2000pt space wolves vs space marines semi-casual - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x2)

2000pt space wolves vs space marines semi-casual

I've not yet played against space marines ever since the new space wolves codex came out last fall, and today I finally got the chance (I've played against SM dozens of times with the 3rd edition SW codex). I now truly see how ridiculously good the space wolves have gotten in this new codex.

It was a very fun game, semi-casual, we both enjoyed it, no disagreements, no issues anywhere.

Opponent's list (I'm writing this from memory):

Sicarius

Terminator Chaplain

Terminators x5

Ironclad Dreadnought - hurricane bolter, seimic hammer with meltagun, 2 hunter killer missiles
    Drop Pod - deathwind launcher

Dreadnought - multi melta, ccw with storm bolter

Tactical Squad x10 - Missile, Flamer, Powerfist, Counter-attack (from Sicarius)

Tactical Squad x10 - Missile, Flamer, Powerfist
    Rhino - storm bolter, smoke launcher, hunter killer missile

Assault Squad x5 - powerfist, plasma pistol

Predator - tl-lascannon, heavy bolter sponsons

Land raider redeemer - hunter killer missile
    (deployed with terminator squad and terminator chaplain)

Devastators x5 - lascannon, missile launcher, multi-melta, heavy bolter

My List:

Rune Priest - Jump pack, JoWW, Storm Caller

Wolf Guard x9 - wulfen, combi-melta, 2 wolf claws (on one model), terminator armour with chainfist and cyclone launcher (on one model)

Wolf Scouts x10 - meltagun, wulfen
    Wolf Guard - wolf claw, combi-melta

Grey Hunters x10 - 2 meltaguns, wulfen
    Wolf Guard - terminator armour, chainfist, cyclone launcher

Wolf Guard - terminator armour, chainfist, cyclone launcher

Wolf Guard - terminator armour, chainfist

Wolf Guard - terminator armour, chainfist

Thunderwolf Cavalry x5 - thunderhammer

Long Fangs x6 - 3 missile launcher, 2 plasma cannon
    Wolf Guard

Annihilation
    Pitched Battle
    Space Marines got 1st turn

Space Marines deployed everything
    Space Wolves held TWC and Scouts in reserve, deployed the rest
    Won't go into a detailed turn by turn of the game. Long story short, but I both out-shot and out-combated the space marines.
    I went second. The game ended at the bottom of turn 4 when the space marines got tabled.
    If we were to still count kill points, it would have been 13-1 for Space Wolves.
    (honourable mention: the rune priest did not accomplish a single thing for the entire game except cause perils on himself)

In any case we both enjoyed it. I kind of thought I had a good picture in my head of how well space wolves would do against marines, but this game just blew me away - it was over-kill. Basically, I pictured Space Wolves would do very well against marines, but not that well.

I guess it came down to me having a very good idea of the exact strength and capabilities of his entire army both in shooting and assault, since SM are so familiar to everyone. Whereas, the SM player never played an army like mine before (all footslogging power-armoured army with twice his body count and that is far better than SM at close combat). This means that he basically could not properly gauge the strength and capabilities of my SW army, and any concepts he had of how strong MEQs are, are completely thrown out of whack.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

SW are definitely strong. As a matter of fact, IMO they are the 2nd best codex right now, with IG being the best all-around, tournament army. The scary thing is, your army could be even better when tweaked (i.e. 3 squads of long fangs with 5 missile launchers each, wolf standards, different wargear for TWC for wound shenanigans, etc.).

But I feel sorry for your opponent. Seems like his list was more of a standard marine list rather than an optimized one. I mean, just look at his dev squad - 4 different heavy weapons? He just got it directly from the kit. Good first battle, but the true test will come when you play against a better player with a better list.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x6)

I would grab two rune priests to cover your anti-psyker ground better. IMO however, BA are the best. Nidz are second, wolves are third and guard at 4th. Basically the newest is the best and the one before that is the next and so on - i got this idea through making the strongest lists possible and as balanced as possible while beating the previous strongest list from the last codex.
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

yeh the SM list was not good, a very very bad list. So hopefully he will improve on that to give a fight.
    Saying that your list wasn't great (but no where near as bad as his) As said long fangs (more maxed out with ML would help but you should have transports. Nids and Orks work with footslogger lists - they are about the only ones.

Well done tho for keeping it a fun game
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

120 (x2)

Thanks for the comments guys.

I just came back today from a 1750 tournament. I came in 2nd for best general and 1st overall. The list I fielded was a footslogger, and is largely similar to this 2000 list, though a bit more competitive. Anyways, I just wrote another post commenting on the composition and use of my footslogger army (the 1750 one). Here it is
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ce-wolves.html

ps. rep all around

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Congrats on your finish at the tournament. Sometimes, who you get matched up against in a tourney is just as important as what you bring. I dread facing mechguards with an all-foot army. I also hate going up against mechdar as well....they're just so elusive. Damn hiding cowards. Fight like real men.

But you know what? Bet you could've taken 1st best general as well if you'd taken another squad of long fangs. Your already strong list would be even stronger.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

+ Reply to Thread