1750 Sibling Rivalry: Vulkan vs. Khan - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vulkan and friends

4 66.67%
  • Khan and friends

2 33.33%
  • Draw!!!

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

1750 Sibling Rivalry: Vulkan vs. Khan

About time I got around to post a battle report. So without further adieu here's a battle I played against my brother (Doom 146). He used a Kossarro Khan army and I used my Vulkan army. Alright so here we go with my best jy2 battle report impersonation :p

Game Type: Sieze Ground, Dawn of War

My Army: Warp Masters 1st Company

Vulkan He'Stan
    Captain (thunder hammer, combi-flamer)
    Command Squad (4x flamers, 2x storm shields, razorback, dozer blade)

Sternguard x5 (Heavy flamer x2, razorback, dozer blade)
    Sternguard x6

Tactical Squad (Powerfist, combi-melta, meltagun, multi-melta, rhino)
    Tactical Squad (Powerfist, combi-melta, meltagun, multi-melta, rhino)
    Scout Squad (Powerfist, combi-flamer, 3x shotgun, 1x ccw, 4x snipers and missile launcher)

1x Landspeeder (heavy flamer, multi melta)
    1x Landspeeder (heavy flamer, multi melta)
    1x Land speeder storm (multi melta)

Brothers list: Warp Master's 2nd Company

Kosarro Khan

Dreadnought (assault cannon, ML)
    Terminators x5 (cyclone missile launcher)
    Sternguard x5 (2x melta, 3x combi-melta)

Tactical Squad (powerfist, combi-melta, melta, lascannon, Rhino)
    Tactical Squad (powerfist, combi-plasma, plasma gun, Missile launcher, Rhino)
    Tactical Squad (power weapon, combi-flamer, flamer, Missile launcher, Rhino)

Vindicator (siege shield)
    Predator (heavy bolter sponsons)

Pregame analysis to come,

Last edited by Reeses; May 9th, 2011 at 20:23.
    Reese's Space Marine and Tyranid WIP Thread: Warp Masters and Friends

2. LikeDoom146 liked this post.
  3. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pre Game Analysis

I have played my brother's vulcan army many times before with varying amounts of success, using previous lists that had deathstar units, ie LRR with assault termies with Khan. This list, is one my brother and i came up with so feel free to suggest any tweaks to my army list. Generalizing my brother plays a vulcan list with meltas and flamers in every squad. The only weakness in his army i have seen is he has very limited long range capabilities, except for his landspeeders. So i need to do three things if i have any hope of surviving let alone winning.

1. Kill the MM speeders, these things are so annoying they re-roll there multi melta attacks and just blow up all my tanks and transports i need to take them out as soon as possible to prevent from losing my main fire base early on.
    2. Destroy his transports, my brother's army can only flame and MM me at close range so i need his army to take as long as possible getting to my line so i can soften them up before they get there, this will mostly be done by the dread, the terminators,the lascannon combat squad and the drop pod melt sternguard who are going to be used as a distraction to buy me time.
    3. No Pincer movement in previous games what would usually happen against Rhys146 is he would surround my army and utterly destroy me because of my bad placement. Because of this i will be using split deployment and having my vindicator come in from reserves.

Other strategies: It i my first time using Khan on Bike and i have high hopes for him, im hoping with his added toughness from his bike and maneuverability he will be able to hunt down Rhys146's Sternguard that donot have PWs in them and utterly annihilate them. He will also be used to contest objectives.
    Last edited by Doom146; May 9th, 2011 at 19:06.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

Pregame Analysis:

Sieze ground has to be the most brutal gametype in the warhammer arsenal as all troops are focused on either capturing your opponent's objective or protecting your own objective. I know my brother's list very well as I helped create it and his terrible luck (which you will all witness) so I'm hoping for a win but not hard enough to discourage him from playing me again.

Alright, my brother's list pack quite alot of dakka and has some assault capabilities while my list completely specializes in a short range firefight. To win I have to do two things. First I have to keep my transports alive. Hopefully by harrassing and disrupting my brother's gunliine with landspeeders, outflanking scouts and their land speeder storm and popping smoke, a good portion of my assault force will make it to his objective intact.

The second challenge I face is dealing with my brother's own suicide units. Luckily I didn't bring my Land Raider so his sternguard will not be that effective but I'm really worried about Kosarro Khan. With fleet Khan has an assault radius of up to 24' this kind of mobility could put a damper on my plans as he can whizz around to field bolstering my brother's battlelines.

All in all, if I close the gap quickly and turn this game into a short range firefight, I should win no problem

Deployment

The Red Space Marine is my brother's objective and the Imperial Guard sergeant is mine. I won the roll off, so I will be going first, which is good for me and bad for my bro.

Scouts camping in a Lego fortress, keeping all the haters off my objective, good job scouts. Were going sparse on the terrain but heavy on the pics!

Bottom of 1st turn

All our forces are pretty much on the left half of the board (as you can use the other have of the board is not being used due to the close proximity of our objectives. Important! My brother's drop pod full of sternguard (proxied assault marines) land right infront of my mechanized column of infantry. He also has his vindicator in reserve and Khan outflanking by himself.

His shooting from his sternguard wrecks one of my tactical squads Rhino and my nearest Landspeeder to his firing line is stunned and has its Multi melta blown off.

Top of Turn Two

Vulkan riding with the sternguard and the tactical squad continue the assault on my brother's objective with the landspeeder. The captain, command squad, tactical squad and sternguard are left to deal with the suicide unit and drop pod.

My five man scout squad (the Basterds) outflank right onto my brothers objective! Disrupting gunline, check!

Shooting

My brother's suicide squad and drop pod, are obliterated. However, the resulting blast from the drop pod kills the apothecary and a space marine (looks like that drop pod made its points back)

Land Speeder Storm whiffs against the dreadnaught, the scouts kill only one space marine thanks to the sergeants combi-flamer (all the other scouts whiffed their shots). The rhino the the Land Speeder Storm questionably jumped over explodes due to multi-melta shot from my able-bodied landspeeder and the squad becomes pinned.

ASSAULT PHASE: The scouts assault the lascannon tactical squad killing three and losing to shotgun scouts in the process

Bottom of Turn 2

Khan outflanks from the right side, thanks to turbo boost he's driving like a bat out of hell straight towards my objective

Movement and Shooting:

Just wanted to take a solo picture of Khan because he's pretty awesome. In his movement phase his vindicator comes in from reserve next to his dakkapred, His rhinos on the right flank of my objective continue to advance undisturbed due to my lack of firepower and lack of memory to fire my scouts missile launcher at them.

His shooting results in the destruction of my Land Speeder Storm and my Able-bodied land speeder (the one that got stunned and MM destroyed is still alive) At some point, either this turn or third I lose two sniper scouts to the dakkapred

ASSAULT

Scouts wipe out tac squad and consolidate towards the dakka pred!

Turn Three

My tanks continue to advance on his objective... wow hurry up

My remaining land speeder shakes off the stun and gets into 'flaming' position

SHOOTING

The landspeeder's heavy flamer manages to kill two marines and a terminator

Khan loses two wounds to hellfire rounds fired by the sternguard. Toughness 5 with a 3+ save is pretty impressive, but the same goes to neurotoxin

ASSAULT

Scouts assault dakkapred, stunning and immobilizing it.

Bottom of Turn Three
    Or what I like to call the beginning of my brother's bad luck phase

Khan revs his engines towards the sternguard

His assaulting forces roll up in their rhinos and disembark ready to rock n' roll

SHOOTING

Dreadnaught mulches only two scouts with an assault cannon and a krak missile (only the beginning)

Notice how this picture is quite similar from the movement phase? After over thirty shots from bolters, 4 plasma shots and two flamer templates (each hitting seven models) my tactical squad loses only four marines and it was not because of my lucky rolling

ASSAULT

He tries to tag my landspeeder with kraks because his melta whiffs, good luck with that

Dreadnaught assaults scout sergeant, everybody whiffs all their attacks

And of course the fail of the game right here. Khan charges the sternguard. However it turns out the hellfire rounds got to him before he even knew it. In combat Khan misses all his attacks while the sternguard gently push him off his bike to let him die in peace.

TURN FOUR
    The beginning of the real carnage

Vulkan and the sternguard move up and disembark to finish my brother's scoring unit. Knowing my brother's terrible luck, I disembark my tactical squad in front of his terminators and prepare to fire

The weakened tactical squad falls back while the sternguard charge forward

I move my razorback up to bolster my defense line and disembark my command squad and captain

SHOOTING

Where did his tactical squad go? the combined fire of the command squad and sternguard completely annihilate his tactical squad

Vulkan gets the job done

The tactical squad kills two terminators, not bad (thank you melta guns)

Assault

Sergeant unfortunately gets trampled by the dreadnaught

Bottom of Turn Four

There wasn't much movement, the dreadnaught ran towards the terminators to help them. However my brother's remaining tactical squads retreats into their rhinos and them makes two consecutive tanks shocks clumping my sternguard, captain and command squad together.

Uh-oh

On a lighter note, his dreadnaught rolls quadruple ones, like that's impossible. I'm sorry but I have to do this lolololololololololol

Poop...

However at least everybody with and invulnerable save survived and a sternguard :p

ASSAULT

Termies and dread assault tactical squad. I think like two or three died.

Turn Five
    Note: turn five and six are a little bit of a blur

The captain, two remaining veterans and the sternguard climb out of the crater and the corpse pile left by the vindicator and run behind the rhinos while the razorback tries to screen

In the assault phase, Vulkan helps out the tactical squad by killing the two remaining terminators. Also the captain assaults the rhino containing the cowardly tactical squad and makes it explode

Bottom of Five

His remaining rhino makes off exposing my forces to the vindicator, should have seen that one coming

vindicator fires again, taking out a few space marine and pinning them, while the bolters and plasma from the tactical squad kill off the remaining veterans of the tactical squad

Dreadnaught is taken out by the sergeants powerfist

Turn Six

My remaining members of the tac squad pile into their rhino and squat down on his objective

The combined fire of the land speeder, razorbacks, and sternguard take out his cowardly tactical squad

Bottom of Six

The rhino technically contests my objective

my brother's
    Vindicator rolls towards his home objective. Note picture from top of 7th because my landspeeder is trying to flame it in the rear :p

.... Everything else is dead

Turn Seven

Nothing really happens. I try to shoot the vindicator but everything whiffs.

Captain assaults the rhino but only destroys the stormbolter and shakens it

Bottom of Turn Seven
    This is the defining turn where my brother screws himself over

Instead of just driving up beside the rhino to contest, he tanks shocks my rhino and wrecks it tossing my tac squad out of the rhino and right on to the objective!

Missed it by that much!!! With my tac squad sitting pretty on his objective and his rhino only contesting...

Victory!!! Vulkan and Friends!!!
    Last edited by Reeses; May 11th, 2011 at 03:26.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x3)

Good report so far
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Good report so far. I like your Lego terrain, though I think you should have tried to get a little more terrain there.

I voted for your Vulkan marines because I think your army makes more sense. Outflanking Khan by himself only doesn't really make sense to me. Moreover, I think your brother should have started his vindicator on the table as well. This makes it 1) an immediate threat that you would have to deal with and 2) will act as a fire magnet and draw fire away from his other units.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

Turn three and four are up!!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

I had to vote for Vulkan, think everyone understands
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x3)

Wow i think the vindicator earnt his points back in the one shot. And more so!
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

Turn Five, Six and Seven are up!!!

+ Reply to Thread