Librarium Online Forums banner

Blood Angels vs Chaos (start of escalation campaign)

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Chosen of Sanguinius 
#1 ·
Last week I went to my local gaming store and played my first game in a campaign that’s going to lead into a conflict tournament later in the year. The current restrictions are 600pts a side with no HQ over 140 points and no LandRaiders. I also saw orks, daemons and another BA player.

His List: (not sure of the numbers in the squads)

Chaos Lord - mark of khorne, powerfist

10x Khorne Bezerkers - powerfist, plasma gun
10x Plague Marines - powersword

My List:

Librarian - sword of sanguinius, smite

Sanguinary Priest - jumpack

10x Tactical squad - flamer, plasma cannon, Razorback (- twinlinked heavy flamer)
8x Assault squad - powerfist

I let my opponent roll for mission and deployment he got take and hold, in a spearhead set up. I elect not to try and steal the initiative. The board has a swampy terrain piece with trees middle right and a hilly terrain piece with some more trees middle left. There’s about 8'' of clear ground between the two pieces of terrain. His objective is a lone chaos marine on the back edge of the table. Mine is an imperial pilot set up in a similar fashion.

Librarian Matthias closed his eyes, trying hard to drown out the noise of his razorback racing along the planet surface. He was close now he could feel it. In his minds eye flashed the image of a man he'd seen a hundred times but never met. In the coming purging of the Arcticus X system flight lieutenant Theodore Wash would be crucial, but only if Matthias managed to save him here today...
A slight click came from the commlink inside his helmet
"Sir we've found him, right where predicted"
"Good work brother, tend to his wounds, we will arrive shortly"
"There’s something else sir...traitors closing in"
“Then set up a firing position and switch to com channel 5, tell Assault Squad Valaris to drop in as support. Lets us purge these traitors from the field"

His deployment: My opponent deploys his two squads forward about the minimal distance required from the centre of the board. Lord is with the Berserkers.

My deployment: The Tactical squad is split up into combat squads flamer and sergeant ride in Razorback with libby. The combat squad with the plasma cannon set up in front of my objective but with a good view of the path the enemy are going to have to take to contest my objective. Sanguinary Priest joins assault squad who take up a wide position behind the hill ready to counter-charge.

Turn 1:

The Chaos player runs everything he has forwards. The hill gives his plague marines a possible cover save, tries the same tactic with his berserkers moving close to the swamp. They don't reach it.

My turn, assault squad Valaris holds it ground preparing to assault the plague marines as they move out of terrain next turn. The Razorback guns it up the middle and drops of The Libby and his combat squad who will also be in position to charge next turn providing my opponents runs straight at me again. In shooting the combat squad guarding my objective fires its plasma cannon obliterating 3 berserkers.

Turn 2

In his turn the chaos player runs his Plague marines forward as predicted, but then instead of running his berserkers forward, they go sideways and take up position behind the plague marines. Again he runs everything instead of shooting.

I’m a little concerned now I don't want squad Valaris charged by his whole army. I move the assault squad forward to charge the plague marines in the assault phase. I move my razorback forward, seeing an opening; if it survives next turn it'll be clear to contest his objective. I move up my Librarian 's squad behind the razorback. My shooting is ineffectual; as his berserkers are saved from the wrath of my plasma cannon by cover. Assault squad Valaris charge the foul plague marines. The loyalist and the traitors trade vicious blows but each it seems are blessed, the angels by noble sanguinius and the traitors by grandfather nurgle. They trade a casualty each and combat is drawn.

Turn 3

My opponent sees the danger in letting my razorback run unmolested towards his objective, moves his Berserkers towards it and promptly destroys it with a plasma pistol. In the assault in the middle his champion kills a marine with his powersword. Srg Valaris slays two with his powerfist winning the combat very much single handedly ;) The plague marines make all their fearless saves, and combat continues.

In my turn I move the Librarian's combat squad forward preparing to charge the berserkers who have been lured into range by the Razorback. The plasma cannon wielding combat squad kills another 2 berserkers who are no longer in cover. My Librarian and his combat squad charge the lord and berserkers. I mess up and forget to have the Librarian go straight for his lord. My Librarian only kills a single berserker while his lord kills 3, then just to really rub it in my Librarian copes a powerfist to the chin from the berserker champion and goes down.
In the other assault due to some incredibly poor rolls by my opponent my assault marines kill 3 plague marines, while his champion kills strikes back killing a normal assault marine. Srg Valaris fails to hit anything.

Turn 4/U]

In his turn combat continues with srg Valaris causing the only causalty in the fight between the plague marines and the assault squad near the hill. His Berserkers finish off the last member of my Librarian’s combat squad then consolidate 4” towards my objective.
In my turn the plague marine champion is able to strike down another assault marine before the traitors are finally wiped out. I consolidate 6” towards his lord.

Turn 5U]

With only 3 berserkers and his lord left the chaos play needs to get into combat in his turn to try and force the draw. He moves and runs forward but falls short of assaulting the combat squad on my objective. He spreads his unit out while keeping cohesion so my plasma cannon can only reach one…

But in my turn I really get blessed by the emperor as it scatters forward 1” and takes out the last 3 marines. Rapid fire from the rest of my squad puts a wound on the lord who is finished off by pistol fire from my assault squad Valaris.

Blood Angel Victory via wipeout

As Sergeant Valaris pursued the traitors eager to avenge his fallen commander he could feel the adrenaline rushing through his veins, and could heard the pounding noise in the back of his head. A tell tale sign the thirst would soon claim him. Not today, thought Valaris as he signalled for his squad to slow. He knew his battle brothers tasked with guarding the flight lieutenant where waiting for a clear shoot. Almost as soon as their pace slackened the berserkers in front of them exploded in a flaming ball of plasma. Leaving a outraged Lord snarling at the Blood angels on either side of him.
“Do not do this traitor the honour of close combat men. Catch him in the crossfire. Pistols up”
Valaris watched with grim satisfaction as the lord was torn apart by the concentrated fire of bolter and bolt pistol.
Valaris was about to give the order to pull out when he hear the click of his commlink followed by a low grown. Librarian Matthias was alive if only just…

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.