The New Grey Knights vs Witch Hunters 2K - Competitive! (with Pics) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will win between the 2 Inquisitional forces?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grey Knights have just too much firepower.

19 65.52%
  • Draw.

1 3.45%
  • There's nothing quite as tough as melta/flamer-toting invulnerable nuns.

9 31.03%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

The New Grey Knights vs Witch Hunters 2K - Competitive! (with Pics)

Today I faced a very strong Witch Hunter army - SabrX's Witch Hunters - so I decided to bring my A-game. I've played his sisters several times and they are a very good army. SabrX himself is a very capable general.

I brought my future competitive Grey Knight army - the dreaded Dread-spam knights.

My list:

Grey Knights 2K

Castellan Crowe

Venerable Dread - 2x TL-Autocannons, Psybolt Ammo

5x Purifier Squads - 2x Psycannons, 3x Halberds, Rhino
    5x Grey Knight Strike Squads - 1x Psycannon, Rhino - 150
    5x Grey Knight Strike Squads - 1x Psycannon, Rhino - 150

Dread - 2x TL-Autocannons, Psybolt Ammo

Witch Hunters 2K

I don't have SabrX's list, but this is approximately what it is. SabrX, if you read this, please PM or email me your list and I will change it here.

Canoness - Book of St. Lucius, Eviscerator, Bolt Pistol
    5x Celestian retinue - 2x Meltas, Immolator w/Extra Armor + Smokes

5x Celestians - 2x Meltas, Immolator w/Extra Armor + Smokes
    5x Celestians - 2x Meltas, Immolator w/Extra Armor + Smokes

10x Battle Sisters - Book of St. Lucius, Braziers, Heavy Flamer, Flamer, VSS, Rhino, Extra Armour (Imperial Armour Vol II)
    10x Battle Sisters - Book of St. Lucius, Braziers, Heavy Flamer, Melta, VSS, Rhino, Extra Armour (Imperial Armour Vol II)
    10x Battle Sisters - Book of St. Lucius, Braziers, Heavy Flamer, Melta, VSS, Rhino, Extra Armour (Imperial Armour Vol II)

7x Seraphims - 2x Hand Flamers, Eviserator, Book of St. Lucius
    7x Seraphims - 2x Hand Flamers, Eviserator, Book of St. Lucius

Exorcist
    Exorcist
    Exorcist

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission: Seize Ground - 4 Objectives

Deployment: Dawn of War

Initiative: Sisters win, but forces Grey Knights to go first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know what you guys think.....

Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

How many wounds do Dreadknights have?

If its aroud what I'd estimate (4) then those Exorcists will hammer them...unless you shoot them hard and first or get lucky invulns. After that though...well, you've got force weapons and the rest of your army's come clear of one of the nastiest ranged weapons in 40K (and one of the many reasons why I play Thousand Sons over Black Legion). Still, I've only heard rumours of the new GKs apart from reading a few other batreps so it should be interesting to see how the old vs new plays out (and for once you're playing the new).
    "Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their familes and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy...oh and could you post these letters while you're out?"
    -Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Karrain View Post
    How many wounds do Dreadknights have?
    4, but he's not taken dreadknights - it's S8 autocannon spam on dreadnoughts, a kind of hydra-spam and pretty well suited to exchanging fire with exorcists. The sisters list looks more generic.

edit - also, i'm going to go with the sisters on this one. The exorcists/transports are going to get wrecked/weapon destroyed by all that autocannon fire but i'm not sure they've got enough behind them to stop the actual sisters - notably the more dangerous weapons (psycannons) are a bit of a mobility trade-off. The seraphim should be interesting.
    Last edited by A.T.; March 23rd, 2011 at 11:36.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

PRE-GAME ANALYSIS:

Grey Knights:
    This is going to be a shooting gallery. I think I should be able to disable my opponent's mobility. It'll be killing his infantry which will be a problem. He doesn't fear my force weapons as almost each and every sister unit can become invulnerable with Spirit of the Martyr. Seraphim's ability to automatically hit and run will be a big nuisance....I won't be able to tie them up with my dreads when necessary. I will out-shoot the sisters but I won't out-assault them. My priority will be to take out his mobility and shoot down his transports. My dreads will almost always be in cover hiding behind my transports.

In annihilation, I think I have the advantage with my superior ranged shooting. In capture and control, Witch Hunters should have the advantage as they will be the ones advancing whereas I will be stationary for at least 1-2 turns to take advantage of my psycannon shooting. With Seize Ground, it's a toss-up. I've got more troops. However, the Sisters have more units able to contest, including 2 seraphim squads who can become invulnerable and hit and run 3D6".

In Pitched Battle and Spearhead, I should have the advantage with my ranged shooting....that is, if I go first. Otherwise, I'm dealing with tranports in cover. Dawn of War should benefit my opponent as he is using Imperial Armour II rhinos. Why? Because they have special searchlights which automatically illuminate 1 vehicle.

Witch Hunters:
    He's got to be really concerned about my ranged AT. My shooting is a nightmare for him. He needs to be able to use his smokes or he doesn't have much of a chance to survive my shooting. Going first or Dawn of War deployment will help him immensely. He needs to get close to me as quickly as possible. Battle sisters are deadliest when they're within 12" of the enemy where they can use their meltas and rending rapid-fire bolters/flamers. If I do not cripple him on turn 2, then he will get into range to do some damage, but if I do, then he may be in trouble. He may actually have the advantage in assault. His sisters may become invulnerable so my force weapons won't be of much use. On the other hand, his eviscerators spell death to my grey knights without warding staves. And I can't lock his seraphims in assault with my dreads, which means they should be able to contest my objectives unless I wipe them out completely.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deployment:

Sisters win initiative but forces me to go first. We both deploy nothing. The Grey Knight terminators are used as objectives.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

Should be interesting - The DOW really is helping him but 6 rifle dreads should win it for you
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Grey Knights 1

My forces comes in. Front rhinos pop smoke. Sentinels are heavy support dreads, while dreads are vendreads.

Witch Hunters 1

Witch Hunters come in almost directly across from me.

Rhinos illuminate 2 of my rhinos and exorcists explode one of the purifier rhinos, killing 1 grey knight in the explosion.

Grey Knights 2

Grey Knight's movement phase. Darn it! My strike squad rhino immobilises itself on terrain. Strike squad then gets out and move forwards so they can shoot.

My shooting wrecks the front immolator, shakes and weapon destroys the other front immolator, shakes 2 rhinos, immobilises the left exorcist and weapon destroys and stuns the right exorcist. He escapes a lot of damage thanks to cover and me rolling low on the vehicle damage tables even though almost all the rifleman shots (the dreadnoughts) hit.

Witch Hunters 2

Sisters advance, with the front vehicles popping smoke. As we didn't take pictures this turn, I believe he did destroy another purifier rhino but don't think he did anything beyond that (I could be wrong, though....don't quite remember).

Grey Knights 3
    I move the dreads up but the rhinos stay still so that I could fire 4 shots with each psycannon. My purifiers move up to his celestians.

In my shooting phase, I explode his canoness' immolator and the middle battle sister rhino, shake the right, weaponless immolator and wreck the left battle sister rhino. 2 celestians, a couple of battle sistsers and I believe 1 seraphim die in the explosion.

Purifier then multi-assaults his celestians and battle sisters (unfortunately for me, only 1 knight makes it into combat with his battle sisters). He calls on Spirit of the Martyr to make his celestians invulnerable. I then cast Cleansing Flame, but both celestians and battle sisters block it with their Shield of Faith.

I kill maybe a couple of celestians, but due to a very stubborn army, we stay locked in combat.

Witch Hunters 3

Sisters movement. He throws almost everything at my purifiers....including the kitchen sink. Some of them become invulnerable. Right battle sisters and celestians disembark to try to take out my dreads.

Left battle sisters go after my empty rhino.

Sister shooting blows off one of the autocannons on my right vendread (looking at it from my perspective) and explodes my middle heavy dread. Left battle sisters blow up my left empty rhino.

This is the second time against SabrX where my guys get gang-raped by a bunch of girls. Now some may say that you can use Cleansing Flame each and every assault phase, but I felt somewhat dubious about that. If there is controversy regarding a rule, then I tend to go with what I felt was the intent of the designers or the stricter intepretation. Thus, I did not cast Cleansing Flamer on the near-30 models locked in combat with me. I did, however, forget to cast Hammerhand.

As a result, my purifiers are still hurting til this day.

To be concluded......
    Last edited by jy2; March 24th, 2011 at 00:20.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

Sisters will do that. I think the biggest problem you're having so far is the source of power. See, as pure as the Grey Knights are, their power still comes from the warp, whereas the sisters get their power straight from the Emperor. In short...

I find your lack of faith disturbing :3

Sorry, couldn't resist xD

I can't wait to see the rest =D
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ikbuh View Post
    I find your lack of faith disturbing :3
    Speaking of which - with two squads of seraphim they must be running a little low of faith by now.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

I would guess he's down to 5 out of 10 faith. Invul on the Celestians, then int he assult, invul on the seras and the Celestians, and DG on the seras. Plus one for a dead squad of battle Sisters. That's what I would've done at least. Next turn, he can probably forgo using as many invul save in favor of either A, forcing him to attack a tough unit, or B, something else and giving back faith. I see a single termie there, so were I him, I'd invul the cannoness and nothing else and let the combat play out without DG, hoping for a nice kill with the Evisc and then HnR with the Seras if he lives (duh).
    Last edited by ikbuh; March 24th, 2011 at 15:16.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ikbuh View Post
    I would guess he's down to 5 out of 10 faith.
    Yes, re-reading it I realised that his seraphim haven't particularly engaged yet, and the short range of psycannons alongside the AP4 of autocannon mean that they won't be burning faith on inv saves on the way in just yet.
    I was never personally comfortable running more than one squad of them, but then I did tend to run them with relatively limited faith lists. Might start using a squad of them and an inquisitor lord in my higher point mech lists.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast