Planetary Campaign - One Farseers Journey (Escelation campaign) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planetary Campaign - One Farseers Journey (Escelation campaign)

So we are running a large campaign in our store, where a big planetmap, with around 36 planets, is contested by the many armies that frequent our store. Each "week" a person rolls a dice, and can travel that far through space, taking a planet, or moving closer to one. I hope you'll join me for my journey, Farseer Couer Al'aran, as she extends the influence of the Eldar through this galaxy.

This thread will contain my battle reports as I go on. So I believe this is the correct forum.

Rules

Force Org - You start with 500pts, and must have one HQ, and one Troops, minimum. All other restrictions apply. No Named characters!
    Combat - You gain 100pts for winning a match, attack or defend. If you win on a planet, you conquer it. Gaining an additional 250pts.
    Leaders - Each HQ that is removed as a casualty must roll a dice. On a 1, he is too injured to participate in your next game.

Planet Bonuses - Each planet has 2 special bonuses. I will explain these as I win them (since I don't know them all.)

My 500pts List.

Farseer Coeur Al'aran - Guide
    5x Dire Avengers
    5x Fire Dragons
    1x Nightspinner - Spirit Stones
    1x Fire Prism - Holofield, Spirit Stones.

I began by being assigned a planet, found by rolling a set amount of dice. I rolled epicly low, and got 10. This gave me 2 bonuses. 1) Captured TechPriests (+50pts of free vehicle upgrades.) These I promptly spent on giving my Nightspinner a holofield, and a shuriken cannon to my fire prism.

I also gained "Furious Assault" which meant as long as I held the planet, I could seize the initiative on a 4+, rather than a 6. Brilliant!

No sooner had this happened, when a Space Marine also managed to roll a 10, meaning that he immediately declared war and attacked my planet. Joy.

The Archangels (Original chapter, no special rules.)
    1x Chaplain + Jetpack + Rosarius (not sure if thats basic), combi-melta
    10x Snipers, 9 with rifles, one missile launcher.
    10x (Maybe more) assault marines, with melta bombs, melta guns and I think a plasma pistol.

My Opponent won the dice roll and elected to deploy first, putting both his units clumped in a tiny circle on top of a space port landscape piece, opposite the main building he assumed I'd take cover in. I retaliated by placing my dire Avangers in said building as a lure, and placing everything else what I assumed was 36inches away, in the opposite corner of the board.

Coeur was not willing to risk precious eldar lives, not when the mon-keigh had deigned to only bring close combat troops.

With barrage, it would have been epic instant slaughter, (the space port had no roof, and thus with barrage, offered no cover saves.) Obviously, even with furious assualt, I rolled a 3, and so he took first turn. The battle was annihilation, pitched battle. And I had 5 KP's available, to his 3.

Turn 1 ) - The snipers began by finding the Fire Prism had misjudged and was within range of three of them, all three hit, but failed to score the necessary "rending" attack they needed. The assault marines jumped forwards, and ran in the shooting phase. Bringing them incredibly close to the Dire Avengers building.
    Turn 1) - The Eldar responded by moving the fire prism back a few inches, leaving the dragons between, and commencing with Guide on the Nightspinner. The Spinner shot at the assault marines, scattering scant inches and killing two, they were fearless and so ignored pinning. The Fire prism tried the same and scattered massively, focused blast. The Avengers opened fire and managed to drop two marines also.

Turn 2) - The Assault marines tried for normal movement, not realising they were in dangerous "anyway" thanks to the nightspinner, but lost NO One. They got up one floor of the building for 3 inches, and then stopped. The snipers refused to move, but shot the missile launcher at the nightspinner, failing to penetrate it. In the assault move the marines failed to make it 3 inches to the next floor, but it was all for naught, as they knew the avengers would not be able to draw line of sight down through floor to them, anyway.
    Turn 2) With little options, and the assault marines directly below the Avengers, the prism and guided spinner shot at the scouts, causing a massive amount of wounds, and leaving the squad on just one man, the missile launcher. He fled.

Turn 3) - The assault marines moved upstairs, normal movement so no dangerous, they still refrained from shooting in case their charge distance was abysmal. Due to ATSKNF, the single scout rallied, and prompty hid behind a terrain piece, determined to deny the killpoint. The Assault marines charged the Avengers, annihilating them all. They then consolidated out of sight.
    Turn 3) - The fire prism moved 12 to get into a new firing arch, but could see nothing yet. The nightspinner cared not and fired blind at the scout, tearing him to shreds. 1-1.

Turn 4) - The Assault marines moved closer, but still out of sight, utterly refusing to leave the building.
    Turn 4) - Both tanks moved closer, the prism drawing a shot but scattering, and the spinner claiming one man. There was now just one marine, and a chaplain... Either would net me a kill point victory.

Turn 5) - He passes dangerous terrain and hides again, moving totally behind the building. The store manager halts this, as his models were half off the board, and says he cannot do it. The marines stay still, out of sight.
    Turn 5) - Fire prism scatters AGAIN... as does Spinner, the horror! The game could end with a draw...

Turn 6) - He roll's a 3, keeping the game going another turn. He begind by measuring the distance to my nearby nightspinner, seeing if it is in range for him to move, combi melta and assault. i quickly inform him that he cannot pre-measure in 40k, and by doing so, has committed himself to the move. He contests, but the manager rules in my favour, since it was clear he was measuring for an assault. Throwing caution to the wind, he jetpacks, but doesnt fail dangerous terrain. He does combi melta, but it fails to penetrate on 1 dice. Not in assault range.
    Turn 6) - Fire dragons move close, fire prism MISSES. Nightspinner has wounds saved on armour... OMG.... Farseer guides dragons. Only 2 in range! Both hit. Both wound. Chaplain fails both on invulnerable, meaning he, and the marine die.

3-1 Eldar Victory.

+100pts for Victory

We each then had a move to make. Since this attack was in planet allocation. I chose to settle an unheld planet, netting a free +250pts. My opponent did the same, not wishing to risk an attack, and be left 250-350pts behind everyone else.

This turns out to hold fantastic results, as the planet (Planet 3, i forget generic names) is both an Ammunition dump, and also.. An assassin academy!!!! Roll 4d6, and pick a random assassin. I net, the Calidus Assassin. She can be used until she dies, after which, she is lost. The ammo dump allows me 50pts of free wargear, within regulations and limits. I do not have to use the Calidus in all matches.

Minor fear of my friend, who fields a Space wolf army, and finds the only other Assassin academy, and promptly rolls a Culexus (Anti-Psyker), as i am the ONLY army using Psykers at this time...

The next move is on Thursday, next week. And I hope to have similar success. This is all building to a huge battle in the final week. Where we choose sides between a Grey Knight and Inquisitorial assault, or a greater Demon. Both having massively impressive profiles.

Next Week - I have 350 pts to spend. Plus 50 Free Tank wargears, and 50 free character wargears. I'd love advice, though the 50 free tank are pretty much allocated to a holofield on the spinner, and a shuriken cannon on the prism. (5pts spare.) I "think" I will be attacked by the Space Wolves next week, as they noticed which planet held my assassins academy, and would likely love the chance to net 2 assassins in their army.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YOU NEED A SECOND PRISM!!!!! they don't work well alone...
    Yes as in the book.

And get dem Dragons out of dem Falcons! Downright embarisin sometimes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also, WHY ARE YOU GUIDING THE NIGHTSPINNER IT ALREADY HAS TWIN LINKED GUNS!

Its called doom. A very useful power.
    Yes as in the book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I wasn't aware the main spinner was twin-linked, I'll definitely check. And the reason Ive skipped doom at this time, was because all my army (bar DA's who were bait) were wounding on 2+. As for the extra prism. Well here is my "theorised" 350pts growth.

Troops - 5xPathfinders. (Reasoning - After the first game, i feel I need a 2nd option, mainly to hold a back-field objective. Being able to offer 36inch support fire too will be brilliant. The 2+ cover save, and 5-6 ap1, will be a great boon as well.
    Prism (2nd) - Holofields + Stones + Shuri cannon. (as you said really. One seemed okay in 500pts, but well... now i want to fry marines.)
    Vyper + Brightlance - I know this may seem like a lot of anti-tank, but I'm aiming for a mobile army, and thus want to end an opponents mobility ASAP. Afterwards, this can act as an assassin, popping any lone characters who are left stranded if a unit dies.
    Farseer Gains : Doom, Witnessing, Spirit Stones. The 24 inch range on doom will be a small problem, but I can always use it near the end, when im allowing the enemy closer to me. Otherwise he will either guide the Prism, or snipers.

Do people think this is an ok idea?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

when i actually played eldar i found the pathfinders extremely useful in small point games for character sniping
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point i would add an extra prism, and a 10 man squad of DA, with a serpent. Eventually you will get into the 1000+ points category, and if you can start getting the average tournament units earlier, instead of spending points on models you will eventually need to replace, thats gonna put you at a huge advantage.

That is unless you are allowed to change your list mid tourney.

The farseer looks great.

Use your vehicle equipment points on the serpent. Easy way to cheat the system. Purchase the necessary upgrades like the top cannon, and spirit stones with the upgrade points so you can purchase the vehicle for its base cost.

Here is how I would spend the points:

MAIN POINTS
    115 Fire Prism
    90 Wave Serpent
    152 10x DA (exarch, twin launchers, bladestorm)
    TOTAL 347

VEHICLE UPGRADES

30 Eldar Missile Launcher
    10 Spirit stones
    10 Shuriken cannon
    TOTAL 50
    Yes as in the book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, I see your point. I am stuck with what i choose, I cannot ever back out. But neither can any of my opponents, I do have a vague idea of what some enemies list. I'm unsure if I should consider a wave serpent this time however. Or... after this one, quickly snap up 2 serpents with EML's, and 5 more DA's. After my Prism's last performance, and the fire it attracted, I really dont want to run it without a holofield and stones.

Then again, fielding "another" large tank does sound appealing to me. I think part of me is simply gutted (im starting eldar afresh, so i BUY as I win!) That i bought 5x Rangers T_T.... And 2 Wraithlords.... utter fail. £74.... But perhaps I could bring them in later as Pathfinders. Out of fear, I'd be forced to alter your suggestion. If only losing the shuri on the serpent, and the exarch on DA's, for holofields on the Prism.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok then. Just make sure you can eventually buy the upgrades later on. 10 DA without bladestorm exarch is not a good idea. The shuri on the serpent was only because you had 10 extra points

had to edit because of quote fail...
    Yes as in the book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

The 24" range on doom is not a problem if you have your farseer in a wave serpent. I'd recommend putting the farseer in a wave serpent with your DAs, especially if you can beef them up to 10 with bladestorm. Guide + Doom + Bladestorm = carnage. And yes, you should probably take a 2nd prism. this way if one gets shaken the other can still fire, and if neither is shaken, you can combine beams. Incredibly usefull against marines and land raiders and russes and the like. For now though I'd recommend taking what soulforge said. Since you already bought pathfinders you could probably bring them in later, but at this point there are better things to choose.
    The enemy's gate is down

+ Reply to Thread