'Ard Boyz 5/15/10 - Space Wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

'Ard Boyz 5/15/10 - Space Wolves

Finally, today was the day of the tournament. We played at Game Kastle in San Jose, California and the turnout seemed to be decent. I think there were 26 players. I brought my Space Wolves with a slight modification (I added a vindicator for more offense). I believe I was the only Space Wolf player there. Some of the competition included (that I recalled seeing):

4-5 Chaos Space Marines
    3-4 Blood Angels
    3-4 Nids
    3-4 Orks
    2 Imperial Guards
    1 Eldar
    1 Dark Angels
    1 Space Wolves (me)
    1 Tau
    Several Space Marine chapters

I didn't see any Daemons, Dark Eldar, Necrons or Witchhunters.

I brought my camera but took few pictures as we were mainly pressed for time (didn't finish my 1st 2 games) and I was too immersed in the games. Also, as there was a lot happening and little time, I was not able to take notes. Thus, these batreps will be just summaries as opposed to full reports.

First of all, my list:

SPACE WOLVES (My list)
    Ragnar Blackmane
    Rune Priest Blackheart - Chooser, Jaws, Living Lightning
    Rune Priest Loki - Boltgun, Chooser, Hurricane, Living Lightning
    Rune Priest Goldmoon - Jaws, Tempest's Wrath

Inquisitor Ally - Auspex, Bolt pistol, Emperor's Tarot, Targeter, 2x Mystics
    4x Wolf Guards - 2x Combi-flamers, 2x Combi-meltas, 4x Powerfists (attached to Grey Hunters)
    4x Wolf Guards - 4x Combi-meltas, 1x Power Weapon (PW attached to Grey Hunters)

Drop Pod
    Land Raider - Extra Armor, Multi-melta

10x Grey Hunters - 2x Meltaguns, Power weapon, Wolf Standard
    8x Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Power weapon, Wolf Standard (WG here)
    6x Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Power weapon, Wolf Standard, Rhino (WG here)
    6x Grey Hunters - Flamer, Power weapon, Wolf Standard, Rhino (WG here)
    6x Grey Hunters - Flamer, Power weapon, Wolf Standard, Rhino (WG here)
    5x Grey Hunters - Meltagun (Power weapon WG here)

2x Drop Pods
    3x Rhinos

6x Long Fangs Alpha - 5x Missile Launchers
    5x Long Fangs Beta - 4x Missile Launchers
    Vindicator

Total - 2500

SCENARIO 1

Seize Ground - 5 objectives
    Modified Pitched Battle w/the center line being a diagonal from 1 table corner to the other

I played against David's very tough Imperial Guards. He actually forgot to bring his infantry with him, but I was nice enough to let him play with proxies until his friend could bring it to him about an hour into the game.

IMPERIAL GUARDS
    Company Command Squad - 3x Meltas, Standard, Astropath, Officer of the Fleet, Chimera w/Multi-laser+Hvy Flamer
    Inquisitor Lord - BP+CCW, Emperor's Tarot, Meltabombs, Psychic Hood, 3x Mystics

8x Psyker Battle Squad - Chimera w/Multi-laser+Hvy Flamer
    Callidus assassin
    Stormtroopers - 2x Meltas

Platoon Command Squad - 4x Flamers, Chimera w/Multi-laser+Hvy Bolter
    2x Infantry Squads - Autocannon + Meltagun
    Veteran Squad - 3x Flamers, Demolitions, Shotguns
    4x Veteran Squads - 3x Meltas, Chimera w/Multi-laser+Hvy Flamer

2x Vendettas - Heavy Bolters (Not a squad)

2x Manticores w/Hvy Flamers
    3x Griffons w/Hvy Flamers

My deployment.

David's deployment.

I went first and he fails to steal. He moved his vendettas flat-out for the cover with his scout move (I know some may debate whether you could do this, but I just let him). I drop both my 3x combi-melta wolf guards and 10-man grey hunter squad on his lines. His mystics spot both but he did minimal damage to them with his shooting. I blew up 1 chimera, wrecked a vendetta and shook the other vendetta.

This is actually his turn 1. His shooting and psyker battle squad breaks my 10-man grey hunter unit, making them fall back (they would eventually run off the board with a little help from his chimera).

He also shoots off 1 of my LR's lascannons, immobilises the vindicator, immobilises and stuns 1 rhino and shakes the other rhino.

On turn 2, I wreck his other vendetta. Ragnar's unit is able to make it into multi-assault and takes out an infantry squad and a chimera. On his turn, with shooting and the psyker battle squad (my Rune Priests weren't in range to cancel his power), he breaks yet another squad - Ragnar's unit. They would fall back the rest of the game, unable to recover due to him always having a unit within 6" of them.

From then it was a game of attrition. Turn 3, I make a very risky drop right on his table edge with my 6 grey hunters. Unfortunately, his mystics see me and I just happened to land with my guys clumped up right next to his 4 flamer PCS squad in chimera. I don't know how I survived that 24 wounds but I did and manage to blow up his psyker battle squad's chimera with my melta.

I destroyed a lot of his chimeras and he a lot of my grey hunters. We actually went about 20min past when time was called and that was only by speed playing turn 4 (thank goodness it was lunch right afterwards). In the end, I was just fractions of an inch shy of an objective and my drop pod was just fractions of an inch from contesting his only objective (it was so close that we got a neutral third party to check for us).

So what could've been a minor victory for me turned out to be a minor loss by 1 objective. I did get 2 bonus battle points.

Result: Minor Loss, 9pts

Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

SCENARIO 2

Victory Points
    Spearhead

I was pitted against another player with a minor loss also - Andy's Blood Angels. His list is actually quite scary with Mephiston and 1 big deathstar assault terminator unit.

BLOOD ANGELS
    Mephiston
    Reclusiarch - Terminator Armor (w/Assault termies)

3x Sanguninary Priests - 2 w/Jump Pack + Power Fists, 1 w/Infernus Pistol + Power Sword (w/Assault marines)
    Inquisitor - Null Rod, Terminator Armor (w/Assault termies)
    10x TH/SS Assault Teminators

10x Assault Squad - 2x Plasma Pistols, Power Fist (no Jump Packs)
    Land Raider Crusader - Extra Armor, Multi-melta
    10x Assault Squad - 3x Infernus Pistols, Power Fist
    10x Assault Squad - 2x Plasma Pistols, Infernus Pistol, Power Fist

Predator - All Lascannons, Extra Armor
    Predator - Heavy Bolter sponsoons, Extra Armor

His big deathstar unit is very scary. They're immune to all psychic powers thanks to the Inquisitor's Null Rod, re-rolls all hits on the charge thanks to the Reclusiarch and has Feel No Pain and Furious Charge thanks to Sanguinary Priest in the assault squad nearby. On top of all that, Mephiston is hiding in that squad.

Blood Angel's deployment.

My deployment.

Blood Angels go first and they all advance. On my first turn, my wolf guards and 6-man grey hunters drop in and immobilise his LRC and shake his trip-las predator. My long fangs shoot at his closest assault squad w/Sang. Priest. They fail morale and jump off the table.

On turn 2, he moves his assault squad back to deal with my drop pod units. That means his deathstar unit will be without the benefit of his sanguinary priest's FNP + furious charge. He wrecks Goldmoon's rhino and Goldmoon's unit gets pinned! That saved him there as I was getting ready to furiously assault his terminators with Ragnar and 3 units. He wipes out the 6-man GH unit and wolf guards that dropped in his deployment zone.

On my turn I drop the 10-man GH squad in my deployment zone to rapid fire his terminators. I also combine fire to on Ragnar and Blackheart's unit on his terminators while Loki's unit fires at Mephiston (they didn't have a good firing angle to his terminators). I then furiously charge his terminators with Ragnar and Blackheart's units (it would've been Goldmoon's squad also if they hadn't got pinned).

Aftermath of Ragnar's assault - only the Inquisitor, Reclusiarch and 1 terminator is standing.

He then assaults Mephiston into the big battle, killing Ragnar and some grey hunters. I lose combat and 1 unit breaks while Blackheart's unit stays (they would regroup not next turn, but the following turn). Then I would assault with 2 squads. Then he would furiously assault with his squad of assault marines with sanguinary priest. And finally I would assault with my last squad of grey hunters. Throughout the time, Mephiston kills both my Rune Priests, his assault marines wipe out one of my grey hunter squads and another squad of grey hunters broke and died while falling back due to being trapped. I, in turn, wipe out his terminators, Reclusiarch, Inquisitor and assault squad. I also broke Mephiston and send him running for his mommy when the game ended on turn 4.

So we tally up the victory points, he got points for full points for killing Ragnar, 2 RP's, wolf guards, 2-3 grey hunters, 1 rhino and 1 drop pod. He also got half points for a couple of my other grey hunter squads. I got full points for Mephiston, Reclusiarch, Inquisitor, his assault terminators, both assault squads and 2 sanguinary priests. I also got half points for his LRC. I ended up with about 660+ victory points more than him for the minor victory, +1 battle point for controlling 1 table quarter.

Result: Minor Victory, 14pts
    Last edited by jy2; May 16th, 2010 at 21:10.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

SCENARIO 3

Modified Kill Points - Any unit that can move over 6" in any 1 phase = 3KP's (with a couple of exceptions)
    HQ's = 2KP's
    Everything else = 1KP
    Exceptions - Drop Pods and Crisis Suits = 1KP, Monoliths = 3KP

Pitched Battle

For the finale, I went up against Kyle's Tau. For the 1st game, I believe he got massacred or a major loss. Then for game 2, he went up against a Blood Angel army with 5 land raiders and 2 furiosos. He then proceeded to destroy 3 LR's on turn 1 and went on to massacre his opponent. It's a good thing I got some drop pods here. Anyways, with 37KP's for my army and only 25KP's for his, it's going to be an uphill battle....for him. Heh, heh....

TAU
    Shas'o - CIB, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, HW Multi-tracker, Iridium Armor, Stim Injector
    2x Crisis Bodyguards - Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi-tracker

3x Crisis Suits - Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi-tracker, Leader w/Bonding Knife + HW Drone Controller, 2x Gun Drones
    3x Crisis Suits - Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Multi-tracker, Leader w/Bonding Knife + HW Drone Controller, 2x Gun Drones
    3x Crisis Suits - Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multi-tracker, Leader w/Airburst Fragmentation Projector, Missile Pod Bonding Knife, HW Drone Controller, HW Multi-tracker, Targeting Array + 2x Gun Drones

4x7 Fire Warriors - Leader w/Bonding Knife
    2x10 Kroots - 1x Kroot Hound in 1 squad, 2x Kroot Hounds in 2nd squad

2x5 Pathfinders
    2x Devilfish - Disruption Pod, Flechette Discharger, Multi-tracker, Smart Missile System

2x3 Broadsides - TL-plasmas, Multi-tracker, Leader w/Bonding Knife + HW Drone Controller, 2x Shield Drones
    Hammerhead - Railgun, 2x Burst Cannons, Disruption Pod, Flechette Discharger, Multi-tracker

Tau deployment.

My deployment.

Despite my Emperor's Tarot, he wins the roll for 1st turn. However, I come right back and steal the Initiative!

I drop 2 rune priest squads (both with Jaws) right next to his 2 broadside units. They scatter a little but are still within range. The rest of my army advance 12" popping smoke. I then Jaws both squads. 2 broadsides from 1 squad and 2 broadsides + 1 shield drone from the other squad all fall through the chasm to the deaths. Then both squads fail their morale and run right off the board. I also shake and shoot off the SMS on one of the Devilfish. He moves his devilfish and drops off his pathfinders. He fails to do any major damage to me with his shooting.

On turn 2, my squad of wolf guards come in but fail to harm his railhead even with 3 combi-meltas and point blank double-melta range. However, I do blow it up with my LR's multi-melta within double-melta range (and thus, no disruption pod). Ragnar & co. disembarked and eats up his pathfinders. One squad of flamer GH's disembarks from their rhino and wipes out his other squad of pathfinders with their shooting. Goldmoon's unit also eats up one of his firewarrior squads.

It was a very brutal 1st 2 rounds for him and he almost conceded the game. But he hung on and decided to play to the end. Way to hang in there Kyle. As most of my units were in or near his deployment zone, he decided to give that up and dropped his 3 crisis suits as well as outflank 1 squad of kroots into my deployment zone (1 unit of crisis and kroots were still in reserves). He then blows up my vindicator from behind, wipe out 1 squad of long fangs and dwindle the other long fangs down to a single missile launcher (who actually lived until the end of the game and wrecked one of his devilfish).

So it became a game of me chasing his units and him shooting at me while doing so. The only thing that kept me from tabling him was the fact that 3 of my transports - 2 rhinos and my LR - got immobilised due to difficult terrain.

In the end, he managed to come back a little. He killed my vindicator, 1 rhino, 1 long fangs, 2 squads of grey hunters and 1 rune priest for 11KP's. The only thing he had left was 2 crisis squads, 3 squads of firewarriors and both squads of kroots, giving me 18KP's. However, he counted wrong and shorted me by 1KP. Thus, instead of getting 7KP's for the massacre, I only got 6KP's for the major victory. I did, however, get +3 Battle points.

Result: Major Victory, 20pts

I was a little disappointed in my performance, but overall, it was my very first 'Ard Boyz and I had a blast. I finished above average but definitely could've and should've done better. I was aiming for a top 3 placement. Maybe I should've brought my nids as they seemed to dominate. 1st place went to nids and 4th was a tie between nids and another army. Ironically, both nid lists used a unit which I consider "sub-optimal" - the tyrannofexes (1st place had 2 and 4th place had 3 t-fexes).

Anyways, the top 3 were:

1st - Tyranids - Swarmlord, 3x hive guards, 3x zoans, 2x tervigons, 2x tyrannofexes and lots of genestealers.
    2nd - Orks - not sure what was in his army but he had about 150 orks.
    3rd - Duel-lash Chaos Marines w/9 Oblits.

Oh well, looking forward to next year's events.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Well written and nice pics, I feel blessed to play on the tables I have here now though. ><

I'm not an 'Ard Boyz fan but at least it was a fun read.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the write up, it was a good read

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

You said about your BA opponent that Mephy was "hiding with the terminators". Mephiston is NOT an Independent Character and cannot join any unit.

Man, that Tau army list and gameplay makes Shas'o 6 a very, very sad Panda. No wonder people think Tau suck.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Mephiston wasn't attached to the squad. He was just hiding there, getting cover and providing a double-whammy threat.

I agree that Tau didn't have the best list (compared to number6 and riki's lists), but to his credit, he did massacre the Blood Angels opponent in round 2 w/5 LR's and 2 furiosos. If I hadn't seized initiative, he would've probably destroyed my LR and 2 other vehicles and made it a very competitive game. Besides the 1st turn deployment of his broadsides, he pretty much played a smart, mistake-free game and came back somewhat.
    Last edited by jy2; May 18th, 2010 at 00:10.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

What!? No Dark Eldar? Besides me I at least thought that the other DE player who sometimes shows up would be there. I am kinda torn about not showing up as I do like the challenge the DE give me but I too not much of an 'Ard Boyz fan (thinking about my list in scenario 3 really cemented my decision but there are some DE success stories out there). Maybe next year.

What units perfomed better, as expected or worse?

How would you change the list?
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Ouch, that's rough luck getting paired up against such a tough list in round 1, and straight after that getting paired up against another strong force. Normally you'd get at least one easy pairing in the first two games. It was a good job hanging in there against the IG.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Ok, here's the analysis of my units:

Ragnar - B+. Needed as deterrant against some of the enemy deathstar units. Was good against the Blood Angels but otherwise, overkill against IG and Tau.

Rune Priests - A. Took down a vendetta and damaged some chimeras against IG. Blocked a lot of Mephiston's powers and provided extra cc support against BA. Devastated Tau shooting in game 3.

Wolf Guards - B. Powerfists whiffed a lot against Mephiston (should've killed him much sooner with all the Pfists I allocated on him). Drop suicide-WG's immobilised a LR against BA, popped a chimera and whiffed against the railhead.

Inquisitor - C. A little anti-deepstrike insurance. Not really needed, though I could've used in in the game vs Tau against all the deepstriking crisis suits. Guess I didn't want to give out 2 easy KP's so just reserved them and hid them when they came in on game #3. Emperor's Tarot only won me the initiative once.

Grey Hunters - B+. Solid. The bread and butter of my army. Did as expected.

Drop Pods - A. I love them. They give me the mobility that my army lacks - the ability to get to places that I normally would have a very hard time doing. Also forces the enemy to concentrate on them, thus allowing my main army time to close. In the case of BA, they forced some of his units to go backwards to deal with them instead of advancing, thus letting me concentrate my main army on his deathstar unit.

Rhinos - B. Solid.

Long Fangs - B. Performed as expected, being a nuisance to enemy armor. Not great performance, but not bad.

Land Raider - B. Delivered Ragnar as needed, except on game 3 where it immobilised itself on terrain (it did, however, pop the railhead with its multi-melta).

Vindicator - C. Normally it does alright, but in this tourney, it underperformed. I took it as an insurance against terminators and land raiders and as a gun platform for my Inquisitor's mystics. None of that came up (except the LRC in the BA army, but that got immobilised far away). It did, however, draw a lot of "attention" which was what I wanted - to take some of the heat off my LR and rhinos.
    Last edited by jy2; May 19th, 2010 at 00:57.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast