1st Terran vs Chaos: Campaign mission - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jboweruk

1st Terran vs Chaos: Campaign mission

A bit uneven this one, due to Planetary Empires rules but here goes:

BATTLE REPORT:
    IG Vs Chaos
    Mission: Battle missions book, Eldar Pre-Emptive strike (IG as Eldar on attack). Chaos score 2 for each destroyed unit
    IG score 1 for troops, 2 for anything else except HQ, 3 for HQ.

Campaign mission, due to tiles and other factors Chaos have smaller army.

IG: 1711 Points
    Command squad:
    Company commander with Power fist & Bolter, Plasma gunner, Flamer, Vox Caster

Lord Commissar with bolter & sword

Troops: All commanders have melta bombs
    Mordian Vets: Demolitions team, grenade launcher, melta gun, heavy team w/ lascannon.

Red Platoon:
    Command squad: Commander with bolter, plasma gun, vox caster
    Squad 1: flamer, Missile Launcher, vox caster, krak grenades
    Squad 2: vox caster, Lascannon, krak grenades

Yellow Platoon:
    Command squad: commander with bolter, vox caster, flamer, plasma gun x2
    Squad 1: krak grenades, vox caster, Mortar
    Squad 2: Mortar
    Squad 3: Heavy weapons squad, 3 X lascannons

Green Platoon:
    Command squad: commander with bolt pistol, vox caster, plasma gun X2
    Squad 1: vox caster, flamer, Heavy Bolter
    Squad 2: vox caster, melta gun

HEAVY SUPPORT:
    Leman Russ ‘Fear Nought’, Knight Commander Pask in command, Hunter Killer missile, HB sponsons, lascannon, Battlecannon, fitted with dozer blade
    Leman Russ ‘Semper Fi’, HB sponsons, lascannon, Battlecannon
    Demolisher ‘Man Drupp’, Plasma cannon sponsons, lascannon, Demolisher cannon

CHAOS ARMY: 1071 Points

HQ: Chaos lord, Lightning claw, plasma pistol, mark of slaanesh

Troops:

10 X Khorne Berserkers: 2 plasma pistols, Skull Champ has pp and power fist
    10 X Khorne Berserkers: 2 plasma pistols, skull champ has power sword
    10 X Chaos marines: plasma gun, heavy bolter, aspiring champ with power fist and PP

Heavy Support: Predator tank, lascannon sponsons, Autocannon turret.

Turn 1:

Night rules in effect this turn. Guard to take first turn:

Guard moved only the three tanks, then fired 2 mortars blind at Khorne berserkers, followed by ‘Fear Nought’ firing her battlecannon, killing 4 Khorne guys who failed their cover save.
    ‘Semper Fi’ out of position, ‘Man Drupp’ elected to fire at Khorne, but missed.

Chaos moved up with everything, they were out of range, and the Predator failed to see anything in the darkness.

Turn 2:

Again the IG stayed put. Forming a firing line, they knew the chaos had to come at them through the city. ‘Fear Nought’ let rip at the Predator, stunning her crew into inactivity. ‘Man Drupp’ let loose at the enemy commnader, a hit, but saved by invuln. Meanwhile ‘Semper Fi’ had found range, and her lascannon blasted the enemy HQ to smoke.
    Mortars failed to hit anything, lascannon teams failed to hit anything.

Chaos continued their advance through the buildings, using them for cover, the Predator moved to within a few inches of the ‘Fear Nought’ in the hope that friendly fire would help the cause. (Only as I write this do I remember she should not have moved, oops).

Turn ends: IG 3, Chaos 0

Turn 3:

IG fire on the closest Khornites, finishing them in a searing blast of ordnance to which their saves did no good. After surviving this the Skull Champion saved against a lascannon from the ‘Semper Fi’ only to be cut down by her Heavy bolters. ‘Fear Nought’ let rip on the Predator again, this time shaking her crew.

The enemy once more kept the predator close to the ‘Fear Nought’, relying on friendly fire to save her.

Khorne and Marines push through the buildings for cover.

IG: 4 Chaos: 0

Turn 4:

The ‘Fear Nought moves back, while ‘Semper Fi’ turns to face the Khorne about to assault her from a nearby building. ‘Man Drupp’ is delayed from moving to assist Green platoon by Mordian vets in the road. Green Platoon receive ‘First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire’ from their commander, but fail to do any damage to the Chaos marines in the nearest building. ‘Man Drupp’ can see through the window from where she is however and lets rip the Demolisher cannon, with a shattering blast that has Chaos marines ducking their heads, she turns 2 to soup. Her lascannon shot goes wide.
    ‘Fear Nought’ both immobilizes and stuns the Predator, she will be doing little more this battle.
    ‘Semper Fi’ backed up by the yellow command team plasma guns, fires at the nearest Khorne guys, killing a couple of them.

Chaos Marines stay put, while the Khorne boys go after the ‘Semper Fi’
    Marines fire at the guys from Green Platoon, killing one who failed to duck in time. The Khorne berserkers rush the ‘Semper Fi’ and in moments the crew can be heard screaming as their tank burns around them.

IG: 4 Chaos: 2

Turn 5:

IG don’t take this lying down, ‘Fear Nought’ backs off, while the Vets move up into the building near the Predator, ready to charge. Another volley from Green Platoon fails to kill any marines, while ‘Man Drupp’ fires wildly and kills just one marine this time.

‘Fear Nought’ fails abysmally to do more than stun the predator. While a throw in a million from the vets sees their demo charge attach itself to the starboard lascannon, destroying that sponson’s ability to fire. They then charge into the Predator, and several well placed Melta bombs torch the crew inside.

Chaos marines open fire, killing 2 more Guardsmen, while the berserkers move away from the ‘Semper Fi’ to attempt to get at the nearby guardsmen

IG 6: Chaos 2

Turn 6

IG let rip at the nearby marines, failing to hurt them. Even the ‘Man Drupp’ fails dismally to inflict any damage.

Khorne berserkers, in the hope of a quick points score, shoot the heavy weapons team, but to their dismay although they kill 2 teams from the 3, the remaining team stay put hurling insults at them.

The match ends, IG win by 4 points. Not really an unexpected score, though mostly thanks to the 3 LRBT variants. By keeping that Pred out of the fight, and forcing the few troops chaos had to come to them, the IG had it easy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Wow. Outnumbered by 640pts. It's a wonder Chaos didn't get tabled.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

jboweruk

A bit better dice rolls they might have. IG only lost 7 men and a tank, which is still fairly impressive. As the campaign unfolds they could find themselves on the receiving end of this. However, they have fought far closer matches and still won. And with pretty light casualties. Those LRBT's are worth their weight in gold when they all take the field together.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Seems unbalanced to me, I'd have a big issue with being down that many points. Around 100 or so is fine to have an acceptable advantage. Decently written but those lists hurt me inside.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

jboweruk

You tend to find in Planetary Empires balanced games are a rarity. with a downer of 50 points per excess tile, and the enemy holding some 19 tiles over and above the guard, these kind of battles are common in the early stages. Add into that the rules I have for factories, cities, spaceports etc. And it can quickly tip it in the favour of whoever is holding the planet. Guard got lucky on this one. It makes it a tactical idea to go after factories/cities etc. As that can give you huge advantages. I just played a marine vs. Chaos with a bigger margin still, and the marines barely clung on despite the thousand point discrep in their favour. War isn't about balance, it's about using what you can to beat an army, whether you are larger or they are.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

It's not war though, it's a game. All I'm saying is such unbalanced games are bad, they can't be much fun as a fair game. That also has a steam roll effect where the army with those advantages gets more and more. Just because a really bad player almost lost with +1000 points doesn't fix it.

Anyway, not going to change I suppose.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Just for the reader's info, planetary empire campaigns are never really balanced. The more you win, the more benefits you normally get. However, how they "balance" it out - and I say that very loosely - is this:

Whichever side has the most "tiles", or territory on the planetary empire map, at the end of the campaign wins. Each tile is worth some points, say 50 in a typical game. Thus, if 1 side has X number of tiles more than the other side, then the other side gets X*50 points as a handicap. Thus, if the Imperium had 10 more tiles than Xenos, then every game played, Xenos would have 500 more points than the Imperial army. As xenos win and takes tiles, that bonus would drop to 450, 400, 350 and so on until the number of tiles are equal again. In other words, the more 1 side wins, the bigger the handicap it has. Thus in the batrep, IG must be down by a lot of tiles in order to have such a big points advantage in the game over Chaos.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

jboweruk

They are currently, it's going to change over time though. As you rightly pointed out, tiles means advantage lost. As your army gets spread out. Mine is also very much a narrative campaign, it was never designed to be particularly fair to either side, you get any advantage you can. And since they're both my armies, as are the marines, Eldar and 'nids in the campaign, I'm never going to be on the winning/losing side. I'm just controlling them. It's kind of like playing chess with yourself. To play that fairly is a real accomplishment, so is this. Which is why sometimes one side wins, sometimes the other. I have to retain my neutrality, which is really hard when secretly you want the good guys to win. But to prove I am fair, my own army have been rather heavily slaughtered on a number of occasions. And TBH, an equal Chaos force does tend to win. Marines only seem to beat them when they have a massive advantage. Khorne berserkers and Possessed are lethal up close. And it don't take long in a city for that to happen, less in a PS game.

@ Prince of Excess - it's not about being a bad commander, I was controlling both armies, it was about luck, dice rolls that favoured the Chaos team, lucky DS raids that put hefty units between the marines and objectives, another turn or 2 would likely have seen a different outcome in today's battle. In this one? Well I did what any sane commander would do, held back and forced the chaos boys to move up. Annihalation suits the Guard, whatever way you look at it, even balanced, 3 LRBT's are deadly to any army, I did what I would have done even had the battle been less one sided, I fired at the combat troops first, get rid of them, it saves the guard a lot of hurt. I wish my marine army had them, the Predator pales by comparison to that kind of firepower.

jboweruk

I thought about this battle a lot over the last 24 hours, and you know it could've been very different. Chaos didn't lose because of the size (or lack thereof) of their army, they lost because I made 2 very important tactical errors.

1/ those berserkers should not have shot the heavy weapons squad, they should have charged the vets. Probably wiping them out that same turn for 2 points.
    2/ those Chaos marines should not have stood in that building slugging it out, they should have crossed the street and charged, probably getting another 2 kill points in the process.

Both these would also have rendered the tanks worthless by then. And with hindsight, maybe knowing they were against guard, a Defiler would have been a far better choice of vehicle, it's battlecannon would have had the guard p* ing in their trousers, while once it closed up it would have begun chomping through their gun line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Missions with big points difference can be fun when objectives are balances to compensate for it. With his army almost twice smaller then yours, two KPs per one is somehow... a fail. 3 would be good thing, as he not only can deal far less damage, but also can sustain far less.

And in such case his impressive score would win him a draw, against all odds.

I think campaign that tends to be war-like should have more war-like objectives than "slaughter everyone you see, especially when you're almost alone versus lots of big guns". I could understand if they were performing ritual to summon a Chaos Gate and needed to buy their sorcerers some time... until the real fun along with payback begins. Or so. In example: so many such and such IG infantry units have to achieve entrance to some underground compound in his deployment zone in five turns. Or Chaos has to be tabled by turn 4. And such.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast