorback retreats to get out of the way as well, heading back round the ruin and the objective.

During the shooting phase, every single weapon is fired at the Trygon, with the razorbacks and melta doing two wounds apiece. With 2 wounds left, the Baals open fire, but fail to rend. However 6 saves sees me lose a wound. A few storm bolters clatter off his carapace to no effect.

And in the assault phase, the Hormaguants deal 11 wounds to the remaining 2 assault marines, who both die under the seething mass of bodies.

In my turn the Tyrant arrives, and deep strikes in front of the Baals, with minimal scatter. The guants that had just come on in the previous turn lurk, and with nothing to shoot, run towards the craters next to the 3rd objective. The Zoanthropes shuffle left slightly, to ensure synapse reaches them for next turn.

In the shooting phase the Trygon shoots the bio field at the 8 man squad, and electrocutes 3 of them. The Hive tyrant tries to leech the squad, but is out of range. Meanwhile the Zoanthropes still can’t get themselves together with 2 of them failing the required psyhic test, and the 3rd missing.

Assault goes well, with the Trygon annihilating the marines before the get to swing, but unfortunately leaving itself open to shooting.

SCORE 2-0

Turn 4

Unsurprisingly, the razorbacks run for it, making the most of that 12" move and shoot from being fast. One heads towards my objective and the guants there, the other heads back toward the ruin, and the Hormaguants babysitting that objective. The ruin razorback shoots and misses the Trygon; the other manages to finish it off though.

Another error in my opinion here, the Baals target the Zoanthropes. I feel if he had targeted the Tyrant, he might have killed it or at least wounded it for later, leaving the Zoanthropes with too many tanks to destroy on their own. However after 8 assault cannon and 12 heavy bolter shots, not a single round makes it through that 3++ save.

Reprisal is swift in my turn, as the tyrant flies over the hill and objective 2, to land in front of the chaplains unit. The Hormaguants are now outside of synapse, so charge the razorback for no good reason. However the other guants are in range of the Zoanthropes, so simply cower quietly in the craters.

Shooting is also very brief, with the tyrant engulfing the chaplains unit with visions of despair and horror (aka paroxysm) and the Zoanthropes getting it together to explode the first Baal.

The tyrant assaults the stricken squad, and deals a wound to the chaplain, who makes all his other saves. He then swings back and does wound the tyrant, only for the burring acid in its blood to kill 2 more marines. The remainder fail to wound, and all no retreat saves are made.

Score 0 - 0

Turn 5

Running out of options, the Baal drives toward objective 3, and is in range to contest. The razorback is in the same position at the ruin, so he could get a draw at this point. In shooting, the Baal kills 9 of the guants despite them going to ground to minimise the damage. The razorback also kills a Hormaguant with the lascannon.

The chaplain is struck by 4 mightly blows of the tyrants talons, and his rozarius fails him killing him and any real hope my opponent had for a draw. The last marine fails his leadership test and flees.

Not a lot happens this turn, the Zoanthropes kill the Baal whilst the tyrant flies over to the ruin razorback and is about to assault it when my opponent concedes.

FINAL SCORE 2-0

Apologies but that’s all I can write for tonight, the other reports will be up by tomorrow with any luck.

Hope you enjoyed it so far.

Last edited by Heirodule; April 29th, 2010 at 13:54.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jboweruk

WOW, you beat the BA with 'nids, impressive, most impressive.... Seriously though, great read, but I think even without his tactical errors you had that sown up, by coming on later you had the battle under control from turn 2 on. I wonder though, whether it might have been over sooner if you'd swapped those Gaunts for Genestealers, even in broods of 10 they are lethal in CC.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Thats a very good point actually (i presume you're talking about the termaguants?) but for the cost of 20 guants you get 7 genestealers, which whilst being vastly more dangerous, wont have the numbers to hold an objective which is really why i had the guants there in the first place. Something to think about i guess.

Thanks for the comments by the way, i tired to make it as enjoyable as possible

Also for those interested, the second (and possibly third) battles will be up later on today for certain.

jboweruk

hmm, true, but that would've given you 14 Genestealers, okay you'd have only had one brood, but 14 does a lot of damage, even to tanks. They are tough hombres, I played a game at our club against BA, and had we got one more turn in, my stealers would have won me the battle (I lost by 1 point). They were poised to kill his last tank, and consolidate towards his last troops. Then on my turn (I lost initiative) they could've charged his last infantry squad, butchered them, and won me the game. Hey ho, that's how the dice falls sometimes. My Mawloc finished all but 2 guys in one squad, then went on to hack a Rhino open before finally succumbing to enemy fire. So even that paid for itself.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

344 (x8)

Right without further ado, game 2

Deployment is pitched battle with the same 3 objectives in a triangle set up as before, with Objective 1 top left, 2 top right and 3 was bottom centre.

My opponent is a guard player ( not the suped up one i mentioned in the initital post but a more fluffy varient based on a US WW2 force)

Heres roughly what he had

Opponents list

Company command squad

2 platoon command squads

4 X 10 Guardsmen (not verterans, which makes a nice change) with an autocannon in each squad.

2 Gryfins (a chimera hulled tank with a Large blast S6 Ap4 cannon that could re-roll scatter. They were also in a squadron.)

3 Mortars

3 More mortars

Leman Russ Demolisher, with Plasma cannon sponsons

A basalisk

Thoughts

The Russ is going to hurt if i cant kill it quickly, but after that when the basalisk falls he dosnt have the damage to finsh the Trygon and Tyrant. - This was possibly one of the most inacurate thoughts i have ever had and cost me dearly.

Deployment

He spreads out all the way across the Board edge with one of the mortar teams on the far left. Its also important i point out that whilst the second squad dont actually arrive in this game, that wasnt my idea. He forgot to deploy and so decided it would be fair to have them come in from reserve. I said put them on straight away, he insisted on rolling for it as he is a very good sport. However he then forogt to roll of reserves for the rest of the game.

Anyway the Russ then deploys ontop of a small hill, with grifons drectly to the right. A platoon comand squad stands behind the tanks, with the other next to the 40 guardsmen deployed on the right in 2 ranks of 20, with a small gap in the row separating the squads. The company command squad sits right at the back, behind them.

Anyway deployment is great for me, as no matter which side my hormaguants come on, they are guarenteed to get an assault.

So we roll off and i get first turn.

Turn 1

I have nothing to do, the leman russ shuiffles forward a bit to get a bit more range.

Turn 2

All hell breaks lose as everthing bar the tyrant arrives and proceeds to do a lot of damage. The Trygon deepstrikes next to objective 2, opposite the 40 guardsmen. The Spore Pod scatters forwards, onto the trygon, but the Reduceing scatter rule saves a misshap.

The Hormaguants turn up on the right too, but a lack of space sees them too far back to get an effictive assault in, to do so would risk going through some cover, so ill settle for the one squad.

Guants move on, and in a rare change of pace, actually end up in synapse.

Shooting is also very effective, the zoanthropes taking aim and obliterating the Demolisher with a single well placed psychic blast. Shrapnel is blown everywhere and a memeber of the platoon command is shredded.

The Trygon is also very effective with its fire, cutting down 7 of the front left guard squad. The only disapointment is the pod, whose venom cannon inflicts 2 wounds on the command squad, but going to ground and cover means no casualtys. A good fleet roll for the hormaguants and guants sees the guants come to the objective, and the hormaguants just getting a charge on the other frontal guardsmen. The squad crippled by the Trygon pass their morale check

Its no contest, and the guardsmen are scythed down and swept by the veroscious assault. Then the hormguants advance straight into the middle of the guard infantry.

His turn 2 sees some key damage done, as every guardsman bar the mortars shuffles over to the hormaguant squad. The Griffons drive over the hill and prepare to open fire on the tide of guants holding the objective.

Orders are all passed, and predicably its First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire. On Every single squad. The Hormaguants never stood a chance, and are cut down to a bug. Things go equally well for the gryffons, the 2 templates dealing an impressive 10 casualtys. (It would have been more but id spaced them out a bit)

The basalisk fires on the clump of models near objective 2, and would of hit the trygon and all 3 zoanthropes. Fortunatly about 3" of scatter sees the trygon spared. A zoanthrope is not so lucky, and takes a shell to the squishy inards of its obseenly large head.

Despite the casulatys i feel ive done very well this turn. The Hormaguants wiping out the guardsmen was idea, as it meant my opponent had a dificult choice, shoot the trygon and leave 20 hormguants to multi assault most of his army, or shoot the Guants and leave a perfectly healthy trygon in perfect possition to assault. I thnik he chose the right descision though.

SCORE 1-0

Turn 3

This turn could hardly of gone any worse. Thigns looked promising, with the arrival of the Tyrant. But the Deep Strike went horribly wrong, and a scatter of 11 sees him misshap onto a Griffon. Any result baring destroyed would have been Okay here, as re-deplying would put him i range of the guants on the objective, and he had the speed anyway to get back, whilst delayed would simply mean automatic arrival next turn. But of course, the dice decide that my Tyrant is going to impale himself on a tank half his size and die from the embarasment of not being able to fly in a straight line and crashing into a battletank.

So with my most expensive model down, i have little movement to do, the trygon caharges forward and the zoans shuffle and swivel to get a line on that Basalisk. The guants move up and out.

The orginal plan was to use the zoanthropes to stop the basalisk from firing for a turn, whilst the Trygon killed some Guardsmen. This was ruined when the zoanthropes decided to mourn their now mushed firend, by doing nothing at all and missing the tank completly. The pod was evidenatally moved aswell, and missed its cannon too.

So the Trygon had to make a quick detour and put a few holes in the Basalisk. It never stood a chance, and was blown to smitherines. a guardsman next to the tank was barbequed in the explosion but no-one else was hurt.

Opponents turn

The guardsmen who had just seen off the hormaguants now train their sites on the monstrosity before them. Their commander is not afraid, for he has a cunning plan. He takes a deep breath and yells at evreyone to FRFSRF. This seems to make sense, so evryone does, no questions asked. With around 80 lasguns and 6 auto cannons heading his way, i am siriously worried for the Trygon, but he survives on 2 wounds. The Griffons can hurt him either, and the mortar squads are too busy moving through the terrain to notice. (it helped a lot that they got a 1 for movement and another 1 for running too)

Ive Survived, but only just, and i cant afford another round like that or im done for.

Score 1-0

Turn 4

This was a quick turn for both of us. The zoanthropes continue to suffle after the Griffons, making sure to maintian synapse with the guants. They leave the objective safe in the knowlege tha the pod will contest it for them.

The Trygon advances into the middle of the Guardsmen.

Shooting is brief, the Zoanthropes manage a weapon destroyed on a griffon, untill i remember Warp Blast is AP1. So it become imbolized, and therefore destroyed under the squadron rules. Result.

The Trygon assault both the 10 man guard squads, and kills 5 from one of them. In return the guardsmen jab at him with their shiny little bayonettes, but do no damage. The untouched squad flees, but the damaged one does not. Great news as it means i cant be shot.

In retaliation, the Griffon kills a further 4 guants thanks to a poor scatter. The mortars now actually managne to go somewhere and run towards objective 1. As things stand now, Objective 1 will be lost, 2 contested and 3 claimed by me. So to avaoid kill points, i need to try and contest 1 with the zoanthropes, whilst staying in synapse of the guants on 3. Everthing else runs towards point 2.

In assult the guardsmen are wiped out.

Turn 5

Another quick turn, with my focus being contesting that 1st objective, but i discover the zoanthropes are too far away, and the Trygon wont make it in time. So i decide to rack up a couple of Kill points, to ensure i get the win that way.

So the trygon shoots a platoon comand squad, killing it and the zoanthropes finish off the remaining griffon.

Im confident here that ill win, but i just have to hope now.

In my opponents turn everything goes to objectives. The Mortar squad (with some Run Run Run help) make it to point 1, and the squad crippled by the Trygon in the second turn makes it to objective 2.

So we roll off to end the game, and its a 2, so the game is ended.

We have a look at the table and after a quick check to see if Spore pods can contest (they can) the final score is

1-1

But seeing as a draw wont do in this tournament, we total up the kill points.

My oponnent scores a total of 2 for the Hormaguants and the Suicidal tyrant, Whilst i have a total of 6, from the Demolisher, 3 of the 4 guard squads, the Griffons and one of the Platoon Comand units.

So thats a second win based on Kill Points after an initial draw, and im pretty pleased so far with my performance. There are about 6 people who have gone 2 for 2 at this point, and im confident i could take most of them, except that guard list i mentioned in the first post. So naturally, thats the list i played against

However that wont be up till tomorrow evening im afraid, but its worth the wait, as its by far the best game of the 3, so please bear with me for the time being. Also my appologies for the inevitable spelling and grammer mistakes, i ran it through a spell check but its a bit late and my vision has turned into a mass of red and green squiggles so ill correct them as i post the 3rd report.

Hope you enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Heirodule; April 30th, 2010 at 01:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Nice reports. Congratz on the second win despite your Hive Tyrant flying while intoxicated.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Great games so far. I always like to see nids do well, especially one not relying on a lot of Tyranid Monstrous Creatures. They're much harder to play in competitive environments.

However, you did make a mistake.

The Trygon assault both the 10 man guard squads, and kills 5 from one of them. In return the guardsmen jab at him with their shiny little bayonettes, but do no damage. The untouched squad flees, but the damaged one does not. Great news as it means i cant be shot.
    A model cannot charge 2 different units. A squad consisting of more than 1 model can, but not a single model.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

344 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    A model cannot charge 2 different units. A squad consisting of more than 1 model can, but not a single model.
    Really? I had some vague idea in my head the if the model assaults a unit and that happens to take it into combat with a second unit, its legal. Well good spot anyway, ill remember that for next time.

And im very pleased to see everyones enjoying them, thanks for your support

Last edited by Heirodule; April 30th, 2010 at 15:29.

jboweruk

I thought so too, as per the rules involving combat you are allowed to attack any model in base contact as long as you were in base contact at the start of the combat round... Any unit can only physically declare a charge on a single enemy unit, but can be brought into base contact if that happens. So I thought.

Either way great batrep, and loved your bit about the Tyrant, that made me chuckle.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by jboweruk View Post
    I thought so too, as per the rules involving combat you are allowed to attack any model in base contact as long as you were in base contact at the start of the combat round.
    That's right, you can can attack any models in base contact...however, you still can't charge more than 1 unit at a time unless you do a multi-assault, and that would require the unit to consist of more than 1 model. So you charge 1 unit. Next turn his other unit assaults you and now you can choose to attack either units that are engaged with you as you would then be in b-t-b with both units.

Quote Originally Posted by BRB, p.34 - Moving Assault Models
    ...assaulting models may still not move through friendly or enemy models, may not pass through gaps narrower than their base, and may not move into base contact with enemy models from a unit they are not assaulting.
    Thus, you declare the charge and the 1st model in the unit may only charge the that unit. Subsequent models are free to engage in other units if they can reach them and as long as they maintain coherency.
    Last edited by jy2; April 30th, 2010 at 18:32.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast