2500pts 'Ard Boyz Dark Eldar Alpha Strike Army vs Shooty Tyranids w/Biovores! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do the Tyranids have a chance against the new Dark Eldar?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tyranids don't have a chance in hell.

9 42.86%
  • Draw.

4 19.05%
  • Dark Eldar is just another bio-mass waiting to be consumed.

8 38.10%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

2500pts 'Ard Boyz Dark Eldar Alpha Strike Army vs Shooty Tyranids w/Biovores!

This is a proxy game to test out how dangerous Dark Eldar can be. Although there are many DE builds, I think this is one of the more competitive builds - a shooty DE MSU alpha-strike army.

I will be testing it with a new Tyranid build that I've been experimenting with very recently - biovores! It will only be my 3rd time using them, but I like what they can do so far.

I will be playing sometime this week and will post results later.

Without further ado, the lists:

2500 HIVE FLEET PANDORA (Mine)
    Hive Tyrant - Heavy Venom Cannon, TL-Devourers - 210
    1x Tyrant Guards - Lash Whips - 65
    Hive Tyrant - Heavy Venom Cannon, TL-Devourers - 210
    1x Tyrant Guards - Lash Whips - 65

3x Hive Guards - 150
    3x Hive Guards - 150
    2x Hive Guards - 100

Tervigon - Catalyst, Cluster Spines, Onslaught, Toxin Sacs - 200
    11 Termagants - 55
    Tervigon - Catalyst, Cluster Spines, Onslaught, Toxin Sacs - 200
    10 Termagants - 50

Harpy - Cluster Spines, TL-Heavy Venom Cannon - 170

3x Biovores - 135
    3x Biovores - 135
    Tyrannofex - Cluster Spines, Desiccator Larvae, Rupture Cannon - 265

TOTAL - 2500

2500 DARK ELDAR
    Asdrubael Vect

4x Kabalite Trueborn - 4x Blasters, Venom w/Flickerfield + 2x Splinter Cannons

10x Kabalite Warriors - Splinter Cannon, Raider w/Flickerfield
    5x Kabalite Warriors - Shredder, Raider w/Flickerfield

6x Reavers - 2x Cluster Caltrops
    6x Reavers - 2x Cluster Caltrops

Ravager - Flickerfield, Nightshield

TOTAL - 2493pts

How do you think my tyranids will do against this type of army?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're in for a though matchup,

Kabalite structure, due to the insane amout of poison and HighS/LowAP (in Blasterform), however, he's got close to nothing on) CC, even the WS4 I5 A2 of the Kabalite True Born is close to worthless, I'd just rush forward, making best use of screens of sacrificial units, and IIRC, most of nids shooting is Assault, so blow up his raiders while you're at it, once his raiders are gone, you'll find yourself in CC in a minimous amount of time, and versus this army, CC= nids win, don't forget blaster rang is a humble 18", so you'd only need to survive one round of blaster shooting, just as always, blow their transports up, they'll struggle without it (not a single warrior darklance, oh well, might as well enjoy that ^^ )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Damn, that is a fast army. Not to mention between the two of you, that game table is going to be packed! 12 Large skimmers, 12 Jetbikes plus your force. I hope you take pictures because that looks fantastic!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
    Damn, that is a fast army. Not to mention between the two of you, that game table is going to be packed! 12 Large skimmers, 12 Jetbikes plus your force. I hope you take pictures because that looks fantastic!
    its proxied so wont look so great
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Should be interesting... i think its a very simple case of first turn wins. If you can knock down those trueborn venoms quickly enough, the biovores can take down what comes out and possibly putting the hurt on the ravagers could work very nicley.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post

Yeah, unfortunately there won't be any pictures as they DE army consists mainly of proxies and very few actual DE models.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

PRE-GAME ANALYSIS:

Dark Eldar:
    His strategy should be simple enough. Just shoot and shoot some more. Don't disembark unless absolutely necessary. It's better to rapid-fire splinter rifles from the safety of the transport than to disembark and risk eating 3 pie plates from my biovores. Do not assault unless it is with Vect's unit. Target priority should be the tyrants and hive guards first and then the tervigons. Everything is should be secondary.

As customary, kill points should be the main disadvantage of DE. That hasn't changed from last edition. However, they are strong in objectives-based missions. Deployment-wise, DE don't care. They have enough mobility to get to almost anywhere on the board.

Tyranids:
    I need to get my hive guards to within shooting range. Going first will help, but I don't believe that going first is everything. As a matter of fact, I believe that most likely I will be going 2nd. My strategy is just as simple. Deploy my whole army on the board, using the gants as a screening unit. Then move forwards and fire as a whole.

I'll have a tough time in Capture and Control, as my army is slow and will probably never reach his objective. Seize ground is probably even. While I don't have his mobility in reaching objectives, I'll probably have more scoring units than him thanks to my tervigons. Where I may have the advantage is in Annihilation...that is, if I don't get annihilated first.

It's going to boil down to a battle of guns, and in that department, he outnumbers me big time. I've lost my toughness advantage that I normally enjoy against MEQ armies, but I hope I have just enough to give the new DE a good battle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission: Seize Ground - 4 objectives
    Deployment: Spearhead
    Initiative: Tyranids, but then the sneaky Dark Elves steal it!

DEPLOYMENT:
    There is an impassable hill in the center of the map which blocks LOS. Then there are 6 area terrains, 2 in each deployment zone and another 2 in the center to the right and left of the hill.

Note: All descriptions of positions are from the perspective of the tyranid player.

Tyranids deploy with the gaunts in front and the 2 hive tyrants on the outsides (the tyrant guards are in area terrain, thus giving the tyrant cover as well). On the right side (from tyranid perspective) is the tyrannofex, the unit of 2 hive guards (in area terrain) and 1 harpy. T-fex is using tyrant for cover and the harpy is using the t-fex for cover. Behind the left tyrant is another harpy. Finally, in the middle (between the 2 tyrants) are the hive guards and biovores. Behind the middle hive guards are the tervigons and the last harpy.

For Dark Eldar deployment, he basically breaks it into 2 halves. On the right side are 3 raiders and behind them, 2 venoms and 1 ravager. On the left side are 2 raiders and 1 venom. Behind them are 2 ravagers and the last raider (with 5 Kabalites and Vect). Between these 2 halves all the way forwards are the 2 units of reavers.

Dark Eldar steals the initiative with a natural '6'!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Note: We made some mistakes while playing this game - me because I don't normally use some of the units like harpies and biovores and my brother because this is his first game with the new Dark Eldar. Some mistakes were:

- I forgot that biovore barrages were pinning. I finally remembered later in the game.

- I forgot that the harpies' heavy venom cannons were twin-linked for the entire game.

- I forgot to fire the biovores on my turn 1!

- He forgot about his pain tokens initially. He didn't keep track at first as several units fired at the same target. He did remember later in the game. I think probably 1 or 2 of his Kabalite Warriors should have gotten FNP (and maybe furious charge as well). Oh well, you snooze, you lose.

Also, even though this is an objectives game, I'm going to keep a tally on the kill points just to see how it would have turned out had we played annihilation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DE1
    The reavers turbo-boost the full 36", dropping their caltrops and bladevanes on my 2 3-hive guard units. Thanks to Toughness 6, one unit loses 2W (losing 1 hive guard) and the other unit loses 3W (also losing 1 hive guard + 1W on another). All the other vehicles move 6" forwards to make sure they are within range to shoot.

It takes all 3 of the left ravagers, raiders and venom (and splinter cannon warrior squad inside) just to put 3W on my left tyrant and kill its tyrant guard. The 6 DE vehicles on the right manage to kill my right hive tyrant only as his tyrant guard made every single cover/armor save. They also fail to wound the right 2 hive guards.

In assault, the reaver units move another 6" away from my army.

DE: 2, Tyranids: 0

Tyranids 1
    My whole army advances. Right tervigon spawns 12 gaunts and left tervigon 14. No doubles rolled. Spawned gaunts go after the 2 reaver units as does 2 harpies. The tervigons cast FNP on 2 units of hive guards. My left harpy takes 1W from jumping out of dangerous terrain.

My left tyrant fires it's heavy venom cannon at the middle venom and wrecks it, pinning the trueborn in the process. Hive guards stun 1 of the right venoms and explode another (out of 3 pens, flickerfield saved 1). 2 trueborns die in the explosion and the whole unit is pinned. The last unit of hive guards whiff, hitting only 1 out of 4 shots and rolling 1 for the penetration. 1 harpy shoots and scatters onto the pinned trueborns, killing another 1 (1 trueborn left). Despite cover, the tyrannofex stuns the right ravager. Finally, the gaunts and harpies open fire on the 2 reaver units. They kill 1 from 1 squad and 3 from the other, whole fail morale and fall back.

In this turn, I forget to fire my biovores.

In assault, the harpy and gaunts charge the 5-man reaver unit. He kills 2 gaunts while I kill 3 reavers. They then fail morale and fall back as well, essentially unable to regroup.

DE: 2, Tyranids: 2

DE2
    Reavers continue to fall back, as the one who can regroup is still within 6" of my unit. While falling back, they take pot shots at my harpy and put 1W on it. The other DE vehicles shuffle a little, with the right raiders moving 6" to be within double-tap range of some of my right units.

It takes 2 of the left ravagers and 1 raider just to kill my hive tyrant out in the open with no FNP. Another 2 raiders and 1 splinter cannon put 1W on my left hive guards. Finally, on the right side, 2 raiders and 2 rapid-fire kabalite warrior units kill my right tervigon. From his death throes, 5 gaunts to his right and 4 gaunts to his left die as well. Luckily, they are within synapse range of my last synapse creature - the left tervigon. Uh oh! Things won't be looking too good for me if he dies. The last raider (the very right one) and crew fires at my right hive guards. Thanks to FNP, they only take 1W from 22 poisoned shots and 1 dark lance!

DE: 4, Tyranids: 2

Tyranids 2
    My last tervigon spawns 14 gaunts and then becomes sterile. He then FNP's himself. Nids advance. The outside gaunts (by the reavers) pass their Instinctive Behaviour test and move towards an objective.

In shooting, my hive guards wreck 1 of the left raiders, explode the other left raider (2 warriors die but they are otherwise ok) and wreck 1 of the right raiders. It's crew gets pinned. Outside termagants fire at 3-man reaver unit, killing 2 so that they can no longer rally. One of my harpies fires at a raider, but its shot scatters back onto it, inflicting 1W to itself (forgot I was able to re-roll due to being twin-linked). T-fex fires at the right raider and explodes it, but all the wounded warriors make their cover saves! One biovore unit completely misses, but the other one causes 18 wounds on the right kabalite warriors in the crater, of which 6 dies.

In assault, the gaunts charge the single reaver and kill him, consolidating towards area terrain.

DE: 4, Tyranids: 7

DE3
    The last remaining venom (on the right) moves up, and the trueborn disembark into the crater. Vect's raider moves flat-out forwards to just behind the impassable terrain. A couple of other vehicles shift around. Some of the infantry (trueborn) moves closer while others jockey into rapid-fire range. Kabalite warriors try to stay in terrain. Last reaver unit continues to fall back.

Then they open fire. The venom and trueborn blasters finish off the right hive guards. Another unit of trueborns (from the venom that was wrecked on Turn 1) fires at the left hive guards and kills 1. The 4-man warriors on the right shoot at and kill only 1 gaunt thanks to cover. 1 ravager puts 2W on the T-fex (3W left) while the other 2 ravagers team up on the tervigon....and completely whiff, failing to hurt it at all. The warriors in the right raider double-tap the nearby harpy (whose shot scattered back on itself the previous turn) and finish it off. Their raider than shoots at the T-fex and put yet another 1W on it (2W left). Finally, the 2 disembarked warrior squads on the left rapid-fires at the 2 closest termagant units. They go-to-ground out in the open, and 9 dies from one unit while 4 dies from the other.

DE: 6, Tyranids: 7

Tyranids 3
    Tervigon FNP's itself again and some of the nids move. Outside gaunts fail their Instinctive Behavior this time, so they just sit there and fire at the fleeing reavers, wiping them out. It takes 2 units of hive guards firing at Vect's raider to blow it up, killing 1 warrior in the process. The T-fex fires at 1 of the left ravagers and explodes it. Now biovores fire. 1 biovore aims at a unit of trueborn and Vect's warriors. It scatters though...onto the unit of 10 warriors that were pinned last turn. 7 warriors die and they become pinned yet again. The other biovores fire at the same target (trueborns and Vect's warriors). 2 direct hits causes 3 trueborns and 3 warriors from Vect's squad to die. The single trueborn survivor fails morale and high-tails it out of there, unable to rally.

In assault, the lone tyrant guard is in range and furiously charges the right raider. My opponent may have forgotten about him as he didn't move his raider last turn. The tyrant guard proceeds to pen it twice and explode it. The explosion takes out 1 nearby trueborn, 1 nearby warrior from the squad of 4 warriors, and 3 warriors that were in the raider. They then fail their morale and fall back. Wow.

So far, my tyranids have destroyed 2 venoms, all 6 raiders and 1 ravager. As for the Dark Eldar, they have killed my 2 tyrants, 1 tervigon and 1 harpy as well as some hive guards and put wounds on my other monstrous creatures.

DE: 6, Tyranids: 12

To be continued....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dude, this is sounding so cool. nice battle report. im hanging out for the second part!

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

DE4
    Fleeing warriors fail to regroup but only fall back 4". The 3 Kabalite warriors embark onto the venom and it moves 12" towards his right objective and the ravager also moves to give cover to the venom. Other other ravager also moves as well. Vect splits off from the last warrior (with the shredder) to go after my units. The warrior then moves towards an objective and the trueborns move up.

In shooting, the trueborns kill the tyrant guard. The venom takes aim at the 4 gaunts near his objective and lets loose splinter fire. It kills 3 gaunts (thanks to cover) and the surviving gaunt falls back 11". The right ravager fires at the T-fex but completely whiffs, while the left ravager fires at the single hive guard and only manages to cause 1W to it. The 2 warrior squads team up and fires at the Tervigon, but they are out of double-tap range. Still they manage to cause 3W to it despite FNP.

In assault, Vect assaults unit of 2 hive guards and easily wipes them out. He then consolidates towards the tervigon.

DE: 8, Tyranids: 12

Tyranids 4
    I need to stop Vect. Otherwise, he will probably run rampant through my army. The lone gaunt continues to fall back. Tervie FNP's himself and moves away from Vect. Biovores then surround Vect. 1 harpy moves towards the 3 trueborns on the right, and the other harpy moves towards the left ravager. The 2 smaller gaunt units move towards his 2 left warrior squads (and contest his objective), and my 12-gaunts unit covers my objective and gets ready to shoot at Vect.

Tervie fires a big blast (cluster spines) at one of his warrior squads, but it scatters back and kills 2 of 4 gaunts. The left harpy fails to hit the left ravager so the T-fex shoots at it as well and stuns it. The right harpy shoots and kills 2 of 3 trueborns. The biovores fire at the 2 left warrior units and kill 6 from 1 and 3 from the other (this unit went to ground).

Now to deal with Vect. Gaunts fire at him and causes 6W, of which he fails 1 and shorts out his shadow field. He does, however, make his FNP so doesn't lose a wound. Then my lone hive guard blows him away. Problem solved, thank you very much.

In assault, I decide not to assault his warriors with my gaunts, as he would've probably wiped them out. The left harpy is about 1" out of assault of his ravager. The right harpy assaults his lone trueborn and easily rips him apart.

DE: 8, Tyranids: 14

DE5
    It is getting down to the wire. So far, I haven't mentioned too much about objectives, so here's the rundown. There are 4 objectives - 2 on my side and 2 on the DE side. Currently, DE owns both of their objectives and I have one on my side. The other objective on my side is contested by his kabalite warriors (2 squads) and my gaunts (also 2 squads). Though I am ahead in units destroyed, I need to be able to contest his objectives or blow his troops away. I also need to destroy his ravagers or they will be contesting my objective. Unfortunately, I don't have anything near his objectives besides 1 unit of termagants that is out of synapse range.

The fleeing Kabalite warriors fail morale for the 3rd time and flee off the board. On the right side, 1 trueborn, 3 warriors, 1 warrior with shredder and the ravager concentrate fire to remove my right harpy (the one that killed his trueborns last turn). The venom fires 12 poisoned shots at my gaunts....and kill only 1 due to cover. Over on the left side, his 4-warrior squad puts 2W on my left harpy (1W remaining). The other unit of warriors did not fire due to going-to-ground last turn.

DE: 9, Tyranids: 15

Tyranids 5
    The lone gaunt falls back some more. The right gaunts fail their Instinctive Behaviour test again and stay put. Oh man, I really needed them to go towards his objective (where the warriors in the venom are claiming). My tervigon FNP's the gaunts on my objective, and they move forwards to try to capture both of the objectives. The harpy moves closer to both the ravager and his warriors on the objective. The T-fex move towards the venom on his objective, but he is a good turn away from contesting even if he is to run there (and if he survives).

Here's where I make a big mistake. I move my tervigon forwards towards his warriors on the objective. What I should've done, though, was to move him backwards towards the venom on his objective. Even though he was a million miles away, I should've done that to 1) provide synapse for my right gaunts should there be a next turn and 2) to protect my objective and block it off.

The T-fex shoots at and blows off one of the dark lances from the right ravager. Harpy fires at the left ravager, but he makes his flickerfield save (I think he only made 2 flickerfield saves all game). The hive guard wrecks the venom. Both biovores fire at the 3 warriors from the wrecked venom but only manage to kill 2 (one scattered away badly to form spore mines). Damn. I really needed to kill them. My gaunts shoot at his left warriors and only manage to kill 1 due to cover.

In assault, my last harpy assaults his stunned ravager and explodes it. No one is killed from the explosion.

DE: 9, Tyranids: 17

If the game was to end now, I would lose 2 to 1 as I failed to contest his objective or to kill off his troops on their objectives. We roll to see if the game continues and....

To be concluded.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast