Tau V. Ultramarines, 1000point - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau V. Ultramarines, 1000point

This was my first tabletop game. My opponent help me set up our armies to stack to 1000-points and helped a lot with the rules. About midway through a third person helped referee which was awesome.

I borrowed the club's space marine half of an Assault on Black Reach set. My opponent had a Tau army. The setups are below:

Ultramarine

1 Dreadnaught
    • Searchlight,
    • Smoke Launchers,
    • Extra Armor,
    • Dreadnought CCW,
    • Multi-Melta,
    • Heavy Flamer
    10-man Tac Squad with Sergeant
    • And They Shall Know No Fear,
    • Combat Squads
    • Combat Tactics
    • Frag Grenades
    • Krak Grenades
    • Power Armour
    • Bolt Pistol
    • Bolters
    • Flamer
    • Missile Launcher
    5-man Terminator Squad with Sergeant
    • And They Shall Know No Fear,
    • Combat Squads,
    • Combat Tactics,
    • Power Fist,
    • Storm Bolters
    Space Marine Captain
    • And They Shall Know No Fear
    • Combat Tactics
    • Independent Character
    • ...in Terminator Armour
    • Iron Halo
    • Power Sword
    • Storm Bolter
    Tau

12-man Fire Warrior Squad
    • Pulse Rifles
    8-man Fire Warrior Squad
    • Pulse Rifles
    1 XV88 Broadside Battlesuit

3-man XV25 Stealth Suit squad
    • 3 drones
    2-man XV15 Stealth Suit squad

1 XV8 Crisis Suit

The battlefield (first turn).
    start.jpg

I've decided to write the battle report in a short-story formatting, to have it flow better. Let me know if this is more or less helpful than the standard way.

Preparation

Captain Captain Ixion of the 10th Chapter, Ultramarines ground his teeth in the preparatory bay the Strike Cruiser Macragge's Claw orbiting plant Verdis in the Ultima Segmentum. The Tau had eliminated a Terran colony sent to gain a foothold for the Imperium. Several hundred Imperial subjects were killed by the blue-blooded cow-hoofed Xenos. The Emperor would have his revenge.

Captain Ixion climbed into the Thunderhawk. He walked in the interior, gruffly inspecting the members of his Tac squad. Sergeant Oceanius jut his chin upwards in a greeting. The Terminators, led by Sergeant Erasmos, stood chanting victory meditations. A Dreadnought walked on, filling up the remaining space. The Thunderhawk's plating groaned under the weight of the heavy vehicle.

Captian Ixion waited until the Dreadnought was settled. The Sergeants of both squads nodded their readiness. Captain Ixion keyed the mic to the cockpit: "We are ready for battle."

Pilot Sonia's voice echoed out over the bay's intercom. "Affirmative. We got all green. Standby for liftoff in 3, 2, 1..."

Captain Ixion grabbed a leather strap. He felt his power armor's gyros power up to stabilize as the floor tilted at an awkward angle. The roar of the Thunderhawk's engines dissipated as the predatory bird flew out into the silent maw of space.

The Thunderhawk descended through Verdi' atmosphere. The soldiers, temporarily reduced to cargo, felt the sway of entry. This was the moment they all hated: their lives were in the pilot's hands.

Pilot Sonia's plas-steelwind shield auto-darkened as purple-pink plasma danced across. She looked at guidance plot display. A series of boxes lit the flightpath. She was in the descent pipe, on target to the landing zone.

"30 seconds to LZ," Sonia keyed.

Captian Ixion recalled the imagry from Strike Cruiser Macragge's Claw's briefing room. A small Tau camp was spotted in the vicinity of the ruined colony. To the south lay a forested hill. To the southeast a house and to the northeast ruins. Directly east crested a tired hill, terraformed for agriculture. They would put down to the east to the crossroads and advance forward in a sweeping motion.

The rear ramp ground into motion and opened downwards. The rushing landscape below looked raw: forests, hills, plains. A few wispy clouds floated peacefully overhead.

"20."

The craft nosed skywards, angling upwards to slow. Speedbrakes popped out of the wings and all four engines whined in protest. Gravity quadrupled for a few seconds. The Thunderhawk's plates groaned and a rivet popped in protest.

"10."

The Thunderhawk landed with a bonejarring thud.

The Dreadnought and Terminators rushed to the left while the Tac squad and Captain Ixio rushed to the right. Watching the vid-feed from the bay, Pilot Sonia waited until the last man was off her ship and then lifted off.

"Broadside!" Her copilot shouted. The Tau suit glittered in the sunlight behind the ridge. She immediately preformed an evasive maneuver, skimming the ground and headed out of range.

"For the Emperor!" bellowed Captian Ixio. They had found their prey.

First Turn

The Tau were moving.

The Broadside climbed the hill, setting itself up for a firing position. There were two squads of Firewarriors, probably around 25 total, taking cover in the high grass. Easy prey as soon as his Terminators and Dreadnought closed range.

Captain Ixio and his Tac squad sprinted for the cover of the farmhouse. His Terminators and Dreadnought lumbered for the cover of the ruins.

The space marine with the missile launcher peered around the corner of the farmhouse. In the front yard of the house lay smoldering remains of civilians, their charred flesh melting into the ground, proof of the Tau's marksmanship. He readied a Krak missile.

bane.jpg

Second Turn
    The Broadside fired at the Dreadnought, penetrating and shaking the brother manning the massive war machine.

Captain Ixio watched Sergeant Erasmos lead his Terminators into the ruins. Their storm bolters' rounds fell short. A few pulse-rifle rounds from the Firewarriors sprinkled the ruin's front, blistering paint and melting metal. None hit near the Terminators.

Third Turn
    Captain Ixio shouted at Sergeant Oceanius to move beyond the cover, forward. He needed to take out the Broadside if he was to win the battle. Its range covered all his squads, even if its attention could only be on one unit at a time. They moved outwards. His squad's bolters were out of range still.

Sergeant Erasmos' Terminators hopped down from the ruins. He watched one crush a sandbagged wall, the pulverized sand jetting in a gout of white against the carbonized steel. The Terminators began their attack, lumbering forward towards the closet group of a dozen Tau. The Tau fired enmasse again. Their pulse-rifles' beams were deflected. One managed to penetrate but the Emperor's grace prevented it from harming the Elite soldier encased inside.

The Broadside fired at the Dreadnought again and landed another hit. The Dreadnought was shaken again.

Through the trees, Captain Ixios saw the air wavered in a mirage to the left side of the Broadside's hill. Three squads appeared: three XV25 stealth battle suits supported by drones, two XV15 stealth battle suits and a Tau commander in Crisis battle suit. Life was about to be come difficult.

full field.jpg

Fourth Turn
    "Fire, brothers!" Shouted Sergeant Oceanius. The Krak missile fired and widely flew off target to explode against the rim of the ridge. The Tac squad fired a salvo from their bolters but all rounds fell pathetically short.

The Broadside appeared through the explosion. They watched helplessly as he focused his fire on the Dreadnought, still stuck in place. The blast blew off the Dreadnought's leg, immobilizing him. The melted steel flowed down, starting a small grass fire. The heat waves shimmered and shone, dancing merrily, and made the Dreadnought appear to be underwater - drowning.

"Emperor protect us," muttered Captain Ixios at this horrific turn of events.

The terminators advanced restlessly as their armor was peppered by ineffective pulse-rifle fire. The crushed grass in their wake marked the pathway of their advance. Soon they would be in charging range.

Ixios glanced through the tree. The droids and XV2s were advancing through the forest while the XV15 and commander hooked around the hill, advancing down the eastern road. Soon he would be surrounded.

His mind raced. With the Broadside's attention freed, his Tacs and he would be a plinking target for its powerful guns. If he moved to cover, the heavy weapon would need time to set up again... time he didn't have. The XV2s' arcing jumps within decided it for him.

"Sergeant Oceanius, cover! There is no glory in pointless death."

Fifth Turn
    Sergeant Oceanius sprinted and slammed into the rock wall, his power armor's exhaust ports grinding into the rock. His Tacs followed him, as did Captain Ixios.

The XV2s' drone peppered the squad, as did the XV2's twin-linked lasers. One space marine shouted over the intercom, as a twin-linked laser drilled through his armor. His intestines bubbled and boiled in a froth through the hole in his armor. He fell heavily.

"Return fire!" Bellowed Oceanius.

The bolters' fire tore bushes' branches and brought down tree limbs. Two XV2's fell, acrid blue smoke and sparks pouring from their shattered battlesuits.

Captain Ixios glanced across the battlefield. The Broadside had turned its attention to the Terminators. It fired, missing the advancing men.

The Terminators raised their storm bolters and sent a hail of death into the Firewarriors. Four fell instantly, their blue blood and gore smearing the tall grass. One tried to rise but sunk back. The Firewarriors shot back, but their shots were scattered by the ancient armor. The smaller group of eight began running south, away from the Terminators.

cover.jpg

Sixth Turn
    Captian Ixios turned his attention back at hand. The Tau commander and the two XV15 jumped, fired and then jumped away. The spacemarines' bolters kept them at bay but their rounds went wild.

The XV2s and their drones retreated east, away from the range of the bolters.

Captian Ixios was frustrated beyond belief. The Tac's flamer-thrower was too short. Sergeant Oceanius' men were dying. Another three fell, their heavy armor becoming makeshift barriers for the survivors to kneel behind.

Captain Ixios fired at the Tau commander, bellowing with rage. He noticed the Broadside readying another shot at the Terminators. The heavy beam shot outwards. Five terminators became four as one had his upper body absorb energy and disappear.

The remaining four fired their storm bolters and charged into the middle of the Tau Firewarriors. Powerfists flew and smashed foes. Sergeant Erasmos' power sword sung as it clove one, two, three Firewarriors in half. He looked around for more prey but saw that the survivors had fled in fear from the slaughter field.

Now for the second group.

Seventh Turn
    Sergeant Oceanius grinned out of reflex as three drones exploded in midair from the Tac squad's latest salvo. His grin turned into rage as he watched the Broadside vaporize another Terminator.

Captain Ixios made up his mind. "Space marines, to victory or death!" He charged towards the Tau commander, firing his bolt pistol.

The Tau cowardly danced out of range.

"Rockets, target that Broadside!" bellowed Oceanius. They moved out under the hail of laser fire and readied their weapons.

Eighth Turn

Captian Ixios felt four, five, six shots penetrate his armor but by divine intervention, none wounded. The Emperor, it seemed, was protecting the brave. He fired another salvo from his pistol, hitting the Tau Commander. The Crisis suit was knocked back but recovered with no apparent damage.

Sergeant Oceanius' squad set up a Krak rocket behind him while they fired at the XV15s. Their rounds went off-target.

The Broadside vaporized another Terminator. The two survivors doggedly advanced after the Firewarriors who sprinted around the hill, out of their lien of fire.

Ninth Turn
    Another Terminator disappeared in a haze of blood.

Sergeant Oceanius' squad fired at the Broadside, with bolters and Krak rocket.The Krak found its mark, wounding it. The bolters' rounds went wild, shattering stone and pulverizing dust on the hillside.

Captain Ixios continued his sprint. Another six rounds went into him, two finding their mark. His vision grew red and he knew another one would finish him off.

The retreating Tau XV15s forgot about the Dreadnought and blindly wandered within range. Ixios felt satisfaction as one turned into a pile of twisted goo.

Tenth Turn

The last Terminator disappeared in mid-step.

Captain Ixios felt another five rounds enter his armour and one found its mark. He crashed heavily, face-down on the ground and spiraled into darkness.

Sergeant Oceanius howled as his squad fired on the Broadside again... but nothing landed.

Eleventh Turn

The Broadside turn its guns one final time on the Dreadnought. The machine-melded-with-man became a charred, twisted hulk of metal.

Sergeant Oceanius' men fired with an accuracy born of desperation and their shots and Krak found a mark. The Broadside exploded in a rain of fire.

"We need an evac, now!" Shouted Oceanius into his comlink. "Broadside down."

"Ahhhfirmative," Pilot Sonia came back, "ETA 2 minutes. Hold on."

Sergeant Oceanius felt relieved. Maybe the Captain could be saved. His relief dissipated as another round of fire from surviving Tau fell another two men.

::game ended::

So, final score:

Tau, 470 points won
    SM, 343 points won

Assessment:

I need to know the rules.

I never used my flamers, I forgot about my commander's pistol several times, I forgot about the Extra Armor rule for the Dreadnaught, I didn't realize Terminators had invulnerability saves until the third player came along, I didn't know until 2 turns in that space marines' bolters could fire along with their heavy weapons, didn't know Terminators could Deep Strike, and generally didn't know anything.

I did, however, have to voice several times that "4+" meant a "4" counted as a save and remind my opponent three rolls in a row that my terminators had an invulnerability save. He seemed very forgetful on key components of the game when it came to my turn.

That being said, I'm looking forward to my next game! Hopefully, this time with my own army.

We are coming. Look to the skies for your salvation.
    Captain Shrike to Commissar Lent, prior to Blindhope Planetstrike

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

WHAT!!!!
    11 turns??

they game goes to 5, 6 or 7 turns not 11 turns
    after the 5th you role and on a 1 or 2 the game ends, if not it continues
    after the 6th you role and on a 1 - 3 the game ends, if not it continues

game always finished at the end of the 7th turn if there is one.

OK now the other things - nice try with the write up, i liked the idea but it was so wrong. Who had first turn etc as your write up does not make it clear as the two armies turn had been mixed together.

Now for Tau - XV2's what are they as they don't exsit.
    what you call XV15's are attually XV8's (its the two man squad in your picture - thats how i worked it out.)
    Xv15's are the older version of the Xv25's and the XV15/XV25's must be fielded in 3+ units.
    Also what did you have on the XV8's (all 3 of them) - the commander and the 2 man squad???

Now for SM - you dont need to write up all that info about the squads and tbh i dont think your allowed to as its giving a list of what a basic one of that squad has. you should just write what add-ons you have done.

Also 1000 points ??? by my count neither list is anywhere near 1K points - more around the 600 - 700 mark (i haven't done a full count)

Finally - i would recommend you getting someone who knows the rules to join your game next time to help you. And if you or the person you played want help with list im happy to help. P.s. i know you just fielded whats in AoBR but the SM army is not allowed as it doesn't have 2 troops choices.
    Last edited by Rafici; July 4th, 2010 at 21:08.
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for letting me know about the game limit. Apparantly, he really wanted to recoop his losses by killing off my terminators. If we'd stopped at 5/6th turn, I'd have more points.

I didn't write down his units, it was matching online images of Tau models against my memory.

As for the building of the armies, I let him fill me out to get to 1,000 points. I have no idea how under or over that was.

He had the intiative.

I will certainly ask for help next weekend for building armies. This game was apparantly a royal steaming pile of dung.
    We are coming. Look to the skies for your salvation.
    Captain Shrike to Commissar Lent, prior to Blindhope Planetstrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

Cool well post the units you do have but there is no way he could have made your 10 man tac squad, termis, dread and captian up to 1K points but saying that His army was no where near 1K i would say you both had about the same amount of points (with you both being between 600 and 700 points.
    Im happy to help both of you as i play both armies - send a private message with that you are playing points and all the units you have.

P.s. Your write up is very nice to read now i know who went first.
    Well worth doing again just put clearly at the top the basics (who went first, what mission it is i.e. night fighting, objectives, annilation
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great story telling, good battle report for your first game. Keep it up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good match

Good writeup, I like the narrative. Very detailed and it looks like you have a passion for the 40k universe. It could be a little more detailed like what type of mission it was, who went first, etc just to give your readers a basic setup.

Did you split your tac squad into 2 5-man squads? I don't think your list was legal as teh before comment said, but if you're points were near enough, I don't think it would have mattered.

Learning the rules comes with time, just read the basic rules and the special rules for your own specific units. Make sure you know how your units operate so you can let your opponent know. Likewise, he should let you know his stats, special rules, unit special attacks, etc before the game even begins so you have a good idea what you're going up against since you're just starting out. It'd be a good idea to have someone who's knowledgeable with the game kinda act as a ref, but not entirely necessary.

Great writeup, though. Hopefully I hear more from you in the future!
    There is only the Emperor...

+ Reply to Thread