Ahriman vs Predators: Whoever wins the grass looses - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will win, souless alien bugs or souless suits of armour

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Tyranids will chomp their way to victory with ease.

7 46.67%
  • The grass will survive another day, we draw.

3 20.00%
  • Ahriman will overcome the Shadow in the Warp and emerge triumphant

5 33.33%
+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Ahriman vs Predators: Whoever wins the grass looses

Okay guys, back with another report with my Thousand Sons, this one againt Tyranids...enjoy.

My forces:

Ahriman.

Chaos Vindicator with a dirge caster, possession and a twin-linked bolter.

5 Summoned Daemons of Tzeentch.

8 Thousand Sons and an Aspiring Sorcerer with Bolt of Change and personal icon.

8 Thousand Sons and an Aspiring Sorcerer with doombolt (Ahriman's guard).

His forces:

Tyranid Prime with devourer and talons

2 Zoanthropes

1 Trygon Prime

20 Genestealers with talons (ouch!!)

29 Termagants with Fleshborers

4 Warriors, devourers, talons 1 strangler

Mission: Capture and Control
    Deployment: Pitched Battle

Terrain: Each table quater had a piece of terrain with a little in the centre. On the bottom left there was a siezable chunk of wreckage, on the top left there was a cities of death building and another on the bottom right, on the top right there were some ruins.

Initiative: Thousand Sons.

I deployed my squads around the wreckage, placing my objective there as well so that any unit attempting to take it would have to assault through cover first. My Vindicator Was deployed as far forwards as possible to ensure that it could begin frying gants (and grass) from turn 1.

He deployed his warriors and Prime in the building. Whilst his gants took the open ground to the right, his Zoanthropes were on the left, hoping to eliminate my Vindicator early on, whilst his Genestealers infiltrated into the second building on my side and his Trygon Prime deep struck. He then rolls a 1 to steal initiative.

Will post the rest tomorrow, for now, your opinions?

Last edited by Karrain; March 30th, 2011 at 07:54.
    "Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their familes and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy...oh and could you post these letters while you're out?"
    -Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

i`m too tired to calculate..how many points?
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Sorry, completley slipped my mind. 1k points.
    "Take their gold, burn their homes, kill their familes and enslave their souls. Show them no mercy...oh and could you post these letters while you're out?"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Nid list is pretty damn poor, Thousand sons should win this without even breaking a sweat
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Karrain, I love ur army but those 20 genes and that prime might pose a big problem for ya that's y I voted for the nids. Although I think you'll put up quite a nice fight especially if ur vindicator kills some bugs instead of what seems to be its preferred target...grass. . Best of luck. Looking forward to the BR.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Thousand Sons Turn 1.

Ahriman started the game with a warptime, even as the Vindicator rolled forwards, wary of the Zoanthropes hovering on the periferals of the board. Both squads moved to confront the termagants, knowing that the genestealers were too far away to pose any imminent threat. Shooting saw ten termagants fall as the demolisher cannon tested the limits of its range and my inferno bolts zinged off the creatures. My second sorcerer and Ahriman also loosed Bolts of Change, adding to a paltry effort. With a rather lackluster opening behind me, I ended my turn.

Tyranids turn 1.

The gants and genestealers surged forwards, eschewing the use of what ranged weapons they had to move closer to my objective and the Sons. Floating serenly over the grass, both of his zoanthropes focused, before unleashing enough psychic energy to rip apart a monolith and reduced my vindicator to slag. Finally, the warriors' barbed strangler felled a son from the support squad before his turn ended.

Thousand Sons turn 2.

Seeing what had happened to the Vindicator, my Summoned Daemons decided that the warp was preferable to the material plane and languished in limbo whilst Ahriman cast warptime and my army repositioned, the Support Squad moving to confront the termagants whilst Ahriman turned to face the genestealers. Shooting was considerably better, with seven gants falling to my bolters and five genestealers to Ahriman's powers and his squads' shots. Unfortunatley, my hopes were dimmed as they laughed off the subsequent leadership test, looking hungrily at my men. Seeing that things weren't going my way I charged the gants with the second squad, reducing their numbers by five with my attacks even as they took down a son. Failing three no retreat saves the combat ended with four gants facing seven Sons.

Tyranids turn 2.

Proving to be more reliable than my Daemons, the Trygon Prime emerged behind the battling gants and Sons, extending a Shadow in the Warp across all of my forces (oh dear...). His genestealers rushed forwards, even as both Zoanthropes advanced, launching warp blasts at my unengaged squad, followed by a jolt fron the Prime's containment spines and a projectile from the Barbed Strangler in the Warrior squad. In the end five Sons fell before the wave of Genestealers struck, my opponent laughing gleefuly as he directed 21 attacks at Ahriman....and caused a grand total of 1 unsaved wound. Two more Sons were felled by the Tyranids before I struck back, ripping apart five of the beasts with my Force Weapons, any hopes I had of a Sweeping Advance were lost as his Genestealers proved to be within Synapse and suffered 2 wounds from No Retreat!
    Further up the field, the gant squad somehow survived my assault with a single model remaining...things weren't going so well after all.

Thousand Sons turn 3.

Finally goaded into realspace by Ahriman, my Daemons materialised behind the Genestealers and promptly charged them, restoring my hope in the combat. Unsurprisingly the final gant met its end at the point of my Sorcerer's Force Sword, whilst the Genestealers managed to fell another Son and a Daemon. In return they continued to suffer wounds from No Retreat! And an irate Exile, seeing their numbers reduced to 6. At the end of my turn I looked across the board to the green highlights on my Aspiring Sorcerer's Force weapon, hoping against hope that it would find its mark on the Trygon next turn.

Tyranids turn 3.

As it happend my lone Sorcerer didn't get his chance at glory as 2 Warp Lances, a set of Containment Spines, 3 Devourers and a Barbed Strangler annihilated his squad and self, leaving the Trygon looking rather dejectedly at the smoking crater where they had lain, deprived of its fun for now. Meanwhile I lost my last Son and two Daemons to the Genestealers, even as I finished the Xenos off, turning to confront the serpentine monster before me and avenge the loss of my Support Squad.

Thousand Sons turn 4.

Warptime was cast sucessfuly, despite the baleful influence of the Prime and I rushed at the creature, my sorcerer's Doombolt ricocheting off its hide to burn some grass in my fallen brothers' (and Vindicator's) names. Assault proved spectacular, if slightly dissapointing. Ahriman failed his psychic tests for the Black Staff, whilst the Trygon munched up my Daemons. My sorcerer, however, earnt his 70pts back, slaying the creature with a flourish of his blade...and leaving my two psykers standing against his Warriors and Zoanthropes...all of which exuded a Shadow...oh goody.

Tyranids turn 4.

Seeing an increasingly irate Ahriman, both Zoanthropes edged back, firing warp lances at my psykers and felling the Aspiring Sorcerer. The barbed strangler missed and Ahriman passed 4 saves against the devourers that wounded, still standing tall on 2 wounds. Well, 1 man against 6 alein monstrosities and a battlefield of grass...

Thousand Sons turn 5.

Seeing that he needed reinforcements, Ahriman called in an old friend, smiling as one of the Tyranid warriors collapsed, only to rise again as the Spawnatrix (see my Conflict reports for the reference). Next, the Exile cast Warptime and strode off to confront the Zoanthropes that had slain An'kuar (my newly named Aspiring Sorcerer). Both Ahriman and the Spawnatrix charged, the former ripping the Zoanthropes apart but getting reduced to one wound for his troubles, whilst Spawnatrix slew a warrior and took 2 wounds. This was going to be tight...

Tyranids turn 5.

With no shooting, the Prime and his cohort ripped into poor Spawnatrix, felling the valiant Chaos Spawn before turning to see Ahriman running at them, a spell on his lips.

Thousand Sons turn 6 (yeah, we forgot what turn it was).

First casting warptime then charging forwards and narrowly passing the test for Bolt of Change, Ahriman felled another warrior despite their cover before assaulting the Prime. Not wanting to risk another psychic test at this stage, the best I could do was reduce the Tyranid to 1 wound, even as I passed another 4 saves from his scything talons...(Tzeentch likes me again!). He suffered no wounds fron No Retreat! As we both looked on, having forgotten our objectives and were not bent on the utter destruction of our foes, the game hung by 1 wound.

Tyranids Turn 6.

Warptime was sucessful, however, even as Ahriman ripped the Prime asunder, he was caught a blow from its scything talons, losing his last wound...

RESULT:

The Grass wins! Or a Draw, same difference.

Postgame:

After having read all of those 44% chances of Grey Knight Justiciars exploding when in proximity of Zoanthropes in the new Nids vs Grey Knight threat I was a little apprehensive about exercising all 3 of Ahriman's available powers in 1 turn. However, had I made 1 more Force Weapon test in both of the combats he fought solo then I would have won (just). Then again, had I attempted that test and failed...well, we wouldn't have had the epic duel at the end.
    Also, I hope this has proved that large gribbly hordes of Genestealers or massive entities such as the Trygon Prime are not Tyranids' strength (no, that would be tervigons). Last game I played against him, Ahriman killed it after it charged with his Black Staff before it could do anything to his squad.

Ahriman: A+: Wow, just...wow. He passed Tzeentch knows how many saves and was the last man standing and still managed to pull a draw. No more needs to be said.

Thousand Sons: B: Well, I would give them a C, but my primary squad did manage to survive a Genestealer Wave of Death for a few turns.

Aspiring Sorcerers: B+: These guys have earnt themselves a seperate category after outdooing Ahriman in taking down the Prime.

Daemons: B: They turned the game around for me, 1 turn later and I would be buried under 6 feet of angry genestealers.

Vindicator: D: Ugh...you didn't even survive past turn 1! And had no humerous destruction of grass either...well, I suppose the fact that you were hit by 2 Zoanthropes does excuse your poor performance somewhat...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

You make me want to pull out my 1k Sons again (my 2nd love). I also see this draw as a win for you as I do not see it as easy at all.

I thought you might have used the Spawnatrix more with the lower toughness creatures but I was glad you got a Warrior instead.

You sure did manage alot of invul saves as well as shadow of the warp tests - Bravo!!!
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by KwiKwag View Post

You sure did manage alot of invul saves as well as shadow of the warp tests - Bravo!!!
    Partly the reason I believe the draw was a lucky one. Despite a comment to the contrary (above) - I had it down that the tyranids would win this (even if only by a narrow margin).

+ Reply to Thread