Zagman's Ard Boyz Finals Adventures - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

Zagman's Ard Boyz Finals Adventures

For all of those interested here are a couple of mini battle reports with pics of my three games at Ard Boyz Finals in Minneapolis MN this Saturday.

Here is a hint, I lost to the "Worst" army there!

I had an absolute blast, there was lots of tough competition and great players. Two of my opponents were awesome sports and I would be glad to play against them more often.

Lets start at the beginning.

50am
    I don my red and blue and prepare to protect the galaxy from hostile xenos scum and heretics.

Hey! It seemed hilarious at the time!

Next, my new and improved list. Designed to reduce my weakness to LD based attacks such as Psyker Battle Squads, Fear of the Darkness, Tank Shock, etc as well as give me some long range bite.

275 Draigo

175 Librarian ?
    MC NFSword +?
    Shrouding +?
    Sanctuary +?
    Might of Titan +?
    Servo Skull +?

670 Paladin Squad x 10 = ?
    2x Nemesis Falshions +?
    2x Nemesis Halberd +?
    2x Nemesis Force Sword +?
    2x Daemon Hammer and MC PsyCannon +?
    2x Nemesis Falshions + MC PsyCannon +?

335 Paladin Squad x 5 = ?
    Nemesis Falshions +?
    Nemesis Halberd +?
    Nemesis Force Sword +?
    Daemon Hammer and MC PsyCannon +?
    Nemesis Falshions + MC PsyCannon +?

195 Ven Rainman Dread ?
    AssaultCannon +?
    AutoCannon +?
    Psybolt +?

195 Ven Rainman Dread ?
    AssaultCannon +?
    AutoCannon +?
    Psybolt +?

260 Nemesis Dreadknight ?
    Nemesis Greatsword +?
    Heavy Incinerator +?
    Personal Teleporter +?

260 Nemesis Dreadknight ?
    Nemesis Greatsword +?
    Heavy Incinerator +?
    Personal Teleporter +?

135 PsyRifle Dread ?
    AutoCannon +?
    AutoCannon +?
    Psybolt +?

2500/2500

First game Necrons....yes necrons....and I lost. The guy is a great player and is the guy that edged me out for first at semifinals with his BA.

He had

Deceiver
    Lord(Destroyer body, Res Orb, Phase Shifter, War Scythe)

5x Pariah
    5x Immortals

3x10 Warriors

5x Disruption Scarabs

4x Destroyers
    4x Destroyers

3x Tomb Spyders
    Monolith
    Monolith

40K$Ard$Boyz$Finals$Scenario$1: Find$da$Loot!
    Mission:
    This is a special type of Seize ground. This mission uses 5 objectives Do Not Roll for objectives. One
    objective is placed in the center of the board. Then each player takes turns placing an objective in each
    table quarter not within 12 inches of another objective and not within 12 inches of a board edge.
    Excavation: The center objective is worth 3 objective points. Each of the other 4 objectives must be
    searched to see if it is a fake. Once a scoring unit comes into contact with an objective they must forgo a
    single shooting phase to identify the objective. Roll a d6 on a 1 it is a trap. Place a large template over the
    objective and each model covered (including partials) suffers a s5 ap – hit. On a 2-3 it is a fake and doesn’t
    count as an objective for victory purpose. On a 4-5 it is the real thing and counts for 1 objective point. On a
    6 it is a treasure trove, this is an objective that counts for 2 objective points.
    Deployment:$
    Use Pitched Battle as per page 92 of the main rulebook.
    Objective:
    Have more objective points than your opponent.
    Length$of$Game:
    This game will last 6 turns or until time is called as long as both players have played an even number of
    turns.
    Special$Rules:$
    Infiltrate (page 92)
    Outflank (Page 94)
    Deep Strike (page 95)
    Reserves (page 94)
    Seize the Initiative (Page 92)
    Massacre:
    If you have 5 more objective points than your opponent.
    Major$Victory:
    If you have 3 more objective points than your opponent.
    Minor$Victory:
    If you have 1 more objective point than your opponent.
    Draw:
    If both players have the same number of objective points.
    Battle$Modifiers:
    +2 If you hold all of the objective points.
    +1 If you control at least one table quarter (more scoring units entirely within one quarter than your
    opponent). Units within two quarters cannot score.
    +1 if you control at least 1 piece of terrain. (To control you need a scoring unit within 3” of a piece of
    terrain and there cannot be an enemy unit within 3 inches of the terrain).

He won the roll for initiative and had me deploy first, he chose not to sieze. I was laughing to myself at this point in time as I expected to get crushed by the Crons unless I could phase him. I was about to face a LD7 Tank shocks and there wasn't anything I could do about it. Plus, two montoliths moving up in a wall using a huge 18"x5"x1" wall can block LOS to most of his army. He reserved all of his warriors and walked them on.
    Had Pariahs right behind the moving wall for LD7 Tanks shocks, and I couldn't draw LOS to them. Not to mention the Deciever for more LD attacks.

It is a DriagoWing's worst nightmare. Also, every glance I got with my autocannons failed to more than stop his Monoliths from shooting, I never once slowed them down. His warriors walked on the corner and I attempted to shunt my DKs over there to go for phaseout. My DKs decided that making armor saves was for chumps as one fell. The other fell in CC after he instagibbed the Deceiver(Thank you Great Sword!) to a snake eyes perils to insta gibb his lord. I made a mistake and thought I was far enough away from the Deceiver, I wasn't. Random objectives were all worth one and the far right objective was worth 2.

He held 2 objectives, the other objectives were contested as well. All of our random objectives were worth one or two, highly unlikely. He played a perfect game and there was nothing I could do once my shunted dreadknights decided they didn't need to make armor saves or not perils to kill themselves. He denied phase out and scared most of my Paladins away At the end of the game only one paladin wasn't running away.

0:2 objectives Minor loss 8:15 battle points. About as good as I could have hoped for.

Second game MSU Purifier Psycannon spam GK with Libby/Paladins and Grenade Techmarine/Terminators in two ravens. Ed was a cool guy and were were having a blast.

He brought

Crowe
    Warding Staff Libby

5 x 5 pufifiers with 2x Psycannons, 2x Halberds, Hammer, in rhinos.
    5 Termies with hammer psycannon

SR
    SR

PsyrifleDread

40K$Ard$Boyz$Finals$Scenario$2: Total$Domination!
    Mission:
    Control table quarters while annihilating your opponent.
    Objective:
    You must control more table quarters than your opponent. To control a table quarter you must have more
    scoring unit inside the table quarter than your enemy in the same table quarter. No unit can control more
    than 1 table quarter at a time. If a unit is in more than 1 table quarter the unit counts as being in the table
    quarter it cannot control any quarters.
    Deployment:
    Use Spearhead as per page 92 of the main rulebook.
    Length$of$game:
    Use random game length as per page 90 of the main rulebook, or until time is called so that each player
    completes the same number of turns.
    Special$Rules:
    Infiltrate (page 92)
    Deep Strike (page 95)
    Outflank (Page 94)
    Reserves (page 94
    Massacre:$
    If a player controls 3 more table quarters than his opponent.
    Major$Victory:$
    If a player controls 2 more table quarters than his opponent.
    Minor$Victory:$
    If a player controls 1 more table quarters than his opponent.
    Draw:$
    If both players have the same number of table quarters then the game is a draw.
    Battle$Modifiers:
    +1 if you have at least 1 scoring unit in your enemy’s deployment zone.
    +1 if you control at least 1 piece of terrain. (more scoring units entirely within one quarter than your
    opponent). Units within two quarters cannot score
    +1 If you have destroyed all of your enemies scoring units.
    +1 Destroying all of your opponents elite choices (if they have none then you automatically get this bonus
    point

He win initiative and I fail to seize. I'm terrified of Mindstrike Missiles, but think I can weather the first turn of shooting even when my libby's head is going to explode. What I forget is that Mindstrikes are S4, not S5. Big oops. I also deploy about 3" too close with my dreads. Second Oops.

He had the initiative and mindstriked my libby with one SR, and Draigo with the other SR. Libby died hard, Driago was fine, also a wound or so on the paladins. He also killed my Psyrifledread, imobilised and dual weapon destroyed one ven dread while immobilizing the other. It was pretty nuts how much damage he did. I deployed my dreads thinking he would need to move over 6 to MM them and therefore be unable to Mindstrike me. Not with defensive weapons, ouch! After and abyssal first turn where his dice did wicked things I begin to claw myself out of the hole.

Game ended turn five with me holding my quarter with two imobilised and dual weapon destroyed ven dreads, his quarter with a lone paladin hiding in the ruins, an adjacent quarter with 4 paladins, while he held the final quarter with a single unit of purifiers. 19:4 Major victory.

I had 1W Driago, 1 psycannon paladin, 4 wounded paladins with three psycannons, and my two useless scoring ven dreads. He had his libby with 1 wound, and five purifiers in a rhino. Driago was a beast, turn 3 he pops a rhino, turn 4 he helps 2 paladins(soon to be one) in a multiassault wipe 2 5 squads of purifiers, turn 5 he pops his psyrifleman all on his lonesome and only 1W!

When it came to a shooting match the purifiers had trouble dishing out enough pain to kill the paladins. Thanks to wound allocation those MC Psycannons kept firing to the very end.

This puts me upper middle of the pack as these first two missions resulted in many many minor victories and draws, I need a Massacre to have a chance at placing.

Game 3 Mech IG. The first words this player said to me when i asked what he was fielding was, "I brought IG, I designed this list to kill DriagoWing." Needless to say I wasn't too keen on this particular player. It was not a very fun game for either of us, but I delt with it and him as you will soon see.

Dawn of War 1st turn night fight

Annihilation

He had
    Command in chimera with 4x melta
    Command in chimera with 4x melta

Psyker Battle Squad in chimera
    Psyker Battle Squad in chimera

AC Chimmeltavets
    AC Chimmeltavets
    AC Chimmeltavets
    AC Chimpalsmavets
    AC Chimplasmavets
    Vets with flamers and demolitions

Vendetta
    Vendetta
    Vendetta

Demolisher with Plasma Sponsons
    2x Hydra Flak Batteries
    Manticore

Ugg

40K$Ard$Boyz$Finals$Scenario$3: Red$Rum!
    Mission:
    Kill em all, Kill em good! Destroy your enemy while keeping your force alive.
    Objective:
    Use the Annihilation scenario found on page 91 of the rulebook.
    Deployment:
    Use Dawn o War found on page 93 of the rulebook.
    Length$of$game:
    Use random game length as per page 90 of the main rulebook, or until time is called so that each player
    completes the same number of turns.
    Special$Rules:
    Infiltrate (page 92)
    Deep Strike (page 95)
    Outflank (Page 94)
    Reserves (page 94)
    Night Fight (Turn 1 only)
    Massacre:
    If a player has 5 more kill points than his opponent.
    Major$Victory:$
    If a player has 3 more kill points than his opponent.
    Minor$Victory:$
    If a player has more kill points than his opponent.
    Draw:$
    If both players have the same kill points.
    Battle$Modifiers:
    +1 If you kill an enemy HQ
    +1 If you control at least one piece of terrain. (To control you need a scoring unit within 3” of a piece of
    terrain)
    +1 If no enemy units are in your deployment zone.

Lucky for me it is Annihilation, I just need to survive long enough to win as I have 9 KPs, he has 25.

We roll for sides, he wins and once he picks his side I notice one crucial thing, there is only one LOS blocking terrain feature in my deplooyment zone. A 12"x4"x1" wall. I also have two tiny hills that have no cover in the corners. As he is placing his first unit I try and get the judge over there to fix this, long story short he was deployed..... Afterwards I talked to the judge who told me that the nice piece of area terrain on his side should have been on my side filling the huge open fields.

I deploy Driago and 10 Paladins utilizing the wall. Its angled so from my left of the board he can see my units, he deploys his heavy hitters there and moves everything else on. First save, Driago fails his invuln.... Second save Draigo fails his invuls.... Oh hell no, this is B. A. D. bad news. I considered just packing up and starting my 3+ hour drive home... but I'm a trooper. He pops one paladin, puts 2 wounds on driago and isn't able to force a check and he can't make me run.

Long story short I walked the libby on and joined Driago's unit brought the dreads on and using the walls and dreads granted myself a whole mess of cover with good spaced coherency. I outflanked two dreadknights and decided to ds 5 paladins hoping to delay them and forgo getting wiped for a victory.

I fail to see with every unit the first turn. Really not good now.

2nd turn DKs and Pallys stay in the strike cruiser. I lose 2 paladins, not enough for a check, he immobilized and gets some can't shoots on my dreads. I survive. I proceed to start systematically decimating his force, taking the Demolisher, a vendetta. Not the best rolling for me so far.

3rd turn 2 Dks come in on the side I want!....errr offericer of the fleet. Nope wrong board edge! I lose 1 paladin and he immobilized my other dread and shakes a vendread. I take out both vendettas pluse a command squad with meltas he sacrificed. He offers to concede blaming my dice etc.... I refuse because it isn't fair to the other players.

Turn 4 He deals a wounds to a dreadknight, drops Driago to 1 wounds, and kills a paladin. I proceed to kill more things including another command squad, plus open some chimeras.

After his Turn 5 we call it as I will have lost 0 KPs, earned the massacre, and gained two of the three bonus points, the third being unattainable.

22:1 Massacre.

With a little moving and shaking at the other tables and a long wait, we finished over an hour early since I'm DriagoWing and half is army didn't have any targets I sat and waited, and waited, and managed to jump up to third place! Needless to say I was estatic!

1st Chaos SM
    2nd GK
    3rd DriagoWing(Me!)

We had between 1/3 and 1/4 GK, most didn't do well.

What makes 40k fun is that sometimes, if we do it just right and lady luck smiles on us, rock will kick the **** out of paper. And thats the way it should be.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice work dude! i'm surprised about that necron loss, though I liked his strategy. maybe a slightly more conservative DK usage would have helped? I stumbled upon you and jy's "baldandscreaming" debate whilst searching for the national results. Lotta GK hate out there. Heck, lotta GK hate on LO.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Congrats on a job well done. Way to come back to take 3rd. Though many say necrons are the worst army now, I think they still have a few surprises left. Then again, in the tournament, it's all about the matchups.

BTW, great game against your 3rd round opponent. Who says IG is the bane of Draigowing? They can still win with some shrewd play even against the likes of meltavets and vendettas. You have disproven the notion that paladins aren't competitive. They have done well on the national stage. My only regret was that I wasn't able to bring my Crowe-purifiers to the finals as well to show how good they are also.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by BarnyCarhamich View Post
    nice work dude! i'm surprised about that necron loss, though I liked his strategy. maybe a slightly more conservative DK usage would have helped? I stumbled upon you and jy's "baldandscreaming" debate whilst searching for the national results. Lotta GK hate out there. Heck, lotta GK hate on LO.
    Honestly, I can't say I blame them. While a lot of the finger-pointing may be attributed to not knowing how to play againt them, there are some truths to some of the allegations. GK's do get more bang for the buck than a lot of other armies out there, especially the xenos ones.

But most of the hate are from people who really don't know how to play against them.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x3)

The necron loss didn't surprise me. With a 3pt center objective and a moving AV14 LD7 Tank shock wall, I was powerless to take it. My only hope was to phase him for the massacre or draw though contesting.

My DKs got shot to bits and couldn't make a save. Even if the 2nd one didn't kill himself, he could have still died and not been able to phase him, with the wall and dual Monoliths I simply couldn't draw LOS to necrons. And too boot, I would have still had the Deciever and the Necron lord to contend with, well he got up anyway and I had to kill him again!

I was lucky to walk away with a minor loss against that opponent/list/mission/terrain combo. I was fighting a huge uphill battle.

As to the hate, most people are morons. The codex is tough, but no tougher than IG, SW, BA, DE. Hell, my final opponent who ran that nasty IG list was complaining, "I was powerless to defeat Matt Ward." As you can see from the batrep, he simply got outplayed.

The final results show :
    IG: 1st, 3rd,
    CSM: 1st
    DE: 1st
    GK: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd
    Eldar: 2nd
    DA: 3rd

Alll those GK players and non of them took a first.
    What makes 40k fun is that sometimes, if we do it just right and lady luck smiles on us, rock will kick the **** out of paper. And thats the way it should be.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    Congrats on a job well done. Way to come back to take 3rd. Though many say necrons are the worst army now, I think they still have a few surprises left. Then again, in the tournament, it's all about the matchups.

BTW, great game against your 3rd round opponent. Who says IG is the bane of Draigowing? They can still win with some shrewd play even against the likes of meltavets and vendettas. You have disproven the notion that paladins aren't competitive. They have done well on the national stage. My only regret was that I wasn't able to bring my Crowe-purifiers to the finals as well to show how good they are also.
    Thanks JY2. Crow Purifiers did do pretty well, my 2nd opponent was pretty shocked how poorly a shooting war between Paladins and Purifiers goes for the Purifiers. I still laugh when I think back to all of people who told me that paladins sucked in the beginning...where are they now? Fielding Paladins! Also, note that I didn't field and apothecary nor a brotherhood banner in my army. And Ven Rainmen dreads are pretty awesome.

That last game could have been ugly. I'm just glad it wasn't my good friend commanding the IG, he was unable to make finals due to work related issues at the last minute; he wouldn't have given me the opportunities my opponent did.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    Honestly, I can't say I blame them. While a lot of the finger-pointing may be attributed to not knowing how to play againt them, there are some truths to some of the allegations. GK's do get more bang for the buck than a lot of other armies out there, especially the xenos ones.

But most of the hate are from people who really don't know how to play against them.
    Well, I hate them as I play Daemons... I really think Ward went way too overboard on the amount of purely anti-daemon toys the GK's have. Prefered enemy is perfect for example, and Daemonbane isn't too bad with a Ld10 army, but crap like dark ex and the broken warp quake are just a needless nut-shot for an army that didn't need anymore grief... (mind you, Fortitude is the real bane of my army's existance)

Anyways, congrats Zagman on your 3rd place finish! (loved that you trashed an equally brutal IG list too!)

Honestly, outside of the daemon nerf, it's only Draigowing especially, mech Purifyer spam & certain Henchman set-up that really are the top builds... The grenades are pretty cheap too IMHO. (mainly thinking the psychos here, though rads on nob/'nid warrior squads quite are nasty).
    I think some of the additonal hate though is also just out of sheer fustration too. GK's have become all the rage in a number of areas, and I think alot of the hate is simply because most of the non-GK players are getting bored very fustrated at seeing the same half dozen or so lists every freaking game!

It still makes me laugh that people actually trashed pallys as crap when the codex first came out! Of corse 2-wound termies who can wound-allocate every single model were going to be tops! However, I have feeling that Draigowing will get seriously nerfed come 6th, as some of the rummors are hinting that wound allocation will be changing...

I'll go out on a limb & predict that by next year's 'Ard Boyz, (if 6th is out), Purifyer spam & Henchman lists will be the main GK lists. Maybe we might see some strike squads too just too add a few extra bodies?!

Congrats again Zagman!
    (btw, where there any Daemon list/s present?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Nice work Zag! Way to represent!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

Hey congrat's man. A friend of mine placed 3rd in Philly with his Deathwing. Where did you get those results from? I was looking for the results of the finals but can't seem to find them anywhere. Any idea what those Dark Eldar and Eldar lists were?
    The enemy's gate is down

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x3)

Thanks, I had the results from my location and I read the other results on DAKKADAKKA and just combined them all.

+ Reply to Thread