Necron vs. Imperial Guard Campaign (five battles, from 200 to 1700 points) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Necron vs. Imperial Guard Campaign (five battles, from 200 to 1700 points)

I've just finished a five mission campaign with my Revenant Moon Necrons against my friends Imperial Guards. The missions varied from 200 point Kill Team match to 1700 point annihilation game. More on the campaign setup and specific mission rules can be found here.

As there is five games to report there will be a *lot* of text. Apologies for that

#1 Bad landing (500 points)

”It was raining. Hard. The water was turning everything into a slippery mud. We had almost zero visibility in the jungle. The first thing I saw was Johnson getting hit by something... some kind of energy beam that tore his face off. Then we saw the shapes...”
    - Private Harris, survivor from Aleph 112 crash-site

”Enemy presence [TYPE: HUMAN] detected. Activating the primary responce group. Activating the primary awakening commander [CODE: SILVER].”
    - Nodal Command System, Revenant Moon Tomb World

Necron List:

Lord + Res Orb.
    Warrior Squad. (10 warriors)
    Warrior Squad. (10 warriors)

Imperial Guard List:

Captain
    Command Sq. and Master of Ordnance
    Veteran Sq.
    Veteran Sq.

The first mission was an annihilation game with pitched battle deployment. Imperial guard had the disadvantage of deploying first and starting second. However, he did get to pick the table edge and the terrain itself was literally filled with jungle bushes, providing ample of cover saves.

Turn #1:

Necron forces start by running towards the Imperials, trying to get to rapid fire range as fast as possible while staying out of the terrain (which is all dangerous if you move through it).

Imperial guard squad with flamers runs to act as cover in front of other squads and the master of ordnance launches an orbital strike but misses all necrons.

Turn #2:

Necrons continue to run, forsaking all shooting.

Imperial guard opens up with command of ”First rank, fire! Second rank, fire!” unloading lots of lasgun fire. The orbital also hits killing one warrior and pinning the squad.

Turn #3:

Now at rapid fire range the necrons spread out and move forward, gaussing the guardsmen killing one.

The nearest imperial guard veteran squad closes the gap, fires the flamers and assaults the necrons, but fail to pierce their metal bodies and loses the assault, running away.

Turn #4:

Eager to capitalize on my last rounds success I gauss some of the running guards from afar and assault the second guard with my lord and his squad of warriors. Staff of light cuts a good harvest and lord wins the assault sending the second squad on a run.

Both of his broken squads promptly exiting the table edge the imperial guards player finds himself running out of men. Realizing I already collected two kill points and he still has none he takes the risk and his command squad heroically assaults the warriors but fails to break the necron warriors and ends up running too.

Turn #5:

Necron warriors gauss the running command squad and lord detaches himself to make a daring, lone assault into command squad. This last melee breaks the command squad and game is over with three kill points for necrons and none for the guard.

Necrons win.

#2 CSAR (200 points, Kill Team)

”We have reached the drop-site, starting to recon the area. No sign of our survivors, except for the trail leading south. Presumably they are converging to original drop-zone. No sign of battle, but some of the tracks here seem strange... The rain is making them hard to read but they seem fresh. Too fresh... as if someone had just... Shit! Contact! Contact!”
    -Corporal Fremon, Voxcaster operator

”Death is inevitable... Manflesh will not leave this world. [sound of high-energy discharge, possibly a weapon]”
    -Unidentified (xenoform?) voice heard from corporal Fremons voxcaster

Necron list:

5 Pariahs

Imperial Guard list:

Sergeant
    Sniper
    5 Stormtroopers
    10 Veterans with shotgun

This one was a pretty normal kill team game with night fighting rules and a special rule which makes all difficult terrain dangerous. Imperial guard has a slight advantage as I deploy first and he starts. I am personally a bit worried about the sheer number of models in his kill team (17 against my 5), but I trust the Pariahs are a tough nut to crack... And I could not resist the idea of seeing a group of Pariahs hunting manflesh in dark jungle. Besides, the kill teams would be part of the army list in last (1700 point) game of the campaign and I had high hopes on what they could accomplish against the guards.

Turn #1:

Both sides move and fire. Necrons score three kills, guard gets none.

Turn #2:

Imperial move and fire, killing one Pariah and assaulting a second. Warscythe hits true and cuts down one guard in close combat. Pariahs respond assaulting everything they can, cutting down four more guards.

Turn #3:

Imperial maneuver to get their hotshot lasers into bear and kill one Pariah with hotshot. Eager to keep the pariahs from exploiting the fire power of the gauss blaster they assault the remaining close combats losing one more guardsman. Pariahs cut down two more in their turn.

Turn #4:

Running fast out of troops the guardsmen assault with all shotgun men left but have trouble getting wounds through to toughness 5. On their turn the Pariah warscythes cut down two more guards in assaults.

Turn #5:

With almost everyone tied to close combat the guardsmen fight bravely but lose two more guardsmen and fail their morale roll.

Necron. win

Last edited by Polaria; May 5th, 2010 at 21:20.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

#3 Slumbering Giant (1000 points)

”They called the drop site 'Slumbering giant' because someone though the hills looked like there was some sort of huge beast sleeping under them. Well, when we landed near the radio-markers we found the beast. And it wasn't sleeping...”
    -Private Gregory, survivor of Expedition Aleph 112

”Reserve command group activated. Proceeding to the site of the detected signals. Annihilating the manflesh.”
    -Nodal Command System, Revenant Moon Tomb world

Necron list:

Lord + orb
    Warrior squad (10 warriors)
    Destroyer squad (4 destroyers)
    Scarab Swarms (6 bases)

Imperial Guard list:

Captain
    Veteran Sq.
    Veteran Sq.
    Command sq., lieutenant with powersword,
    Infantry Sq., comissar
    Infantry.Sq., priest
    Mortar Sq.
    Flamer Sq.
    Melta Sq.
    Psyker Sq. (5 members)

This mission was tailored to heavily favor imperial guard. Its seize ground with three objectives and night fighting rules. Necron is forced to deploy first with initiative automatically going to imperials. However, the twist here is that imperial guard deploys half of his forces by deep strike rules (can move on first round) and rest of his troops arrive later... on turn 3 to be specific as I won mission #1. My deployment is tied up by mission rules: my troops sit on one objective and everything else on second one. Imperial deployment by deep strike succeeds pretty well... Almost too well with pretty much everyone dropping right where intended, except for the command squad, which gets delayed.

Turn #1:

Imperial guards move around a bit to scatter his troops and form a shielding line of infantry around psykers and mortars. His tactic seems to be to survive at any cost untill the round 3 when the reinforcements arrive. For starters he pours loads and loads of lasgunfire on my warriors, downing five necrons. I only get one back by WBB and decide to go in hard, trying to kill as much as I can as long as I have the advantage of numbers. I proceed to use my destroyers and warriors to kill off all the meltas, majority of psykers and one squad of infantry.

Turn #2:

Imperial command squad deep strikes nicely and mortars whack my warriors for a few casualties. The comissar executes the sergeant from the remains of the infantry squad and decides to buy time by charging with the last infantryman alive. He dies in his heroic charge, getting cut down by warriors. I realize that I have to get two objectives to win and since I only have two scoring units I must make a tactical movement back to safety to conserve my scoring units. Lacking warriors fire I am forced to use destroyers to do a risky advance very near the guard and shoot up flamer squad. Meanwhile my scarabs turboboost nearer to remaining psykers and the commands squad.

Turn #3:

Imperial guard doesn't want his command squad and psykers to get eaten by scarabs so he falls back from objective #3 to avoid scarabs. His reserve troops arrive, promptly charging the destroyers near the table edge, managing to sweep off one of my destroyer units and tie the second into close combat. My turn is almost catastrophic. My warriors miss their vision roll and can't shoot, while the destroyers lose their close combat and run. The only good thing is that I can run the second warrior squad to objective #2, so now I can claim two.

Turn #4:

Imperial guard player decided to fill the field with meat to overload the necrons programming with targets... besides he has to get moving to reach the objectives. His daring assault manages to kill off my remaining destroyers. Being taken down to warriors and scarabs I detach the lord from his unit, join up with scarabs and move scarabs up front to screen my warriors. Lords shooting manages to make one squad run. Unfortunately the rest of the warriors miss their vision (again) with a roll of 3 and I miss another turn of shooting.

Turn #5:

Imperial guard moves ahead and shoots away the scarab screen. Meanwhile his command squad and psykers move back to objective #3. Out far near the objective #2 the charge of veterans hits home and warriors meet the manflesh in close combat. Its coming down to triarii with my necrons and I must trust the warriors to make me proud again. The lord, together with the remaining warriors near objective #1 manage to consolidate the objective by shooting up the closing guardsmen into the open.The warriors far back hold their ground in close combat leaving objective #2 contested... and game goes into turn 6 by each holding one objective and one being contested.

Turn #6:

Imperial guards plays it safe and tries to use the mortars and orbital strike to turn the tide on objective #1, managing to force a moral check with little effect. The few remaining warriors near objective #1 finally succeed their vision roll and manage to kill one mortar. Lord moves to counter-charge the melee in objective #2 but the close-combat remain locked. Game ends into draw with one objective for both sides and one contested.

#4 Cat & Mouse (200 point Kill Team)

”You want what? We've been chased by these monsters for whole night... Half of the team is missing and instead of coming back to drop-zone you want us to DELAY them? The only way we can delay any more is by them tripping over our dead corpses!”
    -Private Ferguson, CSAR team

”The main symptoms of the disease called 'humanity' that inhabits the manflesh is the inability to deal logically with the unpredictable, chaotic nature of the universe. Every time when faced with an unpredictable event the manflesh reacts in same pattern: First there is disbelief, then fear, then anger and finally despair. These reactions are hardwired into the manflesh and thus unavoidable. What we can do is the hide when they don't believe in us, hit them hard when they are afraid and defend our tombs to weather their anger... Finally, with anger spent they enter despair. Then the harvest is ready for reaping.”
    -Pariah Xeros, Revenat Moon Tomb world

Due to my success in the first Kill Team game I was pretty confident in the ability of my Pariahs to take on the imperial kill team. However, he could win the scenario by getting half of his team off the board by entering my table edge which meant that this would be more about sneaking, using terrain and running on his part while I had to play catch, trying to protect the whole table edge with just five pariahs... and it was still night fight.

Turn #1:

Due to large amounts of terrain blocking lines of sight the pariahs manage to see and kill only one guardsman. Meanwhile imperials sneak up and charge one pariah, killing it with one loss to themselves.

Turn #2:

With guardsmen scattering around the table my pariahs finally find some lines to shoot and kill four guardsmen. Imperials retaliate with a hotshot laser, sending one pariah to final death.

Turn #3:

Pariahs shoots two guardsmen and assault one, scything it down. Imperial guards display some very poor shooting with shotguns but manage to hotshot down one more pariah.

Turn #4:

The remaing two pariahs try hard to shoot the guards but manage little with camo-cloak cover saves saving Imperials time after time. Imperials are already down to less than half models so they must survive total aannihilation and try to win the morale. They do some good shooting, scoring solidly on one pariah, but luckily I got Feel No Pain to him as one of my special skills. Imperials fail the morale, leaving the game as one more necron win.

#5 Awakening (1700 points)

”I will break in the doors of hell and smash the bolts; there will be confusion of people, those above with those from the lower depths. I shall bring up the dead to eat food like the living; and the hosts of the dead will outnumber the living."

Necron list:

Lord + orb
    Lord + destro body, warscyther
    Pariah sqaud (5 pariahs)
    Scarab Swarms (6 bases)

Imperial Guard List:

Captain
    Stormtrooper Sq.
    Veteran Sq.
    Veteran Sq.
    Veteran Sq.
    Command sq., lieutenant with powersword,
    Infantry Sq., comissar
    Infantry.Sq., priest
    Mortar Sq.
    Flamer Sq.
    Melta Sq.
    Psyker Sq. (5 members)
    Command squad
    Infantry Sq., comissar
    Infantry Sq., priest
    Demolition Sq.
    Sniper Sq.
    Ratling sniper Sq.

Turn #1:

Imperial guard starts his turn by standing still behind ample cover and shooting with everything. I've deployed almost everything to the table in hopes of giving him more than enough targets to spread his initial fire on, but Dawn of War deployment means it will be harsh. The massed mortar and lasgunfire kills off a whole squad of destroyers and I'm starting to hate hearing that ”first rank, fire! Second rank, fire!”. My lords warrior squad takes lasfire and psykers user theie electrokinetic withery to make them run. Destroyers fail three out of four WBBs and the only successfully self-repaired destroyers joins the second (and last) destrosquad. I'll shoot down seven guardsmen but to little effect.

Turn #2:

Master of Ordnance manages to orbitalstrike imperial guard flamer squad into oblivion and demolition charges wreak havoc on my destroyers. I'll succeed both of my reserve rolls and get my trusty Lord of Flies with his scarab entourage and my Pariahs to the field. While Lord of Flies sweeps around the right side of the board to get into assault range my Pariahs come in from the enemy table edge to threaten those hated psykers. The demolition squad falls to warrior gausses and Pariahs charge a veteran squad, killing them to the last man and consolidating within seven (!) inches of the psykers.

Turn #3:

Imperial guard player starts to be really afraid for his psykers and pours a huge amounts of fire into the pariahs, even going to the lenght of forsaking orbital strike in order to move his command squad to shoot at them. The pariahs go down, but they've bought me a whole turn without almost no enemy fire hitting my warriors. Scarab entourage get flamed, but their lord is still with them. Fate (or dark powers?) intervene when the psykers try to witch my lords squad and blow themselves with perils of the warp. On my round the trusty necron warriors close in, gaussing down yet another batch of manflesh, aiming to force a lot of morale saves. Lord of Flies charges into a great melee and gets tied into it.

Turn #4:

Imperial guard has now slaughtered the pariahs so its back to pouring fire on my warriors. However, his casualties are piling up so their momentum of fire is diminished resulting not that many downed warriors. My warriors close in at steady phase, weathering fire and gaussing like no tomorrow, forcing multiple squads of guardsmen to throw their nuts into ground. Lord of Flies charges the already fleeing units who fail the morale and are swept to oblivion.

Turn #5:

The kill points are at even 4 to 4 and last turn starts so its time to make the moves for win. Imperial guard decides that it is time to sacrifice the firepower and push the troops into a final charge. My warriors lose the assault but hold out. Necron warriors shoot up what they can and counter-charge with everything... including destroyers. Still, I fail to break the guardsmen morale as the comissars shoot the first mutineers. Game ends into a draw with both sides having four kill points.

My experiences of Necrons:
    • I respect my warriors more and more every game. It seems to be that whenever things get tough, its the warriors that I can trust.
    • Pariahs are a great unit but only for very specific purposes... and this time that purpose was to be a Kill Team and to threaten the psykers. Even if they did not kill the psykers the enemy could not ignore them and was forced to concentrate overwhelming amounts of fire on killing them.
    • Destroyers work best by zooming around, killing off smaller squads like command squads.
    • Against guard it does not pay up to play shooty, necrons must get close and even charge the guard as guardsmen in cover can outshoot them.

My suggestions for Imperial guards:
    • Against necrons always take priests. Guards pretty much must win the assault on first turn against warriors or warriors toughness and armor save starts to turn the melee into necrons favor.
    • Against necrons meltas aren't that good. They are simply too expensive for shooting toughness 5 units like pariahs, destroyers or immortals and against monolith they simply don't cut it. Take flamers to provide that extra oomph for your assaults and to defend against warriors or scarabs that get close. Take snipers to down destroyers, pariahs and immortals. Take lascannons or power fists for monolith.
    • Psyker squad is your friend. Always shoot everything else first and when you see what squads are forced to roll morale hit them with psykers. Even necrons run when you witch them with your psykers.
    • Pieplates are your friend against necrons. Necrons want to stay close to their lords and pretty close to each other to concentrate fire.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

Seems very one sided, although the imperial guard may not have been able to deploy tanks in this environment, that is a huge disadvantage(I've never seen a competitive list without any tanks or flyers.)

Even in a 500 point game I would take a Leman russ.

Take lascannons or power fists for monolith.
    IG power fists are super weedy, they can't do anything to a monolith.
    Lascannon are very unreliable at BS3 and need a 6 to penetrate.
    Meltas are the best chance, or you could just ignore it.

Against necrons meltas aren't that good. They are simply too expensive for shooting toughness 5 units like pariahs, destroyers or immortals and against monolith they simply don't cut it.
    I don't know what rules you were using, meltas are anti tank weapons, best thing we have for armour killing.

Pieplates are your friend against necrons. Necrons want to stay close to their lords and pretty close to each other to concentrate fire.
    I agree , but this guy should have had a hell of a lot more of them if he was to stand any kind of chance.

That guy must be awesome to have drawn 2 of the games

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Meltas cant penatrate Monoliths. Monliuths ignore the malta, lance, and a few other armour penatrating special rules, so yeah lascannons do work a lot better against them than meltaguns.

I have tp agree with The Emperors Kid though, IG infantry arent great at killing stuff unless given proper fire lasnes or vehicular support, and from your descriptions of the jungle you were fighting in and his army list he had neither.

Also your friend didnt seem like much of a strategist from his tactics, assaulting Necron Pariahs with small numbers of IG infantry. His army lists were weak, and he made a number of other mistakes.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Full Infantry Guard is still propobably most daunting list that ever apeared in my warped mind. On 2k you can have just tooo many heavy weapon/special weapon armed squads to face. That's simply too much firepower. Or you can make large mobs of infantry even without Kill Points in. Anyway, Commissars are Infantry Guards' best friends... as long as you keep them in large formations.

And hell knows why he used snipers or mortars. Priests are also not funky at all - they are Independent Characters and will get quickly. Not to mention S3 no PW attacks aren't even worthy those re-rolls against Necrons. Flamers aren't as well. Best Special Weapons Guard can field against Necrons is plasma, being pretty much rapid-firing melta...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

I agree on plasmas being pretty badass against necrons. Many people are just afraid of Gets Hot!

Anyway, I do disagree on some points with Dire. Flamers and mortars did quite a lot in the fight for their points. Yes, necrons get armor save and WBB, but unlike other MEQs Necrons have to stick close to the lord (and thus close to each other) so you templates and blasts tend to cover 5 to 6 models each and every time.

As for priests... I can't honestly see how a S3 power weapon would be better than massed rerolls. After all, you have to remember that while I had 50 models on the table he had almost 150 so any assault has to be looked not 1 vs 1, but 2 or 3 vs 1. Even necrons are not immune to dice. You force enough saves and some of them will fail and when it comes to assaulting necrons IG has to win on the round they assault or not at all. If necrons get to assault or the combat drags to next round the guard is toast.

As for Infantry vs. Mech in this case I'm with Dire. I simply can't imagine a guard mechanized list which would be harder for me than infantry horde. Guard has to basically stay away from necrons and shoot them up untill the necrons are so close that the only thing they can do is charge before charged. Even a humble 18 pt necron warrior can (with his mates) turn a chimera (or leman russ) into immobile, weaponless terrain piece in very short time so rather than taking more of "self-propelled-terrain" if I was an IG player going against necrons I'd take more lasguns... a lot more.

In any case the cheesiest things in both sides lists (Leman Russes, C'tans and Monoliths) were missing on both sides so I think the armies were quite even matched at that point. I'm also sure that next time my necrons take on the guard he will have even more lasguns, even more mortars and probably some plasmas. We'll see it then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

Meltas cant penatrate Monoliths. Monliuths ignore the malta, lance, and a few other armour penatrating special rules, so yeah lascannons do work a lot better against them than meltaguns.
    whoa, No one ever told me that!
    I never even try to kill monoliths normally, just kill necrons till they phase out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by sonoftheemperor View Post
    whoa, No one ever told me that!
    I never even try to kill monoliths normally, just kill necrons till they phase out.
    Yeah everything that hits them is at normal strength with no special penatration, (the only exceptions are modifiers to the table (glance, AP1) and power fists. Lances, meltas, monsterous creatures... They all lose their bonuses against monoliths.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

+ Reply to Thread