Ultramarines vs. Tyranids 2000 Point Campaign Match - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

Ultramarines vs. Tyranids 2000 Point Campaign Match

I had started a Thread on how to Bring down MC. You can read about that here:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...eatures-3.html

Forces: Tyranids vs Ultramarines (2000 pt each)
    Deploymentawn of War Capture and Control, he went First

I hate dawn of war. But He deployed at the halfway point, like I knew he would, and b/c of this I had my objective in a building which was within 18'; so I couldn't even start in it. He fields 2 hormoguants broods of 24 and his HT with 2 TG and a Tyranid Prime. I naturally deploy 19" away so he can get the dreaded first turn assualt. I deploy 2 tactical squads and Pedro, flamers and HB, and Combat squad them.

Turn 1: He moves his HT up and his broods of gaunts into my objective after he rolled a 6 on the run, thank god for 19''. SO he decided to load his gaunts into the building on 2nd floor (both broods) and well within my nasty rapid fire range. his HT moves up and passes his Night fighting, he kills one marine. He walks on 2 Trygons, and a Tervigon and a unit of Termogaunts. Also walks on a Zoantrhope. Tervigon spawns a massive 16 guants but rolls double 5's she is done for the game. Praise the Emperor!

I bring everything I have as walk on, Termies inside the Land Raider. Tactical Squad inside the Rhino. Devastators roll as 6 on the run and deploy on a building in the right corner, get to second level. Sniper I hold in reserves to outflank. Every thing else (Sternguard, The Dread, the assualt marines, all walk on right in the center behind Perdro. Everything is 19"" from both flanks except for the Devastators, this is b/c of his gensestealers, I didn't want him to be able to eat up my Sternguard especially, and my devastators are in cover so I will strike first.

Long story short, I rapid fire with sternguard into his guants, use pistols on the 2 assualt squads, the assualt marines. Flamers kill A LOT of him. Dreadnought. I drop probably 24 guants with shooting alone, think mostly to the 3 flamers each scoring 5-7 wounds. I rolled really well this turn, and the hellfire shells wounded on a 2+. His HT rolled 3 failed saves during this phase form my shooting. That is 3 ones, and he put them all on the HT, instead of the guard. This is what pissed him off, but to be fair I was shooting A LOT of stuff at it, Land Raider, the 2 combat squads with the Heavy weapons, about 20 shots, i think I hit with maybe 8. Anyway, I assault his guants with Pedro, the 2 combat squads, the assualt squad and the dead. I kill all but 3 guants on the assault, he wound Pedro once, and kills 3 marines. He is fearless and takes about 13 wound saves, the three gaunts die, I consolidate all my squads, Pedro and the dreadnought stay on the first floor thanks to some ones. The combat squads go up. Assault marines fall back out the building near the middle of my formation because i knew his Zoanthropes were coming. All I can say is praise the SEARCHLIGHT, i finally got use this thing for th night fighting rule.

He is really mad at this point, as he has just lost 2 of his 3 troops. and took major damage on his HQ

Turn 2: He moves a trygon out into the open, doesn't get the Zoanthropes on the reserve roll or the genestealers and is Mad about that. Assault Pedro squad with his HT, and tries some cheesy thing were he tries to get 1 Tyrant Guard into contact with my Assault marines, (kind of like what Kazukun suggested.) But since Pedro and the dread were in the first floor, he had to maximize his base contact, so the GW guy said he couldn't do that. He puts another 2 wounds on Pedro ( but I get to strike to since I was in cover; kills of the Tactical squad 2 more marines. Glancing hit on the Dread, immobilized. I put a some wounds on his Tyrant guard with the DCCW and Pedro. Pedro dies, but he has served his purpose. He is locked in combat with my Dreadnought.

I outflank my scouts, they come in on the left, not really any good for me but oh well. I put them in a building, run them into cover on second floor, run my tactical squad on my objective up 2 more floors at thh top of the building. Move up Rhino and Land Raider. Take shots with Lascannons, Devastators at one of his Trygons without the FNP who is also out in the open (his other was in cover behind a building). Put 3 wounds from the that. Decide to go with the Hellfire rounds again on the Trygon. I only get one shot because of range, but manage to wound with 8 of the 10! Trygon DIES!!! (THANKS everyone for the advice.) SO he is really mad now, he has pretty much given up ALL hope at this point, as I had dropped over 600 points in two turns, and his HT was on the verge of death. Dreadnought loses both weapons, inflicts nothing on the assualt, but leaves him locked in combat with a block.

Turn 3: He gets his genestealers, they outflank onto the Scout side, again he was made he wanted to kill the devastators. They eat all the scouts, I kill one. He deep striked his Zoanthropes in front of my Land Raider. Manage to make it shaken. His HT finishes off the Dreadnought and consolidate toward my Sternguard. Perils of the warp on his other zoanthrope who is out of range of my Rhino, then he decides he wants to shoot my squad with a blast. I told him he couldn't since he measured to the Rhino. He got mad. I told him I normally wouldn't care but since its a campaign then no.

I Move nothing. Devastators inflict one wound on the other Trygon, thanks to the Cover save. The Sternguard finish of his HT and the TG with the Hellfire rounds again. Termies assualt out at Zoanthropes, kill the Drop pod, one wound on the zoanthropes. I kill another genestealer with my assualt marines pistols, out of range to assualt.

Turn 4: He moves his lone Zoanthrope up towards my Rhino (which I had popped smoke on). Genestealers are Barely within range of my sternguard to assualt. ( I say barely as in they were probably a half inch away but he moved them into assualt, causing his model to be "misplaced" I was kinda upset that he did such a dick move since I called for a measure, but decided to let him have it since he was really mad at this point. He kills 3 sternguard.

I assualt his genestealers with my Assualt marines and tactical squad, one Genstealer lives, he kills a couple more sternguard, I have 3 squads tied up. Move the land raider up, it misses his Trygon. The terminators finsih off the other 2 Zoanthropes from the pod and consolidate into the Land Raider. My Rhino move all out towards his base, its going to be close, I am hoping for a round 6 so I can contest. Devastators use frag missile on his Objective against his massive horde of Termaguants, I kill about 5.

Turn 5. His Genestealer dies (barely, my sgt powerfist guy manage to kill him. It was quite odd, I hit with maybe 3 attacks out of the 20 or so I had. I was kind of worried). he kills another sternguard. I consolidate everything up, move up the land raider a full 12 inches. Shoot and kill his last zoanthrope in the middle of the field. The Rhino moves 12'' and unloads. I found out I couldn't shoot with them since I did this, another learning experience. When I asked Tim (the store owner) about the rile he actually asked me to come outside during the game, asked if I was "having fun" i said yeah. He was saying ok, because I can hear Alex (the guy I was playing- named changed to protect the innocent) and he sounds pretty angry. LOL

The game ends on turn 5 with a die roll of one, which would have resulted in a TIE since I was not close enough to contest (something I was worried about); {SIGH} But since it was a campaign, we went to Victory Points. Final score was 1475 to 835, I beat him pretty good. And captured an air field on the campaign map.

I'm not sure if I will Play this guy again simply because of the fact that he was sooo emotional about his guys dying. I told him he had some unlucky rolls and played a good game and we shook hands, but he was so upset it took the fun out of my victory, and we were both fairly new players. Oh well, all's well that ends well.

Last edited by Reiko; November 19th, 2010 at 16:49.
    "For Plunder and Women!"

Bretonnians 7500, Empire 3300, Dwarfs 4800; Space Marines 2000, Tyranids 3000

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Well played sir

However i have a few comments on the part of the tyranid player... thats a pretty poor list from what i managed to get from the report, and he played it pretty badly all told. Deploying the guants and Tyrant like that was madness.

Also his deployment is illegal, a tyranid prime is an H Q choice, as is the tyrant. He should know its 1 HQ in dawn of war only so he couldnt have deployed them both.

However you really punished him for his errors, so well played!
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

Haha thinks, I think he upgraded one of his Tyrant guard to a Prime, if not then oh well, I won either way.

His list was something like this.

Hive Tyrant w Bonesword and VC
    3 Tyrant Guard(one is a Prime)
    2 Broods of 24 Homoguants
    1 Brood of 18 termagaunts
    1 tervigon
    2 trygons
    1 Elite Zoanthrope
    2 Zoanthropes with Mscenic Spore Pod
    8 Genestealers

If that is the case then I will let him, know But I ahvn't read the Tyranid Codex, so I'' have to check it out before I say something, just to make sure I don't put my foot in my mouth.
    "For Plunder and Women!"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Lol no 'fraid not, theres no such thing as a tyrant guard prime!! He would have used a tyranid prime (basically a warrior on steriods) trust me that was very illegal.

As for the list... Yeah thats pretty poor. Doesnt take anything away from the win though, but as nid lists go, thats not up there. Still congrats on the win!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

erm... correct me if im wrong but im 99% sure your only allowed to use each special ammo for sternguard once and all must pick the same. You use hellfire round way to many times - that gave you a major advantage at the points you needed it

Only expections are say if half use their combi meltas whilst the other use hellfire. then in the next tern the combi melta ones now use hellfire and the others now use their combi ( they wouldn't be able to use a second ammo either as combi are the only exceptions to them all having to use the same ammo.
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

344 (x8)

Cant see anything like that in the book Rafici, just says that "each time the squad fires... choose which type of ammunition used... Each special ammo type replaces the boltgun profile with the one shown here... all models must use the same type of ammunition"

Couldnt find anything that would seem to say each ammunition is one shot only though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

it seems a little strange how you resolve some of your close combats, but it may just be your writing style. on some of your combats it seems he rolls his hits and wounds and then you say you still get to strike because you were in cover. you then say you rolled your combat and then resolved(removed or allocated wounds to multi-wound monsters)

being behind cover does not mean you strike first, it means that to get to you, your opponent had to go through difficult terrain, and therefor his initiative has been reduced to 1(BRB pg.36). you would resolve all combat in initiative order, so you would roll, resolve, and then if he survived he would then get to roll.

allowing someone to roll their assault and waiting to resolve till after striking from cover is a recipe for confusion

according to the big rule book (pg.67 you can not move after disembarking from a transport that has moved(unless you have assualt ramps) but you can shoot.

it sounds like the player you were playing was not having a good day, but he may just be ok when not having the snot kicked out of him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

@ Rafici- you can fire the ammo types more than once. So I can fire Hellfire ROunds every turn. YOu cannot mix the ammo types between squad members, everyone has to fire the same ammo type at the same target that turn. You are probably confusing the one shot rule with the combi-weapons.

@Prisoner37- sorry about the writing out of order, I was just trying to get the general idea across.
    SInce he did not have grendaes (or Flesh Hooks) and I was in cover My Iniative was higher than his, so I killed some of his units first. Then he hit me back. Obviously after we were locked in combat he went first the next time since he was no longer assualting through the cover.

In the instances were I was allowed to stike first I rolled first. SOrry if I didn't write it that way. This is my first Bat Rep. :/
    "For Plunder and Women!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

Well i can see why people only use hellfire rounds - Dragonfire rounds against T3 who are in cover seem to be the only thing that can compete.

I usually use combi when they drop in and then hellfire rounds in 2nd turn - by third they should be dead but they have done what i want and then the rest of my army wrap up the enemy
    so other than my first game i never fired more than once lol
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

HAHA yeah, I don't have the drop pod, so i hant tried that yet, but that seems to be the rule of thumb for the sternguard. I am really liking how i felid them thoufh, park them an a key opbjective in the middle of the field in cover and just unload on the enemy.
    "For Plunder and Women!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast