Splinter Fleet Cerberus: Broken Alliance - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

Splinter Fleet Cerberus: Broken Alliance

Hi, everyone!

This battle report is on my very first game of Warhammer 40k like, ever; I never even played the in-store tutorial or the Battle for Macragge boxset I once bought to try and learn 4th edition. It's just as well; I think with the advent of 5th edition, it was the perfect time to finally get into the game.

Some of you might have seen my general thread on the Tyranids forum and are already spoiled on the ending of this battle. Still, I thought it would be worth it to go step-by-step just to see exactly what happened and how it ended the way it did. Perhaps I could get some good advice on what to expect next too.

Obviously, since I'm a new player and all, my battle report will be, how shall we say, rudimentary. As I don't have the other players in easy reach, it will mostly be a summarized breakdown of what happened from my own limited perspective. In addition, the people I went up against are fairly new to the game themselves, we didn't have a veteran to arbitrate for us (unless you count Google), and they did certain things with a mind to introducing me to the rules of the game.

The pictures I took are not exhaustive in coverage and are fairly large, so I will simply be linking to the most appropriate ones as I describe the situations.

And now, without further ado...

Splinter Fleet Cerberus: Broken Alliance

The game was originally going to be between me and my buddy from work, but his friend wanted to join in too, so it became a game of Broken Alliance. From what I understood, everything except reserves deploys within a certain area of the table as divided between the three armies.

Probably obvious by now, but I am the Tyranid player. My buddy from work is fielding his Necrons, and his buddy is playing Space Marines.

Tyranids: Splinter Fleet Cerberus

Essentially my 1000-point army with some elements from the odds and ends I had lying around; pretty much my entire collection to date, divvied up to make a bit more sense, and with some upgrades slapped on just to round out the agreed point level: 1500 each.

Tyranid Prime, Bonesword, Lash Whip, Deathspitter, Regeneration
    2 x 13x Termagants
    2 x 12x Hormagaunts with Toxin Sacs
    4 Warriors, one Venom Cannon, Deathspitters, Rending Claws
    2 x 2x Hive Guard
    Tyrannofex, Regenerate
    6x Genestealers in reserve
    Trygon Prime, Regenerate in reserve

Total points: 1498

Necrons: C'tan and Friends

Three units of Warriors, one in reserve. His heavy hitters are a bunch of Destroyers, one Monolith in reserve, and, in the very center, the C'tan Nightbringer. Yeah, I'll get to that in a second.

Space Marines: Calgar and Friends

I know the least about this list; the player describes it as a mostly ranged build, and when he rattled off all his plasma guns and lascannons and tanks, my eyes kind of glazed over. Most notable in this list was his Sniper team, Thunderfire Cannon and, of course, Calgar himself. There was some kind of Standard Bearer team, but they didn't do anything the whole game, so we can forget all about them for now.

Broken Alliance deployment with leaders facing off in the middle objective, respective armies behind them. The orange D&D miniature is the middle objective. Behind the Space Marine player's forearm is an orange Phoenix figurine for his objective. Necron objective is the Bob-omb behind the Warriors in the corner. My objective is the organic patch in front of my T-fex.

Pre-Game Analysis

I was prepared to be royally boned in this game, to be honest. I noted with some chagrin that they both decided to field their unique characters, while my HQ was my poor little Warrior Prime. I let it go without comment though; I figured that the best way to learn was to get a good drumming first, and then see what I could do better. As it turns out, a lot of my fears were pretty unfounded.

My buddy fielded his C'tan Nightbringer mostly to be a jerk to his buddy, who he's played against several times in the past. Even if he went after me, I would have gone for Necron phase out and hoped for the best from there. The Space Marine army was what worried me the most-- there was not much way for me to run over to his objective without getting shot like fish in a barrel. Fortunately, I didn't have to worry a whole lot about this in the end.

I still had my work cut out for me though. One of my armies weaknesses, especially now that it had been bumped up in points, was a distinct lack of synapse coverage. It would be tough holding two fronts with just my Prime and my Warriors, with my Trygon Prime in reserve. I decided to just go for the Necrons with my shooty elements, and maybe use some gaunts to distract the Space Marines.

Turn One

I had the initiative, but had it seized by the Necrons. Space Marines fail to seize it in turn.

Necrons

Of the units the Necrons gained coherency for only C'tan Nightbringer actually does anything. His first act is to rush up and viciously murder Calgar in the first melee. While doing that, he explains to me that he's doing me a favor by removing the Space Marines' ability to do an Orbital Strike on my bunched up 'nids. The Space Marine players curses him roundly.

Tyranids

Splinter Fleet Cerberus proves incoherent this round. Everyone fails their Know What's Going On rolls and derps their way through the round. The irony of course is that in a parley of races it's probably the Tyranids who'll be the first to quit negotiations and just try to eat the other diplomats' faces, but whatever. In fact, trying to reason with either Necrons or Tyranids just seems like a terrible idea altogether, so I suppose Calgar got what was coming to him.

Space Marines

While some of his units seemed completely oblivious to their leader's bloody demise, a few realized that something was up. They shoot at some Necron Warriors, knocking some down, but a unit with plasma rolls a one. Nothing explodes. His tank shoots the Nightbringer, to no visible effect.

Turn Two

Tyranids

None of my reserves come in. Everyone stirs from their torpor and moves. The Warrior Prime scuttles hurriedly away from the Nightbringer. I throw all my Hormagaunts toward the Space Marines and move all my shooters towards the Necrons. I learn a lot about Fleet and Run, but I think I may have messed up the Bounding Leap rule for the gaunts.

In shooting my Tyrannofex knocks down one Necron Destroyer. I would later learn that there were better target priorities around. Everyone else in range of anything misses, except for one unit of Hive Guard that actually manages to wound the Nightbringer. After everything I'd heard about him, this was a pleasant surprise and easily the highlight of the round.

Space Marines

The Thunderfire Cannon reduces my 12-man gaunt squad to a 3-man, not even enough for barbershop singing. His Snipers try to avenge the fallen Calgar and put two wounds on the Nightbringer, and a lascannon manages another.

Necrons

The Destroyers shoot stuff, but nothing happens. The Nightbringer wipes out the Space Marine tank with one lance. Oh, well, one thing less for me to worry about.

Turn Three

Space Marines

The Thunderfire Cannon shoots at my Termagants, and I lose five. This round was the worst for him, I think; he pours fire into the Nightbringer but do absolutely nothing to him.

Necrons

The Monolith comes in and Deep Strikes on my side, probably just to remind me that he's also a threat to me. Fortunately, it scatters toward the Space Marines. In the meantime, he shoots his large blast at my group of Warriors and manages to graze my T-Fex's base too. The Warrior with the Venom Cannon dies from being under the template hole; the rest of the wounds I assign to my T-Fex.

His Destroyers fire at my Prime, wounding it twice. His own Warriors kill five of the gants going for them.

Tyranids

None of my Regenerates resolve.

The Trygon Prime Deep Strikes without scattering right in front of the Necron Warriors holding the objective. Containment Spines knock down four of them right off, and another in assault. I was rather disappointed by the results, having hoped to knock them all down. In retrospect, I didn't realize that my Prime has two sets of Scything Talons, so that was a missed opportunity right there.

Having remembered an old battle report I once saw where a bunch of Hormagaunts manage to kill a Monolith, I turn my units around and assault it. The three join up with the larger group. My Genestealers come in off reserves from my side and join the gaunts in surrounding the Monolith. They manage to cover the door too, so his Warriors won't be teleporting in anytime soon. My Warrior Prime debates assaulting the Monolith but decides to just hang around to provide synapse instead.

It was explained to me that the armor value on all sides of the Monolith trumps anything my gaunts or stealers could claw it with, not even with Toxin Sacs, so nothing happens in assault. I shot at it with my Hive Guard and would have immobilized it, but we disregarded that round of shooting because we remembered it was in Close Combat.

Together my Warriors and Hive Guard manage to knock down three more Destroyers. Not a bad round altogether.

Turn Four

Necrons

His Warriors and Destroyers wipe out the gant squad racing for his objective. His Monolith shoots his Gauss Flux at my gaunts and 'stealers, wiping some out. On the Space Marines front, the C'tan psychic blasts the Thunderfire Cannon Forgemaster operator and kills him. He assaults the Sniper team but somehow only manages to kill one.

To be concluded...

Last edited by Mads; October 26th, 2010 at 21:09.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x1)

AMAZING TWIST ENDING

Aaaaand the game ends. My buddy's girlfriend was called into coming to work early, and they only had one ride, so they left.

This is what the board looked like in the end. Or, rather, CLOSE to the end. I forgot to take a picture of the final layout, but that's pretty close to how it lay, except maybe for the termagants that were wiped out I notice still being there.

Middle objective is held by no one (although my Warrior Prime was nearby).
    Necron objective has nothing on it, what with my Trygon Prime pulling his troops into assault.
    Space Marine objective is menaced by C'tan Nightbringer who is within contesting range.
    Tyranids had gants sitting on their objective.

FINAL RESULT:

VICTORY FOR SPLINTER FLEET CERBERUS!

Post-Game Analysis:

Through it all I really only had a mind to shoot and survive, forgetting entirely about the objectives; winning was purely an accident. In retrospect though, a lot of decisions I'd made that I thought were mistakes turned out to work very favorably for me.

By the time the C'tan had reached the SM Sniper Team, he had one wound left before he croaked. I had a choice between shooting him and a Necron Destroyer and I chose the Destroyer. Looking back, I'm really glad I didn't kill the C'tan, because he ended up tying up the Space Marine objective.

Assaulting the Monolith with my gaunts didn't seem to do a whole lot and seemed to be a huge mistake at first... but then I looked back and realized that if the game had gone on for one or two more turns it was effectively immobilized as long as there was at least one gaunt or 'stealer on it, and thus couldn't contest my objective. As an added bonus, no one could teleport in from it either. It could only either shoot at the dudes holding it up, or at the gants on my objective... which could then be replaced by my tougher Warriors.

At first blush, and from my inexpert ponderings, I don't think I could have been dislodged from my very comfortable position. I joked that they let me win, and they said that they didn't, and I am inclined to believe them.

Like I said, my buddy threw C'tan into the fray just to be a jerk to his friend, and because he really, really loved the C'tan. Looking back, if he had fielded the two Necron Lords with Res Orbs and full upgrades like he had been debating to do, he might have been in a better situation in the game altogether even without his C'tan slaughtering his way through the SMs.

The Space Marines player of course couldn't afford to ignore the threat jumping down his throat. His build made it so that if he ran away he couldn't use his shooty to reduce my threats to a fine paste. So he chose to stay and tough it out while I pretty much had free rein of the board.

If the game had gone on, I think I could very well have forced the Necron player to phase out, what with my Trygon Prime going to town on his Warriors, and Hive Guard shooting at his Destroyers. In a pinch, I think my T-Fex could have run at him too too shoot its Dessicatpr Larva template at them.

That would leave only the SM to deal with. I might have counted on the C'tan killing as many SMs as it could before getting killed in turn or phasing out. As for what was left behind, I didn't have to worry about the cannon anymore, and the tank was long gone. The Standard Bearers were something I was told I would want to avoid assault with, but I had enough Hive Guard and T-Fex shooting to kill all four of them off one by one. Even if his Snipers survived, there'd just be so many fleet CC-oriented threats coming his way in my Trygon Prime and surviving gaunts and 'stealers that I doubt he could take care of all of them. The meltas he had might be a problem, but with me sitting pretty on two or even three objectives, I don't see how it could be gamechanging.

Things might have turned out differently if the C'tan has gone after me instead, but that's a woulda coulda shoulda hypothetical that's useless to dwell on at this point.

So what do you guys think? Where am I on the money in my thinking, and where am I wrong? It was great fun playing this game, and invaluable as a learning experience. Hopefully I can get my first in-store one-on-one this weekend, and I'll post a battle report on that one too.

For now, thanks for reading and looking! Until next time, good hunting!
    Last edited by Mads; October 26th, 2010 at 22:18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

First of all, congrats on your win! I really like the format of your battle report, it's easy to read and informative without going in to the hum-drum details. I would like a few more pictures though.

There are also a few mistakes made, for starter you don't get locked in combat when assaulting a vehicle. You would if it were a walker, but not against a Monolith, so your Hive Guard would in-fact have immobilized it. At the same place it also seems you did the phases wrong, assault is after shooting, might just be a slip when typing it down though, but it should be "move->shoot->assault". Finally, your models did not have the Monolith 'effectively immobilized' since it's a vehicle and cans just move away from your guy, or fly over them, or tank shock its way through them. Without proper synapse coverage most of your units are very weak against tank shocks, you might want to keep that in mind in the future. Also, check if you can hurt something before assaulting it, it's always ok to ask. Most of the time you will be hitting AV 10 or possibly 11 in close combat (rear armour) but there are a handful of vehicles that have AV 14 all around, the two I can think of right now are the Monolith and Land Raider variants, those require bigger guns to deal with, and even then it's not rare for it to be better to just ignore them depending on the situation.

And finally, a clarification, when running with your Hormagaunts, roll three dice and pick the highest roll as the distance they run.

Anyhow, good reading and good luck in future games!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x1)

Thank you! But don't credit me for the battle report format-- I owe a lot to jy2's reports, which I read some of before deciding to post.

That stuff about the Monolith clarifies things! Thank you! And yeah, I know that assault comes after shooting, but I guess I took some liberties with the sequences for stylistic purposes. I guess it comes out relatively even, although I don't even know the rules for Tank Shock. Would the Prime being nearby have helped at all?

I wasn't even planning on making a report for this, as it was just a trial game, but I was pleased with how it turned out, so I decided to do so anyway. I'll try to take more pictures of my future games for a full report, and maybe even use the LO Battle Map Editor.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Prime would've helped greatly.

Some mistakes:
    Trygons can't assault the turn they deep strike.
    Your wound allocation from the Monolith's blast is off. The AP1 hit from the centre of the blast (I assume this was over a Warrior) means there's one AP1 hit to be allocated to any unit of your choice in that group. It touched the Tyrannofex, meaning the Tyrannofex takes one normal S9 AP3 hit. The rest of the hits should be allocated to Warriors.
    The Hive Guard's immo result should've counted, but someone already mentioned this.
    Genestealers can, technically, wound the Monolith if they're wearing adrenal glands. They can't kill it though.
    The C'tan shouldn't be able to use his psychic shooting power on one group of units (thunderfire cannon operator), then assault another (snipers).

Some rookie mistakes, but all in all less mistakes than we did when we were new to the game. Sounds like a fun first game. Shame it had to end early. Well done writing a report from it all - it's a great way to learn from your mistakes, and it's entertaining for the rest of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as the necron player for this particular game, well just as my own excuse i guess im still semi new to warhammer also, so its kinda like the blind leading the blind so to speak but i admit my faults cause i know the general basis behind the rules but im still picking up on rules so i thank you guys for pointing out my mistakes

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Great battle report. Easy to read also. I like the format.

As you guys are new to this, I will point out some some of the mistakes in your games and also give you some tips for future games. Please don't take any of my comments as negative criticism.

1) As mentioned by Slaw, the trygon cannot assault on the turn it comes in from reserves (deepstrikes). As a matter of fact, probably 99% of the units in 40k cannot assault on the turn it deepstrikes (there is 1 exception which I am aware of - Vanguards).

2) I could be mistaken about this, but from your description, it seems only 1 warrior was wounded by the monolith's big blast. Regarding the big blast and wound allocation, you don't necessarily have to remove the models underneath the blast marker (or template). Thus, when his monolith fired the large blast on your tyranid warriors, you don't have to allocate the wound on the venom cannon warrior even though he was the one underneath the marker. You could've put the wound on any model in the unit.

3) As Mr Slaw also pointed out, you can only assault the unit you shoot at. Thus, when the c'tan shot down the thunderfire cannon, then he shouldn't have able to assault the snipers as they weren't his target in shooting. The only exception is if you fire at a transport and wreck it, then you can assault the passengers that were forced to disembark from it (if they are in range of your assault).

4) As also pointed out, you cannot stay in assault with a vehicle that is not a walker. Thus, the monolith can just move out of the way and tank shock your units on the necron player's turn.

--------------------------------------------------------

Now some tips regarding strategy and gameplay:

1) I'm not sure if you did this, but always attache the Tyranid Prime to a unit. Never leave Independent Characters by themselves. They're just too easy to kill that way. Putting them in with a unit makes both the Prime and the unit more durable. If you wanted more synapse coverage, attach the Prime to the termagants. They are 1 source of synapse and your tyranid warriors are another source.

2) There's another reason not to assault the monolith with your gribblies besides the fact that you can't hurt it. The monolith has another firing mode - the Gauss Flux Arc - that fires D6 shots at each and every enemy unit within 12". That's why you don't want to have too many units close to it, unless you are able to kill it that turn.

3) Normally, it's better to have your units stay together as much as possible. As they say, united we stand, divided we fall. However, in this case, it was good that you split them up to go after both armies. This way, they're not as much a threat and doesn't force your opponents to concentrate on your army. So in this scenario, weakness was actually a good strategy. Otherwise, if you're playing 1-on-1, try to keep you army together on the whole, with the exception of any units in reserves.

When 3 dogs fight for a bone, the smart dog would let the other 2 duke it out and then steal the bone away when their resources are depleted.

4) Try to minimize your number of reserves unless you have Hive Commander. In this case, you only had 2 and it actually worked out great for you. It made your army seem less threatening and thus induced your opponents to attack each other as they perceived each other as the bigger "threat", thereby ignoring you initially.

Quote Originally Posted by Inian
    There are also a few mistakes made, for starter you don't get locked in combat when assaulting a vehicle. You would if it were a walker, but not against a Monolith, so your Hive Guard would in-fact have immobilized it. At the same place it also seems you did the phases wrong, assault is after shooting, might just be a slip when typing it down though, but it should be "move->shoot->assault".
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaw
    The Hive Guard's immo result should've counted, but someone already mentioned this.
    I believe what the OP meant, and correct me if I am wrong, was that they played the hive guard shooting out of phase (they shot while he was already engaged in the assault phase with his assault on the monolith). Thus, the shooting did not counted as the shooting phase was already over.
    Last edited by jy2; November 2nd, 2010 at 06:46.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

+ Reply to Thread