The New Grey Knights (with Inquisitorial Henchmen) vs Eldrad's Mechdar 2K (with Pics) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Can the Grey Knights ground the flying Eldars?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Grey Knights have the firepower to get the job done.

18 64.29%
  • Draw.

2 7.14%
  • No, mechdar resiliency combined with lots of GK Kill Points = victory for space elves!

8 28.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

The New Grey Knights (with Inquisitorial Henchmen) vs Eldrad's Mechdar 2K (with Pics)

I had a rematch today against SabrX's again. This time, he surprised me by bringing his Mechdar army instead.

I wanted to try out Inquisitorial henchmen so I took Coteaz as one of my HQ's. I had also wanted to try out the Dread Knight, but the LGS didn't let me borrow it as they wanted it for display instead. So instead, I took another dreadnought.

My list:

Grey Knights 2K

Coteaz
    Librarian - Shrouding, Warp Rift

Venerable Dread - 2x TL-Autocannons, Psybolt Ammo

4x Acolyte Warriors - 3x Meltas, Chimera
    4x Acolyte Warriors - 3x Meltas, Chimera
    4x Acolyte Warriors - 3x Plasmas, Chimera
    3x Acolyte Warriors - 3x Plasmas, Chimera (Coteaz here)
    5x Grey Knight Strike Squad - 1x Psycannon, Rhino - 150
    5x Grey Knight Strike Squad - 1x Psycannon, Rhino - 150

Dread - 2x TL-Autocannons, Psybolt Ammo
    5x Purgation Squad - 4x Incinerators, Razorback w/Psybolt TL-Heavy Bolters
    5x Purgation Squad - 4x Incinerators, Razorback w/Psybolt TL-Heavy Bolters

Eldar 2K

Eldrad

5x Fire Dragons, Wave Serpent w/TL-Shuriken Cannons & Spirit Stones

10x Dire Avengers - Exarch, Dual Shuriken Catapults, Wave Serpent w/TL-Bright Lance & Spirit Stones
    10x Dire Avengers - Exarch, Dual Shuriken Catapults, Wave Serpent w/TL-Bright Lance & Spirit Stones
    10x Dire Avengers - Wave Serpent w/TL-Bright Lance & Spirit Stones (Eldrad here)

Fire Prism
    Fire Prism
    Fire Prism

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not the opponent that I expected, but I think my army has the tools to deal with it.....until we rolled for mission and got Annihilation. So it's my 22KP knights against his 16KP skimmers. Hmmmm......interesting. Let me know what you guys think while I work on the batrep.

Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission: Annihilation

Deployment: Dawn of War

Initiative: Eldar

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRE-GAME ANALYSIS:

Grey Knights:
    I have less shooting than in my 6-dread GK list, but I've got more durability due to the chimeras. Purgations are a new unit that I am trying out. They could do a lot of damage if they can get in range to incinerate some space elves, but basically they are like the fire dragons - one and done (basically I would get perhaps one turn of shooting with them and then they will most likely die). The henchmen with Coteaz is to give me cheap scoring bodies with special weapons in chimeras. Unfortunately, they also give easy kill points.

I actually have a lot of resiliency, with chimeras in front as the first line of defense. Behind them will either be the dreads or rhinos for cover and behind that will be either the rhinos or dreads. Librarian will have to start by himself but will try to remain central to the castle, casting Shrouding to give 3+ cover to all units in cover (or popping smoke). I will most likely be advancing 6" per turn so that I can shoot, at least until my psycannons get within range to target his skimmers.

Shooting-wise, it'll probably be close. My multi-lasers and psybolt heavy bolters won't do much, needing 6's to glance and my plasmas and psycannons will be out of range for probably at least 2 turns. My meltas won't get the extra +D6 penetration against his wave serpents. My only reliable source of ranged AT will be my dreads....but they sure are reliable indeed. It may come down to whether I can get Shrouding off or not.

Target priority will be a major issue for Eldar. Will he take out my main threats, the dreads who are heavily defended (with cover and venerableness) or should he go for the easy kill points like side shots to the chimeras and infantry from the transports (and also my librarian who will be by himself initially). I think who he targets will determine the outcome of the game.

Runes of Warding will really hamper my use of psychic powers. Based on my knights LD 9, I've got less than 50% chance of getting my psychic powers off and about a 50% of killing my justicar with the use of any power (after which, my LD drops to 8 and my chance of success drops to less than 40% to get a psychic power off).

Eldar:
    He's got 3 twin-linked bright lances, 3 units of sacrificial fire dragons, 3 fire prisms and 3 twin-linked shuriken cannons (that could do damage against my chimeras' side armour). He outranges me, but I've got more shots (16 TL S8 shots) at range than him (though I can only target 4 opponents while he can target 9). Shooting will be close. The question will be who has the more resilient transports....his fortuned wave serpents or my chimeras/rhinos in cover? This is going to be a shoot-out.

I've got some psychic defense. If he tries to doom my guys, he should be doing it at -4 LD if my guys are anywhere within 12" of my dreads (Reinforced Aegis). I've also got my librarian's psychic hood, though I doubt he will be in range to stop the eldar psychic powers. I really need a land raider for my librarian....but I just couldn't fit one in this list without sacrificing a lot. It may be for the better anyways as he has bright lances.

Overall, IMO I may have fire superiority just slightly, but he has slightly better resiliency with his wave serpents and fortune.

First turn may make a difference, but it won't be too much due to Dawn of War deployment. That means he can move flat-out when coming in for the cover and I can also castle and pop smoke for the cover.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

Annihilation, the bane of small unit tactics.

He'll probably have you go first, and flat out onto the board negating one turn of your shooting and granting his entire army cover for another turn effectively reducing your ability to take out those transports. Fortitude will not be nearly as effective in keeping those dreads firing and may really hinder them. The small squads in the chimeras are easy KPs. You may get as few as three effective turns of shooting.
    If he can silence those Dreads, he'll demech you in a hurry and you'll never catch him.

I have to say I think the eldar will take this one.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deployment:

Neither of us deploy anything. Everything will roll in on turn 1 (no reserves for either sides). I fail to seize the initiative, even with the re-roll from Coteaz's Spy Network. That's fine, I didn't want 1st turn anyways. Just wanted to see how useful his ability was.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eldar 1

Every one comes in, moving flat-out for the cover.

Grey Knights 1

All my units come in as well. The middle chimeras are more forward because they were sliding down the hill. I run my dreads and librarian. The sentinel is a proxy for my regular dreadnought. There is no shooting this turn for me.

I did not know it at the time, but the librarian could actually ride in the chimera. Anyways, Librarius Augustus suffers 1 Wound while trying unsuccessfully to get Shrouding off over Eldrad's Runes of Warding.

Eldar 2

Eldar movement. The black wave serpent on my right (with fire dragons) move flat-out to provide cover for another unit of fire dragons. Eldrad gets off 2 Fortunes and a Guide on a nearby fire prism (he is in the wave serpent with the white wings). For the rest of the game, Eldrad successfully gets off Fortune and Guide every time he casts them.

In shooting, 2 serpents get off side shots on my chimeras, wrecking one and blowing up the other. Coteaz takes 1W from the explosion and his unit gets pinned. Eldars also fire 2 fire prisms at my chimera, making sure to clip my librarian. Despite going to ground for the 3+ cover, Librarius Augustus ceases to be no more. If only he hadn't missed the class on transports and their passengers while at Librarium School.....

Eldar: 3, Grey Knights: 0

Grey Knights 2

Payback time! Grey Knights move. Chimeras pop smoke.

Despite cover on both serpents, my dreads blow up 1 and stun (reduced to shaken due to Spirit Stones) the other. 1-2 fire dragons die in the explosion and they get pinned. Shooting by my other units (psycannons and heavy psybolters) kill off all but 1 dragon.

Eldar: 3, Grey Knights: 1

Other (dread) shooting takes off the shuriken cannons and stuns (reduced to shaken) the left fire dragon serpent despite cover.

Eldar 3

Eldar decides to play conservatively and flat-outs their fire dragon serpents back behind cover.

Excellent marksmanship by eldar gunmen takes out my venerable dread Achilles behind cover. Don't fret for him though....heel be back next game. Fortunately for me, that is all the damage his shooting is able to muster as I make cover on almost everything else.

Eldar: 4, Grey Knights: 1

Grey Knights 3

Grey Knight movement.

I concentrate my dreads on this right skimmers in cover. I blow up the dire avenger wave serpent, killing 3 avengers in the process. I also take out the prism cannon from his fire prism as well as shake it. Finally, I kill off his pinned fire dragon.

Eldar: 4, Grey Knights: 3

Eldar 4

Eldar moves the damaged fire prism flat-out. He then hides his fire dragon serpent behind it. Dire avengers march forwards.

Avengers blade storm my melta-henchmen in cover. I go to ground and only lose 2 thanks to good rolling. However, I fail morale and they fall back.

His other shooting fails to do much damage, only managing to stun my left strike squad rhino and right chimera.

Eldar: 4, Grey Knights: 3

Grey Knights 4

Melta-henchmen regroups. My purgation razorback zooms 12" towards his dire avengers, popping smoke in the process. The rest of my army moves at combat speed. My stunned rhino tries to use Fortitude to remove its stunned status....but instead, I suffer Perils and re-stun myself.

It is here where my camera dies and there will be no more pictures. It is also here where I forgot to bring my notes, so for now,

To be concluded......

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x3)

Interesting plays by your Eldar opponent. I can't seem to figure out why he is playing so conservatively with those fire dragons. I would have expected a forturne/ turboboost right into the face of your vendreads/dread trying to give cover to the rest of his army and setting the dreads up for meltadeath. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

He would've gladly sacrificed his fire dragons for my dreads....if only I hadn't protected them the way I did. I had them screened out by my vehicles. Thus, they would most likely be getting cover and there's no guarantee he could've got within melta double-tap range of them. Basically, in order to get into good firing position of my dreads, he would most likely have to move flat-out twice, disembarking on the 3rd turn. Then he would've had to endure 2 full turns of 4 dreads firing at them, because they were my target priority #1. If he were to disembark early (i.e. after only 2 turns), then he would've been shooting at vendreads in cover out of double-melta range. His chances to kill me were low and he would be most likely lose his fire dragons next turn.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x3)

Ah, now I see. Good play. I stand by my first post and say he should have given you first turn to greatly reduce your ability shoot him down with those dreads, only 3-5 turns potential shooting versus 4-6 turns. Then he would have been able to flat out onto the board further and in position to cause you more grief since he would have seen your deployment. Either way, those Psyrifledreads are absolutely nasty and a hard counter to any AV12 mechanized army.

Well played by both so far, I look forward to hearing how it goes. I play Mechdar as well.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Grey Knights 4

Melta-henchmen regroups. My purgation razorback zooms 12" towards his dire avengers, popping smoke in the process. The rest of my army moves at combat speed. My stunned rhino tries to use Fortitude to remove its stunned status....but instead, I suffer Perils and re-stun myself.

Sorry, here my camera dies and there will be no more pictures.

My dreads shoot and explode his right fire dragon serpent (behind his damaged prism). The explosion kills 1 fire dragon and 2 dire avengers. I also shake his left dire avenger serpent.

Eldar: 4, Grey Knights: 4

Eldar 5
    At this point, SabrX thinks that he may be behind and decides to go aggressive. His turretless prism flat-outs 21" to ram my regular dread. He hits me at S10 but doesn't do anything. The repercussion at S9 destroys his prism's shuriken catapults. On the left side of the board, his fire dragons and dire avengers (from the shaken serpent) disembark and go after my chimera.

On the right, his fire dragons blow up my purgation razorback. However, on the left, he just cannot hurt my chimera even behind the concentrated firepower of his fire dragons and the rest of his army (at least those that could shoot).

Eldar: 5, Grey Knights: 4

Grey Knights 5
    This is my round. He's got a lot of kill points just begging for me to take out.

My right purgation unit goes after his fire dragons. My left purgation unit disembarks and go after his dire avengers (the razorback then pops smoke). My right chimera immobilises itself on terrain, so its plasma passengers disembark to go after the weaponless fire prism (which rammed my dread last turn). My regrouped unit of 2 meltagunners also go after the same prism. Everything else advances.

In shooting, my right purgation squad wipes out his fire dragons with their incinerators. My melta henchmen wrecks his fire prism. My dreads fire at his left dire avenger serpent and blow it up, killing the justicar from my purgation squad in the process but none of his 10 dire avengers. My left purgation then incinerates his dire avengers, causing 24 wounds and killing all but the dire avenger exarch thanks to Fortune from last turn. The exarch then dies to stormbolter fire. My strike squad wrecks the left fire dragon serpent with their psycannon. Finally, my melta-henchmen (from the left chimera) shoot down 2 fire dragons.

Devastating round of shooting from the Grey Knights.

Eldar: 5, Grey Knights: 9

Here we make a mistake. We thought it was only turn 4 and so just played on.

Eldar 6
    Eldrad and his dire avengers disembark to go after my purgation unit. He dooms them and fortunes his own unit. Now this part is a little unclear as I didn't jot it down on my notes. I believe his doom failed because he was casting it at LD 6 due to Reinforced Aegis from a nearby vendread. I think it was Fortune and Guide that went off...but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyways, despite the re-rolls (I wasn't sure if it was on the to hit roll or the wound roll), they only kill 1 purgation knight. His dire avengers on the right move up some ruins and bladestorm my right purgation unit, killing 2 and making them fall back 4". His last fire dragon unit shoots at my melta-henchmen in cover, killing 2. He would then assault them and sweep them in CC.

Lastly, Eldrad and friends assault and wipe out my left purgation squad.

Eldar: 7, Grey Knights: 9

Grey Knights 6
    My right 2-man purgation unit auto-regroups and moves towards his dire avengers but are out of range to shoot. The rest of my army shifts around to get better shooting angles at Eldrad's unit. Both grey knight strike squads disembark and get ready to give Eldrad some stormbolter love.

I believe I wreck one of his prisms this turn. Coteaz's plasma-henchmen fire at his fire dragons and whiff, with the couple of successful wounds negated by cover. Then I throw everything at Eldrad's unit - stormbolters, psycannons, heavy bolters, multi-lasers and maybe 1 dread. Eldrad makes a ton of saves, and they escape my wrath, losing only 7 dire avengers (they were out in the open without cover against a lot of AP4 shots).

Eldar: 7, Grey Knights: 10

Thinking it was only turn 5, we roll to see if the game continues. I believe we rolled a '5' or '6'.

Eldar 7
    There is not much left for eldar to do. His last fire prism shoots at my 3-man plasma-henchmen unit but the shot scatters and only kill 1. Eldrad shoots and then assaults my razorback, wrecking it. His fire dragons also shoot and then assault my chimera with meltabombs, exploding it and killing 1 of the fire dragons.

Eldar: 9, Grey Knights: 10

Grey Knights 7
    Between my right purgation incinerators and fire from my immobilised chimera, I wipe out his right dire avengers. My dread grounds and blows off the main gun of his last fire prism. I then throw everything, including the kitchen sink, at eldrad and his 3 dire avengers but fail to pierce Eldrad's armor, only killing 2 avengers. Lastly, Coteaz's plasma-henchmen wipe out his fire dragons.

I then assault Eldrad's unit with 1 strike squad (the other one didn't make it into combat). I fail to kill his dire avenger (only 1 knight was able to strike at him) and the rest of my force weapons bounce off Eldrad's fortuned 3++ armor. In return, he kills 1 knight but I pass morale.

Eldar: 9, Grey Knights: 12

Victory to the Grey Knights!!!

Post-game Anaylsis:
    I was somewhat concerned when we got annihilation for our mission. Usually when I play against SabrX in annihilation, he almost always have a lot more kill points against me and struggles against my shooty armies. Now, the shoe is on the other foot. This is probably the first game where I have a lot more KP's than him in annihilation. But it doesn't matter. I would rather play against mechdar in annihilation than in objectives-based missions any day of the week.

I've played missile-spam space wolves, with 3 squads of long fangs and land speeder typhoons. I've also played 9 hive guard tyranid armies. IMO, grey knight psyfleman dreads (especially the vendreads) are more efficient than any of them. My vendreads only missed 1 time throughout the entire game. My heavy dread missed only 2 or 3 times throughout. They are just very, very good shooters. While Fortitude didn't come into play this game (my dreads were never shaken nor stunned), it only makes them that much more efficient as shooters. After only 2 trial games with them, I can say without reservation that they will help change the current meta somewhat. The advent of the S8 shooters - long fangs, hive guards and now GK dreads - will possibly shift the game of 40k to a more foot-base game. You may also see a shift from MSU-mech armies to armies with more heavy armor (i.e. land raiders, leman russes, etc.). Don't get me wrong. I still think mech is king in 5th edition, but now you will probably see more infantry-based armies than before. This may unintentionally be a good thing....

Now I am no expert in Eldar tactics, but I felt that they might have done better against my knights had they gone second, even in an annihilation game. Sure, they would have had to endure my 2nd turn beta strike, but with fortune on the right transports and moving flat-out for cover, I think they may have the durability to survive with minimal damage. Let me move in and react to my movement. Then do a refused flank maneuver on my army and concentrate on 1 flank with his entire army. Be aggressive with his fire dragons, and if they are not able to go after my dreads, then take out my screening wall of AV12 armor. The risk is great, but the rewards would have been great as well. IMO it is not a good idea for mechdar to just trade shots with a MSU-army. They just don't have the volume of fire to win that battle, and my psyfleman dreads and S7 psycannons could care less about the wave serpent energy fields.

Well, enough of my rantings. Now onto the units themselves.....

Coteaz: B. Didn't do much this game, but just letting me take inquisitorial henchmen as troops warrant a 'B' at the very least.

Librarian: C. While he is not a bad unit, he didn't do anything this game thanks to Runes of Warding and my mistake in his deployment. A 'C' is what I give to units that just don't have enough info on them to do a proper evaulation - usually, this applies to units that are taken out of commission too early before they had a chance to do anything.

Venerable Dreadnought: A. These guys are ridiculously good at what they are supposed to do, and that is to take down enemy vehicles. My vendreads only missed 1 shot all game! You're talking about 12 S8 shots a turn all hitting. Given cover behind my chimeras and I can't blame SabrX for deciding to focus on easier KP's instead. While he did get 1 excellent shot, wrecking my vendread, they are just a very, very efficient and durable unit. Of course, mechdar could have taken venerable fire prisms as well.

Warrior Acolytes: B+. These guys are a bargain. Even though they are easy kill points, they present an interesting dilemma for the opponent. Should they concentrate on the more deadly dreadnoughts and purgation units, or should they go for the easy KP's (and while they're at it, eat some psychic lead)? I just love units that screw with enemy target priorities. The fact they they are also scoring units and carry the only meltas in the game makes them a very tempting unit to take in a Grey Knight army. Add to the fact that they got 2 KP's this game (fire prism and fire dragons) while giving up only 1 (melta-henchmen) and I must say they did well this game.

Strike Squad: B-. These guys are necessary in my Grey Knight army just because of their anti-deepstriking defense (keep in mind I build my lists to be all-comer's armies). They did take down 1 eldar skimmer with their psycannons, but other than that, didn't do anything spectacular this game.

Dreadnought: B+. His shooting was solid. Not quite as accurate as the vendreads, but he only missed 2-3 shots the whole game. Add to the fact that he drew a lot of fire from the eldar army (including a S10 ram!), thus ensuring the safety of my other units, and I would say he did good this game.

Purgation Squad: A-. They did great this game. They burned away 1 unit of fire dragons and 2 units of dire avengers....and 1 squad lived to tell that tale! For a 100pt sacrificial unit, you can't ask for much more.

Chimera: B-. Though I lost 2 chimeras on turn 2, they worked as they should, which is to screen out my other units. They did kill a couple of infantry here and there.

Razorback: B-. Protected my purgation unit and killed the occasional wandering infantry. Heavy bolters, even upgraded S6 ones, won't do much against eldar skimmers.

Rhino: C+. It's a rhino. It protected my knights. What more can we expect from this humble vehicle.

MVP's:
    Grey Knights:
    Venerable Dreadnought: For 2 games now, another easy decision. Basically, the vendreads accounted for most of the vehicle kills (and KP's).

Eldar:
    Eldrad: While it was kill-my-units by committee, I'd have to give it to Eldrad. His powers were a nuisance. His Runes of Warding affected directly how I played. He got 2KP's by himself, killing 1 unit of purgation knights as well as a razorback, and he just refused to die, surviving huge amounts of fire.
    Last edited by jy2; March 29th, 2011 at 03:59.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x3)

Good Batrep. The Psyrifledreads, good deployment and play on your part won this game.

Psyrifledreads are a hard counter against AV12 spam irregardless of the flavor.

I would have loved to throw my Mechdar against that GK list. I run Eldrad in a Holofield falcon with pulsars, BL, SC, the avatar, 2x bladestorm DAs in SL SC serpents, 2x 5 man DA in EML SC serpents, a 5 man FD in SC SC serpent, and two holofield prisms.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

good report . Unfortunetely his tactics were not dedicated to break your plan and his deployment was bad. And with GK resilience in anihilation, your list is clearly superior to any competitive list eldar can muster at this time. But as i see it in this game you wree the better general and he had no chance from the deployment starting.
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast